Re: PG Suns: Loss 

Post#101 » by Dick Tate » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:08 pm

Showcase season is definitely a thing.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,007

Post#102 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:09 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I don't think 'showcase' season is a thing. Like I don't think some GM is suddenly giving up more for a guy because he has a good night in a random February game the week of the deadline.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

The comical "we want multiple firsts for mediocre role-player X" stuff that front offices feed Shams/Woj don't ever do anything to pump up a guy's trade value either, but that doesn't stop teams from doing it every trade deadline....
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#103 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:11 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Know people want to see MarJon and Ajax. But I’d save the bitching for a month from now.

This is trade deadline week. We’ve got some vets that Doc needs to see how they play, before he signs off on trading them. That’s why you saw a lot of Bobby, Pat and Jae this week.

And it has the bonus of keeping some mystique about MarJon and Ajax as it relates to any trade value they’d have.

We have much bigger problems if Doc doesn't already know which potential outgoing players he needs to "sign off on." What are one or two games going to do? Like if Pat/Jae/Bobby/Robin/Cam have an up or down night will that change anything? No. Doc should know exactly what these guys bring to the table, individually, and as part of this currently constructed roster.

I'm just personally frustrated-complaining, and not really bitching yet. Because Doc is obviously trying to win games here, not just pump up vet trade value. Otherwise Giannis wouldn't be playing 40 minutes at the tail end of a brutal stretch of west coast road basketball.

You can see what you have in Jae playing him 25-30 minutes. You can also get a glimpse of Marjon or AJJ for 10-15 minutes. If you're actually trying to win the game, you might even be able to keep Jae fresh for the 4th quarter. 40 minutes for Jae Crowder who is obviously working himself back into game shape? This isn't about "not playing the young guys." It's about not being a moron.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,176

Post#104 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:12 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I don't think 'showcase' season is a thing. Like I don't think some GM is suddenly giving up more for a guy because he has a good night in a random February game the week of the deadline.

Right. Especially with the vets we are apparently willing to move. Maybe if a guy is coming off an injury, a few game stretch of solid production in heavy minutes could sway a GM to pull the trigger on a deal. But none of the vets we're willing to shop can improve their stock.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,297

Post#105 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:18 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:We have much bigger problems if Doc doesn't already know which potential outgoing players he needs to "sign off on." What are one or two games going to do? Like if Pat/Jae/Bobby/Robin/Cam have an up or down night will that change anything? No. Doc should know exactly what these guys bring to the table, individually, and as part of this currently constructed roster.

On this board, we all make our own judgments on players based on the stats and what we see watching the games. That said, it's an entirely different world if you're in practice, the locker room and courtside watching guys execute.

Doc needed these five games to decide where he values these guys.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,942

Post#106 » by tydett » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:33 pm

Not buying doomer takes in here on Doc just yet. I have a feeling that if Griffin were still head coach, it'd be an 0-5 trip with some truly ugly losses in there.

Doc comes in and wants to right the ship, trusts veteran players to do it more. Give them time to work on what he wants them to, time that the team doesn't get in practice because of the road trip. See who can hack it, who is expendable. Lose battles but try to win the war. This team has looked much better the past two weeks, and I don't actively hate myself for watching them or walk away for long stretches any more. Let's get Dame and Khris back healthy, shuffle some deck chairs on the bench, and try to hit the ground like a rocketship after the All-Star break.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,007

Post#107 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:41 pm

We're now the 7th best defense in the league since Griff was canned. Unless you think that the offense (22nd) isn't gonna bounce back and was a mirage the first 2-3 months for whatever reason, this is cause for optimism.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#108 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:42 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

The comical "we want multiple firsts for mediocre role-player X" stuff that front offices feed Shams/Woj don't ever do anything to pump up a guy's trade value either, but that doesn't stop teams from doing it every trade deadline....
You have a point there

Although half the time I wonder if that's even coming from the team or it's just **** made up by the scoop artists to fill content to the fans who want a tweet every couple hours.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
kanyon
Junior
And1: 232

Post#109 » by kanyon » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:20 pm

Doc has like 2.5 months to get to this level.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#110 » by HKPackFan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:24 pm

I do not know if it's bias but I think the team looks better even with a much worse record since doc took over.

The team is under manned for sure but they play tough and defense looks better.

I feel like we would have given up on average 135-140 pts on this road trip with grief as the coach.

Also Green shot poorly but I thought he had a couple positive active plays on D.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#111 » by jschligs » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:30 pm

HKPackFan wrote:I do not know if it's bias but I think the team looks better even with a much worse record since doc took over.

The team is under manned for sure but they play tough and defense looks better.

I feel like we would have given up on average 135-140 pts on this road trip with grief as the coach.

Also Green shot poorly but I thought he had a couple positive active plays on D.

We’ve also had some injuries and absences of Brook in this stretch. I don’t hold the 1-4 record for much. All I care is we get a top 4 seed preferably and figure out our schemes by playoffs. We fought hard against the suns with 3 of our starters out.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,092

Post#112 » by Siefer » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:35 pm

I'm not worried about the offense. We've been banged up, and on a brutal stretch of schedule. I also think it's possible the offense looks a bit clumsy for a while as they actually try to run a system. Meanwhile, this group has played good defense for 2 weeks straight now in spite of the aforementioned challenges. That's pretty exciting.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,619

Post#113 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:50 pm

chonestown wrote:Robin is really bad. Would rather have Robin Colcord.

Seriously. I figured he could at least be a guy who can stand there, play a little defense, get a few rebounds, and make a couple layups, but hooo boy. I didn't watch the game closely last night, but I saw one instance where he got a ball down low and didn't come remotely close to laying it in. It was like watching Sandy Lyle from Along Came Polly.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#114 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:17 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:
I wonder if we had been better with Jrue/Beasley/Allen and whatever we could have gotten from 29 1st at this point the answer seems like yes unfortunately.

100 million percent. i think in retrospect the trade will be remembered as almost an equal massive **** up to the coaching change

Jrue is done, that trade saved our butts. We'll get a defender or 2 by tomorrow.

trading two guys heads up who "are done"..... to the degree "theyre done".... would have been fine.

tossing in allen, picks, and the total identity of the team is where the massive **** up occurred.

a couple **** boxs that can defend isnt going to fix anything. i understand why everybody is excited that it could happen because we all care so much but ive long since figured out that a safer bet is to keep my investment levels down until the total rebuild takes place
Neuromancer56
Rookie
And1: 1,054

Post#115 » by Neuromancer56 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:29 pm

Bobby is not as bad as you all make him out to be. He had 4 steals last night and was +3 for the night. We are awfully thin at the 4/5. Rolo is completely washed, and so we need a 3rd Big that can rebound and either score or act as a rim protector. Where are we going to get that from if we trade Bobby for someone who can guard the POA? Doc can teach Bobby to pass, and that would make him much more positive contributor.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#116 » by Epicurus » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:54 pm

I only watched the first half, but I noticed that Robin L worked hard to set strong legal blocks for ball handlers and to free outside shooters, the best such than I've seen this season from any other Buck Big. Also though he didn't record a rebound in that first half, he kept his man off the offensive boards. Yes, time has taken away much from him, he does these hustle things I like from 3rd string Bigs.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks