PG Denver: Bench? What Bench?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,224

Re: PG Denver: Bench? What Bench? 

Post#81 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 am

Sigra wrote:Just finished watching.

3. Still "chemistry" problem between our "rhythm" players (Khris and Dame). Any by "chemistry" I don't mean that they don't like each other. Just that both are rhythm players and with Giannis being 1st option (as he should be) there is just not enough time for both of them to get in rhythm. Khris being here 10 years handle it better (more confident) in first half but now is on Dame's way at the end of games too. This is mess honesty. Great teams that win title always know who is that guy with ball in his hands at the end of games. Khris was our when we won it. But Dame should be now. So, trade Khris or put him on bench at least (and tell him that Dame is the man at the end of games). Or trade Dame. But this is not going to work like this.

Doc could wind up perfect for making it work.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
tsamo
Junior
And1: 212

Post#82 » by tsamo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:07 am

As many other people have mentioned, we need to solve the Dame problem and fast.

On that note, I thought that him and Giannis were meeting constanly and talking/training about how to better help one another? What happened with that? Because frankly neither player seems able to help the other that much.

Dame probably needs the ball on his hands even more, but his splits are so bad that it makes no sense to do it if it loses us games. Does he need more... more what? Possessions? Shots? Reps? Screens? Sets? Schemes?

Whatever it is, we need to give it to him if we can, because right now he is inconsistent as all hell.
Bucksmaniac
Analyst
And1: 1,001

Post#83 » by Bucksmaniac » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:Really enjoyed that game, reminded me of seasons of old. Season is about to get a lot more enjoyable, cheers.

Seasons of old we would’ve won this game because we owned the paint, but now we have to shoot well in addition to defend the paint well against a good team to win.
Bucksmaniac
Analyst

Post#84 » by Bucksmaniac » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Somebody watch old Portland tape and tell us what’s wrong with Dame.

I guarantee he’d be playing better with his old confidant Stotts at the helm.
Bucksmaniac
Analyst

Post#85 » by Bucksmaniac » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:36 pm

Siefer wrote:Still need someone who can actually defend on ball, but the D already looks miles better. The offense clunked up after the first, and those turnovers in the 3rd were a killer.

New coach honeymoon, if we can’t win during the new coach honeymoon period it’s a lost cause.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,813

Post#86 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:57 pm

Beasley is now 10-35 (28%) from 3 over his last 8 games.
Bucksmaniac
Analyst

Post#87 » by Bucksmaniac » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:59 pm

Chessboxer wrote:I really liked what I saw from the Bucks tonight under Doc, and its only going to get better. Turnovers were the story of the game, but those can get cleaned up. The Bucks cut those down they most likely walk out with a win.

The turnovers never have been cleaned up with this core over 5-7 years, I doubt they ever will.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,195

Post#88 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:06 pm

Holding Jokic to 10/25 shooting and that Denver offense to a 115-rating bodes pretty well for a potential future Finals matchup. Bobby and Beasley clanking every open jumper (4/22 combined) was pretty much the difference in the game. Not really all that concerned with this one.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,649

Post#89 » by Profound23 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:11 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:Beasley is now 10-35 (28%) from 3 over his last 8 games.

and this is exactly what I said would happen when we signed him....it comes in waves and we just have to hope:

1.) We trade him during one of his peaks
or
2.) He peaks right around playoff time ala half of the Miami Heat bench last postseason
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,767

Post#90 » by chonestown » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:11 pm

I tend to think Doc had little to do with the rotations last night, at least in terms of minute distributions.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,219

Post#91 » by BigO » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:14 pm

The game was fun to watch and deserves some good analysis. But before I can get to that, the horrible takes in this thread about Bobby need to be addressed:

1) You Bobby haters wait till he has an inefficient night shooting and then swarm like flies on you know what. Where were you after the prior game where he scored 20 on high efficiency? RealGM posters represent the best in gross opportunism.

2) Bobby Portis is one of the most efficient scorers on the team. While his three point shooting is just under 38% (not great but certainly not bad), he is shooting almost 50% from the field overall. That means he is shooting way over 50% on twos.

3) His efficiency is why his coaches want him to post up and shoot. So those of you in this thread who claim he is inefficient, is it possible for you to reconsider your view, or is this something you were born with and can't give up?

4) Bobby averaged almost 10 rebounds a game last season. His numbers are way down because Griffin (he should be a RealGM poster) decided to play him way out on the court, away from where his strength is. You saw Doc play him down low and he got 12 rebounds. That's why he was in the game. He is an elite rebounder for his build and once again, defensive rebounding is a key part of playing defense. But many posters don't value rebounding, so they just ignore that part of his game.

Bobby Portis is a very good player. Not an all star, but certainly much more valuable than the horrible takes on this board would suggest.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,219

Post#92 » by BigO » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:23 pm

Now to the game.

Griffin was so bad that Doc and company seem like geniuses. The defensive changes were the obvious ones. Keep Bobby down low as much as possible. Keep Giannis closer to the basket when possible. Get back on defense (a work in progress).

In a close game, small things matter. The turnovers by Middleton and Lillard were killers, as was the rebounding. Without Giannis and Bobby, the Bucks don't have a lot of good rebounders (so lets trade Bobby because rebounding isn't an important part of defense).

I've also noticed that Beasley has taken poorer shots recently. He has been highly efficient, because he has taken open shots and not forced anything. Recently, that's changed. He needs to get back to what he does well, which is shoot when he is open.
ABucksFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,430

Post#93 » by ABucksFan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:28 pm

I love Giannis, but dude sets the weakest screens ive ever seen man.

I don't know if we're ever going to figure out the Giannis Dame thing, it requires Giannis to sacrifice too much and i dont know if he will ever fully buy in
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#94 » by pifhluk23 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:34 pm

I would have gone Giannis at the 5 in the last few minutes, Brook was good at forcing Joker to be a scorer all game but the last few mins it's gotta be Giannis on him. We also need someone that can guard Murray, way too easy for him to get an easy mid range when they needed a bucket.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,824

Post#95 » by SirChurros » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:38 pm

ABucksFan wrote:I love Giannis, but dude sets the weakest screens ive ever seen man.

I don't know if we're ever going to figure out the Giannis Dame thing, it requires Giannis to sacrifice too much and i dont know if he will ever fully buy in

He slips EVERYTHING. I don’t know if that’s what he was being told to do or is just an example of his poor basketball IQ, but it’s hard to watch.
tntrost
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#96 » by tntrost » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:47 pm

Glad that Doc finally put an end to Dame playing the entire 1st quarter. Said he wants Dame playing when we are in the penalty but when he is also rested going into it. Makes sense and good for him for standing up to a star player and letting him know what is best for the team.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,781

Post#97 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:52 pm

Rotations were weird.

Beasley been taking lot more on the move off balance shots recently, at the beginning of the year he was pretty much stationary in the corner and usually wide open.
FREE GIANNIS
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,617

Post#98 » by Frank Nova » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:53 pm

We have Malik Beasley guarding Jamal Murray, they have KCP guarding Dame. That’s a HUGE advantage for the other teams star guard. This has been a problem all year long.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Post#99 » by msiris » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:56 pm

BigO wrote:The game was fun to watch and deserves some good analysis. But before I can get to that, the horrible takes in this thread about Bobby need to be addressed:

1) You Bobby haters wait till he has an inefficient night shooting and then swarm like flies on you know what. Where were you after the prior game where he scored 20 on high efficiency? RealGM posters represent the best in gross opportunism.

2) Bobby Portis is one of the most efficient scorers on the team. While his three point shooting is just under 38% (not great but certainly not bad), he is shooting almost 50% from the field overall. That means he is shooting way over 50% on twos.

3) His efficiency is why his coaches want him to post up and shoot. So those of you in this thread who claim he is inefficient, is it possible for you to reconsider your view, or is this something you were born with and can't give up?

4) Bobby averaged almost 10 rebounds a game last season. His numbers are way down because Griffin (he should be a RealGM poster) decided to play him way out on the court, away from where his strength is. You saw Doc play him down low and he got 12 rebounds. That's why he was in the game. He is an elite rebounder for his build and once again, defensive rebounding is a key part of playing defense. But many posters don't value rebounding, so they just ignore that part of his game.

Bobby Portis is a very good player. Not an all star, but certainly much more valuable than the horrible takes on this board would suggest.
His home road spilts are not concerning? 53% vs 44% and 42% and 30% from 3 on the road are pretty big difference. Plus he was not very playble in the playoffs.
Ride the tank
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,195

Post#100 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:58 pm

Beasley did an admirable job guarding Murray last night. Not sure this is the game to point to about his defense.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks