ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,174
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#41 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:18 pm

jschligs wrote:Been talking **** to my MU buddies all week, I called it. I think I heard Butch say that KenPom only has us losing 1 more game this year (Purdue on the road), obviously that won't happen, but this team is really strong with the computers and it shows on the court.

You know what else has been massive? Chuck stopped shooting step back threes at a clip like he was last year. He's playing way smarter.

Just being the *well actually* nerd showing up to this thread, as a few weeks ago Evan Flood put in an article that KenPom said they'd go 17-3 in the B10 when they were sitting at 2-0.

There is a difference between favored in and actual projected record.

They're favored in all but 1 game the rest of the way. Kenny himself still assumes some losses in there since you (probably) won't win every game you're favored in given they aren't massive spreads each time. He's got them actually only going 10-5 the rest of the way.

Regardless - what a team and fun expectations to have again.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,045

Post#42 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:40 pm

I watch very little college basketball outside of WI and Marquette (and of course the tourney) but is it Duke that gives all of the prime seats on one side to students? I love that. I get that donors pony up but it's really cool to see mid court fans really into it. Maybe it's another school(s) that does it. Even for the high school tournament Badger donors get first crack at all the good seats. Students are on the ends and parents/other fans get the leftovers.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#43 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I watch very little college basketball outside of WI and Marquette (and of course the tourney) but is it Duke that gives all of the prime seats on one side to students? I love that. I get that donors pony up but it's really cool to see mid court fans really into it. Maybe it's another school(s) that does it. Even for the high school tournament Badger donors get first crack at all the good seats. Students are on the ends and parents/other fans get the leftovers.

Yes Duke does that and so do a bunch of others now. I think MSU in the last 6ish years did something like that too to put students on the TV side.

Sure it seems good for people watching on TV. But it has to be a pain for those there as if the students stand it makes everyone stand behind. And in UWs current iteration of student fans, they don't really deserve it. I guess if given the best seats in the house $15 maybe they'll actually show up consistently but who knows. At this point, other than the big games the students struggle to fill past the bottom level. 15-20 years ago when the team was early into being good, every games was filled through the 3rd level other than finals/break. This is also probably a factor in the pregame thing being changed, you usually have half as many students there than in the past for average games.

There is also a big issue specifically with UW to make this happen. When the KC was built the donors who ponied up for those great seats with donations to get the KC built were given lifetime rights to the seats and to the best of my knowledge do not have to do the huge yearly donation. Thus, no one is ever giving up those seats and it would be a really difficult process for the school to go back on that deal. And also why our "its all old people" there comment holds more weight than at most schools. They are also allowed to pass them on when they die or whenever they want.

ETA: I haven't looked into it in a few years, but the way its been for as long as I remember is its almost impossible to get lower level season tickets. I think you had to donate over 10K every year because so few seats ever come available due to these people having a now sweetheart deal they'll never give up. To be fair, they probably earned it with what was a big donation in 1998 or whatever, but they're basically 'grandfathered' in now. Which I guess is a good choice of words for the situation.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#44 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:09 am

Abysmal start
#FreeChuckDiesel
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#45 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:22 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:Abysmal start

Yup. Seems like we always struggle vs PSU the last handful of years as they've gotten better, but the I saw somehow we've won like 15/16 vs them or something. Was surprised by that
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#46 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:27 am

We have to start getting some of these calls, we’re getting mugged.
#FreeChuckDiesel
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#47 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:42 am

Oh also, PSU is doing the students on the sidecourt on TV thing. Still pretty quiet.

With how this has looked the last few mins (about 3 mins left in 1h right now) I'm fairly confident they get through this ok. But we'll see
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#48 » by neiLz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:43 am

Wahl is as bad as Bobby with the ball handling
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#49 » by neiLz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:48 am

Wahl throwing this game.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,194

Post#50 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:37 am

What are they reviewing??
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#51 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:37 am

Why are they stopping the game?
#FreeChuckDiesel
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#52 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:39 am

That Baldwin is a terrible shooter, without his luck streak they'd probably be comfortable right now. With how they've been so calm all year I think they'll pull it out but man they just are struggling to get stops in spite of not playing blatantly terrible D.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:48 am

bull call.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#54 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:50 am

Ah, the Marcus Smart play
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:54 am

Feels like they haven't gotten a stop in an hour.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#56 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:00 am

Chucky at 36 mins with 0 points
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#57 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:05 am

Defense and turnovers lost the game tonight. We shot around 47/40/90 and outrebounded them by 10; unfortunately, they shot 52/40/74 and only turned it over 5 times. They came up with 8 steals. They were hot, we couldn't stop them, and the didn't make many mistakes.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#58 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:05 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:Chucky at 36 mins with 0 points

I think this is by design. He was hated last year having to be basically the alpha option, not the best finisher. Now he distributes and picks his spots. Has been extremely efficient but obviously will have some of these games.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#59 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:07 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Defense and turnovers lost the game tonight. We shot around 47/40/90 and outrebounded them by 10; unfortunately, they shot 52/40/74 and only turned it over 5 times. They came up with 8 steals. They were hot, we couldn't stop them, and the didn't make many mistakes.

The defense will be their undoing in the end this year. They made some stupid early turnovers, but Penn State will do the same thing to some other good teams…but it’s likely their guards won’t hit every goddamn shot they take like tonight. Sucks…was expecting one of these at some point but after a few more gimmes, the schedule gets tough from here.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#60 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:08 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Defense and turnovers lost the game tonight. We shot around 47/40/90 and outrebounded them by 10; unfortunately, they shot 52/40/74 and only turned it over 5 times. They came up with 8 steals. They were hot, we couldn't stop them, and the didn't make many mistakes.

Yup just not their night. Wahl was awful. Ref breaks probably fell against them more than for, which happens on the road. Crap shooter got lucky and made 4 2H 3s. few too many TOs and bad D night. Chucky really struggled vs the ball pressure all night and played through it rather than flop it like the PSU guy did to get Klesmit out of the game

Return to Milwaukee Bucks