OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,224

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION] 

Post#1941 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:45 pm

jschligs wrote:Anyone have a air fryer chicken wing recipe? Gonna give wings a shot tonight.

Give par-boiling them a shot. Simmer some water then drop your wings in for about ten minutes. Bring them out and dry them completely. Then bake until they're done.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#1942 » by stellation » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:48 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Just saw this posted from the bar next door.

Gonna have to try this one out tonight.

Following for updates.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1943 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:06 am

stellation wrote:Following for updates.

Delicious. Went out and found a recipe for brown butter washed bourbon and I'm gonna make some tomorrow night. Big game on Saturday night and we're gonna have brown butter bourbon old fashioneds.

Night was not without drama so I'm gonna vent. The place I went to is unlike just about every other local bar. When I get a bill for a cocktail and I see $14 I think it's insanely high, but whatever, I don't go here but once or twice a year. I add a tip and close out, and enjoy the cocktail. After a while I look closer at the bill and I see a 20% living wage fee was tacked on. I got **** pissed. I resisted saying anything to the bartender, but when someone who appeared to be a manager asked me how I liked the drink when I was at the door and leaving, I couldn't resist and I told her that I lived next door, used to come to the bar a lot, I've always been a great tipper, but I really didn't appreciate having a 20% charge added to my bill without me being told.

AITA? If you need added context, the bar owners are notorious in the town and their staffs across have all quit and have made accusations of wage theft over the years. I'm friends with maybe 20 bartenders, cooks, and servers and literally every one has quit one of their establishments in the last ten years.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,283

Post#1944 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:02 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

Delicious. Went out and found a recipe for brown butter washed bourbon and I'm gonna make some tomorrow night. Big game on Saturday night and we're gonna have brown butter bourbon old fashioneds.

Night was not without drama so I'm gonna vent. The place I went to is unlike just about every other local bar. When I get a bill for a cocktail and I see $14 I think it's insanely high, but whatever, I don't go here but once or twice a year. I add a tip and close out, and enjoy the cocktail. After a while I look closer at the bill and I see a 20% living wage fee was tacked on. I got **** pissed. I resisted saying anything to the bartender, but when someone who appeared to be a manager asked me how I liked the drink when I was at the door and leaving, I couldn't resist and I told her that I lived next door, used to come to the bar a lot, I've always been a great tipper, but I really didn't appreciate having a 20% charge added to my bill without me being told.

AITA? If you need added context, the bar owners are notorious in the town and their staffs across have all quit and have made accusations of wage theft over the years. I'm friends with maybe 20 bartenders, cooks, and servers and literally every one has quit one of their establishments in the last ten years.

I've never seen that. Is that fee going to the workers or to the owner? If it's going to the owner, then I'd rather they tack on 20% to the price of the drink so I can give informed consent to paying that, instead of listing it as a separate line item afterwards.

If it's going to the workers (and I suspect that it isn't), then I don't mind as much because a lot of people get **** on tips at the bar.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,338

Post#1945 » by Mags FTW » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:06 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

You're not the only one upset about it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g59843-d1542360-i464403968-The_Livery_Restaurant_and_Saloon-Eau_Claire_Wisconsin.html
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1946 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:08 am

humanrefutation wrote:I've never seen that. Is that fee going to the workers or to the owner? If it's going to the owner, then I'd rather they tack on 20% to the price of the drink so I can give informed consent to paying that, instead of listing it as a separate line item afterwards.

If it's going to the workers (and I suspect that it isn't), then I don't mind as much because a lot of people get **** on tips at the bar.

If the drink was just $14 I wouldn't have had any problem. I can't believe the audacity to charge an automatic fee without telling the customer.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1947 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:09 am

Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

You're not the only one upset about it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g59843-d1542360-i464403968-The_Livery_Restaurant_and_Saloon-Eau_Claire_Wisconsin.html

LOL holy ****. Covid was the exact explanation I got on the way out.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,142

Post#1948 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:57 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I've never seen that. Is that fee going to the workers or to the owner? If it's going to the owner, then I'd rather they tack on 20% to the price of the drink so I can give informed consent to paying that, instead of listing it as a separate line item afterwards.

If the drink was just $14 I wouldn't have had any problem. I can't believe the audacity to charge an automatic fee without telling the customer.

But you have to make it clear if that's the case and whether or not someone is expected to tip normally on top of that. If I see it, I'm probably either not tipping or only tipping to top off the 18%. Then I will feel awkward and guilt the rest of the night and kind of ruin the experience.

(tipping on a percentage has always been weird to me. Like if you are just tossing me 6 bud light bottles for $30, is that really a $6 activity? Whereas if I get a come complicated drink that takes 5 minutes to make that is $14, is that a $2.50 activity? )
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#1949 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:39 pm

jschligs wrote:Anyone have a air fryer chicken wing recipe? Gonna give wings a shot tonight.

Late to the party, but I was really happy with just a marinated (Sweet Baby Ray BBQ and Buffalo sauce) for a few hours, put in the air fryer and just lightly sauced once it was done.

Nothing fancy, but I'm kind of in awe of the versatility of our air fryer, even used it to make some garlic parm breadsticks from scratch this week and the kids loved them.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,338

Post#1950 » by Mags FTW » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:57 pm

Not a spicy food fan, but when we get together with friends who do like it, they just use the basic Frank's recipe.

https://www.franksredhot.com/en-us/recipes/franks-redhot-original-buffalo-chicken-wings
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,035

Post#1951 » by Ryan5UW » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:06 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

But you have to make it clear if that's the case and whether or not someone is expected to tip normally on top of that. If I see it, I'm probably either not tipping or only tipping to top off the 18%. Then I will feel awkward and guilt the rest of the night and kind of ruin the experience.

(tipping on a percentage has always been weird to me. Like if you are just tossing me 6 bud light bottles for $30, is that really a $6 activity? Whereas if I get a come complicated drink that takes 5 minutes to make that is $14, is that a $2.50 activity? )

Maybe I'm a dick for doing this, but I've started tipping for food delivery kind of the same way. I hate the whole tipping in advance thing anyway, but I guess the way I look at it is if you're driving 5 miles with 1 bag of food, why should the tip change because the bag either has a burger and fries in it or a bunch of sushi?
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1952 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I agree, totally. I'd see "living wage fee" and assume that the workers are not living off of tips but are being paid a living wage by their employer. In that scenario, no tip.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1953 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:17 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Maybe I'm a dick for doing this, but I've started tipping for food delivery kind of the same way. I hate the whole tipping in advance thing anyway, but I guess the way I look at it is if you're driving 5 miles with 1 bag of food, why should the tip change because the bag either has a burger and fries in it or a bunch of sushi?

Correct me if in wrong, but my understanding is that delivery drivers are generally not paid the same as wait staff ($2.33 an hour minimum) with the expectation that they'll get tips to make up the difference. They're usually paid a better wage and tips are just a bonus on top of that. So you don't need to pay a percentage based on the cost of your meal.

I generally tip delivery based on how large the order is an how quickly they get to me. But I rarely order delivery anyway. 99% of the time I'd rather pick up so I can control when I get my meal.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,760

Post#1954 » by DanoMac » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:25 pm

buckboy wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
buckboy wrote:We have a 3 year old lab too. She's going to be lost.

4000 good days and one very, very **** one.

Thanks for the kind words.
Every time I've cried in the last 20 years has been because a pet died. I'm sorry man.

Same. We've lost a lot of animals (my wife is a nut about animals, we've had a lot), but this one was the most special to me. He and I were the only 2 dudes in a house with 6 female humans. I know that sounds stupid, but we got each other. We always did.

But all 7 of us were there with him in our home, on his favorite bed. I can't express how great our in-home vet is. She made it so much easier for all of us. I don't know how anyone can be a vet, but she did an unbelievable job helping us through this, especially the two youngest ones who have never lived a day without their Omar (until today).

Thanks for listening guys, it really does matter.

RIP Omar.

Late to this - sorry to hear brother. Omar was a handsome boy. Hope you and the fam are doing OK.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#1955 » by buckboy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:33 pm

DanoMac wrote:
buckboy wrote:
jute2003 wrote:Every time I've cried in the last 20 years has been because a pet died. I'm sorry man.

Same. We've lost a lot of animals (my wife is a nut about animals, we've had a lot), but this one was the most special to me. He and I were the only 2 dudes in a house with 6 female humans. I know that sounds stupid, but we got each other. We always did.

But all 7 of us were there with him in our home, on his favorite bed. I can't express how great our in-home vet is. She made it so much easier for all of us. I don't know how anyone can be a vet, but she did an unbelievable job helping us through this, especially the two youngest ones who have never lived a day without their Omar (until today).

Thanks for listening guys, it really does matter.

RIP Omar.

Late to this - sorry to hear brother. Omar was a handsome boy. Hope you and the fam are doing OK.

We're good, thanks. There's a hole there that will never be filled, but that's part of the deal. We knew he was dying, so it didn't come out of the blue, but man, I can't believe how hard this hit me. I'm doing the worst of all of us, which I never would've guessed.

I'll be fine of course. Just really surprising. Good news is I'm learning some stuff about myself, in a good way. I think I kind of took him for granted a little bit, which will inform future relationships with the people in my life.

Anyway, nice to talk about it , thanks for listening all.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks