ImageImage

PG New Orleans: Old, Unathletic Team Plays Like Old, Unathletic Team

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,750

Re: PG New Orleans: Old, Unathletic Team Plays Like Old, Unathletic Team 

Post#61 » by Wonka » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

Every time I was able to catch parts of the game, Khris was KILLING ball movement. He’s just been destroying any semblance of synergy.
Karsenmitsche
Junior
And1: 258

Post#62 » by Karsenmitsche » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

Giannis pressers usually are full of cliches but tonight’s is a must-listen.

Can tell he’s really doubting our style of play and sounds like he’s missing the style we played under Bud.

“When we play with pace we play more random, we play with instincts”.

That was our offensive identity for years, we were going to put a ton of pressure on you off missed shots/in transition. They’ve been so focused on building a good half court offense and getting dame involved primarily we’ve lost that part of our identity.

Khris mentioned a similar thing after the Lakers game.
"Ill never leave the city of Milwaukee till we build the team to a championship level"-Giannis
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,244

Post#63 » by Sigra » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

Miss Khriddleton.

hE iS dOnE
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,034

Post#64 » by mediocrityrules » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

Wonka wrote:Every time I was able to catch parts of the game, Khris was KILLING ball movement. He’s just been destroying any semblance of synergy.

Yet he was crucial to that 3rd quarter comeback, as no one else could have made the passes to Giannis that he was pulling off.

You have to decide whether you want the good with the bad with Midds. I think he's more a positive to this team than a negative overall.
Circling calendars since 2021
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,141

Post#65 » by FrieAaron » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

We're just adjusting our Khris timetable to line up perfectly for the playoffs.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#66 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

I'd like to know how many players have been in 10+ playoff games and have averaged 20/6/4.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#67 » by fan230 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

Karsenmitsche wrote:Giannis pressers usually are full of cliches but tonight’s is a must-listen.

Can tell he’s really doubting our style of play and sounds like he’s missing the style we played under Bud.

That was our offensive identity for years, we were going to put a ton of pressure on you off missed shots/in transition. They’ve been so focused on building a good half court offense and getting dame involved primarily we’ve lost that part of our identity.

This is an excellent post. Captures the essence of why our offense has been much worse since last year. With this slow and slower offense run by Dame, other teams are easily getting back in position to defend. Giannis was a fearsome sight for the defense when they knew not where and when he would be coming from. This is really what has killed our offense.

We are trying to force feed a slow deliberate offense through Dame who himself is worse than before. Also Dame cannot create well for others, he is not going to get the type of foul calls he used to get because the nba is emphasizing that, Dame has been reduced to a long distance throwing the ball up offensive player.

In the previous game with a strong lead against the Lakers and Giannis and Khris resting, we inexorably lost our lead with this slow offense led by Dame, and finally lost.

In yesterday’s game, Giannis with a single handedly brilliant offensive performance in the 3rd quarter brought us back, but this was followed by relying on the slow ineffective half court offense led by Dame which led to only one scoring attempt by Giannis. And we lost.

Again, an excellent post.

We have gone from what was perceived by some as being in the frying pan with Bud’s coaching to being in the fire.

So sad.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,398

Post#68 » by trwi7 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

We're going to lose in the play-in round and we won't even play there.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Post#69 » by BroncoBuck » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 pm

Wooderson wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:Beasley might be the least clutch shooter I have ever seen. He could be 8/10 from 3 on the night, but if there’s 1 minute left and the team needs a 3 he will brick the next 4 he takes.

Brook is going to get played off the floor in the playoffs.

Giannis needs to have the same energy and aggression in the 4th as he does in the 1st. He can’t blame it on Bud anymore.

Dame and Khris need to hit their shots.

Before the all-star break Giannis was a clear #1 in 4th quarter scoring at 8.4 points per 4th q. Since the ASG he's 26th.

They've clearly been more intentional about having Dame run the offense at the end of games. If they run PnR with Giannis, teams are usually packing the paint and forcing other dudes to shoot. If not, he's just off ball and cutting/rebounding a lot of the time.

The games pre All Star Break were track meets though. Now they are playing actual half court basketball late in games. Im not saying he’s going Ben Simmons out there, but he also doesn’t attack the rim the same as he does early in the game.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#70 » by randy84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'd like to know how many players have been in 10+ playoff games and have averaged 20/6/4.

You mean like Dame Lillard?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,708

Post#71 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 pm

Us and Boston have looked like two teams just waiting for the playoffs to start. I guess we're gonna find out if only 10-15 games of Dame/Khris/Giannis playing under Doc is enough of a runway to get the postseason chemistry down, cuz it's gonna have to be....
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,536

Post#72 » by PG Graveyard » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 pm

mediocrityrules wrote:
fan230 wrote:
Wooderson wrote:Before the all-star break Giannis was a clear #1 in 4th quarter scoring at 8.4 points per 4th q. Since the ASG he's 26th.

They've clearly been more intentional about having Dame run the offense at the end of games. If they run PnR with Giannis, teams are usually packing the paint and forcing other dudes to shoot. If not, he's just off ball and cutting/rebounding a lot of the time.

Dame running the offense is a joke. The only useful thing he can do is to try long range shots and hope he hits enough of them to pat his left wrist. Quite useless.

Doc said today that we went away too much from Giannis after his hot 3rd quarter.

Doc realizes that that's his fault right?

It’s never Doc’s fault.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#73 » by crkone » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 pm

I liked it when the Bucks (Dame) could get foul calls.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,536

Post#74 » by PG Graveyard » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 pm

Jekyl and Hyde team. I’m not even sure what seed is right and unless Dame has another level for the playoffs the number 1 thing to do this offseason is hopefully get him out of town.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#75 » by BigO » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 pm

Hopefully Doc is learning the following:

1) KM turns the ball over a lot and many times it leads to fast breaks and buckets. Talk to him.

2) Yes, they need to push the pace. That's when they are at their best. But keep learning the half court possibilities, because in playoffs there are much fewer fast break opportunities.

3) The Bucks lost last night because of free throws. We've stopped attacking the basket dramatically. I know the Bucks don't have many guys who can do that, but KM needs to be able to get to the line without dribbling off his leg.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#76 » by BUCKnation » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 pm

crkone wrote:I liked it when the Bucks (Dame) could get foul calls.

b2b games where we've gotten killed at the line
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,593

Post#77 » by Profound23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Us and Boston have looked like two teams just waiting for the playoffs to start. I guess we're gonna find out if only 10-15 games of Dame/Khris/Giannis playing under Doc is enough of a runway to get the postseason chemistry down, cuz it's gonna have to be....

The problem is we have seen Boston playing very well for 80% of the season. I trust their big 5, everyone knows their role and plays together. They can iso when it's needed but there is always a lot of ball movement. They also have the #1 spot locked up.

We play mostly iso, lazy on defense, often look like we have no clue what is going on, and can still end up anywhere between 2-4 in the East. Technically even lower than that but I doubt it.

We have a very easy schedule from here on out besides Knicks, Bucks, Thunder for three games. Time to get out sh** together or this team is going no where.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,593

Post#78 » by Profound23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
crkone wrote:I liked it when the Bucks (Dame) could get foul calls.

b2b games where we've gotten killed at the line

The Lakers game was BS and I blame the refs. This game was on us, Pelicans got to the line because we gambled too much on defense and they attacked.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,529

Post#79 » by -Jragon- » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm

fan230 wrote:
Karsenmitsche wrote:Giannis pressers usually are full of cliches but tonight’s is a must-listen.

This is an excellent post. Captures the essence of why our offense has been much worse since last year. With this slow and slower offense run by Dame, other teams are easily getting back in position to defend. Giannis was a fearsome sight for the defense when they knew not where and when he would be coming from. This is really what has killed our offense.

We are trying to force feed a slow deliberate offense through Dame who himself is worse than before. Also Dame cannot create well for others, he is not going to get the type of foul calls he used to get because the nba is emphasizing that, Dame has been reduced to a long distance throwing the ball up offensive player.

In the previous game with a strong lead against the Lakers and Giannis and Khris resting, we inexorably lost our lead with this slow offense led by Dame, and finally lost.

In yesterday’s game, Giannis with a single handedly brilliant offensive performance in the 3rd quarter brought us back, but this was followed by relying on the slow ineffective half court offense led by Dame which led to only one scoring attempt by Giannis. And we lost.

Again, an excellent post.

We have gone from what was perceived by some as being in the frying pan with Bud’s coaching to being in the fire.

So sad.

We already saw that in a series teams study you and can stop the one man bowling ball offense... draw charges regularly and make Giannis injure himself kamikaze style.. learning how to play team ball with wrinkles and intricacies is the next level for us.. this is growing pains still is necessary.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,055

Post#80 » by Siefer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 pm

We went from top 2-3 in pace with Griff, to middle of the pack with Doc. I'm not shocked it slowed down - they've been reworking the offense on the fly, and they've clearly been prioritizing halfcourt play which makes sense looking at the postseason. But yeah, we've got the best transition player on the planet, and I continue to be surprised we don't deploy more transition screens for Dame (and others!) to get open threes moving towards the basket. I know the playoffs slow down, but we should still be running more.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks