Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,055

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas 

Post#1921 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:22 pm

Giannis has only missed one game this year. He's playing B2B's. I wonder if his knee is truly, finally at 100%. And/or the 65 game minimum is a factor (I'm sure it is). He would have failed to qualify last year. Perhaps he will sit more the second half of the season.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#1922 » by aboveAverage » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:44 pm

Has Thybulle fixed his shooting? All I remember is that his defense was good, but he was unplayable for Philly because teams didn’t have to guard him. If that’s the case, I’d pass.
yb90
Pro Prospect
And1: 257

Post#1923 » by yb90 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:12 pm

Since in Portland Thybulle has been shooting nearly 38% from three on around just under 4 attempts a game. He is basically a better version of the best version of Pat and who Marjon will likely be with time to develop more.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,013

Post#1924 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:13 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Has Thybulle fixed his shooting? All I remember is that his defense was good, but he was unplayable for Philly because teams didn’t have to guard him. If that’s the case, I’d pass.

Between this season and last, you're looking at about a 300 attempt sample size where he's been a 36-37% distance shooter. I'd say that's ample enough to believe he's legitimately improved, but the more important number to look at? He's 45.6% on corner 3's this year. He's got modern day Bruce Bowen potential IMO.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#1925 » by raferfenix » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:28 pm

Profile on Alex Caruso from Sam Vecenie’s trade board.

He thinks it’d take a first-round pick and a prospect to get him, and lists the Bucks amongst the “Best fits”.

Horst has been plenty creative to get guys he’s targeted historically. If Caruso is his man he’s probably looking at whether Bobby could yield a first or other assets good enough to pair with MarJon (Blazers 2nd also could be in play) to make a deal happen.

Every team in the postseason race would have a use for a player like Caruso. He proved he can be an integral rotation player on a title team with the Lakers in the 2019-20 season and has only improved since then.

He is, for my money, the best defensive guard in the NBA. He flies around on that end, making wild anticipatory rotations with active hands that disrupt every exchange and bother every potential jumper. On the ball, he can handle just about anyone at the one through three positions and can even switch onto the less powerful fours.

On offense, Caruso reads plays incredibly quickly while processing the game at an elite level. He has a pristine understanding of spacing, can make touch passes in transition or in the half court and always makes the extra pass to generate a great shot. There is no selfishness to his game. While he’s typically been a reluctant shooter, he’s upped his volume from distance substantially this season while converting at a career high rate. To top it off, he’s signed to an incredible contract that pays him less than $10 million in each of the next two seasons.

If the Bulls decide to move Caruso, as they should given their need to rebuild, there would be a genuine bidding war. Every contender should bend over backward to acquire a player like him who is low-usage yet elite without the ball in his hands. And because his contract is so small, nearly every team in the league has enough matching salary to get involved.

I debated leaving Caruso off this list entirely. The Bulls have been reluctant so far to engage in Caruso trade discussions, according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania, which lines up with the impression I’ve received from sources on other teams who have tried to reach out.

But Caruso is much more valuable to a contender than he is to this Bulls team. He’s 30 years old, with a history of injuries due to how hard he plays, and the Bulls are more than 18 months away from contending. Given the price Caruso is likely to fetch due to the wide market of teams interested in acquiring him, it’s hard for me (and other executives league-wide) to fathom why the Bulls wouldn’t move him.

https://theathletic.com/5188498/2024/01/15/nba-trade-rumors-ranking-dejounte-murray/
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,013

Post#1926 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:42 pm

There's no way that Bobby + a high 2nd-round pick isn't basically a "good 1st" in value. But Caruso still isn't the guy I'd be most interested in. Thybulle's probably cheaper and more versatile as a big wing defender, and DFS gives you so much more lineup versatility when you go small.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,821

Post#1927 » by SirChurros » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:36 pm

I guess I just don’t get the Caruso love, especially with what it’s going to take to get him.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#1928 » by raferfenix » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm

Is Caruso really “the best defensive guard in the NBA” or in that conversation at a baseline?

Certainly could see that being overblown.

But if it’s not that seems to be a level up from Thybulle and DFS.

That said dealing Bobby as opposed to Pat in these kind of scenarios is a different degree of value we’d have to give up too. At least if the Connaughton we’ve seen of late is just who he is now.
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,520

Post#1929 » by Milbucks96 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:51 pm

Caruso is hurt too much for me but other than that he would be a great fit. I think I like the guys who can guard up though like a Thybulle or Finney-smith. I don’t think it’s going to be easy to get any of those guys but it’s probably not a wrong answer. One would help this team a lot.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,520

Post#1930 » by GoldenAntlers » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:22 pm

Milbucks96 wrote:Caruso is hurt too much for me but other than that he would be a great fit. I think I like the guys who can guard up though like a Thybulle or Finney-smith. I don’t think it’s going to be easy to get any of those guys but it’s probably not a wrong answer. One would help this team a lot.
I was just thinking, "Would he even be available come playoffs?"
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,988

Post#1931 » by soxperry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 pm

yb90 wrote:Since in Portland Thybulle has been shooting nearly 38% from three on around just under 4 attempts a game. He is basically a better version of the best version of Pat and who Marjon will likely be with time to develop more.

i dont think that's true. Thybulle came into the league and was instantly a plus defender, if not elite. Marjon just doesn't have the instincts and reaction time to match what Thybulle is. But Marjon can also be much more well rounded offensively. They are just not good comps for each other.
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,520

Post#1932 » by Milbucks96 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:44 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:
Milbucks96 wrote:Caruso is hurt too much for me but other than that he would be a great fit. I think I like the guys who can guard up though like a Thybulle or Finney-smith. I don’t think it’s going to be easy to get any of those guys but it’s probably not a wrong answer. One would help this team a lot.
I was just thinking, "Would he even be available come playoffs?"

I have been thinking of what to call guys who are good but can’t handle the 80+ games needed for a deep playoff run. Brogdon and DDV are two guys who I just know won’t be able to make it. Caruso and Embiid too. Otto Porter jr would be making so much money if his body let him. Robert Williams misses every other series. I think I would throw Porzingus in there too. AD is the king of this category. Injuries happen, but it’s certain guys you just know will have something going on.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,068

Post#1933 » by German Athens » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:15 pm

raferfenix wrote:Is Caruso really up “the best defensive guard in the NBA” or in that conversation at a baseline?

Yeah, I think he’s absolutely in the conversation.

I mean off the top of my head, I think you’d be talking about:

Caruso, Jrue, smart, thybulle, Suggs, Shai, Melton, white

I’m sure I’m missing some names, but Caruso definitely belongs with them. He’s not the on-ball defender of Jrue, but he’s probably more disruptive in passing lanes and helping off-ball while still being very good on-ball.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,198

Post#1934 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:03 pm

I think Caruso's price is probably pretty fair and think he's pretty underrated by some, especially when comparing him to say Thybulle. I don't think it can't really understated how having a defensive guy who is a triple threat guy offensively is kinda awesome. I think Caruso's ability to handle the ball, attack closeouts, make the right pass, etc would be pretty invaluable on our squad. I understand the value part of the equation though and definitely get the putting all your eggs in one basket type move it might be to get Caruso compared to spreading it out elsewhere.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,921

Post#1935 » by emunney » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:19 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:I think Caruso's price is probably pretty fair and think he's pretty underrated by some, especially when comparing him to say Thybulle. I don't think it can't really understated how having a defensive guy who is a triple threat guy offensively is kinda awesome. I think Caruso's ability to handle the ball, attack closeouts, make the right pass, etc would be pretty invaluable on our squad. I understand the value part of the equation though and definitely get the putting all your eggs in one basket type move it might be to get Caruso compared to spreading it out elsewhere.

I do think, though, that for us, Thybulle is probably more attainable and at least as good a fit. Having him chase over screens in drop coverage is a cheat with Brook waiting and Giannis roaming the weakside. It would make us a lot better.

Maybe we can get Jevon back, too.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,233

Post#1936 » by DingleJerry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:51 pm

emunney wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:I think Caruso's price is probably pretty fair and think he's pretty underrated by some, especially when comparing him to say Thybulle. I don't think it can't really understated how having a defensive guy who is a triple threat guy offensively is kinda awesome. I think Caruso's ability to handle the ball, attack closeouts, make the right pass, etc would be pretty invaluable on our squad. I understand the value part of the equation though and definitely get the putting all your eggs in one basket type move it might be to get Caruso compared to spreading it out elsewhere.

I do think, though, that for us, Thybulle is probably more attainable and at least as good a fit. Having him chase over screens in drop coverage is a cheat with Brook waiting and Giannis roaming the weakside. It would make us a lot better.

Maybe we can get Jevon back, too.

Thybulle also signed for two more years after this and is young. Caruso is gone and/or about to get way overpaid as he enters his 30s, while already being hurt often.

So he should cost less to acquire, signed for two more years, younger. I'd choose that route.

I don't have a big beef with Payne. But yea I'd take Jevon over him, think he was greatly underappreciated here. however Javons contract is a bit much too so.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,284

Post#1937 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:12 am

Figure out a way to turn Middleton into Smart and Thybulle. Profit
Do it for Chuck
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,780

Post#1938 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:31 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Figure out a way to turn Middleton into Smart and Thybulle. Profit

No
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#1939 » by raferfenix » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:34 am

Is Caruso extension eligible?

His age isn’t great with the injury history but he’s also squarely in his prime.

If we think Caruso is gonna be a top notch defender for the duration of this stretch we’ve set up with Dame that’d be different than if he’s more likely to be another role player who falls off at this time of their career (especially after getting paid) like Pat has.

Thybulle being younger and already on a long term deal is an interesting argument for him too — which comes aside from how his size would be better vs big wings like we’ll face with Boston, and that he’d be cheaper to acquire.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,996

Post#1940 » by Plossum » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:42 am

I’m not convinced thybulle can shoot. It’s nice he’s been making some strides but we need a guy we can rely on in a Playoff series to knock down some open corner threes. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Not against getting Thybulle but not giving up a lot for him. Certainly not Bobby or Pat.
#LockUpChuck

Return to Milwaukee Bucks