ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,138

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#81 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:11 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:All great stuff, thanks again.

Since there does seem to be so many people here involved in hiring, can I ask how best to answer the very generic "tell us about yourself" question that starts every interview. Is this a time for me to discuss my current role and responsiblities and what I'm looking for? Should I talk about my career as a whole and how I ended up where I'm at? Should I talk about how my experience matches the specific job description? Should I talk about my personality and how that can benefit the company?

IMHO it depends on the role and the person's connection to the role shape the best response. I'm a manager hiring for a small team that requires a lot of time in the same room/car/restaurant together so I like it when the candidate shows personality and gives a little background. But most of the time I would say play it safe where you can confidently and concisely walk through the highlights of your education and career in a chronological order. As mentioned earlier by someone, assume they haven't read or forgot details on your resume. Again, don't ramble or jump around. More important to be coherent and confident and if you forget something, you can work it in later in the convo. Goes without saying, but be excited about talking about your career. It shouldn't seem like a chore to give a simple answer.

Where Born/raised - I would bring this up if new job is in the area of the employer. Its sometimes seem safer to hiring manager to hire someone who is from the area and hasn't moved every two years of their life. (Also could be a connector for shared interests)
Education - mention the degree if it relates to the fields and any honors that you may have
Unrelated experience - Focus on transferrable skills - dealing with customers, managing people, overcoming obstacles
Related experience - Point out as many similarities (I worked a lot on *Read line from job description that overlaps")
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#82 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:46 pm

jschligs wrote:Why does my battered stuff always end up tasting like ****. Tried air fried chicken tenders tonight and it tastes like crap, the breading turns out awful. Followed the recipe to a T. What am I doing wrong? I hate this because I love fried stuff.

What kind of air fryer? I have one with the racks and front door instead of the bucket, and it seems to help with airflow yielding crispier breading.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,430

Post#83 » by KidA24 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:42 pm

jschligs wrote:Why does my battered stuff always end up tasting like ****. Tried air fried chicken tenders tonight and it tastes like crap, the breading turns out awful. Followed the recipe to a T. What am I doing wrong? I hate this because I love fried stuff.

What specifically is bad about the breading? Is it the same sort of thing consistently wrong?

Are you going flour -> eggs -> breadcrumbs?
Are you preheating your air fryer?
Are you flipping halfway?
Are you cooking in small batches?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,193

Post#84 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:07 am

I wanted to free up some kitchen cabinet space so I bought a door hanging wire rack and a bunch of containers. I had this idea that I'd have some oils on a shelf, flours and sugars on another, and bunch of neat spice jars on the rest.

That hasn't happened.

This rack contains very large containers of 00 flour, AP flour, almond flour, rye flour, pizza flour, high gluten flour, whole wheat flour, rice flour, dough conditioner, granulated sugar, bakers sugar, brown sugar, ascorbic acid, diamond kosher salt, mortons kosher salt, and cornmeal.

I'm honestly exhausted. I'm not really close to done. I'm taking a break.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,045

Post#85 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:19 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I wanted to free up some kitchen cabinet space so I bought a door hanging wire rack and a bunch of containers. I had this idea that I'd have some oils on a shelf, flours and sugars on another, and bunch of neat spice jars on the rest.

That hasn't happened.

This rack contains very large containers of 00 flour, AP flour, almond flour, rye flour, pizza flour, high gluten flour, whole wheat flour, rice flour, dough conditioner, granulated sugar, bakers sugar, brown sugar, ascorbic acid, diamond kosher salt, mortons kosher salt, and cornmeal.

Holy hell
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:26 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I wanted to free up some kitchen cabinet space so I bought a door hanging wire rack and a bunch of containers. I had this idea that I'd have some oils on a shelf, flours and sugars on another, and bunch of neat spice jars on the rest.

That hasn't happened.

Holy hell

And outside of pizza, I wouldn't even say I'm a good baker.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Okay, holy ****.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,036

Post#88 » by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:48 pm

That's pretty awesome.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#89 » by crkone » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:54 pm

Oof nauseous just looking at it.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,187

Post#90 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:56 pm

Or I can watch something on my TV and look at my phone and not have something strapped to my head completely oblivious to anything and anyone around me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:27 pm

The Vision Pro starts at $3,499, but that's with 256GB of storage. Apple also sells storage tiers in 512GB ($3,699) and 1TB ($3,899). (Prices and release dates for countries beyond the US are still yet to be announced.) I tested a 1TB Vision Pro and have already filled about 130GB easily. I'd be concerned about filling the 256GB version fast, considering apps are around a few gigabytes apiece so far, syncing my Photo library took up 13GB alone, and downloading a 3D version of Avatar: The Way of Water on Disney Plus occupied about 24GB.

Then there are the extras. I need prescription lenses, which cost $149. A carrying case seems like a must for such a potentially delicate product with a curved glass front, but Apple's nice padded case costs $199. AppleCare Plus also seems like a better idea here than with any other Apple product considering we don't know yet how durable Vision Pro even is, and that's another $499. It's a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Just wild how expensive this thing is.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#92 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:50 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Or I can watch something on my TV and look at my phone and not have something strapped to my head completely oblivious to anything and anyone around me.

Being immersed and "oblivious" is a huge plus IMO. Watching multiple games and quickly swapping out the largest screen is a plus. Obviously the price is a negative for now.

I get why casuals will pass but once this becomes affordable I'm in.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#93 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
The Vision Pro starts at $3,499, but that's with 256GB of storage. Apple also sells storage tiers in 512GB ($3,699) and 1TB ($3,899). (Prices and release dates for countries beyond the US are still yet to be announced.) I tested a 1TB Vision Pro and have already filled about 130GB easily. I'd be concerned about filling the 256GB version fast, considering apps are around a few gigabytes apiece so far, syncing my Photo library took up 13GB alone, and downloading a 3D version of Avatar: The Way of Water on Disney Plus occupied about 24GB.

Then there are the extras. I need prescription lenses, which cost $149. A carrying case seems like a must for such a potentially delicate product with a curved glass front, but Apple's nice padded case costs $199. AppleCare Plus also seems like a better idea here than with any other Apple product considering we don't know yet how durable Vision Pro even is, and that's another $499. It's a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Just wild how expensive this thing is.

Definitely. I'll wait for the price to drop, by then it will be even better. And there will be competition which will drive the price down. When the time comes I'll buy one based on price and features between Apple and whoever else is in play.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,743

Post#94 » by chonestown » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:32 pm

Love too kick back and strap on an immersive harness and yet the more binding relationship remains the deal with the Cupertinians.

I don't think the technology is the limiting factor. You need a place to stage the <vomits> content. A headset remains claustrophobic. Like many other things, the optimal consumer for this is one with money (duh) and residential space.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,003

Post#95 » by BUCKnation » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:44 pm

Yeah, vision pro looks incredible. It's in the first iteration apple pricing now, but in a couple years it might be more easily had.

Unfortunately, developers like Netflix, youtube and spotify havent even made apps for it yet so waiting awhile is smart anyways.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,950

Post#96 » by jschligs » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:12 pm

KidA24 wrote:

What specifically is bad about the breading? Is it the same sort of thing consistently wrong?

Are you going flour -> eggs -> breadcrumbs?
Are you preheating your air fryer?
Are you flipping halfway?
Are you cooking in small batches?

This particular recipe was just flour, no breadcrumbs. Which is probably why it was awful. I was doing flower, egg, flour. No I was not preheating my fryer because truthfully I didn't think I needed too. Flipped a few times and doing small enough batches where they aren't touching in the bucket. That said, I am buying more accessories for the fryer itself. More racks and things that will help with airflow. I'm in no rush to try again but will probably look for a good youtube video on it before I do.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Post#97 » by trwi7 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:35 am

When I started watching I thought how dumb do you have to be to fall for that and when I finished watching I thought, ok, I would totally fall for that.

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#98 » by TroyD92 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:51 am

Can’t wait to see these people walking down the street with their ski goggles on
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,138

Post#99 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Feb 4, 2024 1:06 pm

trwi7 wrote:When I started watching I thought how dumb do you have to be to fall for that and when I finished watching I thought, ok, I would totally fall for that.

Read on Twitter

I know the WTF is about how everyone got confused. But my wtf is how a person can just gain a lap advantage in the first couple laps of a 11 lap race. The video is hard to understand because is the person who won really that good? Why would the pack go so slow and that someone can lap them without having to go to the point of running out of gas?
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#100 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Feb 4, 2024 1:33 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
trwi7 wrote:When I started watching I thought how dumb do you have to be to fall for that and when I finished watching I thought, ok, I would totally fall for that.

Read on Twitter

I know the WTF is about how everyone got confused. But my wtf is how a person can just gain a lap advantage in the first couple laps of a 11 lap race. The video is hard to understand because is the person who won really that good? Why would the pack go so slow and that someone can lap them without having to go to the point of running out of gas?

I don't watch skating except for the Olympics, but the same thing happens with running. You can't sprint an entire race, so usually with two laps left in track you begin to speed up, slowly ramping up more and more until at about a half lap remaining you start going balls to the wall. So for the person who won and made the pack forget about her, she was probably exhausted after getting it setup, but then she had 10 laps to just settle back in and not have to worry. If someone had figured her out and not gotten confused, they probably would have been able to pass her because they'd have had more left in the tank. But for the pack, they didn't speed up because no one's ever done this dumb **** before and they stuck to their conventional wisdom to save their juice for the last couple laps.

Also, keep in mind it sounds like they're like 14.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks