ImageImage

Is Redd the most overpaid and overrated player in the NBA?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BrewersGM
Banned User
And1: 0

Is Redd the most overpaid and overrated player in the NBA? 

Post#1 » by BrewersGM » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:05 pm

It's just a simple question.

With all this negative talk about Redd and the Bucks it made me think. We have a guy who has a max contract and doesnt earn it! Most of us know this...Yeah he can score, thats all he can do it seems. I know there are others out there with huge contracts that bring more everynight to their team. I honestly cant think of any other player in the league worse than Redd! He brings no leadership, he plays no d, doesnt pass enough, doesnt rebound. His numbers are 26/3/2 everynight! Were paying 96 million over 6 years for this. He looks really bad lately!

Am I wrong? I dont think so... He is the most overrated player in the league getting paid max dollars!

Maybe Rashard Lewis, but you know what there winning games so it doesnt matter at this point...

Can you name someone worse?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,181

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:06 pm

Who overrates him?
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Re: Is Redd the most overpaid and overrated player in the NB 

Post#3 » by Simulack » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:06 pm

BrewersGM wrote:Can you name someone worse?

Marbury.
BrewersGM
Banned User

Post#4 » by BrewersGM » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Who overrates him?

AAAAaaaaaaaaa Bucks fans! Most of us are thinking why did Kohl agree to pay him this much...
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#5 » by Newz » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:09 pm

Larry Hughes, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis (His contract is still going, just got bought out), Ben Wallace, Rashard Lewis, Shaq, Jermaine O'neal to name a few.

Redd is right around the skill level of a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson type guy... I think he's a little better or a little worse than those three, but overall in the same category.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#6 » by L&H_05 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:10 pm

Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#7 » by Comet » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:25 pm

Man, Redd is underrated, at least outside this board. I want to deal him as much as anybody, but most of the time when posters here post Redd trade proposals on other boards they treat Redd as worthless, and Redd is far from worthless.

But as for overpaid, yes, he's massively overpaid. He doesn't deserve a max contract. But, there are more overpaid players, like Michael Finley, Chris Webber, and Stephon Marbury. There are more but I'm too lazy to think of them.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User

Post#8 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:27 pm

Redd is alittle overpaid but half the NBA is overpaid. Redd should be a second option on a good team. I still think the Cavs are the perfect fit for Redd, Im still suprised he didn't sign there. Redds a one of a kind player in the NBA not many like him, but hes not a star player.

Simmons is way overpaid for what he brings. Same goes for Larry Hughes. when we signed Redd Hughes was int he same boat and if Redd didn't resign we probly would of signed Hughes.
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#9 » by icat2000 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:35 pm

Redd didn't sign with the Cavs because he wanted to be the top dog. He wouldn't be that at the Cavs so thats why he stayed in Milwaukee.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#10 » by InsideOut » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:38 pm

Way overpaid.

Not overrated. Yes, some people do overrate him but a lot of people also underrate him. I think that means he falls in the middle somewhere. When he's traded I think we'll find out just what he's worth. Unfortunately by looking at trade threads here and on the other RealGM boards it looks like he won't bring us that much. A guy from another board said, and I agree, we'll get one younger guy with moderate potential and some cap space. The teams that would want him like a Cleveland have nothing to offer. The rebuilding teams won't want to give up their young guys or picks for a SG with a max deal. The good teams are already good so they don't desperately need him and they are up against the cap so Redd's salary again plays a big role.
schweig
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by schweig » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:58 pm

Redd's contract is probably one of the better values on the team. He's producing at a far higher level than anyone else even with his shortcomings. Some of these guys statistically haven't even deserved a paycheck yet this season.

BTW guess who's our 3rd-leading rebounder (hint: he does nothing but score)?

There are still a lot of things he could improve, but making the top guy the figurehead for all the problems has a lot of drawbacks.
BrewersGM
Banned User

Post#12 » by BrewersGM » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:17 pm

LukePliska wrote:Larry Hughes, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis (His contract is still going, just got bought out), Ben Wallace, Rashard Lewis, Shaq, Jermaine O'neal to name a few.

Redd is right around the skill level of a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson type guy... I think he's a little better or a little worse than those three, but overall in the same category.

I agree with Wallace, all he does is play d... Marbury does suck but he is on a team full of wanna be's....

Hughes plays both sides when he is healthy...
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#13 » by unklchuk » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:17 pm

The good families of Milwaukee, some of them of German stock (as I am in part), raise frugal children.

Frugality makes it very difficult to understand the NBA.

Relax, and know that money is obscene, and is thrown about in obscene quantities. It means far, far less to the movers & shakers of today's world than it does to the good families of Milwaukee.

In short, I think Redd's contract is... acceptable. Not a bargain; not a travesty - just another bloated NBA contract. I don't worry about it.
AFAIK, IDKM
okanoho
Senior
And1: 1

Post#14 » by okanoho » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:20 pm

schweig wrote:
BTW guess who's our 3rd-leading rebounder (hint: he does nothing but score)?

oh well, you sure without him shouting "IGOT IT I GOT IT"
schweig
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by schweig » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:38 pm

okanoho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

oh well, you sure without him shouting "IGOT IT I GOT IT"

I wish he'd be a lot less concerned with stats in general, but you don't got anything until the ball's in your hands anyway. And if everyone shouted more maybe we'd be a little closer to defending a pick and roll.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#16 » by europa » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:04 pm

No.
Nothing will not break me.
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#17 » by THE DINJ » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:11 pm

How anyone can come on here after yesterday's game and post this with a straight face is beyond me.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#18 » by stellation » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:14 pm

You have to pay a premium for a guy like Redd. There aren't a lot of 6'6" guys with poor athleticism that don't play D and can hit open shots in the world, you have to pay extra for wing players.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#19 » by jeremyd236 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:23 pm

This is worse than the Charlie Bell trade. I'm shocked that this isn't locked.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#20 » by Newz » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:35 pm

BrewersGM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with Wallace, all he does is play d... Marbury does suck but he is on a team full of wanna be's....

Hughes plays both sides when he is healthy...

Yeah, Hughes plays both ends when he is healthy... And he plays them both poorly.

I'm pretty sure Cavs fans could tell you how absolutely awful Larry Hughes is. If you think Hughes is anywhere near as good as Redd you have no idea what you are talking about.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks