Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Re: OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos 

Post#41 » by Sauce Boss » Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I'm gonna pick up the new SF and hope I stick with it. It was my favorite and most played game for a huge stretch of my youth. I still remember playing the very original in a bowling alley in Rice Lake as a kid. But SF2 was an obsession from the arcade until SF3 showed up. Then I never really played it again. It seems like a game that's so online and PvP focussed that it isn't for me anymore.

Honestly I'm not sure that it is for me either, as I get so frustrated in PvP games (including SF5), but I actually really enjoy watching SF5 e-sports, so I kinda want to give it an honest go.

Only games that actually make me mad as i near 30 are fighting games. Actually rage inducing

FGC content creators constantly say this, but it’s a growth mindset genre. Did you lose the set but you pulled off the combo you’ve been practicing? That’s a win. Did you lose to a specific character you struggle against, but you made several good reads and it was more competitive than normal? That’s a win. If you focus less on winning and more on fun and how you’re getting better, you’ll have a good time and find enjoyment from fighters for years.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#42 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 21, 2023 1:33 am

My mind is absolutely blown at 5:57. I'm not good enough at this game.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#43 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun May 21, 2023 1:48 am

I'm already kinda tired of attaching fans to carts and rotating carts on tracks.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,192

Post#44 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 21, 2023 2:08 am

I've barely played the main story. I completed the great Fairies questline so I could upgrade my gear. Not taking fall damage from any height is a game changer. Unlocked the towers. Got two full rings of stamina and eight hearts. Have unlocked a decent amount of inventory slots but no where near enough.

Having a blast.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#45 » by ACGB » Sun May 21, 2023 2:55 am

I gave Trackmania a try with the PS5 release of the newest game and I'm pretty hooked. The combo of short tracks with time trials feels so addicting when you're trying to land the perfect run.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#46 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun May 21, 2023 4:13 pm

For those that have both a PC and a console and plan on buying Diablo IV, what platform will you buy for?
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#47 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 21, 2023 7:42 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:For those that have both a PC and a console and plan on buying Diablo IV, what platform will you buy for?

PC. ARPGs, for me, are perfect for laptop play + TV on in background. You don't need to focus on a story. Just kill stuff.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#48 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 21, 2023 7:46 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I've barely played the main story. I completed the great Fairies questline so I could upgrade my gear. Not taking fall damage from any height is a game changer. Unlocked the towers. Got two full rings of stamina and eight hearts. Have unlocked a decent amount of inventory slots but no where near enough.

Having a blast.

I like this one so much more than BOTW so far. Like I still don't get GOAT vibes for my taste, but the little changes they've made have made it so much more enjoyable for me. None of those construct thingies everywhere that shoot lasers at you from three screens away, ascend feels AMAZING, the depths + sky islands provide enough other scenery to make the mainland feel fresh. I like forging weapons, too, even if I still hate that they break.

So yeah, I'm really enjoying it too. Glad I picked it up right away.
Couch Potato
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#49 » by Couch Potato » Sun May 21, 2023 7:53 pm

I sure hope there's a Socom U.S. Navy SEALs reboot for the Playstation soon. Socom 1 was released way back in 2002. It long deserves a reboot. Best exclusive shooter for PS2 and PS3 back in the day. Remember Socom was the counter part to Halo back in the day. Then Sony let Socom die off. Yeah we did get them bitter on the official Playstation forums back in the day cause they promised one thing like 4 map packs for Socom 3. Instead I think we got 1 then delayed the rest for Socom Combined Assault. It was bad business or advertisement. Then shouldn't of told us. But now were all old and want Socom back. Bad enough the community reversed engineered the servers to play PS2 Socoms and PS3 Socoms again..... It's a treat to play Socom U.S. Navy SEALs again online.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#50 » by ACGB » Sun May 21, 2023 8:58 pm

Street Fighter 6 has fun gameplay but these are some of the worst menus I've ever seen. It took way too long to figure out that you need to select classic controls specifically for the character you're using because selecting classic at the tutorial and in the system control settings doesn't do anything.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#51 » by Sauce Boss » Mon May 22, 2023 2:33 am

ACGB wrote:Street Fighter 6 has fun gameplay but these are some of the worst menus I've ever seen. It took way too long to figure out that you need to select classic controls specifically for the character you're using because selecting classic at the tutorial and in the system control settings doesn't do anything.

Might be fixed in release, the beta build is almost seven months old (it’s the same from the closed beta in December).

I put a good amount of time in to the beta by playing sets with one of my friends. I didn’t try every character, but enjoyed my time dabbling with Juri, Ken, and Kimberly. I’m awful at combos right now, as I’m used to gatling systems in ArcSys games vs linking in SF. It’s also a six button fighter vs a four button, so I don’t have muscle memory for some things yet either. It’ll take time, practice, and a lot is losing to wrap my head around, but I’m excited.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by ReasonablySober » Mon May 22, 2023 10:26 pm

If you've been holding off on doing the item duplication trick you're a better person than I, but I've been using it and the weapon dup trick for a week and I regret nothing.

The latest version as of a few hours ago is so simple.

One nice thing I never knew before is the Switch doesn't seem to force you into updating games. When I jump back into Zelda after having it on rest it tells me there's a patch but I can just start the software without it. Thanks Nintendo!

ETA: My personal favorite spot to do this is at the Mogawak shrine in the Zora domain. Go up the nearby ladder, and jump off the above area, gliding down in the direction of the shrine. I can hit start and reset the process about seven times each run. I went from 14 Large Zonai Charges to 35 on my first try and being conservative. Took about 25 seconds.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Read on Twitter

The story is a touch more expected but with the “GoT” influence. As typical to the series, Clive is a man uncomfortable with his family, unsure how to express himself, eager to fight, but now in a drama that includes copious use of the f-word and multiple scenes that involve aggressive women mounting and/or wrapping their legs around equally tough men.

The game’s producer, Naoki Yoshida, required his core developers to watch the blu-ray set of “Game of Thrones,” according to Eurogamer. It shows.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,001

Post#54 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 23, 2023 4:52 pm

So, Final Fantasy: Edgelords? Lol, apologies to anyone who's genuinely excited for it, but that looks like an incredible amount of cringe. I really haven't touched a Final Fantasy title since 13, and if this is the direction they're going then I don't have much interest in going back.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#55 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 23, 2023 4:53 pm

BoTW update:

Yeah, it's really fun. Predictably hating the weapon durability element though. Did they at least nerf it (as in, make it less penalizing) in Tears of the Kingdom?
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#56 » by TroyD92 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:59 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:So, Final Fantasy: Edgelords? Lol, apologies to anyone who's genuinely excited for it, but that looks like an incredible amount of cringe. I really haven't touched a Final Fantasy title since 13, and if this is the direction they're going then I don't have much interest in going back.

What’s cringe about it? Yoshi P is one of the best storytellers in the industry. He single handedly saved FFXIV and turned it into the biggest money maker for Square.

The combat looks like dmc5 which is probably the most fluid combat I’ve ever played.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#57 » by MikeIsGood » Tue May 23, 2023 5:03 pm

I dunno, I think it looks pretty great. The few impression videos I watched from this gameplay session were all glowing (Gamespot, Fighting Cowboy, and Eurogamer). Final Fantasy games are almost always cringe. The hero sounds spot-on for what we should expect from a FF/RPG game. The fighting sounds great - acknowledging fully that it's not a classic turn-based RPG, which I don't think a major studio will produce outside of like Persona anytime soon. And honestly, for the story, with it being headed-up by Yoshi, I have a lot of faith.

The "sexy women" thing is not my taste at all, but what has been described thus far doesn't preclude the game or story from being good IMO. I haven't heard anyone else even mention it, aside from saying it's significantly more adult than prior entries, with most noting the swearing.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#58 » by TroyD92 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 pm

I mean lots of characters from final fantasy are considered “sexy women” Tifa, lightning, Fran, Yuna, Ashe, celes, Beatrix, etc..This isn’t some new concept
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#59 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 23, 2023 6:12 pm

I guess when I hear things like "more swearing!" and "it's for adults now" I immediately just think "Oh, so boobies and a bunch more unnecessary F-bombs thrown in". Besides, when has Final Fantasy not been for a mature audience?

Final Fantasy 7 is still widely considered the best of the franchise, and that game had plenty of brutal violence (see: Shinra Building story arc), comically gratuitous sexualization of women (looking at you Tifa), and plenty of swearing (I guess it's more PG if it's in text form). I'd rather they come up with some fresh new gameplay ideas and ditch the same boring hack and slash, DMC/MMORPG hybrid style combat they've been using for more than a decade, as opposed to whatever they're gonna do to make it more "mature".
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 23, 2023 6:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:BoTW update:

Yeah, it's really fun. Predictably hating the weapon durability element though. Did they at least nerf it (as in, make it less penalizing) in Tears of the Kingdom?

If you're having fun then by all means keep playing, but TotK is such a massive upgrade in every way I truly wouldn't waste another second playing BotW.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks