ImageImage

PG Nets - Bucks Roll (Eventually)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,649

Re: PG Nets - Bucks Roll (Eventually) 

Post#61 » by Profound23 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:40 pm

tydett wrote:Bucks are gonna give up 125 ppg in the playoffs and dudes here still gonna be like "Just wait 'til next season when the games really matter and this team starts trying."

Bucks are gonna win a game 140-125 in the playoffs and dudes here will still be whining about it.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#62 » by skones » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:44 pm

First things first, gotta give credit to Adrian Pennino for playing the young boys after years of Buddinhowser hating young guys!
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#63 » by crowhead76 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:22 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
Or, this is just who they have been all season.

they were a good defensive team for like most of december

In the month of December the Bucks DRTG is currently 14th in the league. That's not good, that's average

So kind of like Denver last year?
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#64 » by pifhluk23 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:28 pm

Anyone not concerned about the defense for a championship run just doesn't understand what it takes to win deep in the playoffs. 14th in DRTG in December while playing literally the easiest schedule in the league... Let's see how the team fares starting 1/11.
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 395

Post#65 » by JBucks » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:34 pm

Brook looked completely cooked last night. Even around the rim he can't stop anybody. He should really stop jacking up so many 3's. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw him make one.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#66 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:34 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:

they were a good defensive team for like most of december

In the month of December the Bucks DRTG is currently 14th in the league. That's not good, that's average

Sure. And that's the goal right, that just like Denver our offense will be elite enough to carry a mediocre defense to a Championship(it's also worth noting that Denver had the 4th best DRTG in the playoffs)

The question then becomes is Denver an outlier(no team had won a title with a DRTG as bad as theirs since 2001) or does the modern game not require a strong defense to win. We honestly probably won't know the answer to that until the playoffs and it'll be a good test to see who comes out of the East. Boston & Philly both have top 5 offenses & defenses this year. It's also worth questioning how much the Regular season itself even matters anymore as last year we saw a 7 & 8 seed each reach the Conference Finals. I'm a numbers guy and tend to look at historical trends so being ranked 20th overall in defense is a major red flag to me because only once in NBA History has a team won a title with a defense ranked that poorly, but that also doesn't mean it can't happen
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,788

Post#67 » by JayMKE » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:38 pm

Maybe the Bucks can load up on offense and play just enough defense during the playoffs to advance but that's definitely a radical departure from the previous identity of this team. Not sure if the plan of getting the refs swallow their whistles & let us mug other defenses in the playoffs after having welled earned the reputation of being pure ass terrible during the regular season is going to work.
FREE GIANNIS
crowhead76
Rookie

Post#68 » by crowhead76 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:38 pm

pifhluk23 wrote:Anyone not concerned about the defense for a championship run just doesn't understand what it takes to win deep in the playoffs. 14th in DRTG in December while playing literally the easiest schedule in the league... Let's see how the team fares starting 1/11.

Trade season will also be a factor, I do not think this is the roster that ends the season. Getting Jae back should help at least a little as well hopefully. There really is not one consistent above average perimeter defender that can funnel or stop drives on this team currently, getting one I think would make a big difference across the board.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
crowhead76
Rookie

Post#69 » by crowhead76 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:43 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Sure. And that's the goal right, that just like Denver our offense will be elite enough to carry a mediocre defense to a Championship(it's also worth noting that Denver had the 4th best DRTG in the playoffs)

The question then becomes is Denver an outlier(no team had won a title with a DRTG as bad as theirs since 2001) or does the modern game not require a strong defense to win. We honestly probably won't know the answer to that until the playoffs and it'll be a good test to see who comes out of the East. Boston & Philly both have top 5 offenses & defenses this year. It's also worth questioning how much the Regular season itself even matters anymore as last year we saw a 7 & 8 seed each reach the Conference Finals. I'm a numbers guy and tend to look at historical trends so being ranked 20th overall in defense is a major red flag to me because only once in NBA History has a team won a title with a defense ranked that poorly, but that also doesn't mean it can't happen

This is a great point and will continue to be a discussion for this board this year. Legler and Reddick discussed this on his podcast this week and made some interesting points. I do think the Bucks need to improve on defense to be a legitimate contender, however I am holding out hope for a trade for an elite perimeter defender to add to this offensive juggernaut.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#70 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:45 pm

<6ft

:lol:
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:

This is a great point and will continue to be a discussion for this board this year. Legler and Reddick discussed this on his podcast this week and made some interesting points. I do think the Bucks need to improve on defense to be a legitimate contender, however I am holding out hope for a trade for an elite perimeter defender to add to this offensive juggernaut.

Yea their pod was very interesting and I think they made some very solid points. I'm still a believer that the Bucks need to get their DRTG near 10ish or so to be a true title contender and we're still only in December so there is plenty of time to correct the issues plaguing them. That said I think it's disingenuous to act like the defense they've currently put out there is good enough or that we know for a fact that the defense will improve enough. I don't think we know yet
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#72 » by -Jragon- » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm

I want to see 1 game agaisnt a FB team where we're just all on fire.. imagine how many we score this game if Dame was lit
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 395

Post#73 » by JBucks » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:55 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:<6ft

:lol:

Brook is worse at the rim this season than Chet, Mobley, Turner, Porzingis, AD — list goes on.
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#74 » by -Jragon- » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:06 pm

Better yet, I know someone in here has bench ties.... whisper to the big 4 that the highest Bucks team point total in a game scored was 166 in a loss. Fck the individual records/averages. Let's build teamwork and chase team goals.

*1971 we had 66 wins.. let's beat that too.
*2021 we averaged 120 ppg .. this year it's 124.. let's smash it even harder and get 130
* 1983 Pistons for 186 points. Beat it, that will help everyone's ppg
* 1982 is when we got 166 .. if Dame was hot last night we beat it. Let's try...

If we focus in these team goals then everyone eats/ everyone's numbers and legacy increases and we're humming with great teamwork and awesome vibes heading into the playoffs. Plays, ball movement, fast breaks, create turnovers... I saw a lot of that last night plus the Big 3 finding each other for easy scores which is huge moving forward. Imagine as a fan (player)saying.. I remember cheering for (playing on) the Bucks when we won 67 games that year and WE broke all our scoring records and won a title
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,199

Post#75 » by midranger » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:08 pm

Finding hard to get too invested in this team with all the bad habits they are/have developing on defense and the glass. They are a lot of fun, but feels a bit like fool’s gold. Need that on court leader guy to hold people accountable, including the staff. PJ Tucker is him.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#76 » by Shaffty » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:09 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Yea their pod was very interesting and I think they made some very solid points. I'm still a believer that the Bucks need to get their DRTG near 10ish or so to be a true title contender and we're still only in December so there is plenty of time to correct the issues plaguing them. That said I think it's disingenuous to act like the defense they've currently put out there is good enough or that we know for a fact that the defense will improve enough. I don't think we know yet

since switching back to Drop the 5th game of the season they are 15th and only 1 point off 11th
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:29 pm

Shaffty wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:

since switching back to Drop the 5th game of the season they are 15th and only 1 point off 11th

Is 15th good enough? That's sort of the question right? It's directly average in the NBA and can you win a title with an average defense? The Nuggets were able to jump from 15th in the Regular season last year to 4th best in the playoffs, does Milwaukee have the ability to make a similar jump? Philly & Boston both are top 5 in offense & defense so I think I'd put us behind both at the moment, especially when you factor in strength of schedule(Boston has had the hardest schedule in the NBA, Philly is 13th, the Bucks are 29th). None of this is to write off the Bucks but I also think it's fair to be skeptical about such an obvious flaw
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#78 » by Shaffty » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:46 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Is 15th good enough? That's sort of the question right? It's directly average in the NBA and can you win a title with an average defense? The Nuggets were able to jump from 15th in the Regular season last year to 4th best in the playoffs, does Milwaukee have the ability to make a similar jump? Philly & Boston both are top 5 in offense & defense so I think I'd put us behind both at the moment, especially when you factor in strength of schedule(Boston has had the hardest schedule in the NBA, Philly is 13th, the Bucks are 29th). None of this is to write off the Bucks but I also think it's fair to be skeptical about such an obvious flaw

10-15 is totally fine
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,113

Post#79 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:51 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:

just going off of what my eyes tell me our soft schedule and home cooking has made more of an "improvement" than any real scheme changes have

thats not to say the drop hasnt helped but its more of a rinky dink improvement then some great big breakthrough
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:55 pm

Shaffty wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:

10-15 is totally fine

Is it? I'm much more skeptical. In the last 40 years only 2 teams have won a title with a DRTG worse than 12th. And even if you remove the first 4 games we're 15th against the league's 2nd easiest schedule, I'm not sure that tells me things are fine. You clearly have faith, but I'm much more skeptical

Return to Milwaukee Bucks