ImageImage

PG Cavs: Wire to Wire, Bucks Win 3rd Straight

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Re: PG Cavs: Wire to Wire, Bucks Win 3rd Straight 

Post#101 » by sidney lanier » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:40 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:From what I've gathered, it's more likely that Dame/Giannis/Brook/Khris were the ones drawing up those plays. AG in the playffs was likely a 1st round exit

OK, now this is starting to sound like a fairy tale where the wise old bear delivers the moral at the end: "And they learned that playing random was not such a bad thing after all."
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#102 » by MoreTrife » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:48 pm

I'm not smart enough to articulate it and it may be placebo effect who knows, BUT, boy it felt tangibly different. Body language probably a lot to do with it. But a lot of rebounds, a lot of smiling. Defense seems connected mostly.

I was MUCH more invested, yelling at the screen, living and dying each possession.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#103 » by GBPackers47 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:50 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:1-0 in the Prunt era.

22-16*
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#104 » by GBPackers47 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:11 pm

HKPackFan wrote:The joe prunty bump is a real thing.

Keep him around in case we need him again.

If Prunty somehow becomes Interim coach of the Bucks for the 3rd time then I think he should legally get Aaron Rodgers's ownership stake when he doesn't get the full-time job.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,302

Post#105 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:42 pm

MoreTrife wrote:I'm not smart enough to articulate it and it may be placebo effect who knows, BUT, boy it felt tangibly different. Body language probably a lot to do with it. But a lot of rebounds, a lot of smiling. Defense seems connected mostly.

I was MUCH more invested, yelling at the screen, living and dying each possession.

Feel like I had a lot of confirmation bias watching the game last night. But yes, had the same impression.

Again, very old reference but this reminds me a lot of when the Brewers fired Buck Rodgers and made Harvey Kuenn manager. Brewers had a veteran team of star players, and they hated Buck Rodgers. Players walked on pins and needles in the clubhouse. The vibe was just bad.

Literally the minute Harvey took over, the entire team relaxed and went on a massive winning streak, ultimately making the World Series.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,050

Post#106 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
MoreTrife wrote:I'm not smart enough to articulate it and it may be placebo effect who knows, BUT, boy it felt tangibly different. Body language probably a lot to do with it. But a lot of rebounds, a lot of smiling. Defense seems connected mostly.

Feel like I had a lot of confirmation bias watching the game last night. But yes, had the same impression.

Again, very old reference but this reminds me a lot of when the Brewers fired Buck Rodgers and made Harvey Kuenn manager. Brewers had a veteran team of star players, and they hated Buck Rodgers. Players walked on pins and needles in the clubhouse. The vibe was just bad.

Literally the minute Harvey took over, the entire team relaxed and went on a massive winning streak, ultimately making the World Series.

When Harvey took over Doc was at Marquette.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,302

Post#107 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
When Harvey took over Doc was at Marquette.

You and I can remember that era. As a kid, my folks had season tickets to MU games, so I got to many of those games. Doc was supposed to be the star that would allow Hank Raymonds to carry on the Al years. But other than that half court shot to beat Notre Dame, most of Doc's MU time was frustrating for all parties.

Was amazing once he got to the NBA. He absolutely flourished in that setting with the Hawks.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,004

Post#108 » by BUCKnation » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:24 pm

The series of 3 passes from Giannis to get the trip-dub were amazing. I have barely seen any discussion on it, but you know if Jokic pulled those off, everyone would go crazy.

Pretty clean win, got lucky on some of their misses, especially in the 3rd, but otherwise, things ran pretty well and we didn't see that dumba** blitzing. For the most part, our issues were miscommunications and some transition problems, although most of those were pretty tough to do much about. Would have liked to have seen some AJJ.
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#109 » by pifhluk23 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:29 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
this whole idea of why teams lose is about a coach not adapting is kind of become for me just a casual armchair fans spinny excuse for why their team(usually a good team with high expectations)...... inevitably loses to the better team( with higher expectations).

i mean its 7 games. nba coaches are making changes, calling plays, setting defenses, interacting with other coaches and players.... making strategic decisions to make changes or even possibly more sane decisions to not adapt and stick to their teams strengths and what got them there.

so the idea that the key for a team to overcome a better adversary is for that team to have a superior coach who is more adaptable to me just sounds like casual fan gobbledegook. im tired of hearing it

So we're discounting all the historical evidence of Doc losing in the playoffs, and him being I believe the coach with the worst Game 7 record in history? Just casual fan nonsense?

Bud himself demonstrated progressively worse results with the same team over time. Unless you truly believe the Butler-led Heat were more talented than us, it's absolutely on coaching. You wouldn't have tried Giannis on Jimmy?

And let's just ignore the huge amount of words, written and spoken, that have been dedicated to Doc by various media personalities. Again, they are all casuals.

You think I'm wrong. Great. I sincerely hope Doc proves me wrong in the next 4-5 months. But don't come here and insult me for a perspective that is well-founded, just because it isn't the same as your own, particularly when there's so much evidence to support it.

doc took laregely inferior teams and produced gameplans that got them leads in series against largely superior teams.

these superior teams, with superior players, adjusted to docs gameplans. not so much the coaches, but more so the players.

then docs teams "choked".... but to me its more like they got reeled in then choked.

to me they choked much the way i made teams choke back in my heyday. once i realized how teams were gaurding me, what their gameplan was for me.... i made them choke. it was me who adjusted. the coach had very little to do with it. rememeber i led my conference in scoring in college and for me that final season when i was at my apex it was literally my responsibility to make that adjustement seeing whatever i saw. i didnt put it much on my coach

so i think taking this off the players is something that fans do out of frustration.

if doc had teams expected to win in vegas and they consistently didnt win then thats one thing. but honestly docs career is a resume of taking teams NOT expected to win and putting them in situations where they could and then inevitably didnt. since boston his teams were INCREDIBLY FLAWED. i give him alot of credit for honestly whats been a consistently remarkable career of competitiveness

Excellent and true post. If anything he's overachieved with the post Boston teams.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#110 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:36 pm

I think we'll at least see a relatively normal defense like last season where teams funnel guys to Brook and Freak (who won't drop nearly as low) but with the weak side guys not over-helping on drives and leaving open shooters. I saw a lot of that last night and it allowed for controlling the glass.

The Freak Time pick-and-roll game late that resulted in open drives and wide-ass open outlets to Khris in the corner were a thing of beauty as far as execution. Gianni and Dame still need to get more comfortable with each other's tendencies off of it. Thankfully there's time to sharpen those things.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#111 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:39 pm

FrieAaron wrote:Great win. Technically the Boston win was the best of the season, but really...this one was.
Somehow I missed the pre-game tweet

Read on Twitter

Sheeeeeesh

The classroom of goofy, disruptive kids actually got the inexperienced teacher fired for having zero classroom management skills and no clue how to actually teach or relate to students. Hopefully they respond well when the Principal takes over.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,233

Post#112 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:I think we'll at least see a relatively normal defense like last season where teams funnel guys to Brook and Freak (who won't drop nearly as low) but with the weak side guys not over-helping on drives and leaving open shooters. I saw a lot of that last night and it allowed for controlling the glass.

The Freak Time pick-and-roll game late that resulted in open drives and wide-ass open outlets to Khris in the corner were a thing of beauty as far as execution. Gianni and Dame still need to get more comfortable with each other's tendencies off of it. Thankfully there's time to sharpen those things.

Yea that all late game possessions were framed around that PnR action was my biggest takeaway. It really is that easy on O. 3 guys have to be sent to stop it. Why it took until 45 games in is beyond me.

Bunch of otehr stuff seemed better too but tough to say how much is confirmation bias. I noticed start of 2nd Q that Giannis was in so it wasn't a KM led bench unit. Thought that could be a good sign. But then the 4th started with the same Khris bench squad as in the past. They have to find a way to tweak their minutes schedule before playoffs. You cannot be playing 4-5 mins of the 4th Q with neither of them on the floor in the playoffs.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,771

Post#113 » by jimmybones » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:09 pm

I still can’t wrap my head around Griffins stubborn need to try to force that insane defense into existence. Even when he knew he was on the hotseat he didn’t adjust lmao
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 993

Post#114 » by MiltownMadness » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:07 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:From what I've gathered, it's more likely that Dame/Giannis/Brook/Khris were the ones drawing up those plays. AG in the playffs was likely a 1st round exit

OK, now this is starting to sound like a fairy tale where the wise old bear delivers the moral at the end: "And they learned that playing random was not such a bad thing after all."

At least Im a wise old bear
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,918

Post#115 » by emunney » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:31 pm

I didn't realize the Cavs had been playing *that* well. Spotty competition, but still have to take care of business and they definitely had been.

Read on Twitter
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,176

Post#116 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:55 pm

BUCKnation wrote:The series of 3 passes from Giannis to get the trip-dub were amazing. I have barely seen any discussion on it, but you know if Jokic pulled those off, everyone would go crazy.

Pretty clean win, got lucky on some of their misses, especially in the 3rd, but otherwise, things ran pretty well and we didn't see that dumba** blitzing. For the most part, our issues were miscommunications and some transition problems, although most of those were pretty tough to do much about. Would have liked to have seen some AJJ.

After Dame entered the game in the fourth it felt like every single offensive possession began with a Giannis/Dame pick and roll. Not sure how last night's PnR initiators stack up to the rest of the season's, the Bucks have just kind of been on my periphery the last month or so under Griffin, but it sure felt like they were rightly spamming it to death.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#117 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:18 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
My issue is that when we are actually requiring coaching, we're going into this playoffs with a more rusted-in Bud, with a longer history of an inability to adapt. Griffin could actually draw up a decent play.

Doc has, however, never had either Bucks in 6 or Dame Time to help him. Time will tell.

this whole idea of why teams lose is about a coach not adapting is kind of become for me just a casual armchair fans spinny excuse for why their team(usually a good team with high expectations)...... inevitably loses to the better team( with higher expectations).

i mean its 7 games. nba coaches are making changes, calling plays, setting defenses, interacting with other coaches and players.... making strategic decisions to make changes or even possibly more sane decisions to not adapt and stick to their teams strengths and what got them there.

so the idea that the key for a team to overcome a better adversary is for that team to have a superior coach who is more adaptable to me just sounds like casual fan gobbledegook. im tired of hearing it

So we're discounting all the historical evidence of Doc losing in the playoffs, and him being I believe the coach with the worst Game 7 record in history? Just casual fan nonsense?

Bud himself demonstrated progressively worse results with the same team over time. Unless you truly believe the Butler-led Heat were more talented than us, it's absolutely on coaching. You wouldn't have tried Giannis on Jimmy?

And let's just ignore the huge amount of words, written and spoken, that have been dedicated to Doc by various media personalities. Again, they are all casuals.

You think I'm wrong. Great. I sincerely hope Doc proves me wrong in the next 4-5 months. But don't come here and insult me for a perspective that is well-founded, just because it isn't the same as your own, particularly when there's so much evidence to support it.

show me the game 7s he lost and the series he choked with the teams involved and it could be a lesson either how good he is or how bad. it could be both ways.

for me the way i see it.....if he was putting crappier teams into game 7s against teams he had no business beating to begin with.... then it makes him a maestro

this is the best team hes ever had. cant wait to see them play some game 7s. if they lose im shining the spotlight directly on giannis and dame but thats just me i guess
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,008

Post#118 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:25 pm

What is it about last year's playoff series that makes people casually disregard the fact that, you know, Giannis wrecked his back 10-minutes into Game-1 when analyzing the outcome? We weren't the more "talented" team than Miami when they had the two best players on the floor (Jimmy and Bam) in the 3-games that Giannis missed, and arguably even afterwards because Giannis was clearly a shell of his usual athletic self.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,980

Post#119 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:What is it about last year's playoff series that makes people casually disregard the fact that, you know, Giannis wrecked his back 10-minutes into Game-1 when analyzing the outcome? We weren't the more "talented" team than Miami when they had the two best players on the floor (Jimmy and Bam) in the 3-games that Giannis missed, and arguably even afterwards because Giannis was clearly a shell of his usual athletic self.

It's truly incredible how many injury excuses get tossed out there for other teams but Giannis getting hurt just gets disregarded like it never happened.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,890

Post#120 » by blazza18 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:23 pm

FrieAaron wrote:Great win. Technically the Boston win was the best of the season, but really...this one was.
Somehow I missed the pre-game tweet

Read on Twitter

Sheeeeeesh

Given the circumstances the Bucks shouldn't have posted this online but the team does this before every game.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks