ImageImage

Around The League - Bill Walton passes from cancer at 71

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Re: Around The League 

Post#261 » by DingleJerry » Tue May 7, 2024 3:09 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Hilarious that Minnesota was mocked across the entirety of NBA media and fan forums alike after it didn't immediately click post Gobert trade. Some "I was wrong's" are definitely in order. Not as funny, however, is the player Donte DiVincenzo has turned into. The lone knock on his game here in Milwaukee was his inconsistent shot (even though he was a good shooter at every other level). The rest of his skill set always screamed winner. Godda*mn shame we didn't wait that one out.

Yea that popped in my head last night when I saw the score, remember them being mocked just a couple weeks ago on here too. Who knows, they could still blow this series but what's happening now is something folks should remember in discussions of being good teams even if they don't win the Ringzz. Getting this deep, final fours, etc are all still good results, entertain the fans, and gives you a real chance even if you come up short since only one team can ringz.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,064

Post#262 » by BUCKnation » Tue May 7, 2024 3:26 pm

Ant was so good last night at letting things come to him and taking advantage of Jokic's lack of rim protection. There was one play in particular in the first half that forced a timeout where AG was on Ant above the break and Ant just waited for AG to press up on him and as soon as he did, he blew by him and had an easy layup b/c Jokic wasn't close to even contest. I think AG was actually upset at Jokic too.

This type of play happened multiple times though and others were doing similar.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,205

Post#263 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 7, 2024 3:35 pm

Minnesota is just another example of why not to Sam Hinkie yourself and twiddle your thumbs when you have a super-duper star on your hands. I'm hearing a lot of people saying the last two years that it was too soon to go all-in with Ant cuz "something something 26-30 are your prime years" . Kudos to Minnesota's management for believing in their process and not pulling the ripcord on moves that didn't immediately pay dividends.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,194

Post#264 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue May 7, 2024 3:52 pm

I know I'm personally still choosing to "Trust the Process." It'll pay off some day. God the Hinkie slurpfest was obscene around these parts for far too long. Folks acting like he was some genius innovator, and wanted the Bucks to follow suit. But, again, a lot of NBA fans prefer the drama of offseason musical chairs than actual on-court success. Is what it is.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,409

Post#265 » by paulpressey25 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:31 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:I know I'm personally still choosing to "Trust the Process." It'll pay off some day. God the Hinkie slurpfest was obscene around these parts for far too long. Folks acting like he was some genius innovator, and wanted the Bucks to follow suit. But, again, a lot of NBA fans prefer the drama of offseason musical chairs than actual on-court success. Is what it is.

Hold the take for a moment.

Ant - #1 overall pick
KAT - #1 overall pick
Mike Conley, Jr. #4 overall pick

The role players and up and comers are great. But the two superstar guys were #1 overall picks. We can't chalk that up to Tim Connelly GM brilliance.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,027

Post#266 » by emunney » Tue May 7, 2024 4:51 pm

Please try to remember next year how close all these teams are to each other and that whoever is healthy and hot is going to win, not necessarily who has the most talent or the most past success. People acting like the Celtics or Nuggets were ever prohibitive favorites are not paying adequate attention to the way the league really works today. It's not that they're not the best bets on even money, it's that there's not that much separation. There really isn't such a thing as a huge upset anymore.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#267 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 7, 2024 4:56 pm

- D-Lo for Mike Conley + NAW
- Kyle Anderson for the MLE (2-yrs $16 mil)
- Naz Reid (undrafted, got him on a 2-way contract)
- Jaden McDaniels (28th pick in the draft)

Again, these are the kinds of moves that apparently some people think are impossible without trading Middleton or Dame. That's 4 rotation guys and starters that required nothing more than a late-1st and jettisoning a damaged goods player putting up empty calorie stats. GM smarter, not harder.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,027

Post#268 » by emunney » Tue May 7, 2024 5:02 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:- D-Lo for Mike Conley + NAW

Again, these are the kinds of moves that apparently some people think are impossible without trading Middleton or Dame. That's 4 rotation guys and starters that required nothing more than a late-1st and jettisoning a damaged goods player putting up empty calorie stats. GM smarter, not harder.

That's not all Connelly, though, is it? I think McDaniels and Reid were both Rosas.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,224

Post#269 » by theFireBlanket » Tue May 7, 2024 5:03 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:I know I'm personally still choosing to "Trust the Process." It'll pay off some day. God the Hinkie slurpfest was obscene around these parts for far too long. Folks acting like he was some genius innovator, and wanted the Bucks to follow suit. But, again, a lot of NBA fans prefer the drama of offseason musical chairs than actual on-court success. Is what it is.

Hold the take for a moment.

Ant - #1 overall pick
KAT - #1 overall pick
Mike Conley, Jr. #4 overall pick

The role players and up and comers are great. But the two superstar guys were #1 overall picks. We can't chalk that up to Tim Connelly GM brilliance.

Oh, you definitely can.

Brings in Finch, who pulls these players together & has them playing the right way.

Brought in Pat Bev, who told everyone that Ant could be the next Jordan & mentored him toward not partyingm just being in the gym.

Did he not trade for Mike Conley?

McDaniels. Naz Reid. Gobert trade, Rudy has those guys playing D... He rubbed off on them.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#270 » by MickeyDavis » Tue May 7, 2024 5:03 pm

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,409

Post#271 » by paulpressey25 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:22 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:Oh, you definitely can.

Yes, Connelly did a great job based on results so far. My comment though related to the fact Ant an KAT are #1 overall picks. Those are the type of guys you generally only get by tanking.

*Yes, historical disclaimer, I know where Jokic and Giannis were drafted.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,160

Post#272 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue May 7, 2024 5:30 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275628/Christian-Wood-Picks-Up-$3M-Player-Option-For-24-25-With-Lakers
The 2021 Realgm Bucks Board would be losing their collective mind for missing out on Wood at $3m
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#273 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 7, 2024 5:43 pm

emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:- D-Lo for Mike Conley + NAW

That's not all Connelly, though, is it? I think McDaniels and Reid were both Rosas.

No, not all Connelly. But he made the two biggest moves there that matter. And to be fair to Horst, he did exactly that in the 2018 offseason that helped transformed us from a 40-win low playoff seed to 60-win contender. Brook and Pat off the free agent scrap heap, drafted Donte in the mid-late 1st, and then during the season, turned Delly/Henson into George Hill. That's 4 starters and high end rotation guys with very little asset investment.

He needs to get creative this offseason, not just put everything on the table for an Alex Caruso, then call it a day. His issue (outside of the Dame trade) these last 3-years is that he's been incredibly risk averse with these on the margins type moves. Jingles, Ibaka, Crowder, etc.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,033

Post#274 » by Prez » Tue May 7, 2024 5:52 pm

Much of the criticism of the Timberwolves wasn’t that they were going win-now around Ant, but specifically the Gobert trade. At least for me it was.

And quite frankly after seeing them utterly dismantle the Nuggets in Denver without Gobert, I still think it’s a fair question to ask A) how they’d look today and B) how well they’d be set up in the future if they had Vanderbilt, Walker Kessler, and 4 unprotected 1sts to work with in building around Ant/McDaniels/KAT/Reid/NAW. Now obviously if they win the title this season it’s a pointless discussion, but as of now I still think it’s worth thinking about.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#275 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 7, 2024 6:02 pm

Rudy's gonna win his 4th DPOTY in a landslide though, and they're currently playing at a +22 net-rating with him on the floor in the playoffs. I think it's crazy to suggest they have any sort of buyer's remorse at this point, even if you could make the argument he's the greatest "luxury" player in the league.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,033

Post#276 » by Prez » Tue May 7, 2024 6:16 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Rudy's gonna win his 4th DPOTY in a landslide though, and they're currently playing at a +22 net-rating with him on the floor in the playoffs. I think it's crazy to suggest they have any sort of buyer's remorse at this point, even if you could make the argument he's the greatest "luxury" player in the league.

Didn’t say they should have buyers remorse. More so just asking the question of what else they could’ve done with the massive trade package they gave up for Gobert and comparing it against what they have now. Both current state and future state as Edwards enter his prime over the next 3-4 years. I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that their younger core of Edwards/McDaniels/KAT/Reid/NAW is super talented even outside of Gobert, I don’t think it’s crazy to at least wonder what other directions they could’ve gone in, whether it’s another dynamic guard to pair with Edwards, couple more high level switchable wings (like OG), etc.

Again though, if they win the title, none of it matters.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,049

Post#277 » by Plossum » Tue May 7, 2024 10:11 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Minnesota is just another example of why not to Sam Hinkie yourself and twiddle your thumbs when you have a super-duper star on your hands. I'm hearing a lot of people saying the last two years that it was too soon to go all-in with Ant cuz "something something 26-30 are your prime years" . Kudos to Minnesota's management for believing in their process and not pulling the ripcord on moves that didn't immediately pay dividends.

If only there were a lesson the Bucks could take from this…
#LockUpChuck
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,366

Post#278 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue May 7, 2024 11:00 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275628/Christian-Wood-Picks-Up-$3M-Player-Option-For-24-25-With-Lakers
The 2021 Realgm Bucks Board would be losing their collective mind for missing out on Wood at $3m

You must have missed the 2023 offseason!
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,823

Post#279 » by AussieBuck » Tue May 7, 2024 11:09 pm

Man a series against the Wolves would have been great. Brook would get to play 30 minutes a game no problem.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,809

Post#280 » by MikeIsGood » Tue May 7, 2024 11:27 pm

I think about this every time I see the Melo/Ford/Perk commercial.

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks