Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,055

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION] 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:45 pm

Last thread maxed out
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,437

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION] 

Post#2 » by KidA24 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:21 pm

Putting the Sous Vide into overtime in preparation for the Weekend of Gluttony (aka, the first weekend March Madness)

Today: Two long pork shoulder cooks. Carnitas & Pulled pork. 24 hours.

I love and hate the sous vide because I don't get the smells. On a positive, I'm healthier as a result, on a negative, I'm healthier as a result.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,777

Post#3 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:36 pm

I still haven't gotten into the sous vide craze. I know many here love them, and I know it isn't a gimmick, I just haven't done it yet. maybe this year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,224

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:44 pm

Five years ago. Carnitas were good.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#5 » by jschligs » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:54 pm

Yea I've never gotten into sous vide yet either. Looks great, but I spent enough on other cooking stuff the last two years. That said, grilling season is almost upon us. I can't wait.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,292

Post#6 » by Finn » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 pm

Umm, grilling season is 12 months long.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,283

Post#7 » by humanrefutation » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:48 pm

I used my sous vide recently to make scallops. Easily the best scallops I've ever had.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#8 » by LUKE23 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:10 pm

We sous vide every steak we make and will never go back.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,339

Post#9 » by Mags FTW » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:26 pm

Sous vide chicken breast has always been the biggest improvement over traditional cooking methods imo. So much juicer. If I was one of those people that prepare a week's worth of chicken breast and vegetable lunches on Sunday nights, I couldn't imagine making them any other way.

Salmon is also great.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,224

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:28 pm

LUKE23 wrote:We sous vide every steak we make and will never go back.

This.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#11 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:41 pm

I think this is where I've gotten hung up before. I don't eat steak, which I know is the top thing people talk about with sous vide. I eat a ton of chicken, but rarely am I "just" making a chicken breast. More often making stir fries, curries, or some sort of other preparation (including grilling all summer). I think I haven't jumped on board because I figured I wouldn't use it much. But every time you guys talk about it I get tempted.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,437

Post#12 » by KidA24 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:42 am

MikeIsGood wrote:I think this is where I've gotten hung up before. I don't eat steak, which I know is the top thing people talk about with sous vide. I eat a ton of chicken, but rarely am I "just" making a chicken breast. More often making stir fries, curries, or some sort of other preparation (including grilling all summer). I think I haven't jumped on board because I figured I wouldn't use it much. But every time you guys talk about it I get tempted.

For me, it's a combo of meal prep (hooray for a vacuum sealer), the best chicken and pork I've ever cooked (huge pork loins fully cooked then sliced into steaks and seared for sammies are incredible as is a medium rare pork chop) and the convenience of being able to grill/sear something super quickly and not have to worry about doneness, which helps a lot when cooking for bunches of people.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mags FTW » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:03 am

MikeIsGood wrote:I think this is where I've gotten hung up before. I don't eat steak, which I know is the top thing people talk about with sous vide. I eat a ton of chicken, but rarely am I "just" making a chicken breast. More often making stir fries, curries, or some sort of other preparation (including grilling all summer). I think I haven't jumped on board because I figured I wouldn't use it much. But every time you guys talk about it I get tempted.

You cook the breasts in the sous vide, and then just finish them off in whatever dish you are making for 1-2 minutes.

Safe temp for chicken is traditionally 165 but you only have to get it to 140 with a sous vide because you are cooking it longer.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#14 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:08 am

Mags FTW wrote:

You cook the breasts in the sous vide, and then just finish them off in whatever dish you are making for 1-2 minutes.

Safe temp for chicken is traditionally 165 but you only have to get it to 140 with a sous vide because you are cooking it longer.

This makes sense if you're using a whole breast in something, But I don't care how juicy and perfectly cooked it is - if you cook a chicken breast (or thigh or whatever), you shouldn't then cut it up to use in another form. You lose the juice. Doesn't matter how long it sits. You should always pre-cut before cooking so you can seal in juices on individual pieces.

Or are you supposed to pre-cut, sous vide, then finish? That just hit me for the first time, and maybe that's it. But it seems like a heck of an extra step and prep to take.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mags FTW » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:17 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

This makes sense if you're using a whole breast in something, But I don't care how juicy and perfectly cooked it is - if you cook a chicken breast (or thigh or whatever), you shouldn't then cut it up to use in another form. You lose the juice. Doesn't matter how long it sits. You should always pre-cut before cooking so you can seal in juices on individual pieces.

Or are you supposed to pre-cut, sous vide, then finish? That just hit me for the first time, and maybe that's it. But it seems like a heck of an extra step and prep to take.

You could do either, and I have done both. Probably depends on if you want to season your strips/cubes before throwing them in the bag, or if you are just going to end up tossing them into a dish that will already have sauce/seasoning.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#16 » by crkone » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:39 pm

I think the Beatles are fine. :)

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
drew881
RealGM
And1: 5,005

Post#17 » by drew881 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:21 pm

Have friends who do sous vide cooking, but if I’m doing a thick steak, I’m just going to reverse sear it on my grill - slow cook for 30-40 min 225 until it is 120 degrees and then char outside until it is 135. If it is a thinner rib-eye a cast iron is perfect.

And then for things like carnitas I’ll use a dutch over and finish off in over to crisp. Not sure why carnitas would need to be sous vide cooked.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:00 pm

crkone wrote:

I think the Beatles are fine. :)

Hey Jude is the only good Beatles song and even then, all you need to do is listen to the coda.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#19 » by buckboy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:33 pm

Haha. What a horrendous opinion that is.

Hey Jude sucks.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#20 » by trwi7 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:46 pm

buckboy wrote:Haha. What a horrendous opinion that is.

Hey Jude sucks.

Legitimately the only song I can tolerate. Have no idea why.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks