OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,261

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1501 » by ReasonablySober » Mon May 6, 2024 3:48 pm

M-C-G wrote:Fall Guy was one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a theater in years. Not a big Gosling guy but it was funny, lots of action and enough love story my wife loved it too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear, I think I'll be seeing it this week.

I don't know if Baby Goose is my favorite actor, but he's definitely had some of my favorite roles (Holland March, Jared Vennett, Ken, Willy Beachum).
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,083

Post#1502 » by Matches Malone » Mon May 6, 2024 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,399

Post#1503 » by M-C-G » Mon May 6, 2024 4:19 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Fall Guy was one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a theater in years. Not a big Gosling guy but it was funny, lots of action and enough love story my wife loved it too.

Good to hear, I think I'll be seeing it this week.

I don't know if Baby Goose is my favorite actor, but he's definitely had some of my favorite roles (Holland March, Jared Vennett, Ken, Willy Beachum).

Gosling was much funnier, in a very subtle way, than I gave him credit for. Tons of little jabs and jokes that resonated with my sense of humor.

With regard to action, part of it reminded me of seeing Maverick where you realize they are real stunts and not green screen. Didn’t realize how much I missed real stunts.

MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#1504 » by MoreTrife » Mon May 6, 2024 6:33 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

SUPER early first impression - nope. Suit looks baggy and frumpy. I don't want to see Superman pulling on his boots, weird. He looks old too, don't know how old he is.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,083

Post#1505 » by Matches Malone » Mon May 6, 2024 6:37 pm

MoreTrife wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

SUPER early first impression - nope. Suit looks baggy and frumpy. I don't want to see Superman pulling on his boots, weird. He looks old too, don't know how old he is.

I’ll need to see it in action to judge but the collar was a choice. Looks a bit too homelander-ish at first glance. I think David is around Cavill’s age when he first was cast. Maybe a smidge older.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,095

Post#1506 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 6, 2024 6:50 pm

Lol, they literally just stole the Homelander costume. Weird how he's so worshipped in the comic book/nerd community, because I think Gunn hasn't done anything great since the first Guardians movie. I have zero faith in whatever "universe" reboot both him and DC will fart out until proven otherwise.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,989

Post#1507 » by Prez » Mon May 6, 2024 6:57 pm

I thought the 2nd and 3rd GOTG movies were good and pretty good respectively, and I enjoyed his Suicide Squad movie as well (not the godawful David Ayer one). I don’t think Gunn is some genius or anything but I think he’s a pretty good comic book movie director and he respects the source material so I’m cautiously optimistic about what he can do. The suit looks weird but not gonna let a first look poster kill my hopes for it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1508 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 6, 2024 7:02 pm

I guess going from Zach Snyder to James Gunn is probably the cinema equivalent of going from Adrian Griffin to Doc Rivers. So in that sense yeah, it's an upgrade. Just not a very inspiring one.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,093

Post#1509 » by Siefer » Mon May 6, 2024 7:45 pm

I am more concerned by the giant laser eye tbh.
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,708

Post#1510 » by machu46 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:01 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Lol, they literally just stole the Homelander costume. Weird how he's so worshipped in the comic book/nerd community, because I think Gunn hasn't done anything great since the first Guardians movie. I have zero faith in whatever "universe" reboot both him and DC will fart out until proven otherwise.

The Guardians movies are weird for me. I liked them all and especially loved the first, but I can’t really tell you the plot of any of them. I think the plot of the Guardians video game was much better personally. The movies were simply a good time (the first two anyways, the 3rd just kinda cheated by playing the animal abuse card lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1511 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 7, 2024 4:06 am

machu46 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Lol, they literally just stole the Homelander costume. Weird how he's so worshipped in the comic book/nerd community, because I think Gunn hasn't done anything great since the first Guardians movie. I have zero faith in whatever "universe" reboot both him and DC will fart out until proven otherwise.

The Guardians movies are weird for me. I liked them all and especially loved the first, but I can’t really tell you the plot of any of them. I think the plot of the Guardians video game was much better personally. The movies were simply a good time (the first two anyways, the 3rd just kinda cheated by playing the animal abuse card lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd add that I barely remember the plot of The Suicide Squad or Peacemaker, but I remember having a good time. Better than I can say for most Marvel or DC movies the last few years.

Also I love a good dance number and this is fun.

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#1512 » by Mags FTW » Tue May 7, 2024 4:40 am

Superman is one of the most boring superheroes.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,962

Post#1513 » by jschligs » Wed May 8, 2024 4:36 pm

Started Dark Matter today on Apple TV. Just released and I really enjoyed the book (not the ending as much but it was still good) so hopeful for the show.

Also, watched an Episode of Zillow Gone Wild which I thought had some potential. But Jack McBrayer as the host just ruined it for me. His humor has a time and place and this show isn't it.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,556

Post#1514 » by Ill-yasova » Thu May 9, 2024 2:56 am

X-Men 97 absolutely floors me every week. Just an incredibly well written show.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1515 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 9, 2024 4:33 am

I bought Backdraft last week when it was on sale for $5 on Prime. Watched it tonight and holy crap. Legitimately one of the best home theater experiences I've had in a while. Looks and sounds absolutely incredible. Crazy for a movie that's 33 years old.

Billy Baldwin's acting was way worse than I remember, though. Yikes.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1516 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 9, 2024 5:26 pm

Truly bafflingly terrible move to keep dropping all the episodes at once.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,261

Post#1517 » by DingleJerry » Thu May 9, 2024 5:43 pm

Spoiler:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Truly bafflingly terrible move to keep dropping all the episodes at once.

Agree. Apple seems to have that model down and I think that's how most should do it. And I say that as someone who prefers binge and often waits for episodes to build up before watching.

But minor nitpick/fear based on how well that promo was done has me worried of the show jumping the shark a bit. Like it gets too nice/fancy or something like that and loses the grittiness of the first two seasons that helped make it so good. Sometimes shows get hurt by their own fame/popularity. I thought Yellowstone is an example of it. But who knows, I'm just BSing based off a 15 second clip. But it just seemed so much higher budget/prodcution than the past.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1518 » by ReasonablySober » Fri May 10, 2024 4:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Shogun season two is gonna be a thing.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#1519 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri May 10, 2024 8:21 pm

The first two episodes of Dark Matter were decent. I like Joel Edgerton most of the time so I'll probably watch all of this.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1520 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 10, 2024 8:27 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shogun season two is gonna be a thing.

Not sure how I feel about this. What more story is there to tell with these characters?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks