Hire Doc Rivers
76%

Total votes: 108

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Re: Poll: Keep Griffin or Doc Rivers? 

Post#81 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:17 am

If nothing else this poll may go down as a classic.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#82 » by Mtsportsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:22 am

Voted for Doc, only because Grief is not good ! We wouldn't be in this position if we would have not let Giannis be the GM and not let Nurse leave town! This blunder could cost us for years , except that it probably got us the Giannis extension.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#83 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:51 am

Give Griff his come to Jesus convo with the owners. Change everything and hope it works.

If nothing else sign PJ Tucker as a player coach when he gets bought out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#84 » by ReddRum » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:56 am

Are there any legs at all to Doc to the Bucks or is this some sort of fantasy simulation?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,048

Post#85 » by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:01 am

ReddRum wrote:Are there any legs at all to Doc to the Bucks or is this some sort of fantasy simulation?

Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#86 » by pifhluk23 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:27 am

This is so sad but I'd do it in a heartbeat.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#87 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:48 am

nagawicka wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:George Karl can **** off.

straightaway or in due course?

I saw his name pop up in this thread so just had to make it clear.

I know if someone brought up Jason Kidd. Voodoo would do the same.
#FreeChuckDiesel
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 235

Post#88 » by nagawicka » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:35 am

JayMKE wrote: <snip>
. . . and we all know if the Bucks signed Doc in the offseason this fanbase would have rioted. He didn't get it done in Philly, why would it work here? Philly taking off with Nick Nurse is a disaster all around for this franchise, Horst has really **** over the future of this team as a contender it might seriously be over.

Nurse pulled out for a reason of consideration, and it wasn't because of his ego or learning he was an also-ran. Stipulating that obvsly Griff hadn't been hired so we can't dump that on him too, thx in advance.
GregAz
Ballboy
And1: 55

Post#89 » by GregAz » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:34 am

I voted keep Griffin.

Having said that, I believe Griffin deserves to be fired, and I also believe Doc would be a better coach for the Bucks this year. However, I don't believe Doc is a coach that is going to get us a championship, and that everyone would sour on him fairly quickly as well. At that point, the team looks exceptionally dysfunctional firing multiple coaches in quick succession, and would really damper the ability to pull the organization out of the dumpster fire. I doubt many if any good coaches would want to sign up for that. Doc is not the coach to save this team, so there is not a good reason to fire Griffin and bring Doc in considering the secondary consequences of turning around and getting rid of Doc after he has shown he can't get the job done either.

This is the problem with firing a coach midseason. Yes, the Cavs did it, but they had Lue on the bench waiting to take over. Prunty is not Lue, and options become extremely limited trying to find someone outside the organization mid-season. What has Doc, Stotts, or Atkinson (the names I see mentioned the most) done in the last 5 years that inspires confidence that they are the coach to bring a championship to Milwaukee?

I don't think there is anything the organization can do to pull off a championship this year outside a string of outrageous luck. With that in mind, I would want to look at what puts the team in the best position to succeed for the 24-25 season and beyond. The best way to put us in optimal position is to let the team flame out this year, fire Griffin when the season ends, and find the best available coach this offseason, who should be better than Doc Rivers.

Exception to this would be if the locker room completely fractures and the players demand a change. Outside of that, I will be hoping for improvement from the current staff, but fully expecting a disappointing season and early flame out in the playoffs.

Griffin was a bad hire, don't compound it by firing him and picking up another third tier coach. Wait until we are in position to hire one that can get us back to the championship.
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#90 » by pifhluk23 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:10 pm

GregAz wrote:I voted keep Griffin.

Having said that, I believe Griffin deserves to be fired, and I also believe Doc would be a better coach for the Bucks this year. However, I don't believe Doc is a coach that is going to get us a championship, and that everyone would sour on him fairly quickly as well. At that point, the team looks exceptionally dysfunctional firing multiple coaches in quick succession, and would really damper the ability to pull the organization out of the dumpster fire. I doubt many if any good coaches would want to sign up for that. Doc is not the coach to save this team, so there is not a good reason to fire Griffin and bring Doc in considering the secondary consequences of turning around and getting rid of Doc after he has shown he can't get the job done either.

This is the problem with firing a coach midseason. Yes, the Cavs did it, but they had Lue on the bench waiting to take over. Prunty is not Lue, and options become extremely limited trying to find someone outside the organization mid-season. What has Doc, Stotts, or Atkinson (the names I see mentioned the most) done in the last 5 years that inspires confidence that they are the coach to bring a championship to Milwaukee?

I don't think there is anything the organization can do to pull off a championship this year outside a string of outrageous luck. With that in mind, I would want to look at what puts the team in the best position to succeed for the 24-25 season and beyond. The best way to put us in optimal position is to let the team flame out this year, fire Griffin when the season ends, and find the best available coach this offseason, who should be better than Doc Rivers.

Exception to this would be if the locker room completely fractures and the players demand a change. Outside of that, I will be hoping for improvement from the current staff, but fully expecting a disappointing season and early flame out in the playoffs.

Griffin was a bad hire, don't compound it by firing him and picking up another third tier coach. Wait until we are in position to hire one that can get us back to the championship.

Disagree. Doc gives us a chance, even if that chance is the same as Buds you gotta do it because right now were sitting at 0% to win a title without extreme generational injury luck. What top tier coach is going to be available this offseason? Vogel vs Doc eh whatever at least with Doc we'd get a shot this year and there is no guarantee Vogel becomes available. Stotts, Ham, Clifford, Atkinson, whoever else, what's the difference between them and Doc?
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#91 » by buckboy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:17 pm

I'd hire my dog (the stupid one) if it meant getting rid of Griffin.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#92 » by raferfenix » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:26 pm

Who’s highest on Doc here?

What’s the most bullish take?

Seems like it starts with Ben Simmons / Embiid / Harden all being historic choke artists.

And then Saltics have so much bad karma that they’re lucky as a leprechaun to win one.

Anyone think Rivers has gotten a raw deal and is a buy low opportunity as a coach?

Former PG with Milwaukee roots and championship experience (albeit a decade plus ago) checks boxes few other options would…aside from how Doc’s teams just haven’t executed down the stretch in deciding games of deep playoff runs a crazy amount of times.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#93 » by raferfenix » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:31 pm

Devil’s advocate: Dame Time would be a godsend for Doc.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,619

Post#94 » by RogerMurdock » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Bill Belichick
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,009

Post#95 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:09 pm

raferfenix wrote:Who’s highest on Doc here?

What’s the most bullish take?

*insert Pawn Stars meme*

Best I can do is that he actually had those Sixers teams playing their best regular season basketball, which is more than Brett Brown can say. I do think there's some truth to the idea that Doc has been saddled with some of the worst playoff chokers in recent NBA history, and their playoff failings shouldn't fall squarely on him.

That's it, that's all I got. Now excuse me while I exit this thread because it's depressing as **** and I refuse to believe these are the only two options....
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,821

Post#96 » by SirChurros » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:15 pm

Doc managed to hide Redick on defense incredibly well, so there’s that.
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#97 » by gbmb34 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:56 pm

Just hire Stotts, average 130 points a game, and worry about defense in May.

At the very least it would probably make Dame more engaged.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
GregAz
Ballboy
And1: 55

Post#98 » by GregAz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:32 am

pifhluk23 wrote:
GregAz wrote:I voted keep Griffin.

Disagree. Doc gives us a chance, even if that chance is the same as Buds you gotta do it because right now were sitting at 0% to win a title without extreme generational injury luck. What top tier coach is going to be available this offseason? Vogel vs Doc eh whatever at least with Doc we'd get a shot this year and there is no guarantee Vogel becomes available. Stotts, Ham, Clifford, Atkinson, whoever else, what's the difference between them and Doc?

I think it's the whoever else that I would be interested in. Not only does Doc have a history of having underperforming in the playoffs, but he would have only half a season to prepare, and not have an opportunity to assemble a staff in the middle of the season. With either Doc or Griffin the only chance the team has is with the talent on the team overperforming on a hot streak or injury luck. I just don't see Doc giving a significant boost to title chances especially considering the factors of only having half a season with the team and not being able to assemble a staff. If we hire Doc now, I see next to no chance that we would let him go after the season. Then we would lose out on the chance to get an better coach than Doc in the offseason.

Basically, I don't see any pathway with coaching decisions this year to significantly alter title chances, so I would be looking at what is the best choice for next year, and that is not Doc Rivers for me. If you think Doc is the best coach we could get in the offseason, then sure, hire him now.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#99 » by tedbrogen » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:44 am

Krispy Kreme wrote:Doc managed to hide Redick on defense incredibly well, so there’s that.

That’s the correct take. Sixers had a top five D with JJ playing starters minutes.
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,920

Post#100 » by ILC » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:57 am

Doc is still a really good coach. He gets way too much flack for having injury riddled rosters filled with chokers (after Boston) who haven't done much without him either. With him this is an instantly different team.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus

Return to Milwaukee Bucks