OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,863

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#41 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:49 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
KidA24 wrote:Read up on the company and be prepared to ask the dumbest question of all "Why do you want to work for 'Our Company?'"

Lol, see above.... IDK that's one of my go-to questions as a transition. I think it depends a little bit on the role and the company. I'm an auditor hiring someone to work mostly remote and to audit different parts of the company. I really don't want a candidate that just applied for a remote audit job and doesn't have the initiative to understand the company they may work for. But I guess some of that is our job is to understand what our company does vs just performing tasks.

That question is a great way for a manager to separate the wheat from the chaff. I asked this question to an interviewee with a pretty solid resume and their response was "I guess 'cuz...I need a job."
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#42 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:12 pm

Good tips so far, thanks.

It’s a virtual panel interview. Learning Development/Instructional Design/HR adjacent type role with a very large company.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#43 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:35 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Good tips so far, thanks.

It’s a virtual panel interview. Learning Development/Instructional Design/HR adjacent type role with a very large company.

We just hired a new HR director and I was in a convo with our CEO and CFO and they were really impressed how much this person studied our company. Take some time to look at the website - don't just do it 15 minutes before the interview. Memorizing their mission/values, etc. and incorporating some of that into your answers might be a good idea.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#44 » by jschligs » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:52 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:You guys have any job interview tips that work well for you? Have one coming up for a job I really want and am feeling the pressure.

Would probably help if you say what kind of job it is. Is in something where you be hired for a couple years, something where you are in that role for life, or a role where you will have for 2 years before advancing in the company. Interviewers care about different things based on that.

Tips from my last few candidates I interviewed:

-Show interest in the company - Like I can't believe the candidates that clearly didn't look at our website before the interview. When I applied, I listened to the company's earnings calls, investor meetings, looked at the annual report, read articles, etc. Granted I'm in finance, but I assume the same could be said about any job. Being a teacher - Understanding the school district, initiatives at the school, size of the school, etc. Show you are already part of them and speak their language

-Don't bring up life-balance in main interviews - You are selling yourself, have them sell their company after an offer. I get it and don't discount people who bring it up, but my boss definitely does.......and this is from a company with a great work/life balance. You tend to come across unmotivated to some people if you start off asking about work/life as your first questions. Obviously you can get a sense by asking about culture or what a typical work-day looks like for someone in your role.

-Look up interviewee - Everyone loves feeling important. In a non-creepy way, i think its cool when someone says they saw my linked in as part of research for the role. Make a connection of "Oh I saw you went to X, I went to X" Don't overplay it, but show you care about the role and the people.

-Ask questions about what they expect - Like others have said, have 4-5 solid questions on how you could help them, not how they can fit your ideal job

-Appear professional - Surprised by people we interviewed remotely that don't get a good space/set-up for an interview - Phone dying, background has clothes hanging on the door, etc. Just simple things like testing out the sound and video, taking the time to either have a clean space behind you or take the time to put up a filter. Whether in person or remote, you want to be early, appear prepared, clean/calm, not frazzled.

chonestown wrote:Not stress on it. Interviews are confirming decisions made prior to face-to-face meetings. If you're already scheduled for an interview, it's a good sign. They may have already decided on you!

As for the do nots, do not assume familiarity with the Mitch Hedberg ouevre. When asked where I saw myself in 5 years, I replied "Celebrating the 5-year anniversary of this conversation." I didn't get hired, but that's on them.imo

Really depends. We are hiring remote and have limited knowledge on people we are hiring. It's hard to get a good feel for a candidate until they go through multiple interviews. We have been struggling to get the right person and have turned down multiple candidates just because they weren't the right fit...without having a backup candidate/ Also, the market is turning a bit where there are more applications so employers are being pickier. (I recognize part of the above is a failure for our TA to properly screen prior to interviews.

With all of this, it's crazy to me how few people really do the pre-work before an interview. As you said you should research the comapny, the role, the department, the interviewees, and absolutely everything you can before heading it. You never know when you might be able to slip something in. I have interviewed over 100 people and the ones that stand out have always done their homework, and it generally shows when we've hired them.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,045

Post#45 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:56 pm

Absolutely do your homework. Everything matters. Even if you aren't hired for this position there may be another open position you didn't know about that you can slide into if you do well in the interview. That happened not too long ago, my team interviewed someone who was really good but there was another person who was even better and got the gig. But we told another hiring manager about this guy and he ended up getting hired by that team.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#46 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:16 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
KidA24 wrote:Read up on the company and be prepared to ask the dumbest question of all "Why do you want to work for 'Our Company?'"

Lol, see above.... IDK that's one of my go-to questions as a transition. I think it depends a little bit on the role and the company. I'm an auditor hiring someone to work mostly remote and to audit different parts of the company. I really don't want a candidate that just applied for a remote audit job and doesn't have the initiative to understand the company they may work for. But I guess some of that is our job is to understand what our company does vs just performing tasks.

That question is a great way for a manager to separate the wheat from the chaff. I asked this question to an interviewee with a pretty solid resume and their response was "I guess 'cuz...I need a job."

I definitely have an answer prepared for that question (and others) that I think is really good to the point where I’d be disappointed if they didn’t ask it.

A problem I’ve run into in the past, is that I’ll have a plan for when to talk about certain situations, accomplishments, key items that I think set me apart - not a script - just a general when they ask about this then I can talk about that sort of thing. But sometimes I’ve found myself at the end of an interview without having had the chance to talk about specific things because the questions never came up.

So I wonder is it better to just unload everything when they ask me to tell them a little bit about myself? Or at the end of the interview should I say something like hey I’d like to bring up XXX as we didn’t get a chance to talk about it? What’s the best way to navigate this?
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#47 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:34 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Lol, see above.... IDK that's one of my go-to questions as a transition. I think it depends a little bit on the role and the company. I'm an auditor hiring someone to work mostly remote and to audit different parts of the company. I really don't want a candidate that just applied for a remote audit job and doesn't have the initiative to understand the company they may work for. But I guess some of that is our job is to understand what our company does vs just performing tasks.

I definitely have an answer prepared for that question (and others) that I think is really good to the point where I’d be disappointed if they didn’t ask it.

A problem I’ve run into in the past, is that I’ll have a plan for when to talk about certain situations, accomplishments, key items that I think set me apart - not a script - just a general when they ask about this then I can talk about that sort of thing. But sometimes I’ve found myself at the end of an interview without having had the chance to talk about specific things because the questions never came up.

So I wonder is it better to just unload everything when they ask me to tell them a little bit about myself? Or at the end of the interview should I say something like hey I’d like to bring up XXX as we didn’t get a chance to talk about it? What’s the best way to navigate this?

Yep. If they don't ask it, tell it. Any good interviewer will give you space to ask questions back and/or wrap-up; if you have something good prepared and you feel it can differentiate you, make sure to chip it in.

For shorter-form, like why you're interested in X company, you could just make it part of your closing remark.

'I want to thank you all for the opportunity to interview with you today. I'm really excited about [company] because [reason], and [something you heard from them] only reinforced that feeling.' etc.

For longer-form, I'd suggest planning out questions you could tie-back to them, so that when they open up the floor to you, you can both promote yourself and also spin it to the panel.

'A situation I've encountered in the past is [situation], and I like to handle this by [your differentiator]. How do you envision this role operating in these situations?'

That one is a bit more vague, as there's a pretty large gamut of things you could be wanting to speak to in setting yourself apart. But hopefully you get the picture.

EDIT: And - good luck! Good omens that you're giving this much though to preparation. I really feel that most don't, so you're already giving yourself a leg-up.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,430

Post#48 » by KidA24 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:55 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:

The question is a great way for a manager to demonstrate they think they are a gatekeeper and taskmaster for a job instead of someone who is good at managing people and understanding what success would look like for a given role.

I mean, it's barely different than someone asking, "Tell me why I'm awesome."

When people hit their 100th or 1000th application for a job, the last thing they are caring about is the company. They want the role, the day to day and their ability to grow and succeed.

It doesn't matter if it's SC Johnson, Johnson Controls or Johnsonville Brats.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#49 » by vital_signs » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:59 pm

KidA24 wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:You guys have any job interview tips that work well for you? Have one coming up for a job I really want and am feeling the pressure.

Read up on the company and be prepared to ask the dumbest question of all "Why do you want to work for 'Our Company?'"

I just applied to a job that provides the software that the car dealership I got my car from last year uses so I actually have an answer if they call me (they wont).

Every other interview I'm lying between my teeth and essentially saying I just need to put bread on the table.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,138

Post#50 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:17 pm

KidA24 wrote:The question is a great way for a manager to demonstrate they think they are a gatekeeper and taskmaster for a job instead of someone who is good at managing people and understanding what success would look like for a given role.

When people hit their 100th or 1000th application for a job, the last thing they are caring about is the company. They want the role, the day to day and their ability to grow and succeed.

Well one is trying to understand the person's motivation for a certain job (They think it is a good skill fit, they want to be with the company long-term, they like the industry, etc) and the other one is not. You are definitely reading the question wrong if you think its about caring about the company. It is showing you understand the company and/or role and why you would fit in. I dont give a crap whether or not you care about the company. The company is a soulless entity. But corporate cultures are a real thing and my company is looking for a very different candidate with very different motivations than say a Big 4 accounting firm.

When I was asked that question, I talked about how the company was continuously growing and the diversity of its different plants. I like to think it showed I would be a good fit in the role that required a non-standard work week with many stakeholders/locations.

Like I get it if you are applying for a standard service role where you will be just doing you skill set (whether it is a computer engineer or a machine operator or bookkeeper) and the company doesn't actually matters. There are however lots of roles that appear similar but differ based on the company.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,280

Post#51 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 pm

I just had an interview yesterday for a position that I'm not certain I'd take even if it was offered. But I applied just because I was curious about the job and it would be good interview practice. It is a lot easier to interview in that situation - no pressure if you don't get it.

That's a tip in its own right - apply for other jobs, people. Even just to practice your interview skills and get a market analysis of salary possibilities.

But to this question, as someone who has been on the other side of the interview dozens of times in my career, I'll always say the same things:

1. Don't assume that they've spent more than a couple minutes reading your resume and cover letter.

2. Read up on the place you're applying to work for. Check their website to learn more about the things they do and what you'd be expected to handle. Understand the job description, and be prepared to talk about how your skills would be a good fit.

3. Try to cite concrete examples wherever possible. If they're asking you about a particular skill or job duty, highlight specific past experiences that prepare you well to handle that responsibility. That will also help tie in your resume and cover letter which, again, the interview panel probably only glanced at.

4. Don't bullsh**. If you don't know something, admit it. The truth about most gigs is that you won't really know what the job is like until you're in it. It's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that, but then discuss how your skills prepare you for the position, how you'll seek guidance from your supervisors and colleagues, and how you're a fast learner. An employer wants to know that you're not going to screw things up because you're afraid to admit what you don't know - that you're willing to ask questions and learn and grow.

Good luck!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#52 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:35 pm

KidA24 wrote:The question is a great way for a manager to demonstrate they think they are a gatekeeper and taskmaster for a job instead of someone who is good at managing people and understanding what success would look like for a given role.

Well one is trying to understand the person's motivation for a certain job (They think it is a good skill fit, they want to be with the company long-term, they like the industry, etc) and the other one is not. You are definitely reading the question wrong if you think its about caring about the company. It is showing you understand the company and/or role and why you would fit in. I dont give a crap whether or not you care about the company. The company is a soulless entity. But corporate cultures are a real thing and my company is looking for a very different candidate with very different motivations than say a Big 4 accounting firm.

When I was asked that question, I talked about how the company was continuously growing and the diversity of its different plants. I like to think it showed I would be a good fit in the role that required a non-standard work week with many stakeholders/locations.

Like I get it if you are applying for a standard service role where you will be just doing you skill set (whether it is a computer engineer or a machine operator or bookkeeper) and the company doesn't actually matters. There are however lots of roles that appear similar but differ based on the company.
I work as a headhunter so have some experience around this.

I was going to respond with much of the same response. The main purpose of that question is to understand the prospects motivation. Both to see if it aligns with the role but probably even more important is you gain insight that can be VERY helpful when negotiating an offer.

But yeah if the prospect is unemployed it's a different conversation and probably should be asked more like 'why do you think you're a fit' or something like that.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#53 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:35 pm

KidA24 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Lol, see above.... IDK that's one of my go-to questions as a transition. I think it depends a little bit on the role and the company. I'm an auditor hiring someone to work mostly remote and to audit different parts of the company. I really don't want a candidate that just applied for a remote audit job and doesn't have the initiative to understand the company they may work for. But I guess some of that is our job is to understand what our company does vs just performing tasks.

The question is a great way for a manager to demonstrate they think they are a gatekeeper and taskmaster for a job instead of someone who is good at managing people and understanding what success would look like for a given role.

1000? Time to join a monastery. And when/if you are hiring someone feel free to omit that question.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#54 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 pm

humanrefutation wrote:3. Try to cite concrete examples wherever possible. If they're asking you about a particular skill or job duty, highlight specific past experiences that prepare you well to handle that responsibility. That will also help tie in your resume and cover letter which, again, the interview panel probably only glanced at.

4. Don't bullsh**. If you don't know something, admit it. The truth about most gigs is that you won't really know what the job is like until you're in it. It's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that, but then discuss how your skills prepare you for the position, how you'll seek guidance from your supervisors and colleagues, and how you're a fast learner. An employer wants to know that you're not going to screw things up because you're afraid to admit what you don't know - that you're willing to ask questions and learn and grow.

Good luck!

Oh, one add-on to these. So that you don't have to bull, if they ask for a specific example and you don't have one on the ready, don't freak out - acknowledge the question and ask for a moment to think for a specific example. Compose, then go.

Those moments go so much smoother than someone who thinks they need to keep the stream of conversation going, just rambling on and on until they hit something (or don't).
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#55 » by crkone » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:42 pm

If you feel like you're losing your interviewer, drop an F bomb in there. It'll catch the interviewer by surprise and let them know you are pretty down to earth. Something like "I really **** need this job" will do wonders.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,430

Post#56 » by KidA24 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:29 pm

You just told me the company has no relevance, yet you're standing by the question about the company. Your entire post backs up what I said.

If you don't want to ask about why they want to work for your company, then don't ask that question, ask a better question.

If I'm interviewing for your company, I have NO IDEA what your culture is about and unless there is a subreddit for your company, I have no real way of finding that out beyond Glassdoor.

Even within the same company culture varies wildly between different sections of an organization.

It's an awful question, if you want to find out if someone is a good fit, ask them powerful questions about their thoughts on work culture, on teamwork, on things you actually want to know. Don't ask a **** question and use it as a gotcha moment.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#57 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 pm

crkone wrote:If you feel like you're losing your interviewer, drop an F bomb in there. It'll catch the interviewer by surprise and let them know you are pretty down to earth. Something like "I really **** need this job" will do wonders.

It might just work :) Back like 20 years ago I had an interview where they sat me in windowless room for an hour before the hiring manager finally showed up. I was straight up pissed at that point and it was a combative interview.... I got the job. Turns out the interviewer was a giant **** bully, so he liked my combative style. I ended up working for that company for 7 years. Manager who hired me got fired for being a prick about a year in. **** that guy

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,199

Post#58 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:49 pm

After seeing Sydney Sweeney take down the wings of death like an absolute champ (before Da Bomb, at least) I figured I'd try them out. I ordered their starter pack. One is smokey, one is garlic heavy, the other is like queso. I thought they sounded good.

Turns out they only confirmed what I've known for years, and that's that I'm a huge spice pussy and I couldn't handle any of them.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#59 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:55 pm

crkone wrote:If you feel like you're losing your interviewer, drop an F bomb in there. It'll catch the interviewer by surprise and let them know you are pretty down to earth. Something like "I really **** need this job" will do wonders.

I swear a lot, so its better to let the cat outta the bag for me right off the top. If the job is the type of place theyd be mad about it I wont fit in anyway. For me jobs now are about how the fit is for me, had some real **** jobs that made me hate life and miserable never again. Id rather go back to driving around pizzas then do a "real" job I hate.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#60 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:01 am

ReasonablySober wrote:After seeing Sydney Sweeney take down the wings of death like an absolute champ (before Da Bomb, at least) I figured I'd try them out. I ordered their starter pack. One is smokey, one is garlic heavy, the other is like queso. I thought they sounded good.

Turns out they only confirmed what I've known for years, and that's that I'm a huge spice pussy and I couldn't handle any of them.
My wife's an AZ native who grew up eating spicy food and gives me **** about this all the time.

I don't mind a little heat but after turning about 30 I started hiccuping past a certain heat level. Every time, it's weird.

I also don't think ANYONE actually likes the super extreme heat, they just eat it for the novelty. At some point you can't even taste the wing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks