ImageImage

PG Denver: Bench? What Bench?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,949

Re: PG Denver: Bench? What Bench? 

Post#61 » by Brewhoopfan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:26 am

The switching 1-5 defense with Brook on the floor was..... interesting.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,084

Post#62 » by German Athens » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:33 am

Brewhoopfan wrote:The switching 1-5 defense with Brook on the floor was..... interesting.

At least we scram switched. It’s low hanging fruit, but somehow we didn’t do that under griffin. We’d just have a pg guarding a center in the restricted area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,949

Post#63 » by Brewhoopfan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:36 am

German Athens wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:The switching 1-5 defense with Brook on the floor was..... interesting.

At least we scram switched. It’s low hanging fruit, but somehow we didn’t do that under griffin. We’d just have a pg guarding a center in the restricted area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it a lot in the Boston game. Problem is that if Jokic is allowed to catch at 10-12 feet, Brook is toast.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,515

Post#64 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:39 am

HKPackFan wrote:
I was waiting for Dame time, but I feel like he didn't even attempt a jumpshot during dame time. Someone has to unlock him. (I just checked the last 5 minutes play by play, shows 2 missed layups almost exactly 5 minutes apart (5:19 and :24 seconds and that's it). That shouldn't happen.

OK I just paused on this for a second.

We have DAMIAN FKING LILLARD!!! DAMIAN GODDAMN LILLARD!!! And we got 1 layup attempt at 5 minutes and another at 24 seconds left. What in the actual FK!!!

Only in bucks fandom universe are we playing in a close game vs a title contender and Dame is on our team and Dame takes ZERO jumpshots during DAME TIME. :banghead: :nonono: :banghead:

Everyone failed for that to happen. Dame, the players, the coaches.

That's gotta get fixed.
#FreeChuckDiesel
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,084

Post#65 » by German Athens » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:40 am

Was it last year where we kept sending soft doubles to Jokic on the catch and he just absolutely carved us up?

Felt like this may have been our best game plan against him we’ve ever had. We were digging down on his drives, and showed some help once he would go into a move. We threw Giannis at him a few times to change the feel. Nothing felt like a horrible misstep.

We lost track of some cutters here and there, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it’s been in the past.
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 688

Post#66 » by Chessboxer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:42 am

I really liked what I saw from the Bucks tonight under Doc, and its only going to get better. Turnovers were the story of the game, but those can get cleaned up. The Bucks cut those down they most likely walk out with a win.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#67 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:43 am

RiotPunch wrote:
German Athens wrote:This game just really highlighted Bobby’s issues against good physical teams.

He can’t get to his spots, he’s never gonna get a call because he doesn’t actually play with any force, and then he starts to shy away from taking the open looks that do come his way.

Him passing up open corner threes just to do a methodical backdown is bad ball, man.

Then on the flip side, he doesn’t provide defensive value. He can rebound, and that’s his best contribution, but man does he shrink against tough defenses.

Yup, really a case in point game for Bobby being a liability in high stakes basketball games. When he's not making shots, he is not moving the ball and basically turning the ball over every possession with his shot attempts, while giving zilch defensively.

I feel like it's more rare though with Bobby.. usually he gives like some toughness or hustle to balance it out.. and he has good length... beas and KM get routinely assaulted. The do get some decent strips I guess but they can't stay with most wings
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#68 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:06 am

theFireBlanket wrote:
msiris wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
Those Dame turnovers were so unnecesary.
Mids did the samething.
Yeah, but it started with Dame & his were pretty over the top.

Hard to get this for you, I know, but 3rd quarter turnovers from surprise pressure that don't quickly turn into 10+ point leads are 1 thing...

Turnovers with 5 or 6 min left when the whole NBA knows Khris will get pressured there.. then dunk and you're quickly down around 10 points is serious and troubling that this has been a couple seasons of this b.s. now. I have a mini panick every time he stumbles around with the ball 4 ft behind the arc late in games .. like why... Indy does it every time to him.. stop giving him the ball at the end to dribble or dont have him in to close games. Jae or AJJ should play the final 5 min or we need to trade and get someone who accepts their shooter role and hustles/defends
kanyon
Junior
And1: 232

Post#69 » by kanyon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:13 am

Doc was leaning heavily into the power stance and we still couldn't win.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 1,019

Post#70 » by MiltownMadness » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:16 am

-Jragon- wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
msiris wrote:Mids did the samething.
Yeah, but it started with Dame & his were pretty over the top.

Hard to get this for you, I know, but 3rd quarter turnovers from surprise pressure that don't quickly turn into 10+ point leads are 1 thing...

Turnovers with 5 or 6 min left when the whole NBA knows Khris will get pressured there.. then dunk and you're quickly down around 10 points is serious and troubling that this has been a couple seasons of this b.s. now. I have a mini panick every time he stumbles around with the ball 4 ft behind the arc late in games .. like why... Indy does it every time to him.. stop giving him the ball at the end to dribble or dont have him in to close games. Jae or AJJ should play the final 5 min or we need to trade and get someone who accepts their shooter role and hustles/defends

You're suggesting Jae or AJJ get crunch-time minutes over Khris? Holy **** man thats gross :lol: :lol: :lol:
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,037

Post#71 » by mediocrityrules » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:05 am

We need a ball handler down the stretch if we're not using Dame. No one else that we have should be doing it regularly. (i.e., we need someone else).
Circling calendars since 2021
slos
Starter
And1: 1,196

Post#72 » by slos » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:14 am

Feeling good after a loss. What a strange feeling.. Some points from the game.

- We will be so good in the playoffs once the minutes of the starting unite ramp up.

- Finally something makes sense in the defence. Making Jokic work is always a good sign.

- Beasley is slowly working his way to the bench. What a bad timing for him to lose his hot shooting just weeks before the deadline with a new coach on board.

- I don’t get why Payne/Pat/Jae/Bobby should ALL play together with Giannis wasting his time out there. One of Dame or Midds should be in these lineups too.

- I don’t get how Bobby took the same amount of shooting with the big 4. His poor shot selection cost us a game.

- I appreciate Payne as a regular season minimum player, but he is unplayable against good teams. Would rather give his minutes to AJJ or Marjon to develop them.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,037

Post#73 » by mediocrityrules » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:29 am

Defense definately looked better, but Doc's rotations definately threw the players out a bit.

I do note that we probably fought over the top of 95% of screens. We rarely ever went under. It was really noticeable, and everyone was doing it.
Circling calendars since 2021
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,400

Post#74 » by RiotPunch » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:08 am

Bobby's 25 minutes tonight felt like 35.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#75 » by woosah » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:09 am

Chad34 wrote:
woosah wrote:Dame is not supposed to "fit". He's not a role player.

He's also not the player with the most gravity and efficiency on this team. He does need to fit IMO. We're not building around Dame, nor should we. Those days for him are over

Look where your mind went. It isn't the point.

You make a role player fit. You don't give up good assets and pay that type of contract to bring in a top 75 player and stick them in a corner for someone else's game. This isn't, or maybe I should say it shouldn't be a competition of gravity. It's about failing to acknowledge his though. If you're making that type of investment then you should make room. This takes the team running things he is comfortable with also, not iso and stand in the corner for a three on demand.

He doesn't have to make any more changes. He defers quite readily and is giving it a shot, and I do wish he'd be a little more Bobbyish but he can just go through the motions and renew his trade request this summer, reminding them that he didn't ask to be here and needs to go somewhere he can play his game. They would probably try to work on it then since Giannis seemed to extend because he's here, but it shouldn't come to that.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 1,019

Post#76 » by MiltownMadness » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:40 am

Bobby playing 25 minutes while he was -14 is what lost us this game, the problem with Doc is going to be rotations but I will sacrifice that for a defensive scheme that can win in the playoffs
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#77 » by M2J » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:44 am

woosah wrote:
Chad34 wrote:
woosah wrote:Dame is not supposed to "fit". He's not a role player.

He's also not the player with the most gravity and efficiency on this team. He does need to fit IMO. We're not building around Dame, nor should we. Those days for him are over

Look where your mind went. It isn't the point.

You make a role player fit. You don't give up good assets and pay that type of contract to bring in a top 75 player and stick them in a corner for someone else's game. This isn't, or maybe I should say it shouldn't be a competition of gravity. It's about failing to acknowledge his though. If you're making that type of investment then you should make room. This takes the team running things he is comfortable with also, not iso and stand in the corner for a three on demand.

He doesn't have to make any more changes. He defers quite readily and is giving it a shot, and I do wish he'd be a little more Bobbyish but he can just go through the motions and renew his trade request this summer, reminding them that he didn't ask to be here and needs to go somewhere he can play his game. They would probably try to work on it then since Giannis seemed to extend because he's here, but it shouldn't come to that.

My overly simple solution would be to focus more on Dame for offense and let guys that can defend like Kris and Giannis give more there. Hiding players like him on defense then under utilizing on offense, doesn't make sense. Giannis is capable of working his way into 30pts with transition and rebounds and being an outlet anyhow.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,261

Post#78 » by Sigra » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:39 am

Just finished watching.

1. Defense is better for sure. Normal NBA defense now. Not because of Doc (too early) but because Grief left.

2. Bench is terrible but in playoffs nobody use bench much anyway. BTW, Portis is so bad at road. Completely different player at home:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/portibo01/splits/2024

3. Still "chemistry" problem between our "rhythm" players (Khris and Dame). Any by "chemistry" I don't mean that they don't like each other. Just that both are rhythm players and with Giannis being 1st option (as he should be) there is just not enough time for both of them to get in rhythm. Khris being here 10 years handle it better (more confident) in first half but now is on Dame's way at the end of games too. This is mess honesty. Great teams that win title always know who is that guy with ball in his hands at the end of games. Khris was our when we won it. But Dame should be now. So, trade Khris or put him on bench at least (and tell him that Dame is the man at the end of games). Or trade Dame. But this is not going to work like this.

4. Beasley will be problems in playoffs against good teams. Need upgrade at SG.
verbalhologram
Pro Prospect
And1: 94

Post#79 » by verbalhologram » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am

Khris should never handle the ball again.Park him on the perimeter and as soon as he dribbles the ball bring him off. The guy has been a turnover machine this year.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,413

Post#80 » by rilamann » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:50 am

Those Middleton posts in the GT in the 1st quarter aged worse than Middleton's game.

If firing Griffin was priority #1, trading Middleton before the deadline needs to be priority #1B.

Bobby can go ASAP as well.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****

Return to Milwaukee Bucks