Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,520

Re: Bucks beat the Bulls - Postgame thread 

Post#101 » by GoldenAntlers » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:41 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Ayt wrote:
Bev and Bobby need to spend all their minutes together out there.

That duo definitely has Grant Williams/Marcus Smart agitator potential in certain playoff moments.
I read this as "alligator potential" and I liked it.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#102 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:47 pm

tedbrogen wrote:
BigO wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
Put Brook on Jrue. Dare then to use Jrue as a screener which takes him out of the corner.

Brook's value is under the basket. They will park Jrue outside and have him just sit there.

Leave Jrue open. It’s the playoffs.

Til clutch time, when he's 3/13 & its a close enough game.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#103 » by BigO » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:03 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
BigO wrote:
Brook's value is under the basket. They will park Jrue outside and have him just sit there.

Jrue Holiday has a different role with the Celtics. He isn't the lead guard. He has the ball a lot less and is surrounded by shooters. He's shooting 45% on threes and 65% from the corners. Leaving him alone isn't a strategy worth considering, although it's a fun narrative.

On the other hand, the Celtics will have their own defensive worries against the Bucks.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#104 » by buckboy » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:15 pm

Yeah, Jrue's role is way different. I expect he'll be a lot better in the playoffs.

Having said that, I'm still operating under the assumption that Porzingis will be hurt. And if he is, the Celtics don't scare me much. Giannis may average 45 for the series either way.

The matchup seems inevitable as the ECF.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#105 » by tedbrogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:19 pm

BigO wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:

Jrue Holiday has a different role with the Celtics. He isn't the lead guard. He has the ball a lot less and is surrounded by shooters. He's shooting 45% on threes and 65% from the corners. Leaving him alone isn't a strategy worth considering, although it's a fun narrative.

On the other hand, the Celtics will have their own defensive worries against the Bucks.

Nothing in Jrue’s history suggests 65% on corner threes is sustainable.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#106 » by Shaffty » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:20 pm

BigO wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
BigO wrote:After watching the Celtics last night, my concerns are the following:

1) The Bucks need another shooter on the court during the playoffs, even if it's just ten minutes a game. That has to be be AJ Green.

2) With Jrue Holiday shooting 65% on corner threes this season, it makes the Celtics really hard to guard. All their players sit outside and force the defenders to go out and guard the perimeter.

3) I don't now what Rivers will do with Lopez against the Celtics. Who does he guard? He can't just stay in the paint. He can't switch. Interesting chess match.

Put Brook on Jrue. Dare then to use Jrue as a screener which takes him out of the corner.

you get to hide dame on jrue guys
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#107 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:32 pm

Shaffty wrote:
BigO wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:

Hide? I thought Dame has become Jrue now. :wink:
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
yb90
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#108 » by yb90 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:40 pm

One key of the Boston series, if the Cs make it that far, will be if they continue to play Jrue on Giannis, and if Giannis can keep Jrue in foul trouble. These looks against Caruso and other guards to disrupt his dribbling and force him to taller longer help defenders(wall) is good practice. It also helps to have someone like Pat Bev to practice with but I'm not sure how many more tough practices they will really have going forward
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#109 » by tedbrogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:52 pm

Smaller guys only work on Giannis if they’ve got big ol’ butts (see: Williams, Grant). Jrue doesn’t have a big enough backside to slow Giannis.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,988

Post#110 » by soxperry » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:58 pm

tedbrogen wrote:Smaller guys only work on Giannis if they’ve got big ol’ butts (see: Williams, Grant). Jrue doesn’t have a big enough backside to slow Giannis.

Guys with elite hand speed can bother him too, and thats Jrue. If freak is composed, then nbd. If hes getting sped up then the hands become a problem.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#111 » by tedbrogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:59 pm

Caruso has elite hand speed and Giannis just treated him like Butler treated Jrue.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#112 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:00 pm

BigO wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
BigO wrote:After watching the Celtics last night, my concerns are the following:

1) The Bucks need another shooter on the court during the playoffs, even if it's just ten minutes a game. That has to be be AJ Green.

2) With Jrue Holiday shooting 65% on corner threes this season, it makes the Celtics really hard to guard. All their players sit outside and force the defenders to go out and guard the perimeter.

3) I don't now what Rivers will do with Lopez against the Celtics. Who does he guard? He can't just stay in the paint. He can't switch. Interesting chess match.

Help negate it a bit by using Brook in the dunker area/post so that on the short-roll, inevitably, when half their team rotates to Gianni's drives he can throw up easy lobs to Brook. That's my arm-chair coaching. Boston is a tough matchup for Brook, you have to try and get the most out of him on offense. Obviously, without sacrificing too much from Gianni/Dame/Khris. Much will also depend on the guards getting over the top of KP's screens and staying close to guys like White/Jrue. Easier said than done, of course.

May have a situation where you gamble a few times and let Jrue have some shots with a bit of a contest. He couldn't toss a pebble into a lake the last two playoff runs.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#113 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:03 pm

yb90 wrote:One key of the Boston series, if the Cs make it that far, will be if they continue to play Jrue on Giannis, and if Giannis can keep Jrue in foul trouble. These looks against Caruso and other guards to disrupt his dribbling and force him to taller longer help defenders(wall) is good practice. It also helps to have someone like Pat Bev to practice with but I'm not sure how many more tough practices they will really have going forward

Gianni's post-up game has also come a long way. It's still a bit clunky and methodical, but he's vastly improved on his patience. Even that ugly game early in the season he made some awesome moves down low only to miss like 4-5 bunnies he normally makes. Second game when we killed them there was no such trepidation.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#114 » by Ruben Quevedo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:04 pm

tedbrogen wrote:Caruso has elite hand speed and Giannis just treated him like Butler treated Jrue.

In the past Giannis would’ve had multiple charge calls and some ugly possessions against a guy like Caruso. This time he wasn’t bothered one bit. In total command of his game.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#115 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:18 pm

Ruben Quevedo wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:Caruso has elite hand speed and Giannis just treated him like Butler treated Jrue.

In the past Giannis would’ve had multiple charge calls and some ugly possessions against a guy like Caruso. This time he wasn’t bothered one bit. In total command of his game.

Now it's flipped to where Caruso bulls his way into opposing guards. Except the refs swallow the whistle.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#116 » by BigO » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:27 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
Shaffty wrote:
BigO wrote:

I'm not worried on who is going to guard Jrue. The question was who is Lopez going to guard?
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#117 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:32 pm

lopez can be played off the court with bostons porzingas lineups but beverly and/or crowder in a giannis lineup was made for that.

horford if he goes nuclear is who poses the problem but i still like crowder on him now too. if horford is average theres plenty of time for lopez on the court imo as well. they pose similar problems for each other depending on whose hot
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,777

Post#118 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:37 pm

BigO wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
Shaffty wrote:

I'm not worried on who is going to guard Jrue. The question was who is Lopez going to guard?

We'll match up exactly like we did with them last time. Brook will be on Porzingis. Dame on White. Giannis will switch between Jrue and Brown. We'll steer Brown left again, something we never did under Bud.

The only question is whether we start Jae or Pat Bev over Beas to get an extra defender on the floor?

The Celtics don't have a pick and roll ball handler good enough to exploit Lopez.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,777

Post#119 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:41 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:This Pat Bev trade may be our PJ move. Bring him in for four months to juice the team to a title. Figure out whether he comes back later.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=z5bh-T23L7pF9lWERiKSlA

Pat Bev has a lot more in the tank than PJ did. I'd be gutted if we let him get away. Hopefully Doc won't allow it.

PJ would've stuck if Lasry didn't cheap out. Think Bev stays if its a deep/title run. Unless he wants out.

Next year it'll be time to plug in the youngsters. Use Pat Bev now though, he can still defend. Better than PJ was in every part of the game.
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#120 » by -Jragon- » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:44 pm

Couple more cool things ...
*Brook hitting big 3s as Dame is immediately doubled of the p n p
*Giannis getting the ball slashing or posting I'm the paint off ball movement
*Dame and Giannis vision and passing .. crisp, on target, yet it's deceptive as they use no look or at least look at the offensive player they aren't passing too.. also the timing.. the catch the defenders way off balance and avoid the trap now
*Bev completely took over for a stretch in the 2nd half.. hopefully Gallo gets it together because he has that potential too along with KM this can get crazy guys
- Those plays where they get Beas in space with the ball on the wing of the 3 point line but his defender is still rotating so he can drive and fish or shoot with just 1 dribble... those are perfect for him, Green and KM... way better than when they were flying full speed around a screen at the top and right into traffic. It's just simplified with less arms, hands and speed .. when Giannis came flying out of the corner for the slash and dunk it reminded me of how we used him early in his career
- Green looks more useful than our recent whiter Dontes .. like more handle/toughness/confidence... idk something..
- good to see AJJ back.. back in Dec or so his energy/speed made a huge impact on games and that was with AG as coach... imagine in this system... if Beas can do THIS in Doc's system... what can AJJ do? I'm intrigued.. we need some bigger blowouts so he can come in and impress Doc and get rotated in

Return to Milwaukee Bucks