ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,183
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1261 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 2, 2024 3:17 pm

A Gard nodding gif. Do we finally have Tonje?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,120

Post#1262 » by MVP2110 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:21 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:A Gard nodding gif. Do we finally have Tonje?

Sure sounds like it
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#1263 » by LUKE23 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:50 pm

What am I missing on Tonje? The guy in his 5th year at Missouri did nothing in the games he did play. Someone enlighten me.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1264 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 2, 2024 3:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:What am I missing on Tonje? The guy in his 5th year at Missouri did nothing in the games he did play. Someone enlighten me.

He was injured. Missed the majority of the year, therefore got a 6th.

Was good at Colorado State.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#1265 » by neiLz » Thu May 2, 2024 4:10 pm

College b-ball is so weird now. I thought they were cooked with losing storr and chucky, but then they sign some 5th year guys like a month after the season and they are back! never heard of any of these guys but lets go!
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1266 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 2, 2024 4:14 pm

neiLz wrote:College b-ball is so weird now. I thought they were cooked with losing storr and chucky, but then they sign some 5th year guys like a month after the season and they are back! never heard of any of these guys but lets go!

My take has morphed so much in the past 3 years.

The dawn of me watching college basketball to ~2021: Yeah, we'll never get the 5-star guys, but we will keep continuity and development to beat all of the teams that also don't but chase the star ratings.

2021-2024: With the transfer portal, we're not using it enough. Teams are fortifying their roster with mid-majors stars more than we are and nullifying our continuity advantage

This past week: Other teams are going to chase the transfer high too much now that the portal has gone bonkers. Just keeping some continuity and adding the next tier of transfers is probably good enough again.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,120

Post#1267 » by MVP2110 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:23 pm

I think Hunter, Amos, & Tonje are all solid additions. But I think collectively they are worse than the trio of Chucky, Storr, & Wahl who they are replacing. The Badgers are probably a tournament team next year but I don't see them being more than a 7 or 8 seed
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,360

Post#1268 » by jute2003 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:51 pm

MVP2110 wrote:I think Hunter, Amos, & Tonje are all solid additions. But I think collectively they are worse than the trio of Chucky, Storr, & Wahl who they are replacing. The Badgers are probably a tournament team next year but I don't see them being more than a 7 or 8 seed
It's hard to say at this point. Blackwell and Winter could come back much improved. Freitag could be a monster from the start. They could all fall on their faces.
only a fan, only an opinion
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1269 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 2, 2024 5:12 pm

jute2003 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:I think Hunter, Amos, & Tonje are all solid additions. But I think collectively they are worse than the trio of Chucky, Storr, & Wahl who they are replacing. The Badgers are probably a tournament team next year but I don't see them being more than a 7 or 8 seed
It's hard to say at this point. Blackwell and Winter could come back much improved. Freitag could be a monster from the start. They could all fall on their faces.

I agree with both here in some ways. I like the depth of shooters now, but guys like Crowl's efficiency may fall off without Storr.

But again, back to my initial point. In the first 3 years of the portal, you had most key players staying put...but Illinois, Tennessee, Alabama, Iowa State, and some others were smart and used this to fortify the hell out of their roster. Take high impact freshmen or boom/bust and tell everyone else that isn't contributing by year 2 to leave.

This year, the portal has gone insane. And the power programs + a few others that are desperate (like Louisville) have realized the power of it and are all-in.

Instead of most non-bluebloods getting somewhat better or a lot better from the portal, I think a lot of middling teams got absolutely nuked by this. The power is again consolidating to the top.

We may be back to where we started as long as this system stays in place. Let the AJ Storr-type transfers go to Kansas...unfortunately, we will probably never be them. But let the Minnesotas, Iowa States, and Nebraskas of the world chase the dream of transfers. Inevitably, a bunch of them will strike out or get their roster nuked...obviously Wisconsin has to use the portal, but having some continuity is once again good enough to stay in front of them.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,914

Post#1270 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu May 2, 2024 6:06 pm

The three new guys are really interesting. As a group, they are a lot better at shooting the three than the guys they are replacing. Hopefully they can play D.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 274

Post#1271 » by Reddeye » Fri May 3, 2024 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#1272 » by Diggr14 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:56 pm

Hard to say what these guys will bring, but Im glad we have them. Two things are for sure. Max Klesmit is going to need to be the alpha next year. Daniel Frietag and Robison are both vital to the success of the team next year. This team can't afford to be playing Gilmore/McGee too often.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks