ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 370

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#21 » by Mtsportsfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:32 pm

Nice tough physical win ! A lot of banging going on! Northwestern is a well coached team and will d you up!
They need to change the student section or do something , maybe instead on the end put on the side court and closer ! Bot sure it would matter too much, our students have no clue what's going on in a game , they are just there for the stupid vulgar chants! It's to bad , the Kohl center used to be loud. Now its a morgue !
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#22 » by bhchrist » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:30 pm

midranger wrote:Crowl can randomly throw in some of the absolute worst games a senior starter could give you.

Crowl has played injured (knee/leg) the last two games. He didn't have much lift before and has had even less now. Not sure how a 6/8/3/1 game with 2 TO in game 5 of conference is on the pantheon of absolute worst games a senior starter could give you.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,743

Post#23 » by chonestown » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:46 pm

It's winter break dudes.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#24 » by DingleJerry » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:57 pm

chonestown wrote:It's winter break dudes.

In the biggest snowstorm we've seen in quite some time. Don't get me wrong, the KC atmosphere has gone way down but today isn't the day to judge it. Winter break, 11 am game in a snowstorm so its empty.

The TN and Marq games this year were the best home environments I've seen there since covid, signs of progress this year. I'd assume helped by a better team playing with a bit more tempo/entertainment other than 50-45 games with double post staring every time
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#25 » by Diggr14 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:07 am

Higher Admission standards, coddled as teens... variety of other things. So-So at best student section. Back in the day, it was just a different breed of individual as a collective.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#26 » by DingleJerry » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:17 am

Diggr14 wrote:Higher Admission standards, coddled as teens... variety of other things. So-So at best student section. Back in the day, it was just a different breed of individual as a collective.

Think the biggest thing is there is just so many more entertainment options now. Not only right now for current students to do instead, but as they grew up they got into other things and weren't limited to whatever was on TV, which was sports. There just seems to be less interest.

That said, the bigger problem at UW basketball games is the non-students. Majority of folks lower level on the sides are old af.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#27 » by bhchrist » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:21 am

Diggr14 wrote:Higher Admission standards, coddled as teens... variety of other things. So-So at best student section. Back in the day, it was just a different breed of individual as a collective.

I was there, back in the day. Field House, Yoder, Finley giving hope. It was loud, Male Cheerleaders were handwalking end to end and female Cheerleaders had six packs. Any tourney, NIT, let alone NCAA was great. I was front row then, and I am front row now (well, technically, third row). I will take today over that any day. Never thought of selling my ticket when I was an undergrad/grad. That said, not sure I wouldn't if I could pay for all my tickets by selling a few games, knowing I could watch it in 4K in comfort. UW has had one of the best home courts based on record, so not sure what the complaint is from those watching on TV other than "I and those like me could have made the difference," which is the same as saying "I should not have washed my underwear."

So much more to this discussion that "move the students closer/endline."

Not a comment at you, Digg, more of a general commentary on the topic.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,743

Post#28 » by chonestown » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:15 am

DingleJerry wrote:

Think the biggest thing is there is just so many more entertainment options now. Not only right now for current students to do instead, but as they grew up they got into other things and weren't limited to whatever was on TV, which was sports. There just seems to be less interest.

That said, the bigger problem at UW basketball games is the non-students. Majority of folks lower level on the sides are old af.

Badger Collective been stingy extending offers to elite student superfans is what it comes down too. You want fans, you have to pay for fans. Economic reality weather you like it or not.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,861

Post#29 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:52 pm

This you?
Read on Twitter
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,430

Post#30 » by KidA24 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:30 pm

I may come off as a curmudgeon, but the fact that they no longer engage the crowd & student section during warmups and instead just pump in music is detrimental to crowd engagement early in the game.

Potato quality videos incoming.

Old way:

New Way:

Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#31 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:01 pm

Maybe a curmudgeon, but I guess I am too because you're absolutely correct. I absolutely hate this. Same goes for football, too, though to a lesser extent because they do still give the band and fans SOME interactivity (at least after the first game this year when everyone yelled at them for turning Camp Randall into a **** nightclub).
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,045

Post#32 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:36 pm

Badgers at #11. Marquette drops to 15
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#33 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:00 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Badgers at #11. Marquette drops to 15

And up to 8 in the Coaches poll, hopping 7 spots ( :o ).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,196

Post#34 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:34 pm

#2 seed in Lunardi's latest Bracketology.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,001

Post#35 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:37 pm

Absolutely wild they're already ahead of Marquette lol. You love to see it.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#36 » by jschligs » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:49 pm

Been talking **** to my MU buddies all week, I called it. I think I heard Butch say that KenPom only has us losing 1 more game this year (Purdue on the road), obviously that won't happen, but this team is really strong with the computers and it shows on the court.

You know what else has been massive? Chuck stopped shooting step back threes at a clip like he was last year. He's playing way smarter.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,351

Post#37 » by jute2003 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:51 pm

jschligs wrote:Been talking **** to my MU buddies all week, I called it. I think I heard Butch say that KenPom only has us losing 1 more game this year (Purdue on the road), obviously that won't happen, but this team is really strong with the computers and it shows on the court.

You know what else has been massive? Chuck stopped shooting step back threes at a clip like he was last year. He's playing way smarter.
I think a lot of those were out of necessity as he was being asked to carry more of the offensive load than he should.
only a fan, only an opinion
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#38 » by jschligs » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:51 pm

jute2003 wrote:
jschligs wrote:Been talking **** to my MU buddies all week, I called it. I think I heard Butch say that KenPom only has us losing 1 more game this year (Purdue on the road), obviously that won't happen, but this team is really strong with the computers and it shows on the court.

I think a lot of those were out of necessity as he was being asked to carry more of the offensive load than he should.

Agreed to an extent. But yes, he has had his load lightened massively with Storr, Klesmit and others.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#39 » by neiLz » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:53 pm

Team is fun to watch. More athletic, better finishers (outside wahl, LOL), better shooting. Team doesn't just run the shot clock out and take desperation step backs.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#40 » by Diggr14 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:02 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:

This you?
Read on Twitter

Maybe?

All kidding aside, the general student and the makeup of character of teens has changed (yes, the entertainment options are more plentiful, and kids aren't as jacked for sports as they used to be - that's all rolled up into it.) Better or worse, I dont know. Not making that judgement. For sporting events, crowds get softer. Every college arena kind of goes how the student section goes. It drives the energy, always has. The crusty old AF people are there in every arena (they drive the financials).
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks