ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,759

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#21 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:21 pm

I had no idea how much I needed Art But Sports in my life.
Read on Twitter
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,351

Post#22 » by jute2003 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm so sick of the Kelce brothers.
Meh. They're easy enough to ignore. Still see that idiot Stephen A pop up more
only a fan, only an opinion
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,199

Post#23 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:28 am

Taylor Swift is incredible. Deep Fakes have been around for years. But some stuff of hers was apparently floating around online Thursday night, and it's already gotten a response from the White House and SAG-AFTRA. That woman is gonna rule the world some day.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#24 » by Jez2983 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:28 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Taylor Swift is incredible. Deep Fakes have been around for years. But some stuff of hers was apparently floating around online Thursday night, and it's already gotten a response from the White House and SAG-AFTRA. That woman is gonna rule the world some day.

I'm glad I'm nobody. That deep fake stuff is pretty horrifying.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#25 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:31 am

The last time one of the Big Three wasn't in the AO Men's final, GW was starting his second term and the iPhone didn't exist.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,048

Post#26 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:39 am

MikeIsGood wrote:The last time one of the Big Three wasn't in the AO Men's final, GW was starting his second term and the iPhone didn't exist.

That's pretty crazy
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,199

Post#27 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:58 am

Read on Twitter

Best use of Youtube ever. Click the first episode in the playlist and go. Just non-stop gut busting laughter.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#28 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:26 pm

Stoked for Sinner, watching the match now. Lost 3 sets total this tourney and took out 1, 3, 5, and 15. Impressive.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:03 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Stoked for Sinner, watching the match now. Lost 3 sets total this tourney and took out 1, 3, 5, and 15. Impressive.

I was planning to watch and then accidentally saw the results. :-?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#30 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Stoked for Sinner, watching the match now. Lost 3 sets total this tourney and took out 1, 3, 5, and 15. Impressive.

Ack, hopefully not from me.

ESPN's real good at showing a replay of matches and then showing the result on the bottom line while watching.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:33 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Ack, hopefully not from me.

ESPN's real good at showing a replay of matches and then showing the result on the bottom line while watching.

I saw the results on Twitter. I should have known better. Great match though.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#32 » by buckboy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:38 pm

jschligs wrote:Anyone been to a good all inclusive lately? My wife and I have our 5 year wedding anniversary this fall and want to do one. We did Sandals Barbados for our honeymoon and it was awesome. But pretty expensive. I've been to about a dozen around Mexico/Domincan/Jamaica but wouldn't want to go back to one that isn't adults only. Anyone have recommendations?

Dreams Cabo is awesome. I've been to several Dreams properties but that's the best one. Plus Cabo is incredible. No ocean swimming though in case that's your thing.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#33 » by TroyD92 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:17 am

Made a decision to focus on my student loan debt this year. Going to attack it pretty heavily. Think I can have it mostly wiped out by July or August
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#34 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 pm

You guys have any job interview tips that work well for you? Have one coming up for a job I really want and am feeling the pressure.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,743

Post#35 » by chonestown » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:37 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:You guys have any job interview tips that work well for you? Have one coming up for a job I really want and am feeling the pressure.

Not stress on it. Interviews are confirming decisions made prior to face-to-face meetings. If you're already scheduled for an interview, it's a good sign. They may have already decided on you!

As for the do nots, do not assume familiarity with the Mitch Hedberg ouevre. When asked where I saw myself in 5 years, I replied "Celebrating the 5-year anniversary of this conversation." I didn't get hired, but that's on them.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,430

Post#36 » by KidA24 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:44 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:You guys have any job interview tips that work well for you? Have one coming up for a job I really want and am feeling the pressure.

Have 2-3 questions you want to ask them about the job. Make them personal.

Instead of "What does a typical day in this role look like?"

Ask, "What would a typical day for me look like in this role?"

Read up on the company and be prepared to ask the dumbest question of all "Why do you want to work for 'Our Company?'"

End the interview by asking if they have any additional questions for you,
What should I ask you that I haven't?, Is there anything else I can provide that would be helpful?, etc

A decent summary:

https://hbr.org/2022/05/38-smart-questions-to-ask-in-a-job-interview

What field are you interviewing in? I'm in IT and could help a bit more there if that's your jam.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#37 » by jschligs » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:55 pm

I am pretty good at interviews. Part of my trick is to just understand the role and how it relates to what I've done. I write up 2-3 examples for each responsibility they have written that my experience plays into. The more you know the easier it will be to just drum up from memory without thinking.

And I'm huge on questions. Trying to show I want to know the inner workings and how I can come in and help. I get nervous until I'm in it, then it fades away and it historically has worked out really well for me.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,138

Post#38 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:56 pm

jschligs wrote:Anyone been to a good all inclusive lately? My wife and I have our 5 year wedding anniversary this fall and want to do one. We did Sandals Barbados for our honeymoon and it was awesome. But pretty expensive. I've been to about a dozen around Mexico/Domincan/Jamaica but wouldn't want to go back to one that isn't adults only. Anyone have recommendations?

buckboy wrote:Dreams Cabo is awesome. I've been to several Dreams properties but that's the best one. Plus Cabo is incredible. No ocean swimming though in case that's your thing.

Due to kids, been doing Hyatt Zivas which are pretty nice. I assume the adult only ones ("Hyatt Zilara") are better. All of Zilara, Dreams, and Secrets are owned by Hyatt now. Impressions by Secrets are supposedly really, really nice and good value on points. Chase points transfer 1 to 1 to Hyatt and pretty easy to get Chase points through sign-up bonuses.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#39 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:32 pm

Would probably help if you say what kind of job it is. Is in something where you be hired for a couple years, something where you are in that role for life, or a role where you will have for 2 years before advancing in the company. Interviewers care about different things based on that.

Tips from my last few candidates I interviewed:

-Show interest in the company - Like I can't believe the candidates that clearly didn't look at our website before the interview. When I applied, I listened to the company's earnings calls, investor meetings, looked at the annual report, read articles, etc. Granted I'm in finance, but I assume the same could be said about any job. Being a teacher - Understanding the school district, initiatives at the school, size of the school, etc. Show you are already part of them and speak their language

-Don't bring up life-balance in main interviews - You are selling yourself, have them sell their company after an offer. I get it and don't discount people who bring it up, but my boss definitely does.......and this is from a company with a great work/life balance. You tend to come across unmotivated to some people if you start off asking about work/life as your first questions. Obviously you can get a sense by asking about culture or what a typical work-day looks like for someone in your role.

-Look up interviewee - Everyone loves feeling important. In a non-creepy way, i think its cool when someone says they saw my linked in as part of research for the role. Make a connection of "Oh I saw you went to X, I went to X" Don't overplay it, but show you care about the role and the people.

-Ask questions about what they expect - Like others have said, have 4-5 solid questions on how you could help them, not how they can fit your ideal job

-Appear professional - Surprised by people we interviewed remotely that don't get a good space/set-up for an interview - Phone dying, background has clothes hanging on the door, etc. Just simple things like testing out the sound and video, taking the time to either have a clean space behind you or take the time to put up a filter. Whether in person or remote, you want to be early, appear prepared, clean/calm, not frazzled.

chonestown wrote:Not stress on it. Interviews are confirming decisions made prior to face-to-face meetings. If you're already scheduled for an interview, it's a good sign. They may have already decided on you!

As for the do nots, do not assume familiarity with the Mitch Hedberg ouevre. When asked where I saw myself in 5 years, I replied "Celebrating the 5-year anniversary of this conversation." I didn't get hired, but that's on them.imo

Really depends. We are hiring remote and have limited knowledge on people we are hiring. It's hard to get a good feel for a candidate until they go through multiple interviews. We have been struggling to get the right person and have turned down multiple candidates just because they weren't the right fit...without having a backup candidate/ Also, the market is turning a bit where there are more applications so employers are being pickier. (I recognize part of the above is a failure for our TA to properly screen prior to interviews.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#40 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:40 pm

KidA24 wrote:Read up on the company and be prepared to ask the dumbest question of all "Why do you want to work for 'Our Company?'"

Lol, see above.... IDK that's one of my go-to questions as a transition. I think it depends a little bit on the role and the company. I'm an auditor hiring someone to work mostly remote and to audit different parts of the company. I really don't want a candidate that just applied for a remote audit job and doesn't have the initiative to understand the company they may work for. But I guess some of that is our job is to understand what our company does vs just performing tasks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks