ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,981

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Russilo/Horst pod pg.32 

Post#661 » by emunney » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:28 pm

How **** are you if you're a billionaire and you're choosing things that are less fun based on money? Like what's the plan?

On one hand, my absolute dream, but on the other hand, prudent investment to no end?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,767

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Russilo/Horst pod pg.32 

Post#662 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:00 pm

I was listening to the Simmons pod with Chuck Klosterman, who has really clever takes from time to time. Bill took the conversation in a really weird direction, and claimed every time a pair or duo breaks up there is always a winner and a loser. He went on to list winners of pairs that split, and it got weird when he got to Key and Peele because they are friends and not competing with each other. Chuck tried to exit the construct. Bill, who maybe has never read a book in his life than started using pro wrestling tag teams, which is weird, as pro wrestling storylines and careers are scripted.

There was a discussion here a few days ago about if certain tv shows are smart, dumb shows or dumb, smart shows. I think its fair to ask if Bill Simmons is the dumbest smart sportswriter or the smartest dumb sportswriter. He has talent and creativity, but jeez.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,828

Post#663 » by tedbrogen » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:09 pm

Klosterman is a clever dude who writes interesting stuff when it’s topics he knows a bit about.

Simmons is the smartest dumb sportswriter. He’s surface level analysis with no substance. Comparing Harden-Embiid splitting with Bennifer or the Rockers is not something I care to listen to.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#664 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:21 pm

I used to be a dedicated Simmons listener but now it's more occasional. It's actually impressive he's still relevant considering his schtick was a 'common fan' perspective and he's now very wealthy and pretty famous. Very much not a common man. Plus he's so old his pop culture references don't really work as well anymore.

But he is a good interviewer. It's painful listening to some of these podcasters step all over their interview subject or not get anything interesting.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,425

Post#665 » by randy84 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:58 pm

emunney wrote:How **** are you if you're a billionaire and you're choosing things that are less fun based on money? Like what's the plan?

On one hand, my absolute dream, but on the other hand, prudent investment to no end?

To billionaires, making money is fun.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,000

Post#666 » by soxperry » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:08 am

critiquing Bill Simmons on a late July pod that was mostly pop culture based is like critiquing our new coach for his summer league team performance. Simmons is absolutely elite at certain things, not sure why you would expect anything beyond that.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#667 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:21 am

emunney wrote:How **** are you if you're a billionaire and you're choosing things that are less fun based on money? Like what's the plan?

It's not like owning a sports franchise is the only way to have fun. We are talking about decisions in the 9 figures where 'oh it would be fun to still own the team' vs 'i could star a new business' or 'buy a yacht plus a soccer team' type moves. It's not like he has a huge connection to Milwaukee and already for a ring. Just cause these guys are billionaires doesn't mean they would be conflicted lighting millions on fire for a declining team. It's totally rationale to cash out and do other stuff. I'm just glad the remaining owners are willing to go all in. We have consistently had a top 5 payroll in a cba that's extremely punitive to having a high salary. We may not have the best owners but feel we lucked out considering the discussions we had when Kohl was ready to aell
emunney
RealGM

Post#668 » by emunney » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:29 am

randy84 wrote:

To billionaires, making money is fun.

That's pretty ****!
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,379

Post#669 » by RiotPunch » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:40 pm

Just got around to listening to last Monday's Hoop Collective, not sure if anyone has mentioned that Bontemps had the Bucks as his biggest offseason winner. 38:22
https://youtu.be/8jhSNVXXPwY?t=2302
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,287

Post#670 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:50 pm

Just saw it's likely Jackson is getting demoted or fired. Dorris and likely Doc are in.

Looking at it now really wish they only changed Jackson for Doc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using RealGM mobile app
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#671 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Makes sense to me. I thought she did a good job whenever she filled in for Zora last season.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,129

Post#672 » by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:37 pm

She worked her way up and paid her dues, so it's deserving. Congrats
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,115

Post#673 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:58 pm

I thought she did well when she filled in
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,514

Post#674 » by HKPackFan » Wed Aug 2, 2023 6:47 am

Melanie is a great fit for sideline reporter. Home grown talent, been with the organization a long time, easy on the eyes, and has good rapport with some of the players already.
#FreeChuckDiesel
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,190

Post#675 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Aug 2, 2023 12:30 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
Read on Twitter

Makes sense to me. I thought she did a good job whenever she filled in for Zora last season.

Great choice.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,762

Post#676 » by chonestown » Wed Aug 2, 2023 1:04 pm

Melanie's Rick
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#677 » by BuckFan25226 » Wed Aug 2, 2023 1:09 pm

Melanie is amazing.

Awesome pick!
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
emunney
RealGM

Post#678 » by emunney » Thu Aug 3, 2023 4:59 pm

chonestown wrote:Melanie's Rick

Where can I find a Rick like that
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,762

Post#679 » by chonestown » Thu Aug 3, 2023 5:29 pm

emunney wrote:
chonestown wrote:Melanie's Rick

Where can I find a Rick like that

First thought straight off the head is Gimbels, but baby, Gimbels is dead.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,000

Post#680 » by soxperry » Fri Aug 4, 2023 6:13 am

To me, the best thing about Melanie is her vibe. I hope that translates to the role she is being promoted to.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks