Hire Doc Rivers
76%

Total votes: 108

fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Re: Poll: Keep Griffin or Doc Rivers? 

Post#41 » by fan230 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:52 am

fan230 wrote:I think the team will keep ag and get a defensive player, then see how ag fares. If it is the same or worse, they will fire ag. The trade deadline is feb 2 I think.

So for now I would want to keep ag. See if jae improves the defense with ag in charge. Then add another defender via trade or buyout. See what the team does in feb; does it considerably improve in defense. If so, keep ag, else fire ag and get doc.

At this point it’s very difficult to separate whether our bad defense is primarily caused by ag or by the lack of replacements for Jrue Javon and Wes (Horst needs to be accountable for this huge “lack”).
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#42 » by fan230 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:56 am

One final thought for now. I hope Horst can expedite this experiment by getting 2 strong defenders as 2 way players (with the 2 vacant slots) and play them under ag to see if team defense is substantially improved or not. This experiment will separate out the impacts of players vs ag in defense!
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,996

Post#43 » by Plossum » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:39 am

Like being asked if I want to be stabbed or shot.
#LockUpChuck
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,301

Post#44 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:47 am

Doc Rivers on with Bill Simmons yesterday. The Bucks talk starts at 1:16:00 mark.

He again is very complimentary of the team and Dame in particular. He may not want the job now, but he’s definitely setting up expectations for Griff to fail on, and thus make himself someone who would “have the answers” for the Bucks owners.

Also, bonus points for team nepotism, as they toss in a line about Austin being able to help this team as a defensive guard.

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=7x9MgP9Kcm4BOX840mYHGQ
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#45 » by Ayt » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:52 am

I'd take Doc in a heartbeat over Grief.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#46 » by DutchManDanFan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:10 am

The big question is if Horst and Grief are still communicating a lot about the proces for this season (they're in this together) or if Horst is already looking at other candidates.
El Pooch Grande
Bench Warmer
And1: 848

Post#47 » by El Pooch Grande » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:15 am

Definitely give me Doc over Griffin

"We are the Champions, my friends"
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#48 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:38 am

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=7x9MgP9Kcm4BOX840mYHGQ

Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,092

Post#49 » by Siefer » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:17 pm

I think the concern about burning through coaches so quickly is a real one and I don't love Doc, but I also think we're a bit pinned due to how bad the coaching is and our relatively small window. I think if you can secure Doc (who can at least not actively sabotage the roster), you have to do it to try to salvage the season.

It's dire out there. Shelving for a second that Griff has some behavior red flags too - we're running silly **** on the court. Our team knows it, the other teams know it, and the locker room is a mess. Maybe Griff turns into a solid coach in 5 years, but we can't (and never could) wait for that.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,141

Post#50 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:23 pm

Plossum wrote:Like being asked if I want to be stabbed or shot.

I can comfortable say being stabbed. Like sure, it can be wrong sometime, but that is the safer bet.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,653

Post#51 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:28 pm

Stephen A has provided good analysis for the Bucks too, don't think I'd give him a job tho. I'd let Joe Prunty run this for the rest of the year before committing to another coach we don't want especially an obscenely priced one you have to buy out from the media, marginally better than Adrian Griffin isn't what we're aiming for and we all know if the Bucks signed Doc in the offseason this fanbase would have rioted. He didn't get it done in Philly, why would it work here? Philly taking off with Nick Nurse is a disaster all around for this franchise, Horst has really **** over the future of this team as a contender it might seriously be over.

Griffin forcing Stotts out was his insurance

salvaging this season is going to have to take a masterstroke from Horst, things are not going to figure themselves out sooner or later IMO
FREE GIANNIS
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 126

Post#52 » by j_hilge444 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Siefer wrote:I think the concern about burning through coaches so quickly is a real one and I don't love Doc, but I also think we're a bit pinned due to how bad the coaching is and our relatively small window. I think if you can secure Doc (who can at least not actively sabotage the roster), you have to do it to try to salvage the season.

It's dire out there. Shelving for a second that Griff has some behavior red flags too - we're running silly **** on the court. Our team knows it, the other teams know it, and the locker room is a mess. Maybe Griff turns into a solid coach in 5 years, but we can't (and never could) wait for that.

What are Griffin's behavior red flags?
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 126

Post#53 » by j_hilge444 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:35 pm

JayMKE wrote:Stephen A has provided good analysis for the Bucks too, don't think I'd give him a job tho. I'd let Joe Prunty run this for the rest of the year before committing to another coach we don't want especially an obscenely priced one you have to buy out from the media, marginally better than Adrian Griffin isn't what we're aiming for and we all know if the Bucks signed Doc in the offseason this fanbase would have rioted. He didn't get it done in Philly, why would it work here? Philly taking off with Nick Nurse is a disaster all around for this franchise, Horst has really **** over the future of this team as a contender it might seriously be over.

Griffin forcing Stotts out was his insurance

salvaging this season is going to have to take a masterstroke from Horst, things are not going to figure themselves out sooner or later IMO

Stott's was clearly Horst's insurance for Griffin being what he is and Griffin knew it and did what he could to force him out.
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.
ABucksFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,429

Post#54 » by ABucksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:46 pm

Taking Doc bc it has to be better than Griffin.

I think if we get embarrassed tomorrow it comes down to the Detroit games. Lose one of those and AG got to be gone.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#55 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:47 pm

j_hilge444 wrote:
What are Griffin's behavior red flags?

We aren't going to be discussing it in depth here, but you can google allegations from his ex-wife. They both have competing claims against each other from a messy divorce.

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#56 » by jschligs » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:49 pm

I’d vote Doc. I think he has better idea of how the game works and how to implement systems. And I’d be willing to take the risk on his playoff success given our roster. Also knowing that I have zero confidence in Griffin’s playoff chances.

Still think I’d rather try to poach Atkinson or he’ll, I’d take Stotts.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#57 » by sidney lanier » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:52 pm

You know, the Griffin flap reminds me of MTBE, which was a gasoline additive used until about 20 years ago and alleged to be harmful to your health by local TV news anchors who repeatedly intoned accounts of the risks with their serious faces on.

The problem was all the health risks were anecdotal and lacked empirical evidence, but the constant drumbeat of "this stuff is bad" riled up the more gullible elements of the populace and had them clamoring for a ban.

Without logic or evidence. With only the reverberation of the echo chamber.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,046

Post#58 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:59 pm

:roll:
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,609

Post#59 » by PG Graveyard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Give me Doc just for the fact I know we will get a better whistle with him. Without roster changes though I don't see a path for us to compete for the title without major luck going our way.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#60 » by HKPackFan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:08 pm

George Karl can **** off.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks