General Manager
And1: 11,677

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1061 » by chonestown » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

good post.imo

chonestown wrote:
jute2003 wrote:Storr. :(

Live by the Storr, die by the Storr.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#1062 » by BUCKnation » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

I may have already said this recently, but unless he wasn't vibing with Gard or he can get a serious NIL bag, and it may be as simple as that, I just don't see Storr having a better role or really improving his stock elsewhere.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#1063 » by DingleJerry » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I may have already said this recently, but unless he wasn't vibing with Gard or he can get a serious NIL bag, and it may be as simple as that, I just don't see Storr having a better role or really improving his stock elsewhere.

While I wouldn't drastically disagree since he was given so much free reign here, I'd still venture players in general do view our system as a bit of a drawback compared to a more uptempo and more ball screen based O to prep for the NBA. But, he was given free reign and in theory UW should go away from so much 2 post action next year opening up the floor more for him.

Seems fairly obvious this is primarily about money along with how to get to the NBA quickest and highest (possibly now) for money. Unfortunately its the nature of the system. Good for them, but it sucks for general fan
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#1064 » by midranger » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

I can’t wait until college sports collapses under its own weight so I’m no longer tempted to care so much about them.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1065 » by Diggr14 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:18 pm

Greg Gard has left this program on the verge of shambles. We do need to see what happens in the portal, but as it stands right now we have 7 players in their final season.
1 in their Jr. Season (Hodges - likely will never amount to anything for UW)
2 in their upcoming jr. season (Blackwell/Winter)
2 incoming freshman (Robison/Frietag)
(one player committed from 2025 class).

There is talk about them adding Fiddler (1 year remaining). There are also a few former recruits that are in the portal that have 1 year of eligibility remaining. Also, looks like AJ Storr is going to Illinois.

So assuming this group doesn't finish in the top 3 of the BT nor a s16 bid. Gard is leaving the cupboard pretty bare. Given the landscape of the NIL, you never know who will stay or go and take the bag elsewhere if they blow up a little.

To keep things stable, the Badgers will need to hit on at least one of in the 2025 class (Davion Hannah, Kai Rogers, or EJ Walker) The already have Kinzinger in that class. But when you lose 7 or more final year players, you need to replace them with at least 3-5 freshman. We still have time, but we are getting out recruited by teams like Marquette and Iowa State of late regionally. Illinois / Michigan State also out recruit us in WI/MN/IL/IA but that is more expected traditionally. Iowa State out recruiting us... That should never happen.

Given the Badgers will have next to no wing/front court depth, You'd think they could sell playing time as a motivating factor to some of these top 100 guys.

The result I see likely happening is, we finish top 5 in the BT next season. We lose early again in the tournament (again, no real front court talent). Greg Gard is fired. New coach comes in. I would really like TJ Otelzberger from Iowa State. He's been killing us recruiting for a bit now. He might be willing to move come next season.

Greg Gard should have been fired last week. There was no real reason he should have been retained. He is a sub par Xs/Os coach. He is a poor motivator, sounds like he has grated at these kids for years over several classes. There is just too much conflict and too much strife to think it's the kids. To me, it's Gard. He is ill equipped to handle these guys as a head coach. He's an assistant. He should have always remained an assistant. It's time to move on. Hopefully McIntosh will make the right decision next year. Looks like he is fumbling the ball this season (probably because they owe Gard until 2028).
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#1066 » by LittleRooster » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:06 pm

Diggr14 wrote:Greg Gard has left this program on the verge of shambles. We do need to see what happens in the portal, but as it stands right now we have 7 players in their final season.
1 in their Jr. Season (Hodges - likely will never amount to anything for UW)
2 in their upcoming jr. season (Blackwell/Winter)
2 incoming freshman (Robison/Frietag)
(one player committed from 2025 class).

There is talk about them adding Fiddler (1 year remaining). There are also a few former recruits that are in the portal that have 1 year of eligibility remaining. Also, looks like AJ Storr is going to Illinois.

So assuming this group doesn't finish in the top 3 of the BT nor a s16 bid. Gard is leaving the cupboard pretty bare. Given the landscape of the NIL, you never know who will stay or go and take the bag elsewhere if they blow up a little.

To keep things stable, the Badgers will need to hit on at least one of in the 2025 class (Davion Hannah, Kai Rogers, or EJ Walker) The already have Kinzinger in that class. But when you lose 7 or more final year players, you need to replace them with at least 3-5 freshman. We still have time, but we are getting out recruited by teams like Marquette and Iowa State of late regionally. Illinois / Michigan State also out recruit us in WI/MN/IL/IA but that is more expected traditionally. Iowa State out recruiting us... That should never happen.

Given the Badgers will have next to no wing/front court depth, You'd think they could sell playing time as a motivating factor to some of these top 100 guys.

The result I see likely happening is, we finish top 5 in the BT next season. We lose early again in the tournament (again, no real front court talent). Greg Gard is fired. New coach comes in. I would really like TJ Otelzberger from Iowa State. He's been killing us recruiting for a bit now. He might be willing to move come next season.

Greg Gard should have been fired last week. There was no real reason he should have been retained. He is a sub par Xs/Os coach. He is a poor motivator, sounds like he has grated at these kids for years over several classes. There is just too much conflict and too much strife to think it's the kids. To me, it's Gard. He is ill equipped to handle these guys as a head coach. He's an assistant. He should have always remained an assistant. It's time to move on. Hopefully McIntosh will make the right decision next year. Looks like he is fumbling the ball this season (probably because they owe Gard until 2028).

The offseason just started lol. And do incoming classes even matter anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#1067 » by Mags FTW » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:22 pm

midranger wrote:I can’t wait until college sports collapses under its own weight so I’m no longer tempted to care so much about them.

I'm already there.

I'm all for the kids getting paid, but make them sign something. If you "commit", you are signing a scholarship that comes with a signing bonus. You are on the scholarship for 4 years or until you graduate, whichever comes first. If the school doesn't want him anymore or there is an injury, tough, you made a commitment. If the kid wants to leave, they can go pro. No going to another school, you made a commitment. Only way out of the scholly is if there is a mutual agreement.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#1068 » by BUCKnation » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:53 pm

Yeah, its wild how they went from all restrictions to basically no rules
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1069 » by Diggr14 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:12 am

LittleRooster wrote:The offseason just started lol. And do incoming classes even matter anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, incoming classes are the backbone of your program. I think a program like Wisconsin needs to have at minimum 2 per class (probably 2-3)

NIL rules will eventually change again, this is not going to self-sustain the way it is. Something will happen, ie: unionization where the college offers a contract to a player with a salary cap. They need to go back to the, you sit a year if you transfer (for any reason outside of a grad transfer). Colleges need to pay these kids commensurate to fair value at the time of their contract.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#1070 » by buckboy » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:25 pm

midranger wrote:I can’t wait until college sports collapses under its own weight so I’m no longer tempted to care so much about them.

Same. It's coming soon.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#1071 » by buckboy » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:27 pm

Shambles. Lol.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1072 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:37 pm

My brain is telling me to hate all of the player movement - because even those who were pushing for players to get paid and have a little more freedom agree it's crazy. And it sucks for the coaches trying to develop, etc.

In the end...is it going to kill the sport? People are still tuning into the tournament. Most of the major brands are still alive in both sports. There's tons of offseason intrigue now, etc.

Obviously they will still push toward a solution where they can get some rules in place and/or unionize/form a league (completely different than what we grew up with)...but the current state...is it actually as bad as it is made to be?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#1073 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:42 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:My brain is telling me to hate all of the player movement - because even those who were pushing for players to get paid and have a little more freedom agree it's crazy. And it sucks for the coaches trying to develop, etc.

In the end...is it going to kill the sport? People are still tuning into the tournament. Most of the major brands are still alive in both sports. There's tons of offseason intrigue now, etc.

Obviously they will still push toward a solution where they can get some rules in place and/or unionize/form a league (completely different than what we grew up with)...but the current state...is it actually as bad as it is made to be?

IMO yes, it’s that bad. Every elite 8 team had multiple transfers in their rotation. The Cinderella story is gone now as the best players from mid-majors and low end power 5 teams jump ship when they can. I also think for most schools that have a rising star it just sucks knowing they’re going to dip.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1074 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:44 pm

jschligs wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:My brain is telling me to hate all of the player movement - because even those who were pushing for players to get paid and have a little more freedom agree it's crazy. And it sucks for the coaches trying to develop, etc.

IMO yes, it’s that bad. Every elite 8 team had multiple transfers in their rotation. The Cinderella story is gone now as the best players from mid-majors and low end power 5 teams jump ship when they can. I also think for most schools that have a rising star it just sucks knowing they’re going to dip.

I agree that that element kind of sucks that water down some of the weaker teams (but still plenty of upsets).

But you're still watching the tournament. It's capitalism and we wanted the players to get paid. It's also capitalism and people are all still watching college sports in record droves, meaning they are alive and well...even if 90% of the population that tunes in at tournament time who couldn't name a player on these teams anyways goes, "oh my gosh, these guys transferred from Loyola and didn't play all 4 years at NC State!?!?"
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#1075 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:45 pm

buckboy wrote:Shambles. Lol.

That's actually the word my sister used, too, so now I'm trying to figure out if she's been posting here for 16 years without my knowledge of it.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#1076 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:48 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
jschligs wrote:

I agree that that element kind of sucks that water down some of the weaker teams (but still plenty of upsets).

But you're still watching the tournament. It's capitalism and we wanted the players to get paid. It's also capitalism and people are all still watching college sports in record droves, meaning they are alive and well...even if 90% of the population that tunes in at tournament time who couldn't name a player on these teams anyways goes, "oh my gosh, these guys transferred from Loyola and didn't play all 4 years at NC State!?!?"

Yea, I get your point. I think everyone will still watch it (myself included), it just kinda stinks for the more hardcore fans. The mainstream guys will never care.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,076

Post#1077 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:53 pm

I haven't watched non-Badgers college basketball in a few years. Not even the tournament. I used to. Definitely used to have a good grip on the guys likely to be drafted by this time of year. I'm not sure what it is. Could be the Bucks being great and never having good draft picks has had an impact.

I would say player movement has hurt my interest, but I've never been more into college football. It's probably my favorite sport.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,509

Post#1078 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:55 pm

I watch zero regular season college hoops other than UW and Marquette. I do watch a ton of the tournament though.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#1079 » by midranger » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:16 pm

Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1080 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:17 pm

midranger wrote:Image

Maybe this is all a part of the joke, but you know that hiring his brother was from a parody/shytposting account, right?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks