ImageImage

PG Memphis: Still Old, Slow, Disinterested, Pathetic

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,772

Re: PG Memphis: Still Old, Slow, Disinterested, Pathetic 

Post#141 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:36 pm

fansinceforever wrote:Really wish I could get to a place where I really believed that none of what I'm watching actually matters unless they're playing someone good AND play well.

It's an interesting take, thats for sure.

We were literally in this same place the year we won the ship.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#142 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:51 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
fansinceforever wrote:Really wish I could get to a place where I really believed that none of what I'm watching actually matters unless they're playing someone good AND play well.

faceless.

This is what I'm clinging to. Everyone forgets how bad we looked a lot of the title year, even in some of the playoff games. For as depressing as this is to go through, none of it matters once the playoffs start.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,772

Post#143 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:00 pm

My only major concern is Doc's commitment to Beasley.

Sure, health too, but that's everyone.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,909

Post#144 » by fansinceforever » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:06 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:

We were top 10 in offensive and defensive rating that year so, no we aren't in the same place.

Khris Middleton also plays 1/3 of the season now and is on a minute restriction.

There's quite a few differences...
fansinceforever
Analyst

Post#145 » by fansinceforever » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:08 pm

Again, if your attitude to what we've been seeing is "none of this matters and we'll be fine", I envy you. I just disagree.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#146 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:11 pm

fansinceforever wrote:Again, if your attitude to what we've been seeing is "none of this matters and we'll be fine", I envy you. I just disagree.

Categorize it how you want to but I still think when we're fully healthy and playing well we're much closer to the team that beat up on the Thunder than whatever this garbage we've been witnessing lately is. Is that crazy to believe? I don't think so.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#147 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:14 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
fansinceforever wrote:Again, if your attitude to what we've been seeing is "none of this matters and we'll be fine", I envy you. I just disagree.

Categorize it how you want to but I still think when we're fully healthy and playing well we're much closer to the team that beat up on the Thunder than whatever this garbage we've been witnessing lately is. Is that crazy to believe? I don't think so.

Maybe they figured it out versus OKC and Doc told them to play random until the postseason so teams think we are this bad?

A man can hope.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,348

Post#148 » by rilamann » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:22 pm

fansinceforever wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

We were top 10 in offensive and defensive rating that year so, no we aren't in the same place.

Khris Middleton also plays 1/3 of the season now and is on a minute restriction.

There's quite a few differences...

The comparisons to 2021 are pretty hilarious.

The 2021 team looked shaky at times, but they never looked this bad, this consistently.

Also, in 2021 PJ Tucker was the only old slow guy, now half the team is old slow guys. Brook & Middleton are shadows of what they were in 2021 and they are both still guys we heavily depend on.

The fact that Brook & Middleton are toast and we still depend on them as much as we do, is one of the main reasons why we suck.

IMO, the Bucks biggest blunder of the Giannis era still goes back to not trading Middleton for Butler when they had the chance prior to the 2018'19 season.

If Giannis could get 1 ring with Middleton, it's scary to think how many rings he could have gotten with Butler.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,106

Post#149 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:27 pm

German Athens wrote:My favorite posts are something to the effect of:

“I’m done with this team”

Just to be repeated again after the next loss.

I just wanna know who you’re lying to.

to answer this question for what i perceive to be many of us its something to do with not watching anymore... at least like we did?

25 years of league pass i probably watched 75+ FULL games per year with the popcorn out and the boxscore on my lap. this year i still watch but partials and very casually. i have probably seen like 10-15 full games and the partial ones ive got my laptop up reading about whatever or working or chatting with whoever is in the room. no popcorn. no interest. change the channel to the voice or anything else just to prevent my eyes from bleeding.

are we all still interested? .....sure. interested for what the next chapter is. win or lose i dont care just a team with some upside that plays hard and i can get behind. but this one is blown. its embarrassing and they suck for what they are. win a championship or miss the playoffs im not getting postcards. just want to watch some basketball with guys who put in effort and try to play the right way
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#150 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:33 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Anyone who wants to trade Giannis in hope that we will somehow get better as a result needs to be put on ignore

what about the guys who want to trade the entire roster just so we stop geting worse and worse with zero upside? :lol:

likely im already on ignore so oh well BUT.... its not so much trading him thats the problem for you guys its the fact that you dont like me criticizing him. the kind of trade id ok would be of such epic return on all of he, dame, middleton, and lopez that wed all be instantly tuning in again upbeat just for the upside. if trade packages didnt exist like that then :roll:... nobody is suggesting dumping anybody.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#151 » by LUKE23 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:41 pm

The point of professional sports is to win a title, not produce style points. To say you want to get rid or the best Buck ever, who also plays his heart out every night (even if he has some warts at times) is lunacy.

The roster is not worse than last year. The coaching is. It really just is that goddam simple.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#152 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:45 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The point of professional sports is to win a title, not produce style points. To say you want to get rid or the best Buck ever, who also plays his heart out every night (even if he has some warts at times) is lunacy.

The roster is not worse than last year. The coaching is. It really just is that goddam simple.

im calling for a ground up rebuild. you know they actually happen... alot.... and for good cause. if there was a way to do it and keep giannis around id be all ears but he himself wouldnt even allow it and were so tapped out financially and picks there is no plan b

so youre oversimplifying what im saying into something im not saying man.

again.... this **** seems done and we all see it. if somebody wants to propose a way to reload and keep him then fine. maybe dame and middleton alone with a youth package but it still all comes back to whether giannis himself would be ok with it. he calls the shots now. i dont see any other way around it
fansinceforever
Analyst

Post#153 » by fansinceforever » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:50 pm

I wish it were that simple but I really think a lot of our rotation players are marginally or considerably worse at various aspects of the game...

Coaching is an issue but the players are too. And from what I'm seeing it definitely isn't just motivation and will.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,001

Post#154 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:51 pm

I guess you'd have to define what makes this team apparently "worse" than the 2021 squad when all we have to go on right now is the regular season. The 2021 team lost 12 games by double digits. We've lost 12-games by double digits this season. The 2021 team also had a pretty mediocre statistical profile given their health (Jrue was the only starter to miss 10 or more games).

Like, they barely squeeked in the "Top-10 in both offense and defense" qualifier, which doesn't really mean much anymore (us and Toronto were the only two title teams to do that in the last 6-years). So yeah, not really buying the revisionist BS here. Likely a lot of people were saying the same things in 2021 as they are now. Can they flip the switch? Maybe, maybe not. We did it three years ago. Denver and Miami did it less than 12-months ago.
Bucksmaniac
Analyst
And1: 1,001

Post#155 » by Bucksmaniac » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:52 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:

We’re also a lot older among our core than that team. It’s a fair question whether we can sustain the offensive and defensive intensity needed for two months or so of play. It seems our defense can only be high quality for a week or two at a time.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#156 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:06 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I guess you'd have to define what makes this team apparently "worse" than the 2021 squad when all we have to go on right now is the regular season. The 2021 team lost 12 games by double digits. We've lost 12-games by double digits this season. The 2021 team also had a pretty mediocre statistical profile given their health (Jrue was the only starter to miss 10 or more games).

Like, they barely squeeked in the "Top-10 in both offense and defense" qualifier, which doesn't really mean much anymore (us and Toronto were the only two title teams to do that in the last 6-years). So yeah, not really buying the revisionist BS here. Likely a lot of people were saying the same things in 2021 as they are now. Can they flip the switch? Maybe, maybe not. We did it three years ago. Denver and Miami did it less than 12-months ago.

its been a long season but youre right.....this postseason will determine alot.

personally i think looking like a machine in the reg season is better than looking like ass like that year was.... but i guess well find out if thats the recipe for championship runs wont we. the other thing we had in common was a big roster transition with jrue coming in and now dame. maybe there is some truth to it. we will see
rilamann
RealGM

Post#157 » by rilamann » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:08 pm

Middleton's game looking like it has aged 10 years since 2021 is probably the biggest factor in why it's silly to compare this current team to the 2021 version. There are a bunch of reasons why it is silly, but that is probably reason #1.

You have to hold your breath and hope the guy isn't going to be out 4-6 weeks every time he falls down. He's physically incapable of playing B2Bs and looks he's running in quicksand when he actually can play.

I know, I am a pessimistic jerk because I live in reality.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#158 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:12 pm

rilamann wrote:Middleton's game looking like it has aged 10 years since 2021 is probably the biggest factor in why it's silly to compare this current team to the 2021 version. There are a bunch of reasons why it is silly, but that is probably reason #1.

You have to hold your breath and hope the guy isn't going to be out 4-6 weeks every time he falls down. He's physically incapable of playing B2Bs and looks he's running in quicksand when he actually can play.

i agree with you but we really dont know how these guys will be once the playoffs start. weve been a horrible disappointment for years in the playoffs but that one year we won can be used as an example for literally almost any season moving forward for why hope should live

all my posts are obviously being directed with the summer in mind but make no mistake i will be very hopeful if not optimistic about round one and on
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#159 » by BigO » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:12 pm

ackypoo wrote:
BigO wrote:When Bud was the coach, a certain poster stated over and over that they would never blame a coach and now begs for Bud's return because coaching is the problem. The problem is the poster, not the coach.

Just to be clear, the Bucks don't have a coaching problem. They did to begin the season and almost had a mutiny.

The Bucks team that lost yesterday is not the one that will be on the court for the playoffs. The bench, except for one or two players, is horrible, The starting lineup is very good, except for one player.

Last night, the starting guards were 5-22. That's not a coaching problem.

The starting guards last night have to be one of the worst tandems in the league this year in terms of quickness. They couldn't penetrate and they couldn't stop penetration. That is not a coaching problem.

Please raise the level of discussion.

so its your belief that memphis is more talented than the bucks minus dame and khris?

2 problems can exist at the same time.

I think it's a fair assessment that the Bucks minus a top 75 player and a multi year all star would be in the bottom tier of the NBA.

Just like Memphis, with the same coach, is now in the bottom tier, because they lost Morant, Smart and Bane. Top players are what makes teams good.

I think the Bucks have a good shot IF they are healthy. My main concern is having a below average shooting guard, who will likely have problems in the playoffs.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#160 » by rilamann » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:22 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
rilamann wrote:Middleton's game looking like it has aged 10 years since 2021 is probably the biggest factor in why it's silly to compare this current team to the 2021 version. There are a bunch of reasons why it is silly, but that is probably reason #1.

i agree with you but we really dont know how these guys will be once the playoffs start. weve been a horrible disappointment for years in the playoffs but that one year we won can be used as an example for literally almost any season moving forward for why hope should live

all my posts are obviously being directed with the summer in mind but make no mistake i will be very hopeful if not optimistic about round one and on

I could see how it could give some people hope, but I think it's foolish.

To me, looking back at the 2021 season actually gives me less hope.

In 2021 the Bucks did look pretty meh in the regular season, I will admit that, and then they did end up winning the championship.

But the chances of a team that looks meh for most the regular season winning the championship is pretty slim, and the Bucks just did it. Which means the odds of them doing it again 3 years later is minuscule.

I haven't been following the NBA as long as you have, been I have been following long enough to know that the team who wins the championship. Usually isn't the team that is losing back to back games to tanking teams 2 weeks before the playoffs.

We'll see.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks