ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#61 » by jschligs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:17 am

Why does my battered stuff always end up tasting like ****. Tried air fried chicken tenders tonight and it tastes like crap, the breading turns out awful. Followed the recipe to a T. What am I doing wrong? I hate this because I love fried stuff.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,198

Post#62 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:26 am

jschligs wrote:Why does my battered stuff always end up tasting like ****. Tried air fried chicken tenders tonight and it tastes like crap, the breading turns out awful. Followed the recipe to a T. What am I doing wrong? I hate this because I love fried stuff.

That's funny. I always have the exact same experience. I don't think I've ever made a battered and fried food that turned out well.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,138

Post#63 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:33 am

KidA24 wrote:
You just told me the company has no relevance, yet you're standing by the question about the company. Your entire post backs up what I said.

I meant it as caring about the company having no relevance ("I want to work here so we can change the world!"). The interviewee caring about how they fit with the role and fit within the company is important to me.

If you don't want to ask about why they want to work for your company, then don't ask that question, ask a better question.

If I'm interviewing for your company, I have NO IDEA what your culture is about and unless there is a subreddit for your company, I have no real way of finding that out beyond Glassdoor.

I think this is where we differ. I'm usually the second or third interview. You should have learned something either formally or informally about company along the way in screening calls, meetings with recruiters, first interview. I also work for a $10b company. Like you said culture can vary by department, but there's a huge difference in culture between my current company and my former 2. I didn't have to work there or have a best friend working there to know the difference. You know by the companies objectives, industry, earnings calls, reputation, press releases, website etc. .

Even within the same company culture varies wildly between different sections of an organization.

It's an awful question, if you want to find out if someone is a good fit, ask them powerful questions about their thoughts on work culture, on teamwork, on things you actually want to know. Don't ask a **** question and use it as a gotcha moment.

I don't think it is a gotcha moment. I do expect candidates who are going to spend the next hour with me to have some understanding of our company and the role. I usually phrase it as "There's hundreds of auditor positions on linkedIn right now, why did you apply for this role for this company". I think it is a fair open-ended question to get the conversation going and see what the candidate cares about. For my role specifically, you can publicly see what ERP the system is; whether they're a private, US public company or international public company; how many locations do they have, whether they are a manufacturer or distributer. This information shapes the type of role the person would have and I want a candidate experienced enough to know what they want...not just someone who applied because its labeled "Remote". It takes us probably 6 months to fully onboard someone due to the size and complexity of the company and I'm a team of 3. I want to try to understand the person's motivations for applying for the position because I can't risk hiring someone who is going bounce in six months since they didn't like the travel or industry (Yes, I ask more pointed follow-up questions later.)

I agree this doesn't work for all people and situation. Like if someone is interviewing for a bank teller position, its probably a dumb question on why they want to work for US Bank. Or if a small company is conducting the interview where there isn't a ton of information. Or if it is a job that is basically cookie-cutter from company to company.

But.....with all that said....some "taskmaster/gatekeeper" like me in a 3-round interview is going to ask that question so we both agree OP should be prepared for that question.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#64 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:47 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
crkone wrote:If you feel like you're losing your interviewer, drop an F bomb in there. It'll catch the interviewer by surprise and let them know you are pretty down to earth. Something like "I really **** need this job" will do wonders.

It might just work :) Back like 20 years ago I had an interview where they sat me in windowless room for an hour before the hiring manager finally showed up. I was straight up pissed at that point and it was a combative interview.... I got the job. Turns out the interviewer was a giant **** bully, so he liked my combative style. I ended up working for that company for 7 years. Manager who hired me got fired for being a prick about a year in. **** that guy

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

Lol, I had an acquaintance apply for a job at my old company and I gave a good recommendation to the Non-hiring manager who was doing the second interview because he saw we overlapped at the last job. Non-Hiring manager tells me he was the worst interview he has ever had. I was kind of shocked and embarrassed. Same interviewee applied for a job on my team but Non-hiring manager was asked by HR since he flagged him and shut it down even though I was pushing for it again because the guy was smart and a hard worker.

Years later I see him, and i awkwardly make a comment saying "you got lucky not getting that role" (The original role was known to be a grinder with little payoff) He tells me he previously worked for hiring manager and didn't know she would be his boss until the first interview. He then spent the rest of the interview being a total d-bag, taking off his jacket, putting foot on the table, checking his phone, etc I thought it was hilarious, but also a cautionary tale to take the high-road. It killed his shot at the second job which was a pretty cushy position.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#65 » by vital_signs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:41 am

jschligs wrote:Why does my battered stuff always end up tasting like ****. Tried air fried chicken tenders tonight and it tastes like crap, the breading turns out awful. Followed the recipe to a T. What am I doing wrong? I hate this because I love fried stuff.

Not enough honey mustard, the answer is always more honey mustard.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,351

Post#66 » by jute2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:48 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
crkone wrote:If you feel like you're losing your interviewer, drop an F bomb in there. It'll catch the interviewer by surprise and let them know you are pretty down to earth. Something like "I really **** need this job" will do wonders.

It might just work :) Back like 20 years ago I had an interview where they sat me in windowless room for an hour before the hiring manager finally showed up. I was straight up pissed at that point and it was a combative interview.... I got the job. Turns out the interviewer was a giant **** bully, so he liked my combative style. I ended up working for that company for 7 years. Manager who hired me got fired for being a prick about a year in. **** that guy

Lol, I had an acquaintance apply for a job at my old company and I gave a good recommendation to the Non-hiring manager who was doing the second interview because he saw we overlapped at the last job. Non-Hiring manager tells me he was the worst interview he has ever had. I was kind of shocked and embarrassed. Same interviewee applied for a job on my team but Non-hiring manager was asked by HR since he flagged him and shut it down even though I was pushing for it again because the guy was smart and a hard worker.

Years later I see him, and i awkwardly make a comment saying "you got lucky not getting that role" (The original role was known to be a grinder with little payoff) He tells me he previously worked for hiring manager and didn't know she would be his boss until the first interview. He then spent the rest of the interview being a total d-bag, taking off his jacket, putting foot on the table, checking his phone, etc I thought it was hilarious, but also a cautionary tale to take the high-road. It killed his shot at the second job which was a pretty cushy position.
Did he know you put in a good word? That's a dick move if so as it hurts your credibility.
only a fan, only an opinion
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by jute2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:52 am

I've been an interviewer and an interviewee a handful of times in a past life. I was never overly impressed by the generic hr focus group questions or the obviously rehearsed answers to said questions. It seems like resumes and references should sort most of that **** out before hand.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#68 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:01 am

jute2003 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Did he know you put in a good word? That's a dick move if so as it hurts your credibility.
My thoughts exactly and personally I'm careful of who I recommend these days for various reasons. I've had the person I refer burn me and I've also had people I refer end up in a **** spot.

Actually that same company/hiring manager from my earlier post was involved. I referred a girl I knew who got hired and was put on a team with a terrible leader. I actually called out the **** who hired us both about it at a happy hour and we almost came to blows. He was fired shortly after for multiple incidents including that one. I was written up for it, only time in my career at any job.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
vital_signs
Analyst

Post#69 » by vital_signs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:07 am

jute2003 wrote:I've been an interviewer and an interviewee a handful of times in a past life. I was never overly impressed by the generic hr focus group questions or the obviously rehearsed answers to said questions. It seems like resumes and references should sort most of that **** out before hand.

References need to go, the concept of trusting some handpicked individuals is absurd to me. Job verification and aptitude tests will give you a good worker while references can give you a popular guy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:18 am

vital_signs wrote:
jute2003 wrote:I've been an interviewer and an interviewee a handful of times in a past life. I was never overly impressed by the generic hr focus group questions or the obviously rehearsed answers to said questions. It seems like resumes and references should sort most of that **** out before hand.

References need to go, the concept of trusting some handpicked individuals is absurd to me. Job verification and aptitude tests will give you a good worker while references can give you a popular guy.

Being a liked person isn't a small thing. No one wants to work with an a*shole.
vital_signs
Analyst

Post#71 » by vital_signs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:20 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
vital_signs wrote:

Being a liked person isn't a small thing. No one wants to work with an ****.

Agree to disagree, I've seen inept people get promotions because they are well liked despite having limited skills. End of the day, it's about getting the job done right. I go to work to do my job, not to get invited to happy hours. A customer expecting quality would rather have the person who gets it done right over someone that is popular in the office.
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by jute2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:21 am

vital_signs wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
vital_signs wrote:References need to go, the concept of trusting some handpicked individuals is absurd to me. Job verification and aptitude tests will give you a good worker while references can give you a popular guy.

Agree to disagree, I've seen inept people get promotions because they are well liked despite having limited skills. End of the day, it's about getting the job done right. I go to work to do my job, not to get invited to happy hours. A customer expecting quality would rather have the person who gets it done right over someone that is popular in the office.
Why not strive for both though?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:22 am

vital_signs wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
vital_signs wrote:References need to go, the concept of trusting some handpicked individuals is absurd to me. Job verification and aptitude tests will give you a good worker while references can give you a popular guy.

Why wouldn't you want to employ someone who is both competent AND well liked? It's a bad sign if no one is willing to speak well about you.
vital_signs
Analyst

Post#74 » by vital_signs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:24 am

jute2003 wrote:
vital_signs wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Why not strive for both though?

If you have that personality and skill set, then hell ya do both.

For me, an introvert, I'm often viewed as an ass because I don't talk much and don't go to office parties. Recently I was given a batch of projects because this, particularly problematic, customer trusts me and requested me. She doesn't care that I put my headphones in and avoid conversation at the office, she just wants the projects done correctly.
vital_signs
Analyst

Post#75 » by vital_signs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
vital_signs wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Why wouldn't you want to employ someone who is both competent AND well liked? It's a bad sign if no one is willing to speak well about you.

I can get many friends to lie for me and be my reference. I find it intrusive to ask people I haven't talked to in a minute to be a reference. End of the day, it's a charade and doesn't equate to being able to perform well at your job.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#76 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:32 am

vital_signs wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
vital_signs wrote:Agree to disagree, I've seen inept people get promotions because they are well liked despite having limited skills. End of the day, it's about getting the job done right. I go to work to do my job, not to get invited to happy hours. A customer expecting quality would rather have the person who gets it done right over someone that is popular in the office.

I can get many friends to lie for me and be my reference. I find it intrusive to ask people I haven't talked to in a minute to be a reference. End of the day, it's a charade and doesn't equate to being able to perform well at your job.

I work in this hiring world too. Was just gonna say this, this quick discussion was not a debate over popularity vs introverts etc. It was about the sham that is references. Basically it comes down to this, no one is going to give you the name of someone that is going to give them a bad reference.

Now, if you have a way to independently verify things due to mutual acquaintances, someone at your current company worked with them in the past etc then that has value. A person giving you two names they know are going to say good things provides no value since everyone can do it.

Also to OP, the advice given on here was pretty spot on stuff. I'd always add to try and make interviews feel as comfortable/casual as possible instead of polished/salesmanny. Coming off like its just two folks chatting at a bar or wherever is always best. Perhaps I'm a bit biased against the slick salesman types and flag them too quickly as BSers though, but in general I think I've been right.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#77 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:43 am

There's a difference between providing references and someone at the job referring your or recommending you. It's a CLM to refer someone formally who is a **** hire. It's not a deciding factor but gives you some comfort as a hiring manager in the interview process if someone was referred, especially someone with a questionable resume (gaps, job hoping etc). They could have a good answer in the interview but you don't know if they are lying about getting fired or if it was truly downsizing as an example. If someone referred them, you get a third party opinion on that yellow flag and if it's a concern or not.
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by jute2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:44 am

DingleJerry wrote:
vital_signs wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I work in this hiring world too. Was just gonna say this, this quick discussion was not a debate over popularity vs introverts etc. It was about the sham that is references. Basically it comes down to this, no one is going to give you the name of someone that is going to give them a bad reference.

Now, if you have a way to independently verify things due to mutual acquaintances, someone at your current company worked with them in the past etc then that has value. A person giving you two names they know are going to say good things provides no value since everyone can do it.

Also to OP, the advice given on here was pretty spot on stuff. I'd always add to try and make interviews feel as comfortable/casual as possible instead of polished/salesmanny. Coming off like its just two folks chatting at a bar or wherever is always best. Perhaps I'm a bit biased against the slick salesman types and flag them too quickly as BSers though, but in general I think I've been right.
I dont necessarily disagree but who their references were and how they spoke about them was what was important. If some schmuck had his best friend from grade school as a reference and all they could muster as a compliment is that the applicant was a good guy.....that has zero value.

If the reference is a past mentor or manager that is able to talk at length about the applicants character and ability to do the job or a mutual contact that I trust that says he's legit...lots of value
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#79 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:49 am

jute2003 wrote:Did he know you put in a good word? That's a dick move if so as it hurts your credibility.

No. My coworker saw we worked at the same big four firm at the same time/level and just informally asked. Said I never worked with him but know he survived downsizing, had been out on big clients and was a cool guy to hang out with. So it wasn't like I totally went to bat for him the first time. when he applied the second time he didn't realize he was flagged.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,187

Post#80 » by MissKhriddleton » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:43 am

All great stuff, thanks again.

Since there does seem to be so many people here involved in hiring, can I ask how best to answer the very generic "tell us about yourself" question that starts every interview. Is this a time for me to discuss my current role and responsiblities and what I'm looking for? Should I talk about my career as a whole and how I ended up where I'm at? Should I talk about how my experience matches the specific job description? Should I talk about my personality and how that can benefit the company?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks