ImageImage

MJS first day of camp story (Potsie out)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Re: MJS first day of camp story (Potsie out) 

Post#61 » by Swan Vox » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:04 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/62760887.html

St. Francis — Is Milwaukee Bucks second-year forward Joe Alexander facing another significant injury setback early in training camp?

Alexander hopes not, at least not to the extent that he experienced last season when he was attempting to break into the NBA.

Alexander watched both of the Bucks' practices from the sideline Tuesday on the opening day of training camp due to a strained hamstring that he suffered a week ago. It was a scene similar to last season, when Alexander missed extended time in camp due to a stomach injury. It was an injury that set his rookie season back for some time.

According to coach Scott Skiles, Alexander's injury will be re-evaluated in a few days.

"It's nothing major," Alexander said after the afternoon practice. "It's getting better and it really feels fine. It's preventative (to sit out), so a few more days of rest and I'll be fine."

Even so, Skiles does not like players, especially the younger ones, to miss practice at this time of year.

"He's going to miss time early on again," said Skiles. "The first couple weeks of exhibition season you're trying to get your foundation in that you fall back on at some point in the season, so it's tough for anybody to miss this, but it's really tough on a young player."

Alexander said this injury was not as bad as the one he suffered last season.

"No," he said. "Nothing like that."
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#62 » by Swan Vox » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:08 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/62763702.html

Jennings battles through first day
By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel
Sept. 29, 2009

St. Francis - Nobody said two-a-day practices would be easy.

Bucks rookie point guard Brandon Jennings got his first taste of NBA-style two-a-day sessions on Tuesday as the team opened training camp. And the first-round draft pick produced a mixed showing, according to coach Scott Skiles.

"He wasn't very good tonight," Skiles said of Jennings' performance in the second, non-contact session. "He was good this morning. It's part of the NBA, getting through these things. I would imagine we do more in our non-contact practices than some other teams do.

"Fatigue from this morning, there are various things to battle through. I thought he was very good this morning in the long contact practice, and not as good tonight."

The Bucks practiced for 2 1/2 hours in their morning contact session, and Jennings hit some clutch jump shots in the scrimmage portion of the workout.

"Being in Europe for a whole year, we did it all the time," Jennings said of two-a-days. "This is a little different. The competition is better, and I'm out here in the rotations and doing stuff. Usually in Europe I was on the sidelines just watching and chilling.

"So here I have to get used to basically just playing again. I was a little fatigued and a little tired. My group didn't do too good running the offense, and so I let my frustrations get to me and everything started going down from there."

Jennings said it was good to have everyone together in a structured setting, after many players have taken part in informal workouts for the past month.

Asked what stood out to him the most about Tuesday's practices, Jennings didn't hesitate.

"There's a whole lot of defense we have to do, and that's something I'm going to have to get really used to," he said. "I just have to be mentally prepared for it all the time."
jimmy_n13
Junior
And1: 15

Post#63 » by jimmy_n13 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Great recap! You know now we expect one of these for pretty much everything. You're probably going to have to quit your job.

Did anyone look really out of shape? How did Redd and Bogut look fitness wise in your opinion?
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by Swan Vox » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:10 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/62752827.html

Fast-break Bucks?
By Tom Enlund of the Journal Sentinel
Sept. 29, 2009

St. Francis - Quite a bit of time in Tuesday second practice was spent on the transition game and early offense, areas of the game that the Bucks hope to improve on this season. Coach Scott Skiles had groups of five running the court against no defense, doing the routes and making the cuts that they would on the break.

“Basically that’s what we spent most of today on was early offense,” said Skiles after the non-contact workout.

With rookie Brandon Jennings joining veteran Luke Ridnour at point guard, the Bucks hope the transition game will be a big part of things offensively this season.

“We would like it to be,” said Skiles. “Last year we were, I would say, fair at best on the break. We left far too many opportunities on the table in just advantage breaks…three-on-two and where we had an advantage. I’m not talking about our structured break, our early offense like that, but we need to get better out of transition for sure.”

Said veteran guard Charlie Bell: “With Brandon Jennings, as fast as that guy is, and the way Luke (Ridnour) likes to push the ball up and down the court, we’re going to have to be in shape to run with those guys because they’re going to be up and down. The (informal) scrimmaging we’ve been doing in the last couple weeks, we’re seeing (Ridnour) and Brandon really pushing the ball. We’re definitely going to be a fun and exciting team. A team with athletic ability …we’ve got a lot of guys that can run the floor.”
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#65 » by BDUB_30 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:26 pm

paul wrote:
emunney wrote:I would prefer he try to dominate right away and then adjust as necessary.

I wouldn't. Like it or not there's a pecking order in the NBA and he's a rookie. I want him to do exactly what his coach tells him to do and I don't wanting him stomping his way over toes in the locker room during his first week of practice. If you guys do then as Bobby Brown would say that's 'your perogative', but team chemistry is going to be vital moving forward and a 19 year old coming in and hogging the ball during his first practice is not going to help that. Actually I think he just turned 20 but the point stands.

Jennings has plenty of time to showcase his wide array of skills this week, no need to do it in the first two hours and get reemed by a coach who is renowned for his 'my way' approach and possibly get a few teammates offside right from the getgo.

Ease your way in then take over when the time arrives Brennings.

This is a really great post . Alot of people really dont understand what nba coaches want from their rookies , and its not to come in and try to " dominate " right from the start.

An example would be Derrick Rose , now most people who struggle to notice the nuances would say , heres a rookie that came in and established himself early . To some degree he did that , but he also caused alot of turmoil , and if you were to ask Del Negro he wanted alot LESS from Rose , not more . He wanted more patience , less shooting , less ball dominance etc etc . Rose caused alot of turmoil in chicago with his " come in and dominate " approach.

In regards to jennings , i hope he gets it because if he does not " get it " he will find himself on the bucks bench and eventually on the trading block . Scott Skiles and John Hammond want no part of ANY PLAYER dominating the ball on offense and playing for their self. That is simply not what Skiles and Hammond beleive in when it comes to basketball . These guys are all about 5 man offense , moving the ball and cuting , aka motion offense . IF for some reason jennings goes in there and tries to do play selfish one on 5 basketball , he will ride the pine . If he continuely does it , he wont be in this city long . I have confidence he wont , i am sure they have been in his ear since day one and he fully understands that his JOB as a pg is to simply do what coach says , not " try to dominate from game one " .

Very nice post Paul , i think you understand the reality of being an nba rookie . The days of iso based basketball are coming to an end . Nothing is wrong with a little 1on5 here or there , but that should always come AFTER you try to run your sets. Fortunatly for us as fans , Jennings will not be judged on his box score , but on how well he runs this team and gets them into their sets , on how well he conistantly commands the offense .I want to see him dominate in THAT regard , i want to see him take control of the offense and get people the damn ball. I dont care what he averages in terms of points / assists . Just get people that damn ball and take the shot WHEN IT COMES TO YOU. Maybe use your one on one skills here or there when the offense breaks down but if he even thinks about dominating the ball he is in for one big suprise with Skiles .
BDUB_30
Banned User

Post#66 » by BDUB_30 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Swan Vox wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/62752827.html

Fast-break Bucks?
Sept. 29, 2009

St. Francis - Quite a bit of time in Tuesday second practice was spent on the transition game and early offense, areas of the game that the Bucks hope to improve on this season. Coach Scott Skiles had groups of five running the court against no defense, doing the routes and making the cuts that they would on the break.

“Basically that’s what we spent most of today on was early offense,” said Skiles after the non-contact workout.

With rookie Brandon Jennings joining veteran Luke Ridnour at point guard, the Bucks hope the transition game will be a big part of things offensively this season.

“We would like it to be,” said Skiles. “Last year we were, I would say, fair at best on the break. We left far too many opportunities on the table in just advantage breaks…three-on-two and where we had an advantage. I’m not talking about our structured break, our early offense like that, but we need to get better out of transition for sure.”

Said veteran guard Charlie Bell: “With Brandon Jennings, as fast as that guy is, and the way Luke (Ridnour) likes to push the ball up and down the court, we’re going to have to be in shape to run with those guys because they’re going to be up and down. The (informal) scrimmaging we’ve been doing in the last couple weeks, we’re seeing (Ridnour) and Brandon really pushing the ball. We’re definitely going to be a fun and exciting team. A team with athletic ability …we’ve got a lot of guys that can run the floor.”

This is clearly the model of what the bucks are trying to do . Defend first , priortize the defense . Get out and get easy looks on offense . In the half court set , use the pass and try to work the ball around for the best look for the TEAM .

I can dig it .
MBucks89
Freshman

Post#67 » by MBucks89 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:25 pm

anything on jodie?
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#68 » by Nebula1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Nice post GAD.

Looking forward to seeing this team transition out of D.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,295

Post#69 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm

crkone wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:

Really?

You are going to "toot your own horn" for regurgitating what Hammond has been saying all summer long?

Really?

I give him props. He said right when he heard about the injury that he would be back for camp. Even before any Bucks' official said what his time table would be.

+1
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,445

Post#70 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:38 pm

+10000 on Jez getting props.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#71 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Redd, Bogut encouraged
Sept. 30, 2009 12:31 p.m.

St. Francis – So far, so good for guard Michael Redd and center Andrew Bogut.

True, the Bucks have only gone through only three practices in their training camp which doesn’t sound like a heck of a lot. But both players, coming back from serious injuries, responded well physically to the first day of training camp on Tuesday and were feeling good Wednesday morning and that was the first test in their return.

"It’s definitely encouraging,” said Bogut who missed 43 games last season with a lower back injury. “My back’s held up pretty well. It gets tight from time to time but I don’t have any pain. I just get some tightness so then you do stretching and those things.

“Now that we’re past that test, now it’s try to go three in a row, four in a row, and see how that goes.”

Redd, who is coming off major knee surgery, said, “It feels good. I’m encouraged. My movement has been pretty good. I haven’t played since January so this is new for me.”

Bogut and Redd both when through a rather demanding contact practice Tuesday morning which opened the team’s training camp. The two players did not take part in the non-contact workout that coach Scott Skiles conducted Tuesday afternoon. During that practice, Bogut and Redd both spent some time on the treadmill and did some stretching on the side.

Both took part in a non-contact workout Wednesday morning and said they planned to participate in what Skiles says will be a hard practice Wednesday night.

The Bucks are proceeding slowly where Bogut and Redd are concerned and were pleased that neither player experienced any adverse affects from the first day of training camp.

“It was great,” said Skiles after Wednesday morning’s practice. “Michael and Andrew both moved well. Both guys want to participate as much as they can in the contact practices. So in the non-contact ones, it’s not like we’re trying to hold them out but we’re trying to keep them as fresh as we can for I guess what I would call the ‘main’ practice of the day.”

Sounds like this afternoons practice is going to be a tough one.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#72 » by Nebula1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Glad to hear Mike is back. Hope we stick with him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,380

Post#73 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 pm

trwi7 wrote:+10000 on Jez getting props.
Redd Shaman
Junior
And1: 25

Post#74 » by Redd Shaman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Nice breakdown GAD; thanks
Stop. HAmmond TIme!
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,262

Post#75 » by Sigra » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:03 pm

emunney wrote: He's unstoppable. He does what he wants.

There is only one player in NBA who fit that description and even he need refs for that
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#76 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Oct 1, 2009 12:42 am

Just got back from the afternoon practice at the Cousins Center. What an experience. Hard place to find, but I've rarely spent any time in St Francis and don't know the south side/bayview as well as I should.

So, I walked in about 5 minutes late. When I got there they were running fast break drills. 3 on none, once down and once back. Jennings shooting was cold from outside, Bogut actually knocked down a couple jumpers, Warrick was mostly putting up layups, Elson dunked a couple, Ridnour and Ersan were shooting well. This went on for about 15 minutes. I think they ran with defenders for a couple minutes.

They broke up into three groups then and did individual position work.

Point guards - Dominic James, Jennings, Ridnour, Roko
SG/SF - Redd, Bell, Delfino, Meeks, Tyndale
PF/C - Warrick, Ilyasova, Bogut, Thomas, Elson, Hubbard

Points were working on driving, getting penetration, step back shots, base line jumpers (Jennings airballed one) and finishing at the rim. Jennings showed some good step back moves, but also missed some jumpers bad, finished at the rim well, got around his man well, excellent handle on the ball one on one.

SG/SF were on the other side of the gym and I didn't really watch them as closely. I was keeping an eye on Redd to see how hard he was going and he was going hard at Bell when they were working on driving the lane, I can see why Bell's eye got all busted up, he worked his tail on defense.

PF/C was an interesting position to watch. Ilyasova was just draining jumpers from all over the floor. Needs to work on his handle, but when he was spot up shooting or one dribble shooting he was extremely consistent. Warrick didn't really do to much to distinguish himself. Not really his game to stand around and try to score, he does much better in transition.

Bogut and Kurt went at it hard a couple times, they did joke around afterwards, so I think the old man is just trying to be tough on Bogut. It's really good for him too I think. Bogut hit the floor pretty hard a couple times. He bounced back up pretty quickly but once he left the floor I could see him walking gingerly for a minute.

It was in the next drills, 3 on 3 half court that Bogut was injured. Not sure what it was exactly. He was diving for a loose ball and going pretty hard when he hit the floor arms out and either jammed his wrist, hit his arm, or gave him serious floor burn. Or a combination of those, he definitely had an issue with his right wrist. He played one more play and then took himself out and went to the trainers room. Didn't see him again until he was watching the 5 v 5 at the end.

Overall from Bogut I saw good mobility, no restrictions, he needs to definitely work on his conditioning a bit though, he was getting gassed quick. Basketball shape is something you can only get from playing basketball, which has been awhile for him so I think he'll be fine.

In the 3 on 3 half court drills they were working on different offensive/defensive sets. Establishing position and getting the ball into the big man, motion, screens, pick and pops. Teams were only awarded for defensive plays on the ball. Rebound, block, steal, missed shot, etc.

Ilyasova continued to show good range from outside. Warrick was pretty invisible for most of the time until he threw down a huge dunk and made the super quiet crowd actually make some noise for a minute. He seemed to gain some confidence from that and made a nice little post move the next time he got the ball. After that he was mostly invisible on offense, but he did rebound the ball well and come up with some deflections.

Jennings didn't really stand out well in the half court sets, but he did penetrate well and get some nice kick outs, but also made some mistakes. He really seems like Skiles pupil as numerous times he would go up to Jennings and talk to him so nobody (at least in the audience) could hear him. Most of the times he would talk for 20-30 sec. He seems to be not ruling with an iron fist with him, at least yet.

Meeks really was treated a bit differently I feel. He seemed to make plenty of mistakes today just by purely not even knowing what was being run. He was constantly in the wrong spot before the play was being run. Skiles seemed to get a bit annoyed that he had to stop the play numerous times before it started because of Meeks. He was pulled for awhile while Sampson talked to him on the side.

Meeks showed he can shoot the ball today, but it doesn't seem he's mentally prepared yet. I'd be surprised to see him get minutes early on, maybe after a couple months.

They ran fast break drills again for awhile, 3 on 3 full court and then 5 on 5 full court. Jennings made some creative plays and some boneheaded mistakes, but they were moving at game speed and he's definitely showing some flashes of being a very, very good distributor. He's just got to get comfortable with the speed of the game and reading defenses and playing against guys of this caliber, but I think he's going to be fine.

I don't see him as the starting PG on this team come opening night. Maybe if he has a great preseason we'll see, but I have a feeling Skiles will want a steady hand to start the game even if he has to pull Ridnour before the rest of the starters, I see Luke being out there at the start.

Mbah Moute's shot looks great he's definitely improved on that aspect. He defense was phenomenal as well, he was consistently breaking up plays and being praised by the coach.

Kurt Thomas was another guy getting constant praise from the coach. I can see why Skiles wants him and won't be trading him. He's a coach on the floor. He's constantly showing guys where to go, very reminiscent of Kukoc. KT is a tough guy, a good rebounder and pretty automatic with a 15 foot jumpshot. He'll be a great presence for our frontcourt.

Other things I can think of are Skiles at one point did lash out at the group when they were running 3 on 3 drills "Guys when the drill is over, get off the court. Hustle. Andrew, Charlie, you guys know about this already. Let's go. I want to see you push it."

I think it was shortly thereafter that Andrew dove for the loose ball and hurt himself.

I was sitting a couple seats down from Rick Majerus the whole time. At some point Ron Walter sat down and John Hammond joined him just a couple feet away from me. Man, the questions I wanted to ask these two. Couldn't do it though, I didn't say a word. But I did listen as best as i could.

They were there for most of the 5 on 5 scrimmage at the end.

RW asked JH "Where did you get these refs", JH "I don't know. No idea"...RW asked JH "What's going on with the refs, are they going to be back in time?" , JH said "not sure, negotiating with them, it'll probably get done"....RW asked Jon 'what's Joe doing?" (as JA was on the sidelines)...JW said "He's just moping around there on the side" (shaking head)

I couldn't hear everything, but I'm positive about them talking about Joe. Hammond even stood up to get a better look of JA and the look on his face just said it all. I think the organization is very frustrated with Joe. Not sure how well JA was conditioning himself in the offseason, but hamstrings are usually a lack of conditioning or a guy going out and drinking (not just hamstrings but most cramping).

From the information thats out there, it wouldn't surprise Joe parties like an idiot and doesn't take care of his business because he's frustrated with no playing time, but he won't get PT if he doesn't put in the time. I'd be really shocked if he's ever a contributing member of this team. I think we should dump him in the next trade we make to get rid of him.

Based on what I gathered today and my gut feelings I would bet the starting lineup and rotation looks like this on opening night

Ridnour/Jennings/Roko
Redd/Bell/Meeks
Mbah Moute/Delfino/JA
Ersan/Warrick/KT
Bogut/KT/Elson/Gadz

Other notes - Gadz did not play today, he did make an appearance at the end. Roko Ukic appeared to get frustrated and was pulled from a couple drills and sat on the sideline looking annoyed. He looked very much like just a guy today.

I think thats enough for now, but if you have any questions let me know
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#77 » by steger_3434 » Thu Oct 1, 2009 12:58 am

Thanks a lot ESBF. I still can't believe Hammond drafted JA. I know I should just move on, but besides 15 games or so in college the guy was awful even in college. Amazing that a 15 game stretch can get you into the lottery. Especially in a draft as deep as last year's was.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#78 » by paul » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:02 am

Great recap thank Eastside, man we need to get one of you guys accredited so we can have reports every day! Seems like Bogut hasn't got a major problem with whatever injury he had today -

Andrew Bogut on twitter wrote:So tired my fingers are too sore to tweet! Camp is going well, we are going hard....

17 minutes ago from web
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#79 » by paul » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:04 am

DrugBust wrote:
trwi7 wrote:+10000 on Jez getting props.

BDUB_30 wrote:Very nice post Paul

Thanks Dub.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#80 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:11 am

Brandon Jennings My body is tired........ smh! rookie wall i hope not.
43 minutes ago

-Facebook Update

Looks like Jennings is pretty tired from this afternoons practice.

But, does anyone know what smh stands for?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks