ImageImage

PG Wolves: Loss

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Re: PG Wolves: Loss 

Post#81 » by tedbrogen » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:14 am

Who could have predicted that running PG PatC against one of the leagues best D wouldn’t work?

How hilarious would it be if this team missed the playoffs?
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#82 » by -Jragon- » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:22 am

I only have 1 thing for this game. Did you see how when AJG was making 90% of his shots -- red hot his teammates forced him open and fed him the ball for like 9 or 10 shots in 1 quarter or so?

When Dame was shooting 90% the other game he couldn't get more than 11 shots in the whole game. Guarantee if Middleton was in he would have killed it and decided that him getting up his 15-20 shots on like 36% shooting is more important. I am having trouble seeing how KMs mentally selfish vibe can fit in in this team with Dame because Dame lives off this type of "get hot and feed me" energy and it won't happen with KM in the game. If you arent aware, I'm referring to the recent game where Dame shot like 10-11 but KM still had to go 1v1 on some cats to get his 15 shots and make like 5 of them. Like, I just can't... I dislike that attitude-- me,me,me...my turn. I don't care about the excuses; get the ball back to who is 90% and sacrifice your momentum killing shots. Tonight there was none of that -- they celebrated that hot shooting and tried to fan his flame..
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,510

Post#83 » by old skool » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:22 am

The Bucks have not looked anything like a serious contender this season. Silly to blame that on Griffin, or Rivers or Horst. Most of that has to fall on the players. And unrealistic fan expectations.

Exhibit 1 is Dame Lillard. Seems like everyone is waiting for the "real" Dame to emerge. In reality, he is a mediocre 3-point shooter. Last year he averaged 37.1% from the arc, which is also his career average. He is shooting worse than that this season, but if he was shooting that 37.1% he would have made only 10 additional 3-pointers - about one 3-point field goal every 5 games. We have seen his value - getting to the rim, getting to FT line and hitting clutch baskets.

When Lillard doesn't play, the Bucks are 0-5.

When Lillard scores 25-points or fewer, the Bucks are 13-12.

When Lillard scores 26-points or more the Bucks are 20-2.

Rivers has said that the Bucks need to get the ball to Lillard more. Makes sense. I think the odds are good he gets that done.

I think Griffin was probably trying to do too much in too little time - with chaotic results. One of his rushed projects was trying to develop the three youngsters on the fly. Good in the long run, but bad in the short run. Bad in the 42 games that turned out to be his Bucks coaching tenure. Rivers comes in and promptly nails the young guys to the bench. Not permanently, but until he had a chance to see what each of them can and cannot do. Give Doc time. He said that he expects to find an asset among the bench players.

In my opinion (I know not popular), the idea that Green can easily replace Connaughton is laughable. In a league where versatility is a huge asset, Connaughton is probably the Bucks third most versatile player, after Giannis and Middleton. Tonight he and Giannis were the only Bucks capable of initiating offense, of running the point. He also has defensive versatility, as he can defend multiple positions, ala Giannis, Middleton, and Crowder (hopefully Jackson joins this group once he learns his role in a team defense). Green can do only one thing - he is a very good shooter. 40% from 3-point this season, tonight's salvo notwithstanding. He tries hard on defense, but is not very good and would struggle mightily if trying to guard out of position. He can't create shots for himself or others. His capability is reminiscent of an inexperienced Bryn Forbes. Hopefully he continues to grow.

The long road ahead of the Bucks youngsters was underscored during garbage time tonight during a time out when Connaughton had the other four players huddled around him as he was conducting class, pointing to each player followed by gesturing where that player needed to be. The youngsters were listening intently, with a sense of urgency in a game where the Bucks were down by 20-something.

The youngsters have a long way to go. It would be malpractice to throw those youngsters into the fire just so fans could "see what they've got". The Bucks have too much invested in expensive veterans (and coaches?) to throw away this season and start to short circuit the next season. The Bucks are trying to win now. Playing youngsters who lack the skill and knowledge to carry a heavy load would likely turn off the Bucks stars and dishearten the youngsters. I expect that the Bucks cadre of coaches have a better idea of how to do that successfully than we do.

That all said, I think the 42-game Griffin fiasco dug the Bucks into a deep hole that will take a while to dig out of. Likely more than the 30 remaining games. But I think by the end of the regular season, the Bucks can be a good and feared team. Justin Garcia said that since Rivers took over the Bucks have the 10th best team defense in the NBA. That is progress that all of us would gladly accept when Griffin was dismissed.

If the Bucks met the T-Wolves in the playoffs, I think a full Bucks squad, with 30+ games under Rivers and the urgency of playoff basketball, could compete with Minnesota. The vibe in June would be a lot different than the vibe in February. Have hope.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#84 » by fan230 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:01 am

My guess is last year’s team would do better this year compared to what the current group is doing. We had a team with a very balanced set of skills.

Ag was a terrible coach, doc is better; Bud was even better.

Yet I feel if were to get Jrue Javon and Wes to play regular minutes in this year’s team, we would seldom play such pathetic bball. Even without Dame.

When we saw that team play, it felt like a potential champion. This year it is so much worse.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,842

Post#85 » by TroyD92 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:24 am

You haven’t watched Pat this year if you think he’s versatile. Can he be equally bad at 3 spots? Yeah probably
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#86 » by fan230 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:29 am

I wonder bow true this is:

https://deadspin.com/doc-rivers-giannis-antetokounmpo-nba-damian-lillard-1851239960

If true, not a good sign about the Thibs like direction of Doc.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,921

Post#87 » by Fotis St » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:29 am

steger_3434 wrote:Showcasing is the most moronic thing ever. If showcasing pat a week before the deadline tricks an nba gm into wanting him then the nba is run by idiots

There are alot of idiots running the show. Our Org has some too. I am leaning to the conclusion that NBA owners and main characters are a part of a conspiracy. Cause Giannis should never happen, we are intentionally griefed even from inside to keep Giannis at Dirk's level, a one and done lucky dude. As far as I know Giannis hasn't selled his soul to the devil yet, so ... lets just have fun watching him while he is still healthy.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#88 » by tedbrogen » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:34 am

They weren’t showcasing PatC. We were warned Doc would find a random bench vet he loved and play him too much. Thus far, with the injuries to Dame and Midds, it’s Pat.

Hopefully someone shows Doc and his staff the advanced stats that show PatC is awful nowadays.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#89 » by Jez2983 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:56 am

I'm not optimistic, but there is still a way to go in the season. We still have the top end talent to make a mess of teams.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 513

Post#90 » by Isocleas2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:15 am

One of the top teams in the west vs Bucks missing their 2nd and 3rd best players, not going to lose sleep over this one. I think the Bucks by the end of the year round into shape and if healthy they're as tough of an out as anyone in the East besides Boston. They may be the 3 or 4 seed though but who cares.
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#91 » by pifhluk23 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:12 pm

FrieAaron wrote:I get the disappointment at the deadline but this isn't the game to get upset about given who didn't play. Obviously we can't afford to go .200 the rest of the way but we still have time to hopefully figure some things out

There isn't really too much to figure out, that's why were all depressed about this team. Our only chance at a title is perfect health, perfect Dame and Khris, our vet mins have to hit their 3s and Bobby and Pat have to be decent NBA players. Very slim chance everything goes right just at the right time.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,066

Post#92 » by German Athens » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:16 pm

Not worried about this loss. It’s against a top seed out west when we have $75M, and our only two perimeter creators, sitting on the bench.

Sure, we had 6 rotation guys and our best player still, but our entire offense was Giannis driving and kicking, and we were still out maybe our two best shooters, too. No one else could competently create anything. We’re a top heavy team, and that’s kind of to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,748

Post#93 » by yannisk » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:20 pm

Was half asleep during the game but looking at the box score I think it is the wrong game to bash Pat. He played out of position and had 4/6 shots and 9 assists. How many times our normal PGs got more assists?

This team is like a team made of retired players. You see our opponents every game they have players that can run and jump and run again, Horst has amassed a very old and nonathletic team.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#94 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:14 pm

Sorry, I just can't muster any sort of outrage or critique of this roster based on this one. Shoutout to the people in the game thread calling the season in early February without half our starting lineup though. "Just gonna post through it" is certainly a valid coping strategy if you indeed think a team with two All-NBA players is already toast.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#95 » by buckboy » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:17 pm

I'm glad I was drinking.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,043

Post#96 » by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:22 pm

fan230 wrote:I wonder bow true this is:

https://deadspin.com/doc-rivers-giannis-antetokounmpo-nba-damian-lillard-1851239960

lol what a piece of **** article that was.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,092

Post#97 » by Siefer » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:41 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

lol what a piece of **** article that was.

Deadspin hasn't been Deadspin for a few years now. It was either written by a bot jumbling info or someone who just Googled a few random things (they certainly haven't been watching the games).

I'm not stoked about losing a bunch of games in a row, but we're running Giannis and some dudes out there as we onboard a new coach during the toughest stretch of the season. We have a bad bench and that bench has been forced to play a ton over the last 4 games. I am not shocked it's looked rough.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,748

Post#98 » by chonestown » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:50 pm

Zombie deadspin, bro. It's a content mill at this point.

Bad look too tar Doc as Thibs-like while the Knicks are surgeon.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#99 » by Profound23 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Sorry, I just can't muster any sort of outrage or critique of this roster based on this one. Shoutout to the people in the game thread calling the season in early February without half our starting lineup though. "Just gonna post through it" is certainly a valid coping strategy if you indeed think a team with two All-NBA players is already toast.

I am calling the season in early February....calling it a championship season because we are going to win the championship. :D
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#100 » by Profound23 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:54 pm

chonestown wrote:

Zombie deadspin, bro. It's a content mill at this point.

Bad look too tar Doc as Thibs-like while the Knicks are surgeon.imo

If this is true then it's basically like we hired Nurse, which is who most people wanted anyways.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks