Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,653

Re: PG Kings: Loss 

Post#41 » by JayMKE » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:34 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
fan230 wrote:Our fundamental problem in defense is that both our guards cannot defend. Almost every thing in defense follows from that.

On offense Giannis is amazing game after game. But this is team game. Sometimes Beas gets hot or Dame gets hot and we win; when both play terribly like today, we lose badly. Jae has become useless on offense and is just ok or less on defense.

The reality is after Bud (a coach) and Jrue (a player) left, have become much worse overall. Griff was awful. Doc is better but probably not as good as Bud. Dame overall is playing worse than Jrue. Jrue was consistently nice on offense while Dame constantly has peaks and collapses from one game to anoon offense. On defense, Jrue was brilliant and Dame is bad. If we look at this combination of abilities, the current situation is to be expected.

Pretty much, other than getting Giannis to extend this offseason was a total disaster. Dame is unhappy, Dame has regressed, Dame was always overrated to begin with. Unless he’s scoring 30+ off good efficiency then Dame doesn’t break even, he can’t grift for FTs in Milwaukee next to Giannis they’re not going to give him those calls. Lillard a lot of times reminds me of a rich man’s Bryn Forbes the way he plays with the Bucks, its always awkward and forced feeling never goes in as much as it should.

Need to rebuild this offseason, pull the plug before Dame albatross cripples us

If he's as bad as you say he is. It's over. This team is about as crippled as it gets. Not sure where you think there's an opportunity for a reset unless Giannis has some kind of Lebron iron man career in him.

It might be, this isn’t even talking about how old and injured the rest of the core is. This is never going to be a championship team and its floor is raised mostly by Giannis, I believe its very possible to reshuffle and rebuild around Giannis.

Lakers will take Lillard, use those assets + the picks we’ll have access draft day.
FREE GIANNIS
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,281

Post#42 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:35 pm

Times like these I remind myself that I got to witness the Bucks win a championship a few years after I resigned myself to the fact that they’d eventually leave town.

It’s all frosting from there.
Do it for Chuck
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#43 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:42 pm

Thank you Daylight Savings time from protecting me from watching that. Don't even want to watch the highlights. Saw Andre's putback, that's enough for me. Now I can pretend this game never happened.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,176

Post#44 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Too bad Doc doesn't get creative when our legs are dead and the vets could use a rest. Ajax and AJ would probably give us more than Crowder has been lately.

Read on Twitter

Also if quicker, more athletic, opposing guards are getting whatever the hell they want. We wouldn't have to do as many gimmicky things defensively when these types of teams are on straight heaters. The one constantly frustrating thing from this season has been the flat our refusal to incorporate AJJ's skill set into the regular rotation.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,745

Post#45 » by msiris » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:01 pm

pifhluk23 wrote:Kings 53.3 fg% 45 3p%
Bucks 36.6% & 17.9%

No need for hot takes people...
That because the D was pathetic. They pretty much got what they wanted all game long. Lots of wide open threes. Its just not going to cut it in the playoffs.
Ride the tank
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,006

Post#46 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:02 pm

Knew this one was gonna get out of hand when Sacto came out with Game-7-of-the-NBA-Finals type energy and hit, what, 8 of their first 10 threes? It's not just a Bucks problem. These "death by 3PT avalanche" games that are over by halftime are a league wide epidemic. I personally think it's awful basketball but I also can't take much of anything from the outcome of these. Just get to the playoffs already.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,748

Post#47 » by yannisk » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:13 pm

during the reign of coach Grief the defense was terrible but the offense was great
now the defense is very bad and the offense is bad too
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,745

Post#48 » by msiris » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:15 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Knew this one was gonna get out of hand when Sacto came out with Game-7-of-the-NBA-Finals type energy and hit, what, 8 of their first 10 threes? It's not just a Bucks problem. These "death by 3PT avalanche" games that are over by halftime are a league wide epidemic. I personally think it's awful basketball but I also can't take much of anything from the outcome of these. Just get to the playoffs already.
One man defending two just doesn't make any sense on the 3s.
Most of the 3s were wide open last night.
Ride the tank
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,215

Post#49 » by Chad34 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:19 pm

Last night was so bad and a continuation of something that’s happening too often for this team to be considered a serious contender. Unfortunately Giannis isn’t getting any help and this season is realistically over. I don’t know what the answer is at this point, but feels like the Dame experience is a complete disaster
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,609

Post#50 » by PG Graveyard » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:25 pm

Giannis is extended otherwise this season would be a complete dumpster fire. At this point I just hope we can win a round or maybe two in the playoffs.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#51 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:28 pm

msiris wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Knew this one was gonna get out of hand when Sacto came out with Game-7-of-the-NBA-Finals type energy and hit, what, 8 of their first 10 threes? It's not just a Bucks problem. These "death by 3PT avalanche" games that are over by halftime are a league wide epidemic. I personally think it's awful basketball but I also can't take much of anything from the outcome of these. Just get to the playoffs already.
One man defending two just doesn't make any sense on the 3s.
Most of the 3s were wide open last night.

They had 20 "wide open" 3's last night, and we had 18. They shot worse on those (40%) than their actual 3PT% for the game (45%).
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,140

Post#52 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:29 pm

How much does Bud get in his next contract? 5/$85?
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#53 » by sidney lanier » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:16 pm

Thoughts from the loyal fan base about the #2 seed in the East.

Chad34 wrote:this season is realistically over.

JayMKE wrote:This is never going to be a championship team

yannisk wrote:now the defense is very bad and the offense is bad too

TroyD92 wrote:This team is about as crippled as it gets.

It's funny to hear all this squealing
It's not that it's that unappealing
But was it that long ago
That us fans were aglow
As we basked in our fine eight-seed ceiling?
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,755

Post#54 » by chonestown » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:24 pm

It don't look good is all I can say.

Scratch that. Brook looked like he aged 10 years overnight and the Bucks don't have the footspeed to rotate on defense when the other squad starts rocketing the ball around nor can they do much at the point of attack. GSW and SAC killed them by moving the ball and fully committing to pushing the ball. The Bucks are far more conscientious with Doc at the helm, but they don't got the legs.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,942

Post#55 » by tydett » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:35 pm

chonestown wrote:It don't look good is all I can say.

Scratch that. Brook looked like he aged 10 years overnight and the Bucks don't have the footspeed to rotate on defense when the other squad starts rocketing the ball around nor can they do much at the point of attack. GSW and SAC killed them by moving the ball and fully committing to pushing the ball. The Bucks are far more conscientious with Doc at the helm, but they don't got the legs.

That's my takeaway. This team has been better, but Brook is breaking down and fairly quickly at that. I wish we played more post game stuff with him but I'm honestly not sure he can even do that anymore.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#56 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm

Well, it had been almost 8 years since since the Kings beat the Bucks, and they definitely came out of the gate ready to end the losing streak. The Bucks didn't have much interest in matching that intensity. As long as Doc doesn't hold them accountable by playing the young guys, I don't think it will change. I sense Giannis is frustrated, but even his defensive effort is becoming selective.

I have no idea why Jae Crowder gets so much run. Someone please explain it. He is not a perimeter defender. He can't even keep up with Huerter.

Not that it really mattered last night, but Doc's inability to adjust to a smaller lineup is just mind boggling. Even Bud recognized when Brook was killing his team. The Kings start Barnes on Brook and Brook does NOTHING about it. Then defensively, every single Bucks player is at a speed disadvantage which is magnified because Brook give them zero help on screens. The 'benefit of the doubt' here is that Doc is still tinkering with combinations, schemes, etc.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#57 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:59 pm

He's still a great signing for the vet minimum, but we may need to start breaking out the "invisible Jae" memes at this point. And look, ragging on Brook for his lack of foot speed against these small lineups is fair, but after a brief respite, we're sadly seeing the return of "lineup boat anchor Bobby" (-8 on-court net-rating through 6-games in March) which not-so-coincidentally has lined up with the defensive regression. When your two non-Giannis bigs are unplayable vs. teams that can go small, that's a problem.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#58 » by engelmartin » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:21 pm

The guys just treated this west coast trip as a little California vacation, it’s all good. We somehow beat the clippers anyway, but you can kind of tell they’re one of those vet teams that is just done with the regular season.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#59 » by jschligs » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:He's still a great signing for the vet minimum, but we may need to start breaking out the "invisible Jae" memes at this point. And look, ragging on Brook for his lack of foot speed against these small lineups is fair, but after a brief respite, we're sadly seeing the return of "lineup boat anchor Bobby" (-8 on-court net-rating through 6-games in March) which not-so-coincidentally has lined up with the defensive regression. When your two non-Giannis bigs are unplayable vs. teams that can go small, that's a problem.

There was one high PnR where Bobby popped out to hedge the ball handler, seemed to get lost, and it allowed Monk a wide open dunk as Bobby got sealed out of the paint by Sabonis. Pat was guarding the corner 3 and couldn't rotate in time, not that it would've made a difference. Numerous moments like this where we looked clueless against a much younger team. The Kings came out wanting blood. Just one of those games.

The defense was atrocious last night, but the Kings hit some tough shots on top of easy looks. And we had numerous open looks that wouldn't drop. When you shoot 7/39 from deep you're not going to be able to keep it close.

It's also funny to see the Dame slander after he just had a stretch of looking like his former self. We just need to wait for playoffs.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#60 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:26 pm

chonestown wrote:It don't look good is all I can say.

There were some defensive sequences to start the game which were unacceptable at just about every level of basketball.

First play: Jae Crowder beaten backdoor. Good help from Brook leading to a kick-out to Brook's man (40% 3pt shooter Barnes). Both Giannis and Dame just stand there and watch Brook try to close out. Of course, Dame has already put himself out of position to defend the perimeter anyways.

2nd play: I coached a 5th grade boys team this year. Beasley's defense in that sequence would have led to an automatic benching on my team of 11 year olds.

0:50: No idea what Brook is doing here. He completely deserved to get dunked on.

So much of the rest is complete garbage too.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks