ImageImage

Maybe we need a good 'ol fashioned fight?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Maybe we need a good 'ol fashioned fight? 

Post#1 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:09 am

Practice fight makes a perfect 12
Edgy Blazers get physical in a drill, then decide to take out their frustrations on opponents
Sunday, December 30, 2007JASON QUICK The Oregonian Staff
The history books will show that the Trail Blazers' winning streak started on Dec. 3, when Travis Outlaw made a last-second shot at Memphis.

But to the Blazers players and coaches, the roots of the streak really started two days earlier, at a community center in San Antonio, where an edgy and downtrodden Blazers team practiced.

It was where Martell Webster and Joel Przybilla fought. Where Steve Blake kicked and then threw a chair. Where Brandon Roy exchanged sharp words with teammates. And where Channing Frye spoke up and made a promise.

"I felt like everything changed that day," Roy said before the Blazers ran their winning streak to 12 with a win over Minnesota on Friday night. "I can't say that I felt it was going to result in this many wins in a row, but it was a big moment. We've been better ever since then."

Coach Nate McMillan knew that Dec. 1 practice had a chance to be memorable. Tired of seeing his team play with a stagnant offense and a soft defense, McMillan implemented two practice rules that day. There would be no switching when screens were set, forcing the defender to fight through picks. And there would only be one dribble allowed by the ballhandler, a tactic designed to instigate more movement by the offense to get open.

"The practice was basically set up for a fight to happen," McMillan said. "We were talking about pressuring. We were talking about being physical. We were talking about grabbing. And . . . we got into a fight, a couple tempers flared and a couple of other things happened."

The Blazers played the next day and were drilled 100-79 at San Antonio, their ninth loss in 10 games, dropping them to 5-12. But in the course of the defeat, the Blazers were more physical -- unintentionally knocking Tim Duncan out of the game with an injury -- and by the time they arrived in Memphis later that night, many believed things were changing.

"We lost to the Spurs but we were physical and we played them; they just beat us," Frye said. "But I remember thinking after that game, 'We have a chance.' I told some people, 'Let's just keep playing this way.' "

When Dec. 1 arrived, the Blazers were an irritable group. They had lost in Dallas the previous night, which came after back-to-back home losses to Orlando and Indiana, during which nothing seemed to be working. Roy was in a terrible shooting slump, the defense was being pushed around, and even easy attempts such as dunks were being missed by the likes of Przybilla.
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/orego ... xml&coll=7
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Re: Maybe we need a good 'ol fashioned fight? 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:18 am

Mags FTW wrote:Where Steve Blake kicked and then threw a chair.

:lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#3 » by DH34Phan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:19 am

Where Steve Blake kicked and then threw a chair.

LOL. BADASS.
ReddManBogieMan
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by ReddManBogieMan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:22 am

Sounds like a good idea to me. Krystowiak would probably be crazy enough to give it a try. At least Bobby Simmons and Charlie Bell might wake each other up from their respective slumps. Mo and Bogut would argue how the offense ought to be run. And Yi would pimp slap Charlie V. The Results couldn't by worse than what we got in Detriot and Denver.
Andrew Bogut needs to go back to being as Yi referred to him as "The Angry Beaver". I love it when Bogut plays pissed off, it rubs off on everyone else.

BTW, nice find the Steve Blake part made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Better than all this gloom and doom that all you see on this board.
tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Post#5 » by tyland » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:29 am

With Storee on our team it could end badly. Last thing we need is one of our productive player being decapitated.

In Portland, it's obvious from the article how much the players cared about winning and playing to a certain level. Besides Bogut's recent comments, there is little coming out of the Bucks camp to suggest that these feelings are prominent in the training sessions. The majority of players are failing to show any sort of emotion even after the recent humiliating losses. Without this passion and anger, I can't see a fight brewing. Only players that care about the team they are representing, the fans and becoming respectable in this league would let their emotions get the best of them and start a fight because of it.

I think it could help though, if it did happen, but I doubt anything of the sort will.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#6 » by jerrod » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:55 am

i have my doubts that it would stop before an actual fight happened

that'd be interesting, we could have a pay per view event

Return to Milwaukee Bucks