ImageImage

PG Sixers: Who needs a Nurse when you’ve got a Doc

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,287

Re: PG Sixers: Who needs a Nurse when you’ve got a Doc 

Post#141 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Low key credit to Nurse. Considering Griffin was his lead assistant and defensive coach. Nurse was doing the Lord's work in Toronto.

Sent from my SM-G991U using RealGM mobile app
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,771

Post#142 » by jimmybones » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:38 pm

It's truly astonishing we went 30-13 under Griffin, it shows how talented this team is.

I don't know if this team wins a championship but I'm just happy to see them do the common sense things we've been begging for. I feel like we at least have a shot now. It's still going to take time for it all to fully come together but it all feels so much more coherent. I'll never understand the stubborn insistence on that chaotic defense that was clearly not working with a personnel it clearly did not fit.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#143 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:53 pm

BigO wrote:
Prez wrote:It is amazing just how bad Griffin was. We were literally worst in the league in opponent transition frequency under Griffin, 4th best in the league since then. Dude inherited the best defensive big man duo in the game, with a DPOY-caliber rim protector and DPOY-caliber roaming help defender, scrapped what made them special and had the team barely league average in DFG% at the rim; we are back to top 5 ever since. No more dumbass pressuring out 30+ feet for no reason, no more guards mindlessly "crashing" the offensive glass, etc.

The basic **** that anyone with functioning eyes was calling for, the stuff that Griffin somehow couldn't grasp for 43 games, has immediately been improved and the same roster that went a month and a half straight without a single game holding opponents under 110 points (not even 100, just 110 lol) is now 6th on defense in the month since he got fired. And that's with opponents shooting 38.1% from 3, so not benefitting from outlier bad shooting at all.

Dude was literally one of the worst coaches of all time. It is hilarious that we somehow managed to be 30-13 under that absolute buffoon.

Just need Dame to keep up the aggression and Khris to help these bench units when he comes back so the offense can fully take off.

I agree with everything you said. But what does that say about Horst? I would never have given Giannis the final call, but if I'm Giannis, I assume Horst has done all the homework and the three finalists are all very competent and it's just a matter of relationships.

Griffin should never have been a finalist. That's all on Horst and I'm not a big critic of Horst.

Priority #1 was getting Giannis to sign the extension. I would bet Giannis was pushing for Griffin from the very start of the process. It's been a rocky road to get to this point, but the current outcome is about as good as could be hoped. AND I'm guessing Giannis has learned not to LeBron moving forward. I wish Horst would have prioritized acquiring defense after getting Dame, but I'm still comfortable saying Horst has done a great job.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#144 » by Profound23 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:56 pm

jimmybones wrote:It's truly astonishing we went 30-13 under Griffin, it shows how talented this team is.

I don't know if this team wins a championship but I'm just happy to see them do the common sense things we've been begging for. I feel like we at least have a shot now. It's still going to take time for it all to fully come together but it all feels so much more coherent. I'll never understand the stubborn insistence on that chaotic defense that was clearly not working with a personnel it clearly did not fit.

and how easy our schedule was
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,045

Post#145 » by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:00 pm

Prez wrote:It is amazing just how bad Griffin was. We were literally worst in the league in opponent transition frequency under Griffin, 4th best in the league since then. Dude inherited the best defensive big man duo in the game, with a DPOY-caliber rim protector and DPOY-caliber roaming help defender, scrapped what made them special and had the team barely league average in DFG% at the rim; we are back to top 5 ever since. No more dumbass pressuring out 30+ feet for no reason, no more guards mindlessly "crashing" the offensive glass, etc.

The basic **** that anyone with functioning eyes was calling for, the stuff that Griffin somehow couldn't grasp for 43 games, has immediately been improved and the same roster that went a month and a half straight without a single game holding opponents under 110 points (not even 100, just 110 lol) is now 6th on defense in the month since he got fired. And that's with opponents shooting 38.1% from 3, so not benefitting from outlier bad shooting at all.

Dude was literally one of the worst coaches of all time. It is hilarious that we somehow managed to be 30-13 under that absolute buffoon.

Just need Dame to keep up the aggression and Khris to help these bench units when he comes back so the offense can fully take off.

What's even more funny is you have people on Twitter who claim to be Bucks experts and talk on radio shows saying it's just effort for being the reason we are better, yet there clearly seems to be schematic changes, such as the ones you pointed out.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man

Post#146 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:01 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:Low key credit to Nurse. Considering Griffin was his lead assistant and defensive coach. Nurse was doing the Lord's work in Toronto.

Meh. Some guys just aren't suited to being in the lead chair and calling the shots. Head coaches know they are the ones ultimately held responsive for all aspects of team play. Nurse wasn't giving Griffin total autonomy nor does any head coach regardless of what they say. Nurse doesn't seem like the type of coach to suffer fools on his staff, and Griffin was well liked by players. He's just not a head coach and now the entire league knows it. Credit Horst for moving on quickly despite the record.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#147 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:03 pm

Officially at the 15-game mark since Potato Brain was fired.

- 10th in net-rating
- 6th in defense
- 18th in offense

Most used 5-man lineup of Dame/Beasley/Crowder/Giannis/Brook is a +31.0 net-rating lol. Like, no other lineup with at least 100 minutes logged is even remotely close (Denver's starters are +14.7).
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man

Post#148 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:05 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

What's even more funny is you have people on Twitter who claim to be Bucks experts and talk on radio shows saying it's just effort for being the reason we are better, yet there clearly seems to be schematic changes, such as the ones you pointed out.

Read on Twitter

Strategy and effort are closely related. The players must believe is what they're doing to give maximum effort. Especially for a veteran team like the Bucks, there is no BSing them to buy-in.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,777

Post#149 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:09 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:Low key credit to Nurse. Considering Griffin was his lead assistant and defensive coach. Nurse was doing the Lord's work in Toronto.

Nurse is so clueless he kept Griffin as his lead assistant year after year.

If we had hired Nurse, Griffin would likely be our lead assistant. Gross.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,045

Post#150 » by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:11 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Read on Twitter

Strategy and effort are closely related. The players must believe is what they're doing to give maximum effort. Especially for a veteran team like the Bucks, there is no BSing them to buy-in.

No denying an effort shift for the better, but I think it just diminishes the coaching job Doc and Joeger have done so far. Never thought I'd be stanning for Doc, but he's helped despite the media trying to **** on him all the time lol.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#151 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:14 pm

Some people really will give Nick Nurse credit for everything.

:lol:
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,978

Post#152 » by Prez » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

Read on Twitter

He was one of the biggest Griffin defenders basically all the way through him getting fired, so it makes sense that he would want to pin all of the issues on “lack of effort” on the part of the players rather than anything schematically stupid on Griffin’s part. Easier to do that than acknowledge “I was totally wrong about this coach I was aggressively defending for 4 months straight” lol.

That dude is (was?) also a Jason Kidd supporter for the longest time lmao. He’s one of the most passionate fans among Bucks twitter so don’t want to be too disrespectful, but yeah, among the prominent Bucks twitter people I just do not take his bball takes seriously lol.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#153 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:25 pm

Prez wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Read on Twitter

He was one of the biggest Griffin defenders basically all the way through him getting fired, so it makes sense that he would want to pin all of the issues on “lack of effort” on the part of the players rather than anything schematically stupid on Griffin’s part. Easier to do that than acknowledge “I was totally wrong about this coach I was aggressively defending for 4 months straight” lol.

That dude is (was?) also a Jason Kidd supporter for the longest time lmao. He’s one of the most passionate fans among Bucks twitter so don’t want to be too disrespectful, but yeah, among the prominent Bucks twitter people I just do not take his bball takes seriously lol.

You don’t have to say it but I will, he’s a clown.
#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,781

Post#154 » by AussieBuck » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:26 pm

The blaming Giannis for hiring Griffin thing has to be one the dumbest things ever and really needs to be buried for readability sake. Nurse talked **** to Giannis in the 2019 playoffs and used to loudly count his FT attempts. We all know Giannis is famous for his grudge **** and he thinks Nurse is a disrespectful ****.

Leaping to blaming him for Dr Grief getting shortlisted and not being the guy Giannis hated was always **** stupid.

It really needs to just **** die.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,176

Post#155 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:28 pm

jimmybones wrote:It's truly astonishing we went 30-13 under Griffin, it shows how talented this team is.

Griffin's ineptitude cannot be overstated. 3rd best winning % in NBA history and will never be considered for a head coaching gig again. As has been said plenty of times, props to Horst and Giannis for looking in the mirror and immediately righting a major wrong. The Bucks are fun again.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#156 » by BigO » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:36 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:

Griffin's ineptitude cannot be overstated. 3rd best winning % in NBA history and will never be considered for a head coaching gig again. As has been said plenty of times, props to Horst and Giannis for looking in the mirror and immediately righting a major wrong. The Bucks are fun again.

Props to the owners for eating Griffin's contract and getting Horst to fire Griffin.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,004

Post#157 » by BUCKnation » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:53 pm

AussieBuck wrote:The blaming Giannis for hiring Griffin thing has to be one the dumbest things ever and really needs to be buried for readability sake. Nurse talked **** to Giannis in the 2019 playoffs and used to loudly count his FT attempts. We all know Giannis is famous for his grudge **** and he thinks Nurse is a disrespectful ****.

Leaping to blaming him for Dr Grief getting shortlisted and not being the guy Giannis hated was always **** stupid.

It really needs to just **** die.

I think there are pretty strong rumors that Giannis asked Siakam and maybe OG about Nurse and they both didnt like him.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,755

Post#158 » by chonestown » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:57 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
chonestown wrote:Easy work. Hubie and Pasch on the call. Bobby with an all-timer open mic quote.

Enjoyable afternoon tilt all around.

What did he say?

Mic'd up caught him saying "Bucks starting to look like the Bucks again."

He also said "My candle stay lit" when interviewed by Cassidy <Mike Tyson voice> Hubbarth. This is undoubtedly in reference to Noreaga's opening lines on "Super Thug."
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#159 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:07 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Officially at the 15-game mark since Potato Brain was fired.

- 10th in net-rating
- 6th in defense
- 18th in offense

Most used 5-man lineup of Dame/Beasley/Crowder/Giannis/Brook is a +31.0 net-rating lol. Like, no other lineup with at least 100 minutes logged is even remotely close (Denver's starters are +14.7).

The starters this whole season, whether with Khris or Crowder, have been pretty much awesome. It's the bench that's been mostly a disaster. Once Khris comes back and gets his feet under him I would think a lot of that Bobby usage will recede as you'll have Freak/Khash two-man game anchoring the bench for when Dame & Brook sit. Really important Doc gets the rotations right in the home stretch. I agree with Blazza's line about the "Giannis + benchers" lineups not looking awesome. There's a world where there are always two of the top four guys on the court at the same time.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#160 » by sidney lanier » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:08 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:

As you two Jimmys pirouette on Griffin's grave, consider what improvement may have happened organically had we stuck with him.

OK, probably not much, but maybe it's time to haul that dead horse over to the rendering plant now. Still, we'll never know whether a Griffin-led Bucks could ever have shown the same kind of defensive effort being shown now. Clearly there was some dysfunction and disconnect, but whether they could have snapped out of it, or whether they were beginning to snap out of it in games 43-49, will always be an unanswered question.

BTW, I'm as encouraged as you are by the revitalization we all see. Bobby put it nicely: the Bucks are the Bucks again, and thank God. Could they have turned this corner without a coaching change? We'll never know with the certainty you possess.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings

Return to Milwaukee Bucks