And1: 6,272

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#941 » by LUKE23 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am

Let’s see, Badgers last three years:

Lose to 11 seed with absolutely embarrassing offensive performance

Miss Tourney

Lose to 12 seed with absolutely embarrassing offensive performance

Last sweet 16 appearance - 2017

You are risking very very little by moving on from Gard. Period.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,690

Post#942 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:07 am

LUKE23 wrote:Let’s see, Badgers last three years:

Lose to 11 seed with absolutely embarrassing offensive performance

Miss Tourney

Lose to 12 seed with absolutely embarrassing offensive performance

Last sweet 16 appearance - 2017

You are risking very very little by moving on from Gard. Period.

The Iowa State loss was basically a home game too. That game was at the Fiserv. Im still mad I went and watched that in person. Who doesn’t love a notorious Wisconsin 5 minute scoring drought?
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,350

Post#943 » by jute2003 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:01 pm

That was a rough one. I know it was wahls last game but goddamn was he bad. He obviously wasn't healthy and was hurting the team. He hasnt looked right in years. Crowl being a 7 foot patsy doesn't help things. No explosion or power. Just tall and scared to shoot

Blackwell is still dinged up and has looked uncomfortable for weeks and storr isn't anywhere near good enough to chuck like he does. With Blackwell lame and Essegian MIA, they couldn't really park his ass on the bench where it belonged though.

JMU came out crazy physical. Badgers weren't prepared and handled it about as poorly as possible. JMU is gonna run into a more athletic team and refs with quicker whistles as soon as Duke. They might lose by 30.
only a fan, only an opinion
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#944 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:16 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Here is what I will say. I wouldn't fire Greg Gard but I also wouldn't be super upset if they decided to go that route. I think Gard is a good coach but I don't think he's a great coach. I was upset with firing Budenholzer, this isn't that imo

I've been firmly pro Gard and this is the first time I would understand if they wanted to move on. When the team comes out looking completely unprepared for the opponent they're facing some of that has to fall on the coach. It's becoming a frustrating pattern of poor tournament play. I'm not sure how you value that compared to body of work over an entire season when evaluating a coach to be honest.

Having said all that, the vultures sure come out of hiding quickly and eagerly after having to stay silent during the Big Ten tournament.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#945 » by MissKhriddleton » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:48 pm

A lot of it is on the players not being that good. Wahl seemed to regress. Chucky is great on defense but his offensive game is inconsistent. Crowl is soft as hell, doesn’t look for his shot, doesn’t block shots. Storr can’t play within the offense and doesn’t really have a feel for how to shoot the ball and just heaves it at the rim. Klesmit is great but should be like your 3rd or 4th option not 1st.

Gilmore lol? McGee and Blackwell are not guys that should be relied on for anything.

ETA: Forgot Winter. The floor spacing big that never shoots.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#946 » by LUKE23 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:11 pm

The players not being good is also on Gard.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#947 » by MissKhriddleton » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:18 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The players not being good is also on Gard.

Absolutely.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,103

Post#948 » by MVP2110 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The players not being good is also on Gard.

Development is definitely Gard's biggest weakness imo. I think he brings in pretty good players as evidenced by the freshman and transfers who have come in and made an immediate impact, but I don't think you can point to any player other than maybe Johnny Davis as a big developmental win for Gard, alot of his players seem to stagnate
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,601

Post#949 » by tski1972 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:29 pm

I guess if you’re okay going 22-12 every year and never winning in the tournament Greg Gard is your guy.

I’m ready for someone new.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#950 » by LittleRooster » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:02 pm

https://theathletic.com/2798730/2021/09/01/meet-ben-mccollum-the-division-ii-coach-winning-titles-and-turning-heads-across-college-basketball/?source=user_shared_article Meet Ben McCollum, the Division II coach winning titles and turning heads across college basketball

Bring him in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,274

Post#951 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:25 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
Having said all that, the vultures sure come out of hiding quickly and eagerly after having to stay silent during the Big Ten tournament.

Most of you know where I stand on Gard. Was no point in me polluting the dialogue all the time. But yes, once I saw the James Madison draw, I said "L".

There is just nothing special here with Gard. Could we go backwards with a new coach. It is possible. But I'll take my chances.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,767

Post#952 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:25 pm

LittleRooster wrote:https://theathletic.com/2798730/2021/09/01/meet-ben-mccollum-the-division-ii-coach-winning-titles-and-turning-heads-across-college-basketball/?source=user_shared_article Meet Ben McCollum, the Division II coach winning titles and turning heads across college basketball

Bring him in

He's awesome, but I thought he was already earmarked for a job in Missouri?

Missing out on Watertown's Nate Oates a few years ago was a tragic mistake.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,767

Post#953 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:31 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:A lot of it is on the players not being that good. Wahl seemed to regress. Chucky is great on defense but his offensive game is inconsistent. Crowl is soft as hell, doesn’t look for his shot, doesn’t block shots. Storr can’t play within the offense and doesn’t really have a feel for how to shoot the ball and just heaves it at the rim. Klesmit is great but should be like your 3rd or 4th option not 1st.

Gilmore lol? McGee and Blackwell are not guys that should be relied on for anything.

ETA: Forgot Winter. The floor spacing big that never shoots.

The lack of player development is startling. All they do is system development.

The state has producing pro's yearly, but those players have no interest in letting Gard and staff ending their careers.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,750

Post#954 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:32 pm

Yeah I'm ready. It's been many years since I said that, and I've kind of been in a place of general indifference (and maybe still am), but I think it's time. Post-season results matter and they have been...not great. Or good. But most of all, as Kerb has talked most about, I just don't have confidence he/his system can figure out the new landscape of college basketball.

I don't think this is my knee-jerk reaction. I purposefully slept on it :D
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,031

Post#955 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:36 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:https://theathletic.com/2798730/2021/09/01/meet-ben-mccollum-the-division-ii-coach-winning-titles-and-turning-heads-across-college-basketball/?source=user_shared_article Meet Ben McCollum, the Division II coach winning titles and turning heads across college basketball

Bring him in

He's awesome, but I thought he was already earmarked for a job in Missouri?

Missing out on Watertown's Nate Oates a few years ago was a tragic mistake.

Supposedly he's a top target of Missouri State. They fired their coach last week.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,991

Post#956 » by BUCKnation » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:39 pm

I think gard bought himself another year but the concerns of players not developing, pretty awful instate recruitment and a bad tournament record are all real.

Team looked completely unprepared for this, like no scouting at all, which is a new one.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,174
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#957 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:42 pm

I told myself I wouldn't log on here or most other social medias because it's always a toxic cesspool after a long, somewhat fun basketball season ends in one night. But here I am.

I think Gard is generally a great tactician but the game ended here: JMU was allowed to come out playing extremely aggressively and got up 7-2. Fine. Instead of just calming the guys down, the "send a message" benchings happened and McGee, Gilmore, and Winter were in the game shortly thereafter. The knockout punch was dealt at 15-4.

They slightly outplayed JMU in the final 30 minutes. The other problem that I've been on Gard about and am fine moving on, and ironically Storr, one of the guys to fix it was probably reason #1 they lost...but they couldn't just overpower a team like JMU who would stop any rally by getting to the basket on Crowl/Wahl and getting to the line because we don't have elite athletes. Also, Wahl and co. not being able to dunk the basketball regularly leaves them susceptible for shooting 1/20 on layups. Though the major turning point was Klesmit getting hacked on a layup and the 3 coming down the other way.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,174
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#958 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:45 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I think gard bought himself another year but the concerns of players not developing, pretty awful instate recruitment and a bad tournament record are all real.

Team looked completely unprepared for this, like no scouting at all, which is a new one.

I promise you they scouted the other team really hard. He said in his post-game presser they were warned that JMU comes out aggressive as hell - and they simply just **** down their leg knowing that.

There are 2 options with Gard, because this team is at least pretty good?

1. He has inferior talent and is a solid coach.

2. He has middling talent but develops/coaches well in most of the games to get them here - but the talent can't get them over the hump.

Since the game is way, way, way more about acquiring talent than it was 15-20 years ago with the portal and rules even further leaning to the offense - get me somebody that can recruit and cobble together such teams if we're gonna move on.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,947

Post#959 » by jschligs » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:46 pm

I’ve been someone that gave Gard the benefit of the doubt but yea, it’s time. I’ll take chances on someone else.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#960 » by ReginaldDwight » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:52 pm

jschligs wrote:I’ve been someone that gave Gard the benefit of the doubt but yea, it’s time. I’ll take chances on someone else.

Not much of a chance Gard misses on all the top local talent and doesn’t win in March. I said they looked like an early out months ago this team is just not that good. Guards are just dookie. Hepburn and storr weren’t good. BMC would be the hire but could hr recruit high D1? TjO probably wouldn’t leave Iowa state. The market for coaches is just not great right now but I’d imagine the new AD will move in now. Gonna be much harder next season and need someone willing to bring in better players but also coach them up.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks