ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Gallo deciding between Bucks and Clippers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,648

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Goodbye RoLo 

Post#1861 » by JayMKE » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:50 pm

Giannis is too good at what he does to defer and become a lesser player, he’s our best player off the dribble and is better at creating for others than anyone else on the team. Whining about him not wanting to exclusively be a roll man in the post so Dame feels like the man or something is like whining about him not wanting to play center, its pointless. Dame getting less efficient with better teammates doesn’t make sense other than needing the ball in your hands constantly, maybe its a slump idk but if Dame wasn’t pure **** on defense and contributed in other ways then it would be a lot easier to swallow.

Are prime Klay/Middleton rarer than (past his prime)Dame? Kind of weird way of framing it
FREE GIANNIS
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,593

Post#1862 » by Frank Nova » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:01 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:

This **** brings tears to my eyes. I hate the fact I’m a grown man and I have an unhealthy obsession with another man’s success but I’ll just never for the life of me understand how anyone could not absolutely love Giannis. The person and the basketball player, he’s just an all around fantastic human being. A true role model and a poster child for hard work and determination.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#1863 » by DingleJerry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:04 pm

JayMKE wrote:Giannis is too good at what he does to defer and become a lesser player, he’s our best player off the dribble and is better at creating for others than anyone else on the team. Whining about him not wanting to exclusively be a roll man in the post so Dame feels like the man or something is like whining about him not wanting to play center, its pointless. Dame getting less efficient with better teammates doesn’t make sense other than needing the ball in your hands constantly, maybe its a slump idk but if Dame wasn’t pure **** on defense and contributed in other ways then it would be a lot easier to swallow.

Are prime Klay/Middleton rarer than (past his prime)Dame? Kind of weird way of framing it

No one said "exclusively". Its adding a skillset, how you can oppose a player adding a skillset I don't get, But I guess Giannis just gets a free pass. Also, Dame has been the best at this skill over the years, like best in the league good.

You also did not grasp the argument on the peak 3D players. We say nothing in Giannis' fault and he needs a better cast around him right, that's why he's lost the last two years etc right? Who can we get who is a a good enough #2 that doesn't handle the ball? Other top 12ish players are gonna have the ball in their hands. Soooooo, for the 3D non ball i nhands type who are good enough where its no longer the supporting casts fault who is out there? You can get 3D types but other than the absolute peak ones (klay? Prime KM?) they're not gonna be good enough come playoffs. Whereas, the other top 12ish players in the world (like Dame is) are almost all gonna be guys who have the ball in their hands. So among your top 12/15 ish players in the world, there is drastically more ball in their hands types than not. And its even debatable if prime Klay/KM would even qualify as that level, but we did get lucky as hell to pull it off with KM. Being that Giannis can't shoot, can't shoot FTs, and is the best finisher at the rim probably ever it would make sense to pair him with a shooting/handler and have him focus on feasting in the lane.

So again, what type of player do we look to get back for Dame who is good enough to be the #2 on a title team keeping in mind they can't be guys who operate with the ball in their hands?

Otherwise, you're going back to what they've been doing the last two year (even all 5 years) of the offense crashing in the playoffs as Giannis barrels into 3 guys. Which apparently we're supposed to go "yup thats what we do, thats what GIannis does, we should not try to fix it"

Like are gonna get Luka/Halliburton and tell them to stand and watch GIannis? And then say its all their fault
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,215

Post#1864 » by Chad34 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:14 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Giannis is too good at what he does to defer and become a lesser player, he’s our best player off the dribble and is better at creating for others than anyone else on the team. Whining about him not wanting to exclusively be a roll man in the post so Dame feels like the man or something is like whining about him not wanting to play center, its pointless. Dame getting less efficient with better teammates doesn’t make sense other than needing the ball in your hands constantly, maybe its a slump idk but if Dame wasn’t pure **** on defense and contributed in other ways then it would be a lot easier to swallow.

No one said "exclusively". Its adding a skillset, how you can oppose a player adding a skillset I don't get, But I guess Giannis just gets a free pass. Also, Dame has been the best at this skill over the years, like best in the league good.

You also did not grasp the argument on the peak 3D players. We say nothing in Giannis' fault and he needs a better cast around him right, that's why he's lost the last two years etc right? Who can we get who is a a good enough #2 that doesn't handle the ball? Other top 12ish players are gonna have the ball in their hands. Soooooo, for the 3D non ball i nhands type who are good enough where its no longer the supporting casts fault who is out there? You can get 3D types but other than the absolute peak ones (klay? Prime KM?) they're not gonna be good enough come playoffs. Whereas, the other top 12ish players in the world (like Dame is) are almost all gonna be guys who have the ball in their hands. So among your top 12/15 ish players in the world, there is drastically more ball in their hands types than not. And its even debatable if prime Klay/KM would even qualify as that level, but we did get lucky as hell to pull it off with KM. Being that Giannis can't shoot, can't shoot FTs, and is the best finisher at the rim probably ever it would make sense to pair him with a shooting/handler and have him focus on feasting in the lane.

So again, what type of player do we look to get back for Dame who is good enough to be the #2 on a title team keeping in mind they can't be guys who operate with the ball in their hands?

Otherwise, you're going back to what they've been doing the last two year (even all 5 years) of the offense crashing in the playoffs as Giannis barrels into 3 guys. Which apparently we're supposed to go "yup thats what we do, thats what GIannis does, we should not try to fix it"

Like are gonna get Luka/Halliburton and tell them to stand and watch GIannis? And then say its all their fault

Luka and Haliburton are better than this current version of dame. The problem is not just having giannis give the ball up, but having someone who is a threat with the ball in their hands when he does give it up. I haven't seen much consistency of that with Dame, seems like he struggles to get any separation at times one on one. We don't need a PG version of bobby
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#1865 » by JayMKE » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 pm

DingleJerry wrote:

You also did not grasp the argument on the peak 3D players. We say nothing in Giannis' fault and he needs a better cast around him right, that's why he's lost the last two years etc right? Who can we get who is a a good enough #2 that doesn't handle the ball? Other top 12ish players are gonna have the ball in their hands. Soooooo, for the 3D non ball i nhands type who are good enough where its no longer the supporting casts fault who is out there? You can get 3D types but other than the absolute peak ones (klay? Prime KM?) they're not gonna be good enough come playoffs. Whereas, the other top 12ish players in the world (like Dame is) are almost all gonna be guys who have the ball in their hands. So among your top 12/15 ish players in the world, there is drastically more ball in their hands types than not. And its even debatable if prime Klay/KM would even qualify as that level, but we did get lucky as hell to pull it off with KM. Being that Giannis can't shoot, can't shoot FTs, and is the best finisher at the rim probably ever it would make sense to pair him with a shooting/handler.

I think its very wishful to expect that either of these guys are going to completely change the way they play, this is a part of the fit question that people failed to consider. Giannis has two MVPs and a championship playing the way he does, Dame for some reason became a lesser player with better teammates and spacing so try to explain that. Dame needs the ball to hunt for his shot more, I think he shoots enough. The excuse for him no playing defense all these years was that he needed to shoulder such a large offensive load, doesn’t seem any better. I would trade him mostly because he’s too old to even try to build with and cripples the team financially. The Bucks need a reload and get younger, they’ll still contend on account of Giannis which has always been the case. Cant be paying Lillard, Lopez, and Khris a combined 100M+ a year.
FREE GIANNIS
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,865

Post#1866 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:29 pm

Frank Nova wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

This **** brings tears to my eyes. I hate the fact I’m a grown man and I have an unhealthy obsession with another man’s success but I’ll just never for the life of me understand how anyone could not absolutely love Giannis. The person and the basketball player, he’s just an all around fantastic human being. A true role model and a poster child for hard work and determination.

Honestly. The hate he gets from other fanbases just baffles me. He's one of the nicest, most humble stars any sport has ever seen. Barely ever cries to the refs. Doesn't flop. Plays the game the right way, on both ends. I'll never understand it. It's also sickening how little the actual **** league itself markets this man. Can you imagine if he were in LA or NY? Holy ****.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1867 » by DingleJerry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:46 pm

Chad34 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:

Luka and Haliburton are better than this current version of dame. The problem is not just having giannis give the ball up, but having someone who is a threat with the ball in their hands when he does give it up. I haven't seen much consistency of that with Dame, seems like he struggles to get any separation at times one on one. We don't need a PG version of bobby

Jeezus guys. Are we going to acquire them and then have them not do what their best at? Also, Dame was best he'd ever been just last year.

Luke/Haliburton are better than the versions they'd be here too if we told them to play this way.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1868 » by DingleJerry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:50 pm

JayMKE wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:

You also did not grasp the argument on the peak 3D players. We say nothing in Giannis' fault and he needs a better cast around him right, that's why he's lost the last two years etc right? Who can we get who is a a good enough #2 that doesn't handle the ball? Other top 12ish players are gonna have the ball in their hands. Soooooo, for the 3D non ball i nhands type who are good enough where its no longer the supporting casts fault who is out there? You can get 3D types but other than the absolute peak ones (klay? Prime KM?) they're not gonna be good enough come playoffs. Whereas, the other top 12ish players in the world (like Dame is) are almost all gonna be guys who have the ball in their hands. So among your top 12/15 ish players in the world, there is drastically more ball in their hands types than not. And its even debatable if prime Klay/KM would even qualify as that level, but we did get lucky as hell to pull it off with KM. Being that Giannis can't shoot, can't shoot FTs, and is the best finisher at the rim probably ever it would make sense to pair him with a shooting/handler.

I think its very wishful to expect that either of these guys are going to completely change the way they play, this is a part of the fit question that people failed to consider. Giannis has two MVPs and a championship playing the way he does, Dame for some reason became a lesser player with better teammates and spacing so try to explain that. Dame needs the ball to hunt for his shot more, I think he shoots enough. The excuse for him no playing defense all these years was that he needed to shoulder such a large offensive load, doesn’t seem any better. I would trade him mostly because he’s too old to even try to build with and cripples the team financially. The Bucks need a reload and get younger, they’ll still contend on account of Giannis which has always been the case. Cant be paying Lillard, Lopez, and Khris a combined 100M+ a year.

Dame is trying to change his game and be a good teammate and he's still getting all the blame here.

Its not hard to explain at all, he's having to play a different game and and had an idiot coach he clearly hated. He's the one trying to adjust and its not working. Regardless of that though he should obviously be shooting better, he lit it up in December and has crashed since. Shooter as good as him it has to come back.

And I think I've asked in every post but all that can be said is to bash Dame, what player should we be targeting to acquire that is top 10-15 level who is not a ball handler type and thus won't have his game diminished?
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,978

Post#1869 » by Prez » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:13 pm

Since Jan 1st Dame is shooting 32% on open/wide open 3s. He’s shooting 24.6% on catch and shoot 3s. He has one lights out, legit superstar-esque 40+ point game in that stretch against the Pistons padding his numbers ever so slightly, outside of that he’s at 21.6ppg, 3.6rpg, 6.3 apg, on 39.5% from the field, 28.4% from 3PT.

That’s a 20-game, month and a half stretch of him giving you Charlotte Terry Rozier type box score production but on even crappier efficiency lol.

Also, we're in mid February, the dude has had 50 games to get his legs under him, and he's playing worse now than even at the beginning of the season. If you want to excuse some of it bc of the personal stuff, that's fine.

But I'm really not trying to hear the "having to play a different game and adapt" stuff at this point in the season, or trying to pin his dog **** performances to some extent on Giannis, a top 2 player in the world and literally the only reliable dude on the team. Dame just has to be better. If you're supposedly a top 75 all time guy, get your **** together.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,138

Post#1870 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:36 pm

We might be reaching the time thanisis needs to go. I was supportive of him when he was a giannis mouth piece for pr events and was a hustle guy. He's seems to have gotten worse on the court, doesn't do the pr stuff, and now seems entitled
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1871 » by DingleJerry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:44 pm

Prez wrote:Since Jan 1st Dame is shooting 32% on open/wide open 3s. He’s shooting 24.6% on catch and shoot 3s. He has one lights out, legit superstar-esque 40+ point game in that stretch against the Pistons padding his numbers ever so slightly, outside of that he’s at 21.6ppg, 3.6rpg, 6.3 apg, on 39.5% from the field, 28.4% from 3PT.

That’s a 20-game, month and a half stretch of him giving you Charlotte Terry Rozier type box score production but on even crappier efficiency lol.

Also, we're in mid February, the dude has had 50 games to get his legs under him, and he's playing worse now than even at the beginning of the season. If you want to excuse some of it bc of the personal stuff, that's fine.

But I'm really not trying to hear the "having to play a different game and adapt" stuff at this point in the season, or trying to pin his dog **** performances to some extent on Giannis, a top 2 player in the world and literally the only reliable dude on the team. Dame just has to be better. If you're supposedly a top 75 all time guy, get your **** together.

Yea thats 100% right, he just has to be better.

50 games sure, but coaching change, ankle injury. It's been one thing after another. But, you're getting 55 mil, unless you're hurt you have to be better. And when you're as good a shooter as him the %s shouldn't be that bad regardless of lack of rhythm.

But that's not the discussion we're having here. It was on the fit, Giannis shouldn't have to adapt/tweak, trade dame due to fit etc discussion. I was saying he is getting the blame for not making it work when his is the one actually attempting to adapt and not get in Giannis' way because he knows overall Giannis is the man and #1. And again, if a ball handling scorer does not fit with Giannis on O who should we be looking to trade him for that does fit better? What top 12-15ish player does not operate with the ball in their hands who could fit with Giannis? Are we just gonna decide to get lesser players who stand there catch/shoot and repeat the same playoff O problems of the last 5 years? Or are we going to get another ballhandler type skillset and then get shocked/angry when he's not as good as he was with his primary team utilizing his full skills?
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,534

Post#1872 » by drone3 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:We might be reaching the time thanisis needs to go. I was supportive of him when he was a giannis mouth piece for pr events and was a hustle guy. He's seems to have gotten worse on the court, doesn't do the pr stuff, and now seems entitled
I got pretty pissed when he demanded the ball from Tyty a few games back and then got a back court violation. That wasn't cool
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,520

Post#1873 » by Milbucks96 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:16 am

I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong if he does better, but I’m out on Dame. I don’t think he’s going to help us win anything and actually hurt us when it matters. It’s fun to point at all the failed, super rosters that bigger markets usually get to play with, but this seems like the same slow train wreck and we’re all trying but can’t look away.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#1874 » by JayMKE » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:43 am

I don’t buy that its too hard to put guys around Giannis especially since one of the perfect hypothetical guys is still on this roster but just older, Giannis gets guys open thats not a problem unless that guy **** the bed on open shots as many do inexplicably in Milwaukee. The Bucks did need another ballhandler & scorer but the Bucks needs also guy to be able to defend and catch & shoot, Dame needs to get his **** together or its not even going to be a question of a trade since nobody is going to touch that radioactive contract. We gotta dump this guy ASAP after this season if you actually want Giannis to finish his career here, we need to reload & move on from a core of Lopez/Khris/Dame. It could be done but not if all our individual pieces rot into the ground. Giannis is the center of our universe, no one else matters.

A Murray-Jrue backcourt would have been pretty sexy tho ngl
FREE GIANNIS
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#1875 » by HKPackFan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:58 am

rilamann wrote:Giannis would probably have to put up 40/15 every night, with the Bucks needing to have the best record in the east just for him to get any serious consideration for MVP.

But if Giannis played for the Lakers, he'd probably only have to put up 24/8 and lead the Lakers to the #6 seed to get the same level of consideration.

Agreed. What is frustrating to me is the, he is tall and dunk comments.

Like have you watched this guy?!

His footwork is incredible. Like no one can actually do what he does. Besides the transition blowbys when he's in the box and suddenly takes a step here or there and somehow slithers between a couple guys and ends up next to the basketball for a finger roll or something, I'm like... How the fk did he squeeze into that tiny space like plastic man AND how the hell did he close the distance without picking up his pivot foot. It doesn't even look possible.

He does it so routinely he makes the impossible look normal, but still several times a game, I'm like wtf how did he even do that.

And it's just sad or annoying that non bucks fans can't appreciate those moments. Instead just blah blah blah just dunks no jumpshot.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,304

Post#1876 » by RiotPunch » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:40 am

Zach Lowe with the Dairy Bird name drop. :rofl:
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,668

Post#1877 » by -Jragon- » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03 am

Off the dribble 3s are harder than catch and shoot but for some reason Dame it seems like he makes the harder shots look easy and the easy shots look hard.
He's not used to being so open? He never had a guy with Giannis gravity before and he's catching some passes with noone close and he's missing
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,777

Post#1878 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:14 am

Guys, I just can't wrap my mind around the Bucks fan paranoia that Damian Lillard will never make 3s again. Simply one of the greatest shooters of all time, and he's permanently forgotten how to shoot? Nah.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,304

Post#1879 » by RiotPunch » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:14 am

-Jragon- wrote:Off the dribble 3s are harder than catch and shoot but for some reason Dame it seems like he makes the harder shots look easy and the easy shots look hard.
He's not used to being so open? He never had a guy with Giannis gravity before and he's catching some passes with noone close and he's missing

He's a rhythm shooter, much like Khris. Catch and shoot is a different animal, and the rhythm guys don't always have their shooting translate. Khris has gotten better at them over time, and I believe Dame will too, but you still need to set aside X number of actions for those guys per game to get them in rhythm. It's another reason Giannis should be screening way more than he currently is.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#1880 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:41 am

You guys are never gonna convince rational Bucks fans to have any sort of buyer's remorse over the Dame trade. Just let it go.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks