ImageImage

WSSP 1250 Pro Hoops Show 6pm

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#61 » by Epicurus » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:07 am

The easiest way to understand why Bogut doesn't get the ball as much (whatever that means) is to compare pictures of Walton setting up for reception with those of Bogut doing the same thing. I remember one game last year bursting out to applaud Bogut for looking like Walton demanding and setting up for the ball. One time over so many watched games is not a very good percentage (understatement).

Now for those already typing that Walton is an HOFer and it is unfair to compare Bogut with him, remember I am now only wanting Bogut to set up low as Walton did, not even to perform as well upon reception of the ball.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#62 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:10 am

I agree 100%. But if Bogut is more comfortable getting the ball in motion and cuts to the basket after someone sets a screen for him, why don
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#63 » by blkout » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:16 am

I agree 100%. But if Bogut is more comfortable getting the ball in motion and cuts to the basket after someone sets a screen for him, why don
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#64 » by El Duderino » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:21 am

If Bogut made 70% of his free throws and had anything at all resembling a midrange jumper and/or a post up jumper like most bigs that score do, Andrew would easily be a 16-17 ppg scorer and maybe even higher than that.

It's on him if Bogut ever wants to be a go to big man. The vast majority of bigs who score a lot have all managed to develop at least a somewhat decent midrange jumper and/or a post up jumper that goes along with scoring a few feet in.

I figured when we drafted Bogut that both forms up jumpers would be a regular part of his skill set by now, mixed with his hooks in the paint. I never would have imagined that almost three years in that Andrew would have no more of a post up or midrange jumper than Gadzuric has or shoot free throws like Dan.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,172

Post#65 » by midranger » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:52 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:The best pass first point guards in the league get Bogut two or three more easy dunks per game.

Please reconsider your animal consumption.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#66 » by paul » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:58 am

This is starting to sound a lot like many many previous threads.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#67 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:23 am

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

(picture)

Whatever. That wasn
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#68 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:45 am

paulpressey25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is the interview up on their website? Listen to the beginning and Sparky starts talking right after Eastsides question about whether the guards trust Bogut or have faith in him to perform hence why Bogut doesn't get the ball later in the game as things tighten up.

About 8 minutes later they are still going on about Bogut and then James used some line about how the Bogut's got to earn that trust of the guys on the court with him.

The whole concept of the whether or not the guards have faith in Bogut was weaved in and out of that conversation.....ask Sparky about it. He was the one I think who started the point.

They did indeed talk about the "trust" issue.
Diesel and xTitan missed those parts I guess.

I didn't get the impression that James was blaming all of that on Bogut though. He talked about it in kind of a "two way street" manner.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,291

Post#69 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:37 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:-=He said that the guys who really want the ball at the end of games (Mo and Redd) end up getting the shots most of the time and Andrew has to really want it earn his teammates trust to give him the ball late in games. .

That was my point. I heard James imply right there that Andrew doesn't have the trust of the guards and has to "earn it". That would imply that the guards don't necessarily trust Andrew, but I didn't hear James blame the guards. He put it on Andrew. That whole 60 second segment on the "repost" question to me was somewhat newsworthy in that James put it on Bogut for not getting repost passes.

I agree he wasn't blasting Bogut in any respect, but he also didn't give the usual answer of "well, we are working on more "repost" plays in practice" He flat out said Andrew doesn't do an aggressive enough job of demanding the ball and getting himself in position for the repost and his teammates don't have enough trust then to toss it back to him.

As a further follow up, I thought in that discussion James also said that Andrew "wants to get passes while moving or cutting to the basket" rather than just being fed down on the blocks and being asked to do something with the ball.

That was huge to me also, because that goes to the point Epi's been making that Bogut on the blocks, just isn't coordinated enough to make post up moves where he has to think and his FG% in such situation is limited. Now we've got a coach saying that Andrew might prefer not to have so much of that type of play either. Of course that is the type of play everyone on here, including me, has been calling for the last two years. Instead James implies Bogut would prefer this:

"Hey....feed me easy dunk passes while I'm cutting like Toni Kukoc did two years ago for Gadz.....this going one on one against Ben Wallace isn't much fun!"

Ok...I took major artistic license with that last line, but Bogut's got learn if he wants to be a big-time player, he's got to figure out how to create for himself.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 422

Post#70 » by smauss » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:04 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Great comments by Brian James about Bogut.. he's right on point. I think most of us have seen many elements of that throughout his time with the Bucks. He has improved in some areas (specifically defensively) but offensively he just isn't there yet. Perhaps he will one day get there, but his failure to consistently produce on the offensive end is a big problem for this team. We need to know that if the jumpers aren't falling for the guards.. our center to not only get but MAKE his shot and throws if the ball is delievered to him. Too often not only does Bogut fail to hit his shots but his free throw shooting is becoming quite an adventure.

I will say this about him offensively though.. before the season, he looked really good shooting those 15 footers at the open scrimmage, he just hasn't been able to translate that to real time games though.

He will probably "get there" with his next team........
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks