ImageImage

OT: Wii

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,022

OT: Wii 

Post#1 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:35 pm

I was at my brother in laws last night and played Wii for the first time, man that thing is fun. I think I might get one, anyone else have one? Is it fun for the first few times then the novelty wears off, or is it worth getting?
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 422

Re: OT: Wii 

Post#2 » by smauss » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:48 pm

AgainstMe! wrote:I was at my brother in laws last night and played Wii for the first time, man that thing is fun. I think I might get one, anyone else have one? Is it fun for the first few times then the novelty wears off, or is it worth getting?

My 12 year old son wants one. He is saving up for it. He has a game cube now and he wants to be able to use his game cube games, rather than going to a different system. I know nothing about gaming systems. I spent 12 years as a senior systems analyst but really dislike video games.........

I would love to hear what folks think as well, or any tips for my son.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
YI9
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by YI9 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm trying to get one for the family. All the things I hear are very good.

Another cool feature is that you can also download (for a fee) some of the old original Nintendo games as well Sega, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo. I think that's cool.

Nothing like Contra, Street Fighter, Double Dribble.

They are so hard to find, they are sold out everywhere. And I'm not overpaying for one on Ebay.
yoyomayoma
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

I have one 

Post#4 » by yoyomayoma » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:13 pm

I've had mine for about 3 months now. It's great. The "novelty" doesn't wear off. Wii Sports is by far the best game(s). The big plus for my family is that it's fairly easy to pick up for my 6 year old but also fun for my 11 year and my wife and I. We also have Wii Play which is a bunch of mini games. Nothing special but still fun. Tiger Woods golf is great. Rayman raging rabbits is very fun as well.

I think the Wii is still in it's infant stages and the game play will only get better as game designers get used to it. Highly recommend it to everyone. If you have any specific questions about the play or features, let me know. I have connected it to my wireless connection but haven't purchased/downloaded any classic games for it yet.
Dags
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by Dags » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:30 pm

I've had a Wii for a year now. It's always been fun, but a fair proportion of the games have been the 'here's 200 mini games' deals, which bug me. But fortunately they're now coming out with a lot more really good games so now it's really worth buying.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#6 » by InsideOut » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:40 pm

I love it. It's not just mindless button mashing. I sweat during tennis and my arms ache after boxing. Golf is my favorite and Tiger Woods golf is even better. My 4 year old loves the bowling and he loves to take on his grandma (she also loves it). Buy it...you'll love it. Did I say "love it" enough?
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#7 » by BobbyLight » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:42 pm

I have a Wii. It's fun and finally has some great games (Metroid, Mario, Guitar Hero, Batillion Wars, Super Paper Mario, soon No More Heroes and Super Smash Brothers). But I will say, IMO, the novlety did wear off of Wii Sports. I've had my Wii since Feb 07 and I bet I didn't play it for 6mths until Metroid came out.

I am sure there are people who can have fun with this thing forever. I, personally, am regetting not getting a 360. There isn't a good basketball game for the Wii, the online functionality is limited, the good games are few and far between, there is about 1,000 crappy games that come out a month, and there is no hard drive which is starting to look like a problem for DLC for a game like Guitar Hero and it will look worse when Rock Band comes out.

The 360 may not have goofy controls, but it has games. Games galore. If you are a hardcore gamer (which I consider my self) by a 360 first. If you already have a 360, the Wii is a nice addition. But having the Wii as your only system may get old, very fast.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#8 » by showtimesam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:46 pm

I've had a 360 for a couple years now and got the Wii for christmas. So far it is pretty sweet, I could see how the wii sports novelty could wear off, although its a fun party game with friends. The other game I have is mario galaxy and it is AWESOME.

Definitely a system worth getting
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,022

Post#9 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:57 pm

How impossible is it to get right now?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#10 » by BobbyLight » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:10 pm

AgainstMe! wrote:How impossible is it to get right now?

It's hard, unless you are willing to wake up early on a Sunday.

If you go to Target on a Sunday about an hour and 15 minutes before they open you wait in line and you will get a ticket. There are only 8 tickets. The other two Wiis go to the first two people without the ticket. This is how I got mine. I went to the Target on 124th and Capitol.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#11 » by Balls2TheWalls » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:10 pm

I've had mine since launch.

Don't be fooled by its low price, however, because controllers will end up running you 40 bucks a piece, and nunchucks are 10-15 dollars a piece. Your son will end up wanting 3 of each.

The games are played much differently than any game you might have played in the past, and there is a huge difference between how they were used in early/release games and how they are used in more refined games. The play experience with a game like Metroid or a Mario Galaxy will dwarf that of a game like Monkey Ball that was chalk full of bugs and annoyances.

I would still recommend picking up a Wii. The online play isn't as wide open as X-Box Live, but it is coming along alright. There are great games slated for 2008 (Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, etc), and it would seem that the amount of developers making games for the Wii is growing as they see games with new ideas come out with regularity.

As far as golf, I thought that Super Swing Golf was just a better game than Tiger Woods. The swing control seemed more real to life.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#12 » by step3profit » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:16 pm

I have a wii, and it's a heck of a lot of fun. My favorite part is when people who don't think they are video game players try, they almost always enjoy themselves. A lot of games are so simple, you don't need to be a guy who understands 90 buttons and 30 secret moves to have a good time.

I'd recommend going mostly with games designed for the Wii - i.e., Mario games, Metroid, etc. Some of the translated games (Rampage and the Marvel Superhero game come to mind) aren't as fun because it feels like they kind of 'forced' the whole controller-movement thing (since the game wasn't designed with that in mind, it's kind of annoying to use the controller like that - if you're not sure what I'm referring to, the Wii uses a lot of motion-based commands, where you actually swing the controller, etc, instead of pushing a button).

Metroid is cool, Wii Sports is very cool & a great way to get the family involved (even the guy who posted above about his 12 year old son - you say you don't like video games, but if you give wii sports a try, I bet you enjoy bowling and boxing - you can play for 10 minutes and then move on with your life, its not like some kind of huge investment of time and effort).

It's not as stellar of graphics as the other new systems like the 360 and the ps3 but it is certainly adequate. Nintendo really changed the paradigm with this machine - they are getting people from all walks of life interested in video gaming, and I think that's a good thing. instead of "more more more", they decided to try and go for "more interesting" and "more intuitive" - and it worked.

Good luck finding one except on ebay though! :)
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,713

Post#13 » by ACGB » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:33 pm

I very much dislike the Wii. All of the games I usually enjoy (I.e shooters, sports games) aren't fun at all on Wii. Madden is so bad, at first it's like "oh wow this is cool" and then after 5 minutes you get sick of waving your arms around like an idiot. The Wii is basically a system if you like playing 32 different games involving mario and donkey kong. So basically if you are under the age of 13 and over the age of 30.
BrewersGM
Banned User

Post#14 » by BrewersGM » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:04 pm

they are fun, i got one!
75totheMACCfund
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#15 » by 75totheMACCfund » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:13 pm

i got one for christmas quite unexpectedly from my girlfriend. I'm still debating if i like it or not. The Wii Sports game is great, but there's only so much you demo-like games of tennis, bowling, baseball, golf, and boxing you can play. I've also played Rock Star Ping Pong which was actually cool, Medal of Honor which was fine, and a racing game which was fun using the controller as a steering wheel.

I'd say if you're into more traditional videogames, which i am, i'd stay away from the Wii or at least try and get your hands on one and play it before you buy it on a whim. It definitely does get your whole family involved, can actually get you to work up a sweat, and is incredibly fun being used as a giant drinking game. However, there are just certain games that don't really work with the Wii, like the FIFA 2008 game that i own. It's just awkward.

It's personal preference. I enjoy my Wii a lot, but had i not gotten it for a gift, i doubt i would have bought it.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#16 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:50 pm

I got a Wii for Christmas and absolutely love it.

The best game right now by far is Super Mario Galaxy. It is great for all ages, and got an unbelievable 9.7 out of 10 rating on www.ign.com. I have never seen a rating this high. Get that game.

Next month, Super Smash Brothers Brawl comes out. It is the 3rd game in the Super Smash Brothers series. It is great for kids or for anyone who loves the classic Nintendo/Sega characters. I'd recommend that game as well.
schweig
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by schweig » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:44 pm

We got our Wii a little over a year ago and have gotten a lot of mileage out of it. But we've hardly played it in the last few months, mostly because we got a 360 too and have been playing that. We got the 360 because we were spending more time playing 15-year-old downloaded games on the Wii than the new games for it.

It's worth mentioning it usually takes a year or so for everyone to start to get the most of the system and its games, and it's just about a year old now. 360 had a year head start with this stuff. Nintendo online will never catch up with Xbox Live though. But Wii can still be fun too. I would definitely recommend Resident Evil 4. And Godfather was a lot of fun with the controls, they were great.

I don't even care all that much about graphics but when you can play something that's almost photorealistic, it can be tough sometimes to go back. I do think they could get a lot more out of the Wii graphics than most of the games have done so far.
thakfu
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#18 » by thakfu » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:37 pm

I got one 4 months ago and played the heck out of it at first... Wii Sports is very addictive! But once you start mastering it, it gets kinda old. I just got Mario Galaxy and Zelda for xmas tho, and they gave the system new life for me. Mario is outstanding!!

BTW.... if you're in to baseball at all... do yourself a favor and get MLB Power Pros.... ignore the cartoony graphics and just try it. Best and most realistic baseball game EVER! And the controls are downright simple too for as deep as it is. It's like RBI Baseball except you dont just swing for the fences every pitch. I will warn you tho.... they made the Brewers like the worst team in the game. After tweaking the settings to find the perfect difficulty for my skill level (so that teams mostly play to their level, I win alot with good teams, lose alot with scrubs, etc.) Im off to like a 10-20 start, and a good chunk of those wins came after trading Sheets for some hitting. Their contact hitting is horrid.
showtimesam
Veteran

Post#19 » by showtimesam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:20 pm

I think the Wii is a perfect "2nd" system to accompany a 360 or a Ps3.
If your woman gets sick of watching you play halo, you can play wii sports or mario together.

Also, its another good game if you have some buddies over, drank some brews, watched the bucks lost and then want to take out some aggression with boxing or some of the other wii sports game.

Also, I think if they make a more in depth version of wii sports it would really be fun.

I wouldn't have bought a wii myself, but my g/f bought one for me for xmas so now I'm really liking it as a secondary "fun" system aside from the sports and shooting games I play on the 360.
showtimesam
Veteran

Post#20 » by showtimesam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:21 pm

thakfu wrote:I got one 4 months ago and played the heck out of it at first... Wii Sports is very addictive! But once you start mastering it, it gets kinda old. I just got Mario Galaxy and Zelda for xmas tho, and they gave the system new life for me. Mario is outstanding!!

BTW.... if you're in to baseball at all... do yourself a favor and get MLB Power Pros.... ignore the cartoony graphics and just try it. Best and most realistic baseball game EVER! And the controls are downright simple too for as deep as it is. It's like RBI Baseball except you dont just swing for the fences every pitch. I will warn you tho.... they made the Brewers like the worst team in the game. After tweaking the settings to find the perfect difficulty for my skill level (so that teams mostly play to their level, I win alot with good teams, lose alot with scrubs, etc.) Im off to like a 10-20 start, and a good chunk of those wins came after trading Sheets for some hitting. Their contact hitting is horrid.

That baseball game sounds interesting, does it use the wii remote for swinging and pitching like wii sports?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks