ImageImage

Trade Rumor?? Redd, CV, 1st for TMac+Bonzi

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,294

Trade Rumor?? Redd, CV, 1st for TMac+Bonzi 

Post#1 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:22 pm

This is supposed to be a rumor from Peter Vescey. I have yet to even find where this is, but Sparky is talking about it right now on WSSP.

I guess first Vescey mentioned that the Bucks are shopping Michael Redd, and one of the deals offerred to us was Ron Artest for Michael Redd. That of course doesn't work salary wise as a a one for one and would require other parts, plus that is just absurd :lol:
Also, Artest now just had surgery yesterday and will be out for 3-4 weeks.

Anyway, the other deal on the table supposedly is Redd, Villanueva, and a 1st round pick to Houston for Tracy McGrady and Bonzi Wells.

This is the last year of Wells contract, incidentally, with an 07-08 salary of $2.2842 mil

I have heard nothing at all about this and I happened to be actually working the phones a bit late last night talking to some NBA people. That doesn't mean it doesn't have any legs of course, but this IS Peter Vescey (something Sparky is making sure to state as a qualifier as well).
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#2 » by showtimesam » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:26 pm

So was the tone of his article that the rockets have this on the table and are considering it, or that the bucks have it on the table and are debating on whether or not to do it?

I for one would be ecstatic if this trade was on the table. When healthy Mcgrady is a top talent and while he can be a ball hog, he has better natual vision and skills than redd.

Mo/Bell
Wells/Mason
Mcgrady/Simmons
Yi/Ruffin/Simmons
Bogut/Gadz

Man I'd love that!
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#3 » by europa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:27 pm

The qualifier about Vescey is important. He is the king of BS. I'm not keen on dealing the pick, but I don't know how the Bucks could turn that deal down if it's on the table. McGrady would be a major, major addition obviously. I hate parting with a potential lottery pick but I doubt the Rockets would make the deal without it. McGrady's deal ends before Redd's so while the Bucks are paying more for their top player, they're getting a superior talent and one with a shorter contract. I'd rather have Wells than Villanueva without question.

The kicker is that first-round pick - especially if the Bucks land in the lottery again. But a starting lineup of:

PG: Mo
SG: Wells
SF: McGrady
PF: Yi
C: Bogut

has a lot of potential.
Nothing will not break me.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#4 » by WRau1 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:28 pm

This deal is terrible. I'd rather have Artest then Fat Wells and Tracy McInjured. Also, TMac would make a huge fuss about coming here.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#5 » by Newz » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:30 pm

Listen... TMac is one of my favorite players in the NBA and he is CLEARLY a much, much better player than Redd.

I don't do this deal though, especially with the first thrown in. T-Mac is an amazing player when healthy, but he just will never be healthy for a long stretch of time.... And even with a healthy T-Mac I doubt this team can make it to the playoffs regardless with all of the crap (Simmons, Bell, Mason, Gadzuric) still on the team.

I honestly wouldn't even do Redd for T-Mac straight up anymore, because T-Mac is just never healthy... Ever. He is a great player, he can be a superstar and is (like I said) clearly a better player than Michael Redd... But he is just way, way too injury prone.

Not to mention this takes away our draft pick from next season, which we desperately need to add depth to this team and hopefully get a starting callibur SF rather than the 15 million dollars worth of junk.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#6 » by IrishRainbow » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:30 pm

I've always loved Tmac's game, when he's healthy...that said I just don't know if his back injuries warrant us having to send a 1st back there way, maybe top 10 protected....maybe.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#7 » by WRau1 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:34 pm

Yeah, this deal is terrible. We give up Redd without including any of our crap contracts AND we have to give up our other 2 best bargaining pieces along with Redd for a deal that doesn't make us any better? No thanks.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#8 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:34 pm

Vecsey rumors are no more founded than eagle trade ideas, but let's discuss it anyways. Always nice to have something to debate!

I'm certainly ok with Redd/CV for TMac, but I sure don't know about giving away what very well might be a lotto pick. If we're giving up draft picks, it means we aren't rebuilding, but are trying to win right now. I don't think we can win right now with Yi/Bogut in the playoffs.

I don't hate the move - it would certainly be a welcome one in terms of me getting more enjoyment out of watching the games this year. But I don't think it indicates a clear plan towards really winning either.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#9 » by jerrod » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:36 pm

seems like a little too much to give away considering mcgady's injury problems
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#10 » by europa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:36 pm

The only reservation I have with regard to the first-round pick isn't McGrady but the fact Wells could leave after this season. So I'm not keen on trading a first for cap space. I'd deal Redd/Villanueva for McGrady without hesitation - even taking into consideration McGrady's durability questions and playoff failures. But it's the first for an expiring Wells which gives me some reason for pause.

But ultimately, I make this trade if I'm the Bucks. I think bringing in McGrady and Wells not only is a significant upgrade in terms of talent but McGrady should create some badly needed buzz for this team.
Nothing will not break me.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Re: Trade Rumor?? Redd, CV, 1st for TMac+Bonzi 

Post#11 » by InsideOut » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:39 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
I have heard nothing at all about this and I happened to be actually working the phones a bit late last night talking to some NBA people. That doesn't mean it doesn't have any legs of course, but this IS Peter Vescey (something Sparky is making sure to state as a qualifier as well).

While working the phones do you hear what Redd is worth in the real world. Some here want him gone while others feel he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Do you have a feel what he could bring us in a hypothetical trade? What is a best case scenario in your mind.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#12 » by showtimesam » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:39 pm

Yeah giving up a first is a concern, but if that could protect any pick in the top 5 or 10, the risk is worth it.

Plus the season is still young and mcgrady and wells could give this team a big lift and push back towards .500 ball.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#13 » by Newz » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:42 pm

europa wrote:The only reservation I have with regard to the first-round pick isn't McGrady but the fact Wells could leave after this season. So I'm not keen on trading a first for cap space. I'd deal Redd/Villanueva for McGrady without hesitation - even taking into consideration McGrady's durability questions and playoff failures. But it's the first for an expiring Wells which gives me some reason for pause.

But ultimately, I make this trade if I'm the Bucks. I think bringing in McGrady and Wells not only is a significant upgrade in terms of talent but McGrady should create some badly needed buzz for this team.

That's the best aspect of this trade... The fact that it generates buzz and would draw a ton more fans to the arena... Which is very important.

But the crowds and the buzz will go back down once TMac gets hurt (Which will happen, because it always does) and when the Bucks continue to lose (Which will happen because we are still wasting 26 million on awful talent).

T-Mac is a huge upgrade over Redd... Until he gets hurt, or until he starts to complain about being in Milwaukee, or until he starts to complain about losing... I honestly don't think we are a playoff team with T-Mac and Wells anyways.... Especially not this year when we are already in a big hole to start with.

Also, will T-Mac listen to or be happy with a no name coach like Larry K? I highly doubt it.
75totheMACCfund
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#14 » by 75totheMACCfund » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:42 pm

75totheMACCfund wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Redd + Simmons + CV

for Battier and T Mac

works in the trade checker, but it is quite a pipe dream for any bucks fan.

75totheMACCfund wrote:Redd + Simmons + CV + top 3 protected 2008 1st

T Mac + Scola

Edit: T Mac is never healthy, but I'd rather the chance of him playing 60 games in a Bucks Uni than Redd playing all 82. That's just me though, and I don't think this trade or especially the one listed above would happen.

i posted both these last night in the LH don't make a trade thread...I would like to move either Gadz or Simmons contract in a deal. Both worked in trade checker, as I said in the Edit, i don't think Houston would give up battier as well. But we gotta find a way to get Novak back in any deal
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#15 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:42 pm

Replace the 1st rounder with two 2nd roudners.
BrewersGM
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#16 » by BrewersGM » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:43 pm

I like the trade to minus the pick. If we are to trade Redd along with CV there should be a little more involved coming our way. We could trade Redd strait up for most other players with the exception of the untouchables in this league. If CV goes with a pick we should be getting more back than washed up Wells. Otherwise it sounds good...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,388

Post#17 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:44 pm

This is great.....I love it.....I'd do the Houston deal for the buzz.

But I also find it interesting the Kings are mentioned....not sure how Redd really helps them since they have Martin. Additionally, Vescey last night on NBA TV was talking about how my guy Francisco Garcia is breaking out and could be good trade bait to get the Kings a big-man. I can't see Redd fitting out in Sacramento.

The Houston rumor though could be more legit since both teams are struggling. What is really interesting is that if accurate, the Bucks are talking about trading Redd. Didn't think that would happen.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BlueJeep
Junior
And1: 0

Post#18 » by BlueJeep » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:45 pm

i dont think this trade has legs, sparky sounds like it not even really true, just a guess,

second off, im not givin redd up without giving up a bad contract, ie: gadz, simmons
Im ruff around the edges like a thug with elegance
The world needs to get up off my nuts cuz everybody actin like some elephants

Buck the World

I have a Ruben Patterson sized man crush on Brandon Jennings
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:46 pm

[quote=BrewersGM"]We could trade Redd strait up for most other players with the exception of the untouchables in this league.[/quote]No we could not. Unless you think there are 40 or 50 untouchables in the league.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,388

Post#20 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:47 pm

BrewersGM wrote: If CV goes with a pick we should be getting more back than washed up Wells. ...

Bonzi is a problem and a head case....but check out his recent box scores. When the guy feels like playing, he's a top tier SF. The problem is that he's playing on a bargain contract, and looking for a big score I'm sure. That's why I agree with those hesitant on the future first...but if the thing is top-10 protected, I'm fine with it.

This is a win-now trade as McGrady is 28 with a ton of miles on him and Bonzi is 31.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks