ImageImage

PG: Memphis Blues

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,356

Re: PG: Memphis Blues 

Post#281 » by rilamann » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:05 pm

pifhluk23 wrote:A lot of you berated me for wanting to do the Bobby for Grant Williams straight up. Simple addition by subtraction + Grant is young and has 2 years of very strong playoff performances. It was the most obvious trade I've seen since the Midds for Butler but sigh I don't get to make the decisions.

Yeah, I would have traded Bobby for Grant Williams without a 2nd thought.

I get that teams see the stats too and I don't think teams were going out of their way to try and trade for Bobby.

But the Mavs seemed like they just wanted to get rid of Williams for whatever reason, they probably would have swapped him for Bobby. It would have been a grand slam home run trade for us.

Some people might say that Grant Williams hasn't exactly played well this season and the Mavs wanted to dump him.

But I think Grant Williams just wasn't a good fit with the Mavs. Also, I doubt it would be fun going to work if you have to deal with Jason Kidd & Kyrie on a daily basis...lol.

Grant Williams, love him or hate him, is a solid competitor and a guy you would love to have on your team. My guess is he just needed a change of scenery. Would have been a great fit on the Bucks IMO.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#282 » by DingleJerry » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:08 pm

tonyreyes123 wrote:
yannisk wrote:Last year Dame scored 30+ ppg on great efficiency, he has not forgotten basketball in 6 months. He will play better, hopefully during the playoffs (and not next year for another team).

Having said that there is no way he is a top75 player. Liability on defense and nothing special as play maker

Easy to do when your expectations are a 6 seed

No its not.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,192

Post#283 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:09 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Take from it what you will, Giannis is dumb, Giannis needs more help, Dame doesn't care, Khris Middleton is the problem, etc

Dame on - 113 ORTG 101 DRTG (+12)
Dame off - 96 ORTG 140 DRTG (-44.6)
Giannis on - 107 ORTG 125 DRTG (-17.9)
Giannis off - 108 ORTG 62 DRTG (45.8)
Dame/Giannis on - 113 ORTG 117 DRTG (-4.2)

Can you give the minute total with these?

Obviously 1 game samples are mucky but you probably wouldn't expect them from last night.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,231

Post#284 » by DingleJerry » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:13 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Take from it what you will, Giannis is dumb, Giannis needs more help, Dame doesn't care, Khris Middleton is the problem, etc

So this is for the Mem game only then? Wouldn't the season data be more important or possible since Griff was fired as well.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,209

Post#285 » by FrieAaron » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:14 pm

Can you contextualize this more? This isn't each players individual on/off or their duo's on/off. What are we looking at here?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#286 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:18 pm

FrieAaron wrote:

Can you contextualize this more? This isn't each players individual on/off or their duo's on/off. What are we looking at here?

I mean it's literally just numbers from last nights game. If you want to contextualize them go ahead.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#287 » by LUKE23 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:18 pm

Ok so just one game. Still some crazy ****.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#288 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:23 pm

And Mavs fans were probably like "Why on earth would anyone want Grant Williams?"

And Hornets fans were probably like "Why would anyone give us real assets for PJ Washington and Gordon Hayward?"

And thus the endless cycle of every fanbase thinking their players who they view as "trash" are viewed equally by everyone else continues, and this board is no different. Our players are trash right up until the point where they get traded for equal or greater value. Jrue/Grayson, a 1st, and a pick swap was a trash offer for Dame until it wasn't. Bobby's a trash asset unless we don't back out of that deal and all of a sudden they're paying us additional assets to flip him for a younger, better fitting role guy. Rinse, repeat.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#289 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:25 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

Obviously 1 game samples are mucky but you probably wouldn't expect them from last night.

Matches the eye test from last night.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#290 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:27 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:Matches the eye test from last night.

Thought they were pretty funny after reading 10 pages of "Can't win with Dame" takes.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,209

Post#291 » by FrieAaron » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

I mean it's literally just numbers from last nights game. If you want to contextualize them go ahead.

OK, that makes sense and agree it matches the eye test last night. I've said a handful of times over the year, but for me the litmus test for Giannis is his rebounds. He got his on offense and made some nice passes but there was no effort on defense.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,890

Post#292 » by blazza18 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:14 am

Chessboxer wrote:Giannis from his post game interview with the Athletic last night

“There’s so many things that we have to do in order for us to be better,” Antetokounmpo said. “And it starts with, we have to want it. We have to want it. We have to want it. Like, what can I — what else should I say? Do we want it? Do we really want to win? Do we want to win?”

“We have to want it, man,” Antetokounmpo said. “Like enough with the talking. Enough with the, ‘our s— don’t-stink’ mentality. Do we really want it? Are we putting in the work? Are we going to put in the effort? Are we going to fight for what we think that we deserve or what our goals are trying to accomplish? That is the most important thing.

“Guys are tired, that’s an excuse. New coach, excuse. New system, excuse. New defense, excuse. All of it, it’s excuse. At the end of the day, you’re going to go out there and try to play basketball, try to compete and they competed harder than us today. They competed harder than us two days ago. We are not on track of what we are trying to do and I feel like the team feels it. The team feels it. I feel it.”

https://theathletic.com/5280208/2024/02/16/giannis-bucks-loss-grizzlies/

Pretty tired of these Giannis is frustrated quotes being a semi regular thing this year. He only has to look in the mirror for why the team continues to have troubles this season. Go look at his effort on both ends in the Denver game vs against Miami or the one in Memphis.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#293 » by BigO » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:14 am

Siefer wrote:
BigO wrote:
Siefer wrote:
Bobby has been driving me nuts all year, but I think calling for Bobby to get DNPs (at least during the regular season) is a bit too much. Partially because we just don't have enough behind him to make it work, partially because I just think Bobby can figure it out, and partially because so many of his minutes come with PC, who might be the biggest drag on the team relative to minutes played.

I think you're right on the substance, that his high post touches are some of the worst offense we have, and there's a reason we didn't see as much of it under Bud. Bobby is a guy that flourishes when he's put in the right positions, but he's clearly fallen in love with junky post offense, and he's not facing repercussions for playing so small on D. It feels like 2 rebounds are just taken out of his hands a game this year.

PC getting parked, and Crowder going back to the bench (although I'd be happy to see him parked) might do some work for perceptions of other guys in their orbit.

Again, both of these are bizarre analyses.

Bobby doesn't call his own offense. The coaches are calling specific post ups for Bobby.

You can even see it when Bucks coaches say something and they immediately go to a BP post-up. If Bobby was dictating to the rest of the team to get him the ball (pretty laughable concept), then the coach would just tell them to stop.

And Bud used BP on post ups all the time. It's a good staple for the Bucks and they'd be fools to go away from it. It's also why some teams have doubled BP in his post ups. They want the ball out of his hands. They did it again last night against him.

And criticizing BP on rebounding is strange. He is second on the team in rebounding by a large margin and plays a lot less than the starters.

As was mentioned in a story this morning, BP and Giannis seemed like the only two who came to play last night.

Criticizing BP is legitimate, but only after you spend 10 paragraphs criticizing the playing time PC and Crowder are getting.

BP is the least of the problems on this team. He's a bright spot of someone who brings it every night, is on a reasonable contract and is always available.

Bobby's post-ups are some of the least efficient offense we regularly run, and the numbers have improved recently! He's up to .96 PPP which is 41st percentile. I don't care who's calling for the post-ups, they're often bad offense for us, especially when they come at the expense of action involving Giannis, Dame, Midds, or open threes by good shooters.

The whataboutism is particularly strange given that I've been pretty vocal about PC and Crowder being negatives, and the primary guys I want out of the lineup. I even go out of my way to profess optimism about Bobby moving forward. I don't really get this reply, O.

Except for a few obvious posters, I don't know who has criticized PC or Crowder and who hasn't. So I didn't mean to put you in the pro camp. Sorry.

But we can agree to disagree on BP. I think he has been one of the most valuable and consistent Bucks over the last few years for all the reasons I've delineated.

As to the TS% and PPP and all the rest of the advanced stuff, I'm sure some of them are more valid than others, but I just don't buy a lot of the stuff I see. A few weeks ago, I detailed the list of TS% and the other shooting advanced stat and few of the names meet the eye test of players you want as part of your rotation.

I am admittedly an old timer that relies on old tools that I still find pretty convincing; namely shooting percentage, rebounding, blocks etc.

Here's where Bobby Portis stands in comparison to other Bucks this season:

1) Overall shooting percentage is second on the team next to Giannis at 49.4%
2) Rebounding is second on the team and by a wide margin and is still significantly lower than last year because of the scheme he has been forced to play this year.
3) Tied for first in three point percentage at 38.5% for regular rotation players

So basically one of the most efficient shooters on the team and the second best rebounder (second best in defensive rebounding which is a critical part of defense).

So yes, if I was the coach, posting up would be a mainstay when BP is on the court, especially in the regular season. He is so good they are starting to double him.

I would be searching for mismatches for BP when he is on the court, which is what every one of his coaches has done, to their credit.

My only caveat is in the playoffs the matchups become less advantageous. For example, I wouldn't post him up against Tatum, but if you can get some switching in, I would post him against Brown and other Celtics.

As to his defense, I certainly don't see a horrible defender. I am not a big defender of defensive stats, but since many on here are, here's what Statmuse says about who the Bucks best and worst defenders are:

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/milwaukee-bucks-players-defensive-rating-this-season

According to this, BP is one of the best defenders on the team. Out of the regulars, only Brook and Giannis rate higher.

But since I'm old school, I rely mainly on my eye test and BP is one of the most valuable Bucks in my opinion and the old school stats confirm it.

There are plenty of Bucks players to go after about defense, mainly on the perimeter. Beasley has been bad, as has Lillard and Connaughton.

The fascination with a negative view of BP is weird to me. Are all the coaches who pick the USA team and Olympic team (he is on the big list before the final cuts) wrong? They could be, but I don't think so.
BigO
Analyst

Post#294 » by BigO » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:25 am

blazza18 wrote:
Chessboxer wrote:Giannis from his post game interview with the Athletic last night

“There’s so many things that we have to do in order for us to be better,” Antetokounmpo said. “And it starts with, we have to want it. We have to want it. We have to want it. Like, what can I — what else should I say? Do we want it? Do we really want to win? Do we want to win?”

“We have to want it, man,” Antetokounmpo said. “Like enough with the talking. Enough with the, ‘our s— don’t-stink’ mentality. Do we really want it? Are we putting in the work? Are we going to put in the effort? Are we going to fight for what we think that we deserve or what our goals are trying to accomplish? That is the most important thing.

“Guys are tired, that’s an excuse. New coach, excuse. New system, excuse. New defense, excuse. All of it, it’s excuse. At the end of the day, you’re going to go out there and try to play basketball, try to compete and they competed harder than us today. They competed harder than us two days ago. We are not on track of what we are trying to do and I feel like the team feels it. The team feels it. I feel it.”

https://theathletic.com/5280208/2024/02/16/giannis-bucks-loss-grizzlies/

Pretty tired of these Giannis is frustrated quotes being a semi regular thing this year. He only has to look in the mirror for why the team continues to have troubles this season. Go look at his effort on both ends in the Denver game vs against Miami or the one in Memphis.

Did you really watch these games? Did you watch the Memphis game and really think his effort on offense and defense was bad? Please reconsider this. It is so far off from reality that I can't believe you really hold this opinion.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#295 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:33 am

Bobby Portis gives up 1.19 PPP on isolation defensive possessions. Terrible. He has the highest frequency of players attacked there on the entire team (11.5%).

Bobby Portis gives up 65% at the rim defensively. Terrible. He has the highest frequency of players attacked there on the entire team (45.9%).

Bobby is being targeted and exploited defensively at absolutely hilarious levels this season.

Rebounds though.
BigO
Analyst

Post#296 » by BigO » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:41 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Bobby Portis gives up 1.19 PPP on isolation defensive possessions. Terrible. He has the highest frequency of players attacked there on the entire team (11.5%).

Bobby Portis gives up 65% at the rim defensively. Terrible. He has the highest frequency of players attacked there on the entire team (45.9%).

Bobby is being targeted and exploited defensively at absolutely hilarious levels this season.

Rebounds though.

The BP narrative crowd is in full force picking and choosing their stats. I love confirmation bias.

And when I give BP's defensive rating this season (3rd best on team; I only included it to show how easy this stat game can be played), it is ignored because.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#297 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:47 am

BigO wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Bobby Portis gives up 1.19 PPP on isolation defensive possessions. Terrible. He has the highest frequency of players attacked there on the entire team (11.5%).

Rebounds though.

The BP narrative crowd is in full force picking and choosing their stats. I love confirmation bias.

And when I give BP's defensive rating this season (3rd best on team; I only included it to show how easy this stat game can be played), it is ignored because.

I mean it's just not though. I don't know where they're sourcing their stats but Bobby Portis has a DRTG of 118.3, when he's off the court the Bucks have a defensive rating of 110.8.

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612749/onoffcourt-advanced?OpponentTeamID=0&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#298 » by Diggr14 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:55 am

Karsenmitsche wrote:
GoldenAntlers wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:Hope some suck franchises will overpay for Giannis, Damn, Khash, and Lopez in the offseason.

It's time to start completely over.

Preferably franshises with a ton of picks, looking for that "last piece" or just to make the playoffs. Giannis has checked out. He has regressed as a player and has regressed mentally. Trade in the offseason.
It's crossed my mind as well. If we flame out in the first round I'll be open to it. Otherwise, when Giannis retires we're looking at another bleak 20 years.

We have zero first round picks until 2030. We’re not starting over lol

That is not true, we have 2 swaps with NO and another swap with POR in there IIRC.

Hear me out. It's hard. Get your favorite binky, cuddle it tight.. because I love Giannis too.

He's done in Milwaukee. Maybe done as a champion period. He hasn't progressed into that top 50 players all-time like he should have by now. His jump shot is the same, not good. While those things are all ok, if you are going to be a player with the ball in his hands the vast majority of times on offensive possessions you need to do three things well. 1. Handle the rock and not turn it over. 2. Know when to pass and not over dribble and stagnate the offense 3. Create for yourself and others. He does #3 well, although you could argue he hangs onto the ball way to long and it is a detriment to the shooters around him. Because even though he eventually passes the ball, he doesn't often hit the pocket he should to set up the shooter, like good passers such as Jokic do. Look at what's happened to Grayson Allen and DDV. Get them oustide MKE, where the ball moves... and all of a sudden they are world beaters shooting at high percentages. It's not a coincidence.

While he could still win a championship, I dont think he will unless he changes his game. He does it in small spurts, but he is so damn stubborn he just goes back to the same old. Get the ball at the top of the key and try to bullrush something into happening. While this works in the regular season, when teams WANT to play defense, they wall him off and he becomes much more ineffective. That's just the reality.

Defensively, he is disinterested. He had 4 rebounds against Memphis... 4... He also couldnt guard a wet paper bag. Is this just regular season normalcy? Maybe. The playoffs last season sugest to me that it is the status quo now. Him, Lopez, Dame, and Middleton are just on the wrong end of their careers to put a 4 round run in defensively anymore.

So while you say, we don't have draft picks anymore. I posit this. We will have 10+ 1st rounders if we clear the decks. We will get young talent in return too. Our "pieces" are all from different cars, years, and models. These pieces might fit better elsewhere, but together.. you're just left with a heap of undriveable ****. It's time to pack it in and sell, as a GM, you must be proactive. 1st piece to go has to be Dame or Giannis. Then the other follows immediately after. Then you sell off Lopez/Middleton.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,670

Post#299 » by -Jragon- » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:11 am

Diggr14 wrote:
Karsenmitsche wrote:
GoldenAntlers wrote:It's crossed my mind as well. If we flame out in the first round I'll be open to it. Otherwise, when Giannis retires we're looking at another bleak 20 years.

That is not true, we have 2 swaps with NO and another swap with POR in there IIRC.

Hear me out. It's hard. Get your favorite binky, cuddle it tight.. because I love Giannis too.

He's done in Milwaukee. Maybe done as a champion period. He hasn't progressed into that top 50 players all-time like he should have by now. His jump shot is the same, not good. While those things are all ok, if you are going to be a player with the ball in his hands the vast majority of times on offensive possessions you need to do three things well. 1. Handle the rock and not turn it over. 2. Know when to pass and not over dribble and stagnate the offense 3. Create for yourself and others. He does #3 well, although you could argue he hangs onto the ball way to long and it is a detriment to the shooters around him. Because even though he eventually passes the ball, he doesn't often hit the pocket he should to set up the shooter, like good passers such as Jokic do. Look at what's happened to Grayson Allen and DDV. Get them oustide MKE, where the ball moves... and all of a sudden they are world beaters shooting at high percentages. It's not a coincidence.

While he could still win a championship, I dont think he will unless he changes his game. He does it in small spurts, but he is so damn stubborn he just goes back to the same old. Get the ball at the top of the key and try to bullrush something into happening. While this works in the regular season, when teams WANT to play defense, they wall him off and he becomes much more ineffective. That's just the reality.

Defensively, he is disinterested. He had 4 rebounds against Memphis... 4... He also couldnt guard a wet paper bag. Is this just regular season normalcy? Maybe. The playoffs last season sugest to me that it is the status quo now. Him, Lopez, Dame, and Middleton are just on the wrong end of their careers to put a 4 round run in defensively anymore.

So while you say, we don't have draft picks anymore. I posit this. We will have 10+ 1st rounders if we clear the decks. We will get young talent in return too. Our "pieces" are all from different cars, years, and models. These pieces might fit better elsewhere, but together.. you're just left with a heap of undriveable ****. It's time to pack it in and sell, as a GM, you must be proactive. 1st piece to go has to be Dame or Giannis. Then the other follows immediately after. Then you sell off Lopez/Middleton.

Geez man
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#300 » by Ron Swanson » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:20 am

Diggr14 wrote:
Karsenmitsche wrote:
GoldenAntlers wrote:It's crossed my mind as well. If we flame out in the first round I'll be open to it. Otherwise, when Giannis retires we're looking at another bleak 20 years.

He's done in Milwaukee. Maybe done as a champion period. He hasn't progressed into that top 50 players all-time like he should have by now.

What in the actual **** is this?

:lol:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks