ImageImage

PG: Bucks Win 15th Straight over Kings

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,010

Re: PG: Bucks Win 15th Straight over Kings 

Post#141 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:16 pm

Yesterday was an all-timer Wisconsin sports day and I have no problem compartmentalizing that happiness. Mind-numbingly idiotic end-of-game management is not an "imaginary issue" though.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,821

Post#142 » by SirChurros » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:18 pm

I don’t want to kick the guy when he’s down but PG Graveyard absolutely trashing Dame for like the last two pages of the game thread and then Dame hitting that shot was amazing.

Kudos to him owning it at least.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#143 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:30 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yesterday was an all-timer Wisconsin sports day and I have no problem compartmentalizing that happiness. Mind-numbingly idiotic end-of-game management is not an "imaginary issue" though.

20-20 hindsight certainly isn't. One of my pet peeves in business is the Monday morning quarterbacking that occurs when a 60-40 decision is made and the "I told you sos" pipe up from the sidelines when it comes up 40.

Take, for example, the decision to foul when up three in an end-game situation. Many times here we have been lectured that of course that's the right move because it prevents the possibility of the tying basket. Would you call that a 90-10 call? 50-50? 60-40? My point is the less likely thing might happen, and calling the decision idiotic because that's the way the dice land is itself well, I won't call it idiotic, but let's call it a bad misunderstanding of probabilistic decision-making.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,010

Post#144 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:41 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Yesterday was an all-timer Wisconsin sports day and I have no problem compartmentalizing that happiness. Mind-numbingly idiotic end-of-game management is not an "imaginary issue" though.

20-20 hindsight certainly isn't. One of my pet peeves in business is the Monday morning quarterbacking that occurs when a 60-40 decision...

Sid, just no. Intentionally fouling up 3 with 11 seconds left on the game clock is not a 60-40 decision. Letting Giannis decide regulation on back-to-back possessions sending him to the line when he's a notoriously shaky FT shooter is not a decision that only looks bad in hindsight. This was Jason-Kidd-Math level brainfarts. These were objectively dumb coaching decisions that led to predictable consequences that everyone could see in real time. Will Griff learn from this? I mean, hopefully he does. Thankfully it didn't bite us this time, cuz Dame things. Be happy for that, absolutely.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,746

Post#145 » by msiris » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:46 pm

Fouling up three with 10 seconds would only be supprted by .01 of people who have ever coached a basketball game. That .01 coaches the Milwaukkee Bucks.
Ride the tank
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,142

Post#146 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:47 pm

sidney lanier wrote:

20-20 hindsight certainly isn't. One of my pet peeves in business is the Monday morning quarterbacking that occurs when a 60-40 decision is made and the "I told you sos" pipe up from the sidelines when it comes up 40.

Take, for example, the decision to foul when up three in an end-game situation. Many times here we have been lectured that of course that's the right move because it prevents the possibility of the tying basket. Would you call that a 90-10 call? 50-50? 60-40? My point is the less likely thing might happen, and calling the decision idiotic because that's the way the dice land is itself well, I won't call it idiotic, but let's call it a bad misunderstanding of probabilistic decision-making.

MJ on the call, me and other posters pointed out it was dumb doing it so early. Hell, the one by beas with 17 seconds left was bad. Compound it with no TOs and us already shown we can seem to get Dame the ball is exactly why it was dumb.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,746

Post#147 » by msiris » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:53 pm

Krispy Kreme wrote:I don’t want to kick the guy when he’s down but PG Graveyard absolutely trashing Dame for like the last two pages of the game thread and then Dame hitting that shot was amazing.

Kudos to him owning it at least.
Great shot yes indeed. Have to admit that Dames shot slection can be crappy at times. The 3 that he took on the previous possession was so bad.
Ride the tank
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#148 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Did anyone in the postgame presser ask why Giannis is the outlet in these situations??? If you want to talk about probabilistic decision making - there's a 21% chance Giannis makes 4 FT's in a row. 21%.
PhoenixMilwauke
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#149 » by PhoenixMilwauke » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:55 pm

sidney lanier wrote:

The foul when up by 3 only comes into play when there are 7 seconds are less usually.
You can hear Marques allude to it as it was happening as well.

That was very poorly done. Griffin is popular with the players but the X's and O's, I'm not convinced about.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#150 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:57 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:

20-20 hindsight certainly isn't. One of my pet peeves in business is the Monday morning quarterbacking that occurs when a 60-40 decision...

Sid, just no. Intentionally fouling up 3 with 11 seconds left on the game clock is not a 60-40 decision. Letting Giannis decide regulation on back-to-back possessions sending him to the line when he's a notoriously shaky FT shooter is not a decision that only looks bad in hindsight. This was Jason-Kidd-Math level brainfarts. These were objectively dumb coaching decisions that led to predictable consequences that everyone could see in real time. Will Griff learn from this? I mean, hopefully he does. Thankfully it didn't bite us this time, cuz Dame things. Be happy for that, absolutely.

100% fine with fouling when they did IF it's combined with a plan to get the ball to your best FT shooter. There was ZERO organization to inbound to Dame. I also didn't think Dame worked very hard to get it, although he was obviously gassed. If that's not bad enough, Griff doubles down during the postgame justifying sending Giannis to the line. There's a reason he's always open in these situations, Griff..... :banghead:

Narrator: "He's not learning."
sidney lanier
Head Coach

Post#151 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:58 pm

msiris wrote:Fouling up three with 10 seconds would only be supprted by .01 of people who have ever coached a basketball game. That .01 coaches the Milwaukkee Bucks.

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,142

Post#152 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:01 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
msiris wrote:Fouling up three with 10 seconds would only be supprted by .01 of people who have ever coached a basketball game. That .01 coaches the Milwaukkee Bucks.

Would like to see the parameters of that. Like I get the math when its less than 10 seconds. But giving them a chance to run full length with plenty of time to go full-length is dumb...as we saw on both ends.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach

Post#153 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:02 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote: If that's not bad enough, Griff doubles down during the postgame justifying sending Giannis to the line.

There's no **** way. I need the quote.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man

Post#154 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:02 pm

sidney lanier wrote:

Is there a graph for when the coach leaves a slow 7 footer on the floor to defend the 3?
sidney lanier
Head Coach

Post#155 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:05 pm

PhoenixMilwauke wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:

The foul when up by 3 only comes into play when there are 7 seconds are less usually.
You can hear Marques allude to it as it was happening as well.

That was very poorly done. Griffin is popular with the players but the X's and O's, I'm not convinced about.

This guy uses 11 seconds or less, not 7. That seems reasonable to me.

https://www.82games.com/lawhorn.htm#:~:text=The%20basic%20conclusion%20we%20come,waning%20seconds%20of%20the%20game.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man

Post#156 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:07 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote: If that's not bad enough, Griff doubles down during the postgame justifying sending Giannis to the line.

And ye shall receive. 3:55.

sidney lanier
Head Coach

Post#157 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:12 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:

Is there a graph for when the coach leaves a slow 7 footer on the floor to defend the 3?

Sorry, you don't get to draw pictures on the data. It doesn't care how much you hate the coach.

What's interesting to me here as I witness the Grief-stricken distort the facts and the data is the reverse halo or horn effect. The certainty that Griffin is an incompetent bumbler means everything he does becomes incompetent bumbling to them. The corollary, eagerly embraced here by some who should know better, is that he could not possibly have contributed to anything good that happens. This results in the amusing "players save coach" scenario. Hey John Wooden -- where would you have been without Alcindor or Walton?

MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach

Post#158 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:16 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:

WTF. He admitted Giannis is the 2nd option after Dame. Shaq also has championship level DNA but you wouldn't make him the outlet when you're getting intentionally fouled. ****, this is so far beyond repair.
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,789

Post#159 » by Wonka » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:29 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:There's no **** way. I need the quote.

WTF. He admitted Giannis is the 2nd option after Dame. Shaq also has championship level DNA but you wouldn't make him the outlet when you're getting intentionally fouled. ****, this is so far beyond repair.

You can’t fix stoopid.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,092

Post#160 » by Siefer » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:43 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
randy84 wrote:Giannis needs to understand who should have the ball in their hands at the end of the game. Grief needs to stop listening to Giannis.

The entire overtime Gianni was setting screens and passing to wide open shooters. I don't think he was asking Griffin "Yo, coach, I got this" with the FTs.

Yep, I'm increasingly worried that on top of the awful game plans, he's actively seeking Giannis's approval, Blatt style.

Giannis needs to be inbounding on those late plays. He's actively great at it, and it keeps him off the line. I think Griff wants him on the floor because that's "his superstar."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks