Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,176

Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:07 pm

We're about to max out the thread with more to come soon. Here are the last couple of posts.

MikeIsGood wrote:24-team "Northern" Mega-Conference. Would kind of suck to be part of the group relegated to the West coast and lose some traditional games as a result, but think it's most likely.

West
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Oregon

East
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
Notre Dame
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia

DingleJerry wrote:Yea at this point I'm kind of hoping enough west teams get added that we end up in the East with the old B1G teams, even if it means OSU every year but I agree we'll probably end up on the other side.

when it first broke and was only the two teams, obviously they'd be in our division, but I thought well it would probably hurt the LA teams recruiting to have to say all their road games are on the other side of the country and in cold weather. But with how this is looking that seems like it'll be irrelevant, so USC is likely to become a big power again with Riley.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:08 pm

There's talk that in football the B10 and SEC will form an alliance with each other and ESPN and Fox. Have a 4 or 8 team conference tournament with the winners facing each other in the title game. I
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,767

Post#3 » by chonestown » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:09 pm

We here at Chonestown HQ love to bring the greatest hits of yesteryear to the threads of today.

FIRE GARD
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#4 » by DingleJerry » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:There's talk that in football the B10 and SEC will form an alliance with each other and ESPN and Fox. Have a 4 or 8 team conference tournament with the winners facing each other in the title game. I

Yea makes sense. I've thought for years the end game for football would be to break off and do everything separate from the rest of NCAA sports. I thought they would consolidate down to four 16 team conferences. Each has a conf title game, winners to the playoffs. so essentially an 8 team playoff. I thought it would be the Big 12 poached and then a few teams left out to dry. Calling it two conferences will be weird but we'll see what happens, seems to be the same kind of idea
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#5 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:20 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:There's talk that in football the B10 and SEC will form an alliance with each other and ESPN and Fox. Have a 4 or 8 team conference tournament with the winners facing each other in the title game. I

I think I am in favor of this. It's like expanding the playoffs without expanding the playoffs, and removing any discussion around some fluff teams that, moving forward, only alumni and local fans will care about.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:29 pm

The CFP contract ends after the 2025 season, and it will be fascinating to see how drastically the landscape has changed by the time 2026 rolls around. Anyone who projects the status quo here is naive.

"I see a world where the whole thing splits in half," an industry source said. "There's 35 or 40 programs in the top echelon that are actually driving the College Football Playoff, and all the economics around the CFP. Everything else flows off of that. It's obvious why it's happening now."

Most major realignment moves can be tied directly to television money. And that means the likelihood of the two big television investors -- ESPN with the SEC and Fox with the Big Ten -- could potentially tailor a new type of postseason. There's an increased chance of those two leagues exploring a more elaborate conference postseason -- a four-team or eight-team conference playoff -- before some type of national title game between the winners. Could that squeeze the other leagues out of the playoff or demand more spots?

"I would think they'd be silly not to at least explore that," another industry source said. "If I'm the TV consultant, I'd say to them, 'You can set up your own eight-team playoff and make millions."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,013

Post#7 » by emunney » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:53 pm

So the old organizing principle for conferences was geography. The new one is TV contracts? But with subconferences organized by geography?

There has got to be a better way to do this.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 1, 2022 6:58 pm

emunney wrote:So the old organizing principle for conferences was geography. The new one is TV contracts? But with subconferences organized by geography?

I think it's the only way to do it. Money talks. There will be 2 mega conferences for football. Geographical divisions within each conference. Conference playoffs and the winners play for the championship. I like it.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#9 » by DingleJerry » Fri Jul 1, 2022 7:00 pm

emunney wrote:So the old organizing principle for conferences was geography. The new one is TV contracts? But with subconferences organized by geography?

At this point they're probably too far down the rabbit hole to come back. But yea a better way to do it would've been to separate major conference football our several years ago and created their own rules. The 4-5 classic style of conf would've still been in place with a separate governing body above them to mange them together. Who knows, maybe the SEC just had a "F No" attitude towards that due to sharing the money with everyone else and thus here we are.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#10 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 1, 2022 10:28 pm

Someone mentioned Oregon in the last thread.

I was laboring under the delusion that they were not an AAU school buy they are.

They are a pretty crummy school, comparatively at least.

They'd be a good add overall though.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#11 » by vital_signs » Sat Jul 2, 2022 3:27 pm

I miss the geography reasoning, gave you some pride for the ol' great lakes.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,079

Post#12 » by Wisky4life » Sat Jul 2, 2022 4:37 pm

Living in Portland, there has been local talk that Washington and Oregon have submitted to Join Big ten.

Not sure then if you get OR state and Wash State as well.

If we keep going that route of like 30 teams....Notre Dame, Utah, Colorado, Stanford; seems like we own the North then.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#13 » by wapith » Sat Jul 2, 2022 5:14 pm

Wisky4life wrote:Living in Portland, there has been local talk that Washington and Oregon have submitted to Join Big ten.

If we keep going that route of like 30 teams....Notre Dame, Utah, Colorado, Stanford; seems like we own the North then.

Wisky4life wrote:Living in Portland, there has been local talk that Washington and Oregon have submitted to Join Big ten.

I know nothing but feel pretty safe saying the Big Ten has no interest in OR St or WSU.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#14 » by trwi7 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 5:26 pm

Oregon State and Washington State don't really do anything for the Big Ten. They would just be the little brothers that mom is forcing the big brother to take along to their pickup game. Add Stanford and Cal, sure. Maybe Arizona, after that look at Notre Dame UNC and Georgia Tech.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,772

Post#15 » by Licensed to Il » Sat Jul 2, 2022 9:43 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Oregon State and Washington State don't really do anything for the Big Ten. They would just be the little brothers that mom is forcing the big brother to take along to their pickup game. Add Stanford and Cal, sure. Maybe Arizona, after that look at Notre Dame UNC and Georgia Tech.

Mostly agree. UNC and Georgia Tech don’t really move the needle in football, but if you are trying to build the premiere basketball conference UNC is a good get.

Utah is a sneaky good football program. Washington has potential. Id consider BYU. Cal and Stanford for sure.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jul 2, 2022 10:06 pm

P12 is acting like they'll just replace the two and move on. But I think there will be more purging
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#17 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 5, 2022 5:30 pm

Well this is not what I expected.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-in-deep-discussions-to-add-up-to-six-pac-12-teams-after-usc-ucla-defections-to-big-ten/

B12 is in "deep discussions" to add not just Arizona and Arizona State (not surprising), but also Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and Utah. As we've discussed, I thought Oregon and Washington would make a B10 play for sure. Did they strike out? Not try? Still trying?

Appears they're giving their middle finder to their State counterparts, though.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#18 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 5, 2022 7:53 pm

Another good article here:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-pac-12-big-ten-notre-dame-11657026907?st=hf6679h3z1ld2yg

Meanwhile, in Washington and Oregon there is talk of possible legislation that would require publicly funded universities in their states to compete in the same conference, moves that would bind the Huskies to Washington State and the Ducks to Oregon State, possibly complicating any realignment move.

Politics may not be the only thing hamstringing Washington and Oregon. There’s also Notre Dame, which is already located within the Big Ten’s geographic footprint. The Fighting Irish have been able to make football independence work in this TV-driven era because of their own deal with NBC that runs through 2025. The network has exclusive rights to air Notre Dame home games and the university doesn’t have to share that revenue, reportedly about $15 million a year, with anyone.

Notre Dame also receives a payout from the ACC, with which it is a full member in sports other than football. In 2019-20, the Fighting Irish received $10.8 million in disbursements from the ACC. In 2020-21, the year when Notre Dame football temporarily joined the league due to pandemic-related scheduling concerns, the university received $34.9 million, according to federal tax records.

Should money continue flowing at unprecedented rates into the Big Ten and SEC, it may no longer make financial sense for Notre Dame to go it alone. Whether that threshold has been crossed, however, remains unclear.

An option for Notre Dame is fully joining the ACC, but it’s not one that would put them on equal financial footing with the two richest leagues. That’s because the ACC, after losing charter member Maryland, prioritized stability when renegotiating its television rights in 2016 and struck a 20-year deal with ESPN.

Six years later, stability has turned into handcuffs. Wriggling out of the ACC’s broadcast deal before 2036 comes with steep financial penalties, essentially binding the 14 members together until the contract comes closer to expiration. Worse, the ACC’s payouts to members were already the second smallest among the five major conferences and stand to fall further behind when the Big Ten’s new contract, which is expected to exceed $1 billion a year, kicks in.

Well that was not smart.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,340

Post#19 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jul 5, 2022 8:10 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Another good article here:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-pac-12-big-ten-notre-dame-11657026907?st=hf6679h3z1ld2yg

Meanwhile, in Washington and Oregon there is talk of possible legislation that would require publicly funded universities in their states to compete in the same conference, moves that would bind the Huskies to Washington State and the Ducks to Oregon State, possibly complicating any realignment move.

Politics may not be the only thing hamstringing Washington and Oregon. There’s also Notre Dame, which is already located within the Big Ten’s geographic footprint. The Fighting Irish have been able to make football independence work in this TV-driven era because of their own deal with NBC that runs through 2025. The network has exclusive rights to air Notre Dame home games and the university doesn’t have to share that revenue, reportedly about $15 million a year, with anyone.

Notre Dame also receives a payout from the ACC, with which it is a full member in sports other than football. In 2019-20, the Fighting Irish received $10.8 million in disbursements from the ACC. In 2020-21, the year when Notre Dame football temporarily joined the league due to pandemic-related scheduling concerns, the university received $34.9 million, according to federal tax records.

Should money continue flowing at unprecedented rates into the Big Ten and SEC, it may no longer make financial sense for Notre Dame to go it alone. Whether that threshold has been crossed, however, remains unclear.

An option for Notre Dame is fully joining the ACC, but it’s not one that would put them on equal financial footing with the two richest leagues. That’s because the ACC, after losing charter member Maryland, prioritized stability when renegotiating its television rights in 2016 and struck a 20-year deal with ESPN.

Six years later, stability has turned into handcuffs. Wriggling out of the ACC’s broadcast deal before 2036 comes with steep financial penalties, essentially binding the 14 members together until the contract comes closer to expiration. Worse, the ACC’s payouts to members were already the second smallest among the five major conferences and stand to fall further behind when the Big Ten’s new contract, which is expected to exceed $1 billion a year, kicks in.

Well that was not smart.

I've been listening to a Miami fan bitch about the ACC over this for years. They really, really screwed the pooch.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#20 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Jul 5, 2022 10:58 pm

This is all about football isnt it? Crazy the amount of loot in college football.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks