theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Re: Poll: Keep Griffin or Doc Rivers? 

Post#61 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:18 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
j_hilge444 wrote:
What are Griffin's behavior red flags?

We aren't going to be discussing it in depth here, but you can google allegations from his ex-wife. They both have competing claims against each other from a messy divorce.

Yeah, that was the moment I didn't want him coaching here.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,620

Post#62 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:29 pm

What if the Bucks fire Griffin and then the players' dads take turns coaching the team? Maybe a weekly rotation. It was fun when my dad was my coach or assistant coach in YMCA Mighty Mites basketball.

(RIP Charles Antetokounmpo)
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#63 » by MissKhriddleton » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:36 pm

What about no coach - YMCA ball? Game starts and you stand by the guy who you’re the same height as. Call out screens and yell switch on defense. Raise your hand when you’re tired to come out, guys on the bench line up to come in the game.

We’d honestly win 50 games.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#64 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:46 pm

Shocked to hear Giannis calling out the coaching. Coaches have one chance to get it right in terms of trust. Hire Doc. Hire the equipment manager. Let Dr. Margolis sit on the bench waving his right arm. It doesn't matter. Griff is toast.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 725

Post#65 » by averageposter » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:54 pm

I feel like this is the same as asking me whether I'd rather poop my pants or the bed.

I think there isn't a lot of question in my mind that Doc would be doing a better job to date. There is disorganization in the organization. It's leaked into player comments and the on the court product is just rough. It goes beyond feeling your way through 2 new starters and a new coach. This deep in the season while not a finished product it just isn't enough improvement.

That said moving to Doc who has perhaps bigger postseason warts than Bud is unappealing. I don't want to burn a season of Giannis's prime, but I also really don't want to burn the rest of them. I also have to consider that this season and inaction could be enough to force a player demand whether that's Giannis or Dame.

Gun to my Head I'd make the swap I don't think Griff has it in him to headcoach, but I'd really like to find someone else.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#66 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Never would've thought we'd see this type of poll this season. Bizarre.

Even more ironic as the Heat back up the Brinks truck for Spoelstra.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#67 » by sidney lanier » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:17 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Never would've thought we'd see this type of poll this season. Bizarre.

I know. But with Bud under contract through this year I think, I guess paying him, Griffin and somebody else for the same year might rival the haul Spo is getting on a per annum basis. Unlikely that Horst and Edens get infected by our mass hysteria, though.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 221

Post#68 » by rayallenscalves » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:22 pm

This is definitely one of the more depressing polls ever shared here. I'd rather the players just coach themselves than either of those options.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#69 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:31 pm

Edens has watched the Bucks be a great team with a definable identify over recent years. This team has no identity. I can’t imagine he allows this to go on much longer.
#FreeChuckDiesel
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#70 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:34 pm

rayallenscalves wrote:This is definitely one of the more depressing polls ever shared here. I'd rather the players just coach themselves than either of those options.

For the sheer amount of hilarity, I'd sign on for Coach Thanasis.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
sidney lanier
Head Coach

Post#71 » by sidney lanier » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:Edens has watched the Bucks be a great team with a definable identify over recent years. This team has no identity. I can’t imagine he allows this to go on much longer.

Team identity is for people who like shouting DEE-TROIT BASKETBALL or talking about Heat culture. While it's true that we don't know what this iteration of the Bucks is about yet, it's hard for me, who has been a fan since the franchise started, to point proudly at a Bucks legacy as though it were a thing. I remember Frank Brickowski. I remember Tito Horford. There is probably not much need to start a Bucks Hall of Fame anytime soon; banners are good enough, even when Brian Winters gets one.

I understand that for younger fans who might only have been following this team since they became legit perennial contenders, this is a hard concept and a hard time, and I understand the overreaction that accompanies the dismay of being a paltry 25-12 while looking like poop at times. What I don't understand is pairing this tetchiness with the universal acknowledgment that the regular season is a mere prelude to the games that matter, or the fear that this might be the last dance for 29-year-old Giannis if the pessimism about Griffin should prove to be justified when the real games begin.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,037

Post#72 » by Daver » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:47 pm

emunney wrote:If we fire 2 championship head coaches and the guy pegged as one of the league's top assistants, are other coaches going to believe the coach was the problem?

Who are the 2 chip coaches we fired
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,929

Post#73 » by emunney » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:56 pm

Daver wrote:
emunney wrote:If we fire 2 championship head coaches and the guy pegged as one of the league's top assistants, are other coaches going to believe the coach was the problem?

Who are the 2 chip coaches we fired

Would be Bud and Doc.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#74 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:58 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Never would've thought we'd see this type of poll this season. Bizarre.

Felt like conspicuous timing on Riley's part. Rubbing it in. After Griffin visibly loses the team.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#75 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:45 pm

Spoiler:
sidney lanier wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Edens has watched the Bucks be a great team with a definable identify over recent years. This team has no identity. I can’t imagine he allows this to go on much longer.

Team identity is for people who like shouting DEE-TROIT BASKETBALL or talking about Heat culture. While it's true that we don't know what this iteration of the Bucks is about yet, it's hard for me, who has been a fan since the franchise started, to point proudly at a Bucks legacy as though it were a thing. I remember Frank Brickowski. I remember Tito Horford. There is probably not much need to start a Bucks Hall of Fame anytime soon; banners are good enough, even when Brian Winters gets one.

I understand that for younger fans who might only have been following this team since they became legit perennial contenders, this is a hard concept and a hard time, and I understand the overreaction that accompanies the dismay of being a paltry 25-12 while looking like poop at times. What I don't understand is pairing this tetchiness with the universal acknowledgment that the regular season is a mere prelude to the games that matter, or the fear that this might be the last dance for 29-year-old Giannis if the pessimism about Griffin should prove to be justified when the real games begin.

Team identity is for people who like shouting DEE-TROIT BASKETBALL or talking about Heat culture.

Disagree. I'm referring to identity as something that is established by a coaching staff, declaring coherent and consistent principles from which other strategies are derived. Not sure why the comment about the legacy of the Bucks franchise is included.

While it's true that we don't know what this iteration of the Bucks is about yet...

So you're agreeing with me. As other have noted, Bud established an identity/culture from day one. Easily defined and understandable.

I understand that for younger fans who might only have been following this team since they became legit perennial contenders, this is a hard concept and a hard time

I'm assuming this wasn't directed specifically to me. I'm 34 years old and have been watching Bucks basketball since I can remember (mid 90's); I've watched a lot of bad basketball, including every game of our 15 win season. This is about being objective and honest with the product on the floor. I know you're a smart guy but for some reason you're closing your eyes and just hoping for the best.

ETA: The identity of your team should be influenced by your personnel. 5 games into the season and the players are telling Griff that Brook shouldn't be extended to the perimeter when playing defense. Like what are we doing here?
#FreeChuckDiesel
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,037

Post#76 » by mediocrityrules » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:12 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:What if the Bucks fire Griffin and then the players' dads take turns coaching the team? Maybe a weekly rotation. It was fun when my dad was my coach or assistant coach in YMCA Mighty Mites basketball.

Just throw the keys to Marques. Let him run things for the season. At least he'd have the passion. For the added bonus of keeping all of us engaged and watching, Mallory Edens to be one of the assistant coaches.
Circling calendars since 2021
sidney lanier
Head Coach

Post#77 » by sidney lanier » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:59 pm

mediocrityrules wrote:
RogerMurdock wrote:What if the Bucks fire Griffin and then the players' dads take turns coaching the team? Maybe a weekly rotation. It was fun when my dad was my coach or assistant coach in YMCA Mighty Mites basketball.

Just throw the keys to Marques. Let him run things for the season. At least he'd have the passion. For the added bonus of keeping all of us engaged and watching, Mallory Edens to be one of the assistant coaches.

Speaking of assistants, I wonder what Vin Baker has to say these days when the subject of defense comes up.
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 235

Post#78 » by nagawicka » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:54 pm

HKPackFan wrote:George Karl can **** off.

straightaway or in due course?
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 235

Post#79 » by nagawicka » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 pm

Simmons asked Doc Rivers on that pod about his son, without naming him, and Doc also with out naming Austin Rivers' name said he thought he'd work, 'but I won't say the name'
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#80 » by raferfenix » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:23 pm

Am genuinely developing my opinion on Rivers.

My baseline is lol at the Boston and Sixers stars choking.

But also…damn Doc:

Rivers' teams had blown multiple 3-2 series leads in his career, as they did, yet again, in his last series against the Celtics. In the entire history of the NBA there have been 13 blown 3-1 series leads, and Rivers was on the wrong sideline for three of them. That does not apply this year, of course, because Rivers' Sixers were up 3-2, not 3-1, but we'll get to that.

He is now 6-10 in Game 7s, which is by far the most losses for a coach in NBA history. Ten. That, clearly, is very, very bad.

His teams are now 17-33 in games in which they had a chance to clinch a playoff series, which is a brutal 34 percent win rate. It is also, again, by far the most losses for a coach in such a scenario in NBA history.

And about being up 3-2, Rivers now has four series losses when up by that count, making for seven times his teams have been up 3-2 or better and yet couldn't close the deal. It's hard to see how that could happen that many times even if you were trying to lose these things.

Teams under great pressure often take on the personality and vibe of their head coaches. And for Rivers' teams, we've seen some truly underwhelming moments in these kinds of games

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-76ers-doc-rivers-era-absolutely-needed-to-end-following-their-latest-postseason-collapse/amp/

Return to Milwaukee Bucks