ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow 

Post#841 » by The Wet Whistle » Wed May 8, 2024 5:00 pm

chonestown wrote:Just listened to the Hear District episode with Brad Jennings. I'll tell you what, you could do a whole lot worse by switching out Novak for BJ3. I think the dude is gifted on the mic.
Just listened, yeah he's good on the mic. Good episode
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,212

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow 

Post#842 » by FrieAaron » Wed May 8, 2024 5:02 pm

Almost like good fortune is almost always a large part of a championship run
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,151

Post#843 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 8, 2024 5:26 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

I could be wrong, but I thought Simmons (or was it a different talking head) basically did an exercise invalidating all the past championships, basically saying no championship is perfect. Maybe this was taken a little out of context?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,263

Post#844 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 8, 2024 5:37 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought Simmons (or was it a different talking head) basically did an exercise invalidating all the past championships, basically saying no championship is perfect. Maybe this was taken a little out of context?

Haberstroh.

2020 NBA champion will join long list of titles with asterisks
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#845 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 8, 2024 5:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought Simmons (or was it a different talking head) basically did an exercise invalidating all the past championships, basically saying no championship is perfect. Maybe this was taken a little out of context?

Haberstroh.

2020 NBA champion will join long list of titles with asterisks

1964 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*
Asterisk reason: There were only nine teams.

1963 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*

1962 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*

1961 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*
Asterisk reason: There were only eight teams.

1960 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*
Asterisk reason: There were only eight teams. But more importantly, as late as 1960, it was understood that only four Black players were allowed per NBA team, according to Warriors legend Al Attles. So, yeah, asterisk on this whole era.

1959 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*

1957 NBA champions: Boston Celtics*

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33297498/the-nba-75th-anniversary-team-ranked-where-76-basketball-legends-check-our-list
No. 6: Bill Russell
1956-69 Boston Celtics
15.1 PPG, 22.5 RPG, 4.3 APG
Russell was one of the greatest defenders -- if not the greatest -- of all time. He was one of the best rebounders in NBA history (second in total rebounds and second in career rebounding average behind only Wilt Chamberlain). He was a five-time MVP, including winning three in a row from 1960 to '62. His 11 NBA championships stand alone as the most for a player all time. In 2009, then-NBA commissioner David Stern announced the Finals MVP award would be named after Russell. -- Lopez

Contrary to the whole point of the article, but i think this gets glossed over in the Bill Russell / NBA player rankings.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1961.html
Like how incredibly pointless was a 79-game regular season when all you had to do was win 22 regular season games to make the playoffs ahead of the 21-win knicks and then 11 playoff games to become champion. Thank god ticket revenue was important back then
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,368

Post#846 » by Wooderson » Wed May 8, 2024 6:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:Doyel's always been creepy though.

Jeez, ****' yikes.

Doyel also wrote an article ripping into Brian Butch and called him a crybaby after Butch destroyed his elbow in a Badger game. Dude's always been a loser.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#847 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:43 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I think people over glorify a local broadcast job. You have to travel for 45+ road games (Preseason+Playoffs) every year, work a crap ton of friday/saturday nights, call a bunch of load management games, and probably get a talking to any time you make a valid criticism on effort or strategy. Even MJ has gotten worse as his edge as been taken off and novelty of his old-time stories has gone away.

ETA: I can't imagine the pay is that great compare to what they are used to? Any guesses? $150k? Jennings would be an interesting guy to understand his finances, but dude made $40m. Half goes to taxes/agent. So $20m, say he spent 75% of it? $5m has a safe withdrawal rate of $200k a year, which is a lot unless you are used to flying everywhere and eating out at fancy restaurants.

This is spot on imo. Whether talking about Baseball or Basketball when I see complaints about our local broadcast teams I cringe a little bit. Personally I think we have pretty good tv broadcast & radio people for the Bucks & Brewers. Even our backups are better than some teams main guys. I just don't think people necessarily realize how bad most local broadcasters are. Anyone who is any good gets scooped up for a National TV gig sooner rather than later.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,263

Post#848 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 8, 2024 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#849 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 8, 2024 9:11 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Color me old-fashioned but I liked when they have name alignment - Bucks/Does; Rockets/Comets, Kings/Queens.....I was going to list some possibilities but there are some god awful/ill-fitting NBA names......Lakers (In LA), Nets, Grizz (In Memphis), Jazz (in Utah) Knickerbockers (WTF), Heat (What is a Heat), Nets (sounds fierce), Thunder (again, not a thing).....

MCs Quick Top 5:
Trail Blazers
Pelicans (Unique, fits the city, bad ass animal not to be **** with)
Mavericks
Rockets (Fitting for the city, cool object, fast/strong)
76ers (Fitting to the city, solid color scheme based on 'Merica, can have some cool mascots)
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Post#850 » by trwi7 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:17 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Pelicans bad ass animal not to be **** with)

Are you a fish?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#851 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 8, 2024 9:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Are you a fish?

Evidence #1:
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Post#852 » by trwi7 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:44 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Are you a fish?

Evidence #1:

Your evidence of them being bad ass is walking towards ducks?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,292

Post#853 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 8, 2024 10:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

These **** have written millions of words about basketball and can tell you the starting lineup of the 1962 Celtics but can't remember twelve team mascots? FOH.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,899

Post#854 » by blazza18 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:46 pm

Man, Twitter has blown that one little clip so far out of proportion.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,009

Post#855 » by BUCKnation » Thu May 9, 2024 5:53 pm

I personally don’t see the issue. Women’s teams in europe and in college are all linked by the same mascot/club name. Obviously the teams in Connecticut, Vegas and Seattle dont have anyone to create an exact match but it shouldn’t be a new/controversial thought.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,458

Post#856 » by KidA24 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:00 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I personally don’t see the issue. Women’s teams in europe and in college are all linked by the same mascot/club name. Obviously the teams in Connecticut, Vegas and Seattle dont have anyone to create an exact match but it shouldn’t be a new/controversial thought.

Because they would never make the same complaint about a minor league baseball team.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#857 » by theFireBlanket » Thu May 9, 2024 7:52 pm

The Wet Whistle wrote:
chonestown wrote:Just listened to the Hear District episode with Brad Jennings. I'll tell you what, you could do a whole lot worse by switching out Novak for BJ3. I think the dude is gifted on the mic.
Just listened, yeah he's good on the mic. Good episode

Novak is a New Yorker from Whitefish Bay & he seems like a bigger Knick fan than Bucks fan.

Brandon is a Californian, like Marques, who legitmately reps the Bucks & appreciates what the franchise did for them.

If he wanted that gig, you bring him in immediately.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,093

Post#858 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 9, 2024 8:01 pm

Jennings didn't start coming around until the championship season, he wasn't around before that. But yeah I'd give him a shot over Novak 8 days a week. There has to be other former players who would be interested. Novak filling in for Marques makes sense since it's sporadic and he's already doing the pre/post game shows. But no one at Bally's or the Bucks can think he's any good.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,758

Post#859 » by chonestown » Thu May 9, 2024 9:28 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I think people over glorify a local broadcast job. You have to travel for 45+ road games (Preseason+Playoffs) every year, work a crap ton of friday/saturday nights, call a bunch of load management games, and probably get a talking to any time you make a valid criticism on effort or strategy. Even MJ has gotten worse as his edge as been taken off and novelty of his old-time stories has gone away.

I don't think the pay is all that great, but the exposure sure can be. There's also enough free time where one can indulge their other career pursuits.

I do wonder how much of an influence Bucks top management has on how games/team news is covered.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#860 » by theFireBlanket » Thu May 9, 2024 9:52 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Jennings didn't start coming around until the championship season, he wasn't around before that. But yeah I'd give him a shot over Novak 8 days a week. There has to be other former players who would be interested. Novak filling in for Marques makes sense since it's sporadic and he's already doing the pre/post game shows. But no one at Bally's or the Bucks can think he's any good.

Actually he tried to play for the team again before he was phased out of the league. They did trade him
Spoiler:
for Khash, *& BK was a throw in
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks