ImageImage

PG Clippers: Dame Savings Time

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 993

Re: PG Clippers: Dame Savings Time 

Post#81 » by MiltownMadness » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:47 pm

Honestly I don't even mind going to Khris instead of Dame in late game situations. Khris can get a good shot every possession and the opposing team will just triple team Dame. We all saw 2021, dude is clutch as they come.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,520

Post#82 » by GoldenAntlers » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:06 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:
mediocrityrules wrote:So PatBev is Giannis' a-hole now? There's a really weird meme to come out of that I'm sure.

Nothing will come of it, that was a really weird thing to extract from that video tbh
Nah, it definitely stood out.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,520

Post#83 » by GoldenAntlers » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:08 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Glad they won. Really shouldn't have been that difficult.

This was a quality win, even with those two guys out. On the West Coast road, afternoon game, top tier club. Well done.

More concerned about the Laker game, where they couldn't figure out how to stop DLo from getting all those shots off. The defense looked like it did under Griffin.
Some of those shots were prayers and he kept swishing them anyway. DLo isn't doing that every game.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#84 » by crkone » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:11 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

This was a quality win, even with those two guys out. On the West Coast road, afternoon game, top tier club. Well done.

More concerned about the Laker game, where they couldn't figure out how to stop DLo from getting all those shots off. The defense looked like it did under Griffin.
Some of those shots were prayers and he kept swishing them anyway. DLo isn't doing that every game.
Yeah he was on a heater. 2/5 on tightly contested 3s and hit 6/9 on his pull-up 3s.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,670

Post#85 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:17 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:Honestly I don't even mind going to Khris instead of Dame in late game situations. Khris can get a good shot every possession and the opposing team will just triple team Dame. We all saw 2021, dude is clutch as they come.

I appreciate your opinion in your 2 posts. Don't you think you're overrating his pg skills? He kind of tunnel visions Giannis and handle is sloppy. Dame dribbles down and sees a computer screen like the terminator and makes skip passes to anyone on the court anywhere he wants.
MiltownMadness
Starter

Post#86 » by MiltownMadness » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:27 pm

-Jragon- wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:Honestly I don't even mind going to Khris instead of Dame in late game situations. Khris can get a good shot every possession and the opposing team will just triple team Dame. We all saw 2021, dude is clutch as they come.

I appreciate your opinion in your 2 posts. Don't you think you're overrating his pg skills? He kind of tunnel visions Giannis and handle is sloppy. Dame dribbles down and sees a computer screen like the terminator and makes skip passes to anyone on the court anywhere he wants.

I could be, but I think Khris has earned trust in this regard. Naysayers obviously point out how bad/dumb his turnovers are, but he historically has been very good with the ball and has gotten better with age. We know for a fact the chemistry between him and Giannis with Khris as the ballhandler is one of the greatest weapons in the league, Bucks have no choice but to use that often.

And Dame is Dame, gonna get his no matter what. having Khris as that extra wrinkle in the offense is the difference between very good team and championship imo, and that includes letting Khris continue to play his iso midrange game when he deems necessary
MiltownMadness
Starter

Post#87 » by MiltownMadness » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:29 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
mediocrityrules wrote:So PatBev is Giannis' a-hole now? There's a really weird meme to come out of that I'm sure.

Nothing will come of it, that was a really weird thing to extract from that video tbh
Nah, it definitely stood out.

0 memes created tho :P
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#88 » by Profound23 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:54 pm

Siefer wrote:Midds coming back is a big deal for a bunch of reasons, but just being able to functionally play small is pretty high on my list. Dame, Midds, and Giannis are the foundation of a fantastic small-ball lineup, and you can shade the wings towards offense, or defense depending on the situation.

Right now when other teams go small and fast, we're trying to survive it with Brook or Bobby, and it's not great. Our last 4 games have featured long stretches where the other team is trying to punish the the frontcourt guy opposite Giannis. In theory we've got something like Dame, Beas, PatC, Crowder, Giannis, but that lineup can be prone to feeling like a 2 on 5 on either end.

Is he actually coming back though? All I keep seeing our comments from the organization like "he is getting there" or "he will be back soon."
MiltownMadness
Starter

Post#89 » by MiltownMadness » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:59 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Siefer wrote:Midds coming back is a big deal for a bunch of reasons, but just being able to functionally play small is pretty high on my list. Dame, Midds, and Giannis are the foundation of a fantastic small-ball lineup, and you can shade the wings towards offense, or defense depending on the situation.

Right now when other teams go small and fast, we're trying to survive it with Brook or Bobby, and it's not great. Our last 4 games have featured long stretches where the other team is trying to punish the the frontcourt guy opposite Giannis. In theory we've got something like Dame, Beas, PatC, Crowder, Giannis, but that lineup can be prone to feeling like a 2 on 5 on either end.

Is he actually coming back though? All I keep seeing our comments from the organization like "he is getting there" or "he will be back soon."

What Doc said recently seems like the most concrete thing we've gotten, sounds like he will be back this or next week. Being able to go 100% in a workout is a big deal
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,978

Post#90 » by Prez » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm

All these comments from Dame/Giannis over the past couple weeks (but especially after this last game) about how they’re actually working on their two man game in practice now under Doc, really ironing out the different variations and counters, finally running many of the plays Dame dominated with in Portland….it has me both A) extremely excited and B) incredibly frustrated that we basically lit half the season on fire under the doofus HC. Really it’s more than half the season when you consider how little time to practice they had in Doc’s first couple weeks and no training camp/preseason either.

Unbelievable to me that as a HC you could inherit Dame/Giannis and it’s just “eh **** it we’ll figure it out at some point” re: their two man game and getting Dame the looks he likes and is used to from Portland. No wonder Dame is only now starting to look like he’s more comfortable. I just pray it’s not too late and they can fully figure it out before April.
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,520

Post#91 » by Milbucks96 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:37 pm

-Jragon- wrote:

His handle is worse but I think he’s a better/more capable passer especially with his height advantage over Dame. I think he can get a shot off one on one better than Dame too when it’s no time for a pick.
RW23
Junior
And1: 211

Post#92 » by RW23 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:43 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
Sigra wrote:I didnt watch this game. But if its true that Giannis finally learned how to make screens then I dont know how anybody who watched this game can talk about anything else. Its game changer.

He's still rarely setting *good* screens, but his commitment to it is going up. There was at least one screen where he planted, stayed set and Dame buried it. Giannis needs to see results like that to accept absorbing the contact. He is a physical player, obviously, but he likes to shy away from contact when he does not have the ball. Doc needs him to cut out this slip nonsense, although you can mix that in, and get him to plant and get set consistently. This offense will be unstoppable with Giannis setting strong screens.

Yeah, his screens still suck. Compare that to the PGs of both LA team having a ton of daylight after their centers set them screens, and it's hard to watch sometimes.

Tbh I feel like his body type doesn't lend itself well to really solid screens, so I'm not sure exactly how good it could actually get
RW23
Junior
And1: 211

Post#93 » by RW23 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:45 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

The defense has been Griffin-esque for the past few games now. Just really disconnected all of a sudden.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,305

Post#94 » by RiotPunch » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:54 pm

RW23 wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
Sigra wrote:I didnt watch this game. But if its true that Giannis finally learned how to make screens then I dont know how anybody who watched this game can talk about anything else. Its game changer.

He's still rarely setting *good* screens, but his commitment to it is going up. There was at least one screen where he planted, stayed set and Dame buried it. Giannis needs to see results like that to accept absorbing the contact. He is a physical player, obviously, but he likes to shy away from contact when he does not have the ball. Doc needs him to cut out this slip nonsense, although you can mix that in, and get him to plant and get set consistently. This offense will be unstoppable with Giannis setting strong screens.

Yeah, his screens still suck. Compare that to the PGs of both LA team having a ton of daylight after their centers set them screens, and it's hard to watch sometimes.

Tbh I feel like his body type doesn't lend itself well to really solid screens, so I'm not sure exactly how good it could actually get

Much like him not liking to play the 5, he does not want to absorb the contact that comes with setting strong screens. He can certainly do it if he committed to it. I think/hope he will crank up the physicality in the playoffs-- he was setting good screens for Khris during the title run.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
tsamo
Junior
And1: 208

Post#95 » by tsamo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:16 pm

RW23 wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

I was thinking about that the other day. Giannis has a very peculiar body type that is not exactly the best for screen setting.

Prez wrote:All these comments from Dame/Giannis over the past couple weeks (but especially after this last game) about how they’re actually working on their two man game in practice now under Doc, really ironing out the different variations and counters, finally running many of the plays Dame dominated with in Portland….it has me both A) extremely excited and B) incredibly frustrated that we basically lit half the season on fire under the doofus HC. Really it’s more than half the season when you consider how little time to practice they had in Doc’s first couple weeks and no training camp/preseason either.

Unbelievable to me that as a HC you could inherit Dame/Giannis and it’s just “eh **** it we’ll figure it out at some point” re: their two man game and getting Dame the looks he likes and is used to from Portland. No wonder Dame is only now starting to look like he’s more comfortable. I just pray it’s not too late and they can fully figure it out before April.

I wonder if it will accidentally help us come playoff time, that almost noone has actually seen it at work so it'll be harder to counter on the spot. I really hope so...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,296

Post#96 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:17 pm

RW23 wrote:
The defense has been Griffin-esque for the past few games now. Just really disconnected all of a sudden.

Yep. Was DLo hot? Sure, but there were so many times where he was able to dribble right past the initial defender, and sit at the top of the key wide open, either for a floater, or if Brook helped, he'd pass to an open cutter. It was exactly what Griffin had teams doing to us all day long.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
-Jragon-
Head Coach

Post#97 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:29 pm

The pick and roll doesn't require hard physical contact to be effective. It's footwork... when you have a dangerous ball handler then the defender can't let himself get bumped and will go high to get over that screen. GA's footwork has to be proper to make that guy take as high a path as possible and let Dame blow by GA can leak into the paint. If the defender is dumb enough to go straight into GA... he's more solid than you guys think.. he's solid rock muscle and guards are going to be eating his chest and arms. The problem before was that GA wasn't getting into position, released with the wrong footwork, turned away from the ball handler instead of facing him and rarely was patient enough to even wait until his screen was used or to use the space the ball handler creates and just ran into a bunch of defenders instead. All these problems are getting fixed... blindsiding defenders won't happen very often because teams will almost always expect Dame to get a screen and should call it out.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,942

Post#98 » by tydett » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:31 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
RW23 wrote:

Yep. Was DLo hot? Sure, but there were so many times where he was able to dribble right past the initial defender, and sit at the top of the key wide open, either for a floater, or if Brook helped, he'd pass to an open cutter. It was exactly what Griffin had teams doing to us all day long.

Obviously, when the team goes West, losing 2 hours makes the team think they went back in time to when they were dysfunctional earlier this season.

Logic infallible, checkmate nonbelievers.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,432

Post#99 » by KidA24 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:34 pm

tydett wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
RW23 wrote:

Obviously, when the team goes West, losing 2 hours makes the team think they went back in time to when they were dysfunctional earlier this season.

Logic infallible, checkmate nonbelievers.

Really, for this game they'd lost 3 hours.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
-Jragon-
Head Coach

Post#100 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:36 pm

guys who think they HAVE to make contact waste like 2 of their fouls per game sticking out their hip and thus have slower releases which makes it harder for the ball handler to get the ball to him.. it's footwork and timing.. I'd rather him focus on setting clean screens and releasing in time with the right turn. The best ever were Malone and Amare.. it was all footwork

Return to Milwaukee Bucks