ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Bucks deny Pistons to talk to Horst

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,075

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas 

Post#381 » by German Athens » Fri May 3, 2024 2:08 pm

I though our first 7 years out got locked, but it looks like that wouldn’t happen until next off-season, so I think we will be able to trade the 2031 first.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,758

Post#382 » by chonestown » Fri May 3, 2024 2:12 pm

Y'know, sometimes a dog is just a garden-variety arsehole.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,042

Post#383 » by Daver » Fri May 3, 2024 2:23 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I realize we are in win now mode as long as Giannis is here. But I really don't want to trade away any more firsts. We have no firsts or have pick swaps for the next several years.

Considering our big 3 only played in like 15 games together is startling to me that people want dame or midds traded.The bucks starting 5 had the best O rating in basketball this team won 49 games with only playing together 15 games or so.Hang onto this core you will have a full training camp to work with everyone a very motivated dame n giannis.This team can n i think it will be extremely dangerous next year with some slight tinkering arounf the edges.
AntetokounmBros
Rookie
And1: 1,196

Post#384 » by AntetokounmBros » Fri May 3, 2024 2:23 pm

WeMajor34 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:How about "nothing can be gleaned from a series with your two best players out/hobbled" and leave it at that? Did Game 5 really swing so many emotional pendulums and trick people into thinking we were gonna win two straight with no Giannis and Dame basically on crutches?

Only thing anyone should be sure of at this point is that you finally need to move on from the Brook/Bobby front court. Whether it's one of or both guys, you can't have $30+ mil invested in personnel that is incredibly matchup dependent and play the same position as your superstar.

Totally agree here. I think Brook is more valuable to a startup-young team like Orlando or Houston than he is to us right now.

Same goes with Bobby. A middling team could use and probably start him.

Getting bigs who can slide their feet on defense and not be so ground-bound will hopefully be a focus this summer. I love Bobby and Brook but I think their time in Milwaukee may be up.

Doc sounded confident in his interview that Brook can be part of the defensive scheme next year, so I have my doubts about the team moving on from him. Also possible that he’d say that about anyone, if asked. Not sure how much to put into his response.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#385 » by Ruben Quevedo » Fri May 3, 2024 2:24 pm

Everyone on the block except Giannis imo:

- Dame can still go on scoring binges but the offense felt clunky all season. Does he make the other guys better? Does he actually fit as well with Giannis as it seemed he would on paper? Given all that, plus his age and contract, I think you have to listen to offers.

- Middleton is a sell high for me if there are strong offers

- Brook is still very useful in certain matchups, but if keeping him means you can't acquire an athletic 4/5 to play with Giannis then he can go

- Bobby - A turnstile on defense and yet another player who needs the ball too much on offense to contribute. I wanted him to be a Buck for life but I don't know anymore

- Beasley - no interest in re-signing him. Brainless player who can't be counted on in the playoffs

- Pat - always plays hard but it's time to move on

Play AJ and AJJ a lot more. Get more athletic. Get more guys who don't need the ball to be contributors.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,177

Post#386 » by midranger » Fri May 3, 2024 2:41 pm

I suggested a Pat Con for Jonathon Isaac trade at the deadline.

Watching Gary Harris do literally nothing for 4 of 5 games and our bigs get shredded defensively, I think it would’ve been a great trade for both teams.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,075

Post#387 » by German Athens » Fri May 3, 2024 2:43 pm

midranger wrote:I suggested a Pat Con for Jonathon Isaac trade at the deadline.

Watching Gary Harris do literally nothing for 4 of 5 games and our bigs get shredded defensively, I think it would’ve been a great trade for both teams.

Notably, Isaac is making almost twice as much as pat, so we would have needed to likely trade Bobby along with pat to get that done.
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 395

Post#388 » by JBucks » Fri May 3, 2024 2:47 pm

I can't watch another season of passes into the post to Portis and him facing up for long 2s. Get that clown off the team. Pat needs to retire and go into real estate full time.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#389 » by Ryan5UW » Fri May 3, 2024 2:50 pm

AntetokounmBros wrote:
WeMajor34 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:How about "nothing can be gleaned from a series with your two best players out/hobbled" and leave it at that? Did Game 5 really swing so many emotional pendulums and trick people into thinking we were gonna win two straight with no Giannis and Dame basically on crutches?

Only thing anyone should be sure of at this point is that you finally need to move on from the Brook/Bobby front court. Whether it's one of or both guys, you can't have $30+ mil invested in personnel that is incredibly matchup dependent and play the same position as your superstar.

Totally agree here. I think Brook is more valuable to a startup-young team like Orlando or Houston than he is to us right now.

Same goes with Bobby. A middling team could use and probably start him.

Getting bigs who can slide their feet on defense and not be so ground-bound will hopefully be a focus this summer. I love Bobby and Brook but I think their time in Milwaukee may be up.

Doc sounded confident in his interview that Brook can be part of the defensive scheme next year, so I have my doubts about the team moving on from him. Also possible that he’d say that about anyone, if asked. Not sure how much to put into his response.

I wouldn't put too much into that. Do you expect him to say "no, he's slow, aging and overpaid, we need to get rid of him"?
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,177

Post#390 » by midranger » Fri May 3, 2024 2:58 pm

German Athens wrote:
midranger wrote:I suggested a Pat Con for Jonathon Isaac trade at the deadline.

Notably, Isaac is making almost twice as much as pat, so we would have needed to likely trade Bobby along with pat to get that done.

Yeah, I had a bigger 3 way thing going, but that was the base of the Orl/Mke swap

Edit: IIRC im pretty sure it was something along the line of…
Mke: Eason, Tate, Isaac
ORL: Conny, Jeff green
Hou: Lopez, Marjon
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,089

Post#391 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 3, 2024 3:16 pm

Finding a way to turn Brook + one of Pat or Bobby into Cam Johnson and Dorian Finney-Smith would be my #1 realistic offseason goal. Have a sit-down with Giannis this offseason and tell him he's gonna need to follow in the footsteps of KG and Duncan if we wanna maximize this roster with the current cap limitations. Just sign a 10-15 minute athletic rim-runner type Center for the minutes that he sits.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,758

Post#392 » by chonestown » Fri May 3, 2024 3:25 pm

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,093

Post#393 » by Siefer » Fri May 3, 2024 3:28 pm

We got felled by injuries. No Giannis, Middleton on a bad ankle, and Dame missing multiple games, and being severely limited in two others (I think we win game 3 if he doesn't aggravate the achilles in the 4th). Old roster, plus some bad luck, but I think the team mismanaged the end of the season in an attempt to keep a high seed. Unlike the previous 2 seasons where the injuries were bad luck, and a dirty play in the postseason itself, the Bucks set themselves up for this situation.

Doc did a great job getting everyone back on the same page, and implementing functional defense, transition, and rebounding plans. I think he overcorrected on offense and slowed us down way too much though, at least for the regular season. We were a disorganized mess on offense, but the one smart thing Griffin did was have us run and get into our offense as fast as possible. It let our three stars take advantage of mismatches and a scrambling defense, and was a big reason we had a top 3 offense for the first part of the year. We stopped throwing it ahead, stopped running, and went very iso/two-man heavy under Doc, and I think we lost regular season games because of it. I think it also magnified Dame's discomfort. Maybe we don't push Giannis and Dame through injuries at the end of the year if we have 3-4 more wins banked.

Roster thoughts:

- Dame still has it, although I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another monster regular season from him.

- Roughly the same thing for Midds, though I'm worried the wheels are going to fall off sooner than later (and I love the man).

- Beasley is just a negative player, and exactly the kind of guy Doc will play for way too long. Disastrous signing in the end.

- Guys like Gallo, Crowder, and PatC are washed. We would have been significantly better off taking our lumps with the young guys, since we were going to lose those minutes anyway.

- Our best lineup has had Midds at the 4 and Giannis at the 5 for a few years now, but I don't think you can make that the regular season default. We still need functional rotation bigs, but that leads to the next couple of thoughts...

- Bobby is a great bench big with clear strengths and weaknesses, but I'm looking for pieces that fit better this offseason.

- I love Brook, but he's a match-up specific guy on D who's regressing on offense. If you can get a young guy and filler from a team like OKC, you have to do it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,078

Post#394 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 3, 2024 3:33 pm

I haven't seen Horst's name in the latest round of Detroit rumors so it's pretty obvious his agent floated his name out there.

If he is going to be replaced I would imagine it would be done soon. Draft prep is underway and takes place next month.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,936

Post#395 » by buckboy » Fri May 3, 2024 3:59 pm

I'll be disappointed if Lopez and Portis are back. Need to get way more athletic at those spots.

I'm fairly tired of Portis' act. Move him for value while you can.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#396 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:18 pm

Primary items on the to do list:

1. SG next to Dame. This is BY FAR #1. It has to be a guy who can guard the other teams top perimeter option and also a guy that can take ball handling duties away from Dame when needed. I don't know how we acquire this player. Maybe AJJ develops into it. Maybe we get lucky AF at pick 23. Has to be done.

2. Upgrade the Beasley/PC/Jae minutes. These three averaged 63 mpg over the course of 82 games. Very little production, very little defense, very little athleticism. I wish we still had Pat from 2-3 years ago but now that his athleticism has dipped, he's become far worse. Jae is beyond done and Beasley is a terrible fit. I like AJ Green, but not as a starter, probably as a back end of the rotation (8th man). I do have high hopes for AJJ with another offseason of development.

3. Spend the entire offseason on the Dame/GA integration. This to me is two-fold - Giannis has to take a backseat to Dame as the primary ball handler and fully embrace/work on being a hard pick setter, roll man, and also post player. Obviously, we still want him handling the ball in transition situations, but we can't have him ball dominating in the halfcourt and going full bore trying to drive the ball every possession. Not only does that negate the Dame/GA pairing, but it also greatly increases the wear and tear on Giannis' body. I just really hope they talk to him about this. We also play better in small ball lineups with him at center anyway.

I don't think we need to break up GA/Dame/Midds. I expect Dame to work hard this offseason and look better next year despite being a year older. I am fine moving on from one of Portis/Brook, we just need to make sure we do have another big option in mind for matchups that we need someone like that.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,610

Post#397 » by PG Graveyard » Fri May 3, 2024 4:27 pm

Lol isn’t Pina a **** Philly guy too. Amazing hypocrisy
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#398 » by jute2003 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:30 pm

2/3s of bobby, brook, khris have to go away this offseason.
only a fan, only an opinion
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#399 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:33 pm

Midds was 20/6/7 on .595 TS per 36 this year. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him without question, but I doubt we get better value back than what we get from him. I understand the injury annoyance with him, but he's still a great #3 option. He just balled out in the playoffs as well - 24.7/9.2/4.7 (.482/.355/.900).
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,634

Post#400 » by raferfenix » Fri May 3, 2024 4:40 pm

Brook's contract could be very attractive to certain teams.

They use him to win now next season, retain his bird rights, and then either drop a huge amount of cap letting him walk or just a lot of cap when extending him at a smaller number.

That also comes into play for how the Bucks value him too.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks