ImageImage

dirk nowitzki

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#61 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed May 7, 2008 12:29 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I like the idea of seeing if #7 and Simmons would get Josh Howard. Then I'd keep Redd. Do the old standby of Mo for Haslem. Sign Duhon. I'd be ok with that team going into next year.

I agree though with the sentiments above that Cuban will try another year with Dirk and Kidd. And he might want to add Redd to the mix to do that. So I'd also make the Redd-Howard deal.

Duhon sucks. Let Cuban sign Duhon. Charlie Bell is better than Duhon. Can we stop talking about Duhon?

As far as the Josh Howard deals, those only make us marginally better or worse. Howard doesn't have the game to be the main guy.

Isn't there a thread for Howard deals?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,352

Post#62 » by paulpressey25 » Wed May 7, 2008 12:36 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:-= As far as the Josh Howard deals, those only make us marginally better or worse. Howard doesn't have the game to be the main guy.

Where are we going to get the main guy then if we pick #7 in the lotto?
Rockmaninoff
General Manager

Post#63 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed May 7, 2008 12:42 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Where are we going to get the main guy then if we pick #7 in the lotto?

That's why you trade anybody on the team for a high draft pick(s), or you trade for Dirk Nowitzki and pair him with Bogut and Rudy Fernandez.

We need a great backcourt player and a great frontcourt player. Right now, we have neither.

Unless we are going to build a sum-of-it's-parts team. Then, it all comes down to the salary structure, and paying guys exactly what the are worth, and nothing more. This is what worries me about Bogut's extension.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Post#64 » by fam3381 » Wed May 7, 2008 1:50 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:As far as the Josh Howard deals, those only make us marginally better or worse. Howard doesn't have the game to be the main guy.

The Howard deal isn't about upgrading the talent level so much as giving you a much better contract and a player who can play on both ends. Even if he's slightly less talented, he can at least play defense and rebound in addition to scoring 20 ppg.

That's about as good as we can do unless Cuban completely panics and flips us Dirk, or if Carmelo decides he needs to top his DUI/speeding tickets by beating up someone's grandma tomorrow. And I know many people aren't even sold on Carmelo, even though he's clearly a more dominant player than Redd (and also happens to be paid slightly less and is a half decade younger).
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#65 » by InsideOut » Wed May 7, 2008 2:25 pm

I don't see how any of these trades make sense for Dallas. The fact that they traded for Kidd means they are in a win now mode. I doubt they scrap that after 6 weeks of Kidd. And even if I'm wrong and they decide to rebuild, Redd is about the last guy a rebuilding team would trade for. I also can't see why they'd do Howard for Simmons and #7. Simmons has negative trade value. We'd give him away for free if we could. The 7th pick might interest them but if Dallas is in win now mode that 7th pick is going to do a lot less to help them win now than Howard would. And if they are in rebuild mode I think we all agree that the odds of the 7th pick in this draft being better than Howard are slim.

The only deal I see Dallas think long and hard about would be Redd and Yi or Redd and the 7th pick for Howard. This trade doesn't make them that much worse right now and they both help Dallas in the future. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bucks didn't make these two offers.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,352

Post#66 » by paulpressey25 » Wed May 7, 2008 2:26 pm

Again the theme comes back to this Western Conference also rans and how one of them will trade a cornerstone piece out of frustration.

Fam, I'd take Carmelo here as well.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,696

Post#67 » by SupremeHustle » Wed May 7, 2008 2:45 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Duhon sucks. Let Cuban sign Duhon. Charlie Bell is better than Duhon. Can we stop talking about Duhon?

I agree. And if you changed Duhon to Haslem I'd agree even more. This fascination with mediocrity continues to amaze and baffle me.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#68 » by Bucks_Revenge » Wed May 7, 2008 2:49 pm

is Dirk stock value the same as to KG last season...because the Celtics gave up allot.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#69 » by jerrod » Wed May 7, 2008 2:53 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:is Dirk stock value the same as to KG last season...because the Celtics gave up allot.

ha!
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,093

Post#70 » by Siefer » Wed May 7, 2008 3:05 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:is Dirk stock value the same as to KG last season...because the Celtics gave up allot.

So did the Lakers when they traded for Gasol. I certainly hope we don't get ripped like LA did.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#71 » by smooth 'lil balla » Wed May 7, 2008 6:12 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:You guys are all looking at this from the perspective of Milwaukee fans and wondering why Dirk would ever be traded by Dallas.

I agree it would be a long-shot, but Dallas is in their own way as bad off as we are. Or at least their fans feel that way.

It all depends on expectations. Dallas has been going for a title now for seven years. And now they are clearly going backwards. You can't even argue against that.

Sometimes teams in that situation just get tired of the status quo, even if the status quo is 54-wins every year. Teams in that situation think about doing desparate things (like trading for Kidd). Players in that situation get tired of playing on the same team with the same guys and never making it year after year.

I'm not saying our package of assets to pick and choose from (Yi, Redd, Mo, #7 plus cap filler) is 100% equal value, but rebuilding teams with young stars (like a Durant or Brandon Roy) or say a top two pick in this draft (Rose/Beasley picks) aren't going to trade those assets for Dirk. They just aren't.

Dallas can either try and rebuild entirely around Dirk while blowing everything else, or they can trade Dirk and blow it up, but with some new assets. And we've actually got ok assets to offer up in the second scenario.

Yea, but in this scenario they are rebuilding with Yi. Like you said, the trade only works for them if they think he's better than dirk in a few years.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#72 » by europa » Wed May 7, 2008 6:22 pm

Siefer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So did the Lakers when they traded for Gasol. I certainly hope we don't get ripped like LA did.

You're kidding, right? The Lakers gave up nothing of significance to get Gasol. That was one of the most ridiculous fleecings in league history. It was so blatantly one-sided there were a lot of pissed off GMs in the league because they had offered a lot more for Gasol and kept getting turned down. I'd love to see the Bucks steal Dirk away from the Mavs the way the Lakers stole Gasol but I can't see that happening. I think it will take a helluva lot for Cuban to even consider trading Dirk. I think Howard is the guy who will go and I think the Bucks should at least jump into the water and make an offer.
Nothing will not break me.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,093

Post#73 » by Siefer » Wed May 7, 2008 7:55 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You're kidding, right? The Lakers gave up nothing of significance to get Gasol. That was one of the most ridiculous fleecings in league history. It was so blatantly one-sided there were a lot of pissed off GMs in the league because they had offered a lot more for Gasol and kept getting turned down. I'd love to see the Bucks steal Dirk away from the Mavs the way the Lakers stole Gasol but I can't see that happening. I think it will take a helluva lot for Cuban to even consider trading Dirk. I think Howard is the guy who will go and I think the Bucks should at least jump into the water and make an offer.

If by one sided you mean the Grizzlies stole Kwame Brown from LA, than yes I agree.
Dirkenstien41
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#74 » by Dirkenstien41 » Wed May 7, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi everyone,

Been reading through this forum and I felt perhaps it would help all of you out to put the Dirk trade theories to rest.

Frankly it's just not going to happen and out of all of the posters on this thread Europa seems to have the best grip on Dallas' current state of mind right now. There is just absolutely no way Cuban trades Dirk because he just loves the guy and Dirk is probably more valuable to the Mavs organization than he is worth on the trading market.

With that said, many Dallas fans want to try to rebuild around Dirk and Kidd to give the championship run another shot. Howard is a great talent but he is our most valuable trading piece that is actually available so many think we will explore moving Howard for another player more suited to play with Kidd and Dirk.

In general, Mavs fans really like the idea of doing a deal for Redd but there are questions about his defense and his contract.

I think this is what Dallas would accept in a trade offer:

Dallas Gets:
Michael Redd
2009 lottery protected. (throw in this year's second round pick and I think it seals the deal for Dallas.)

Milwuakee Gets:
Josh Howard
Jerry Stackhouse (only 2 mil guaranteed after next season*)

*Edit: Initial offer wasn't fair to Milwaukee so this has been revised.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#75 » by europa » Wed May 7, 2008 8:02 pm

What about Redd/2nd for Howard/Stackhouse? I wouldn't want to part with both Redd and Yi to get Howard.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#76 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 7, 2008 8:03 pm

Dirkenstien41 wrote:Hi everyone,

Been reading through this forum and I felt perhaps it would help all of you out to put the Dirk trade theories to rest.

Frankly it's just not going to happen and out of all of the posters on this thread Europa seems to have the best grip on Dallas' current state of mind right now. There is just absolutely no way Cuban trades Dirk because he just loves the guy and Dirk is probably more valuable to the Mavs organization than he is worth on the trading market.

With that said, many Dallas fans want to try to rebuild around Dirk and Kidd to give the championship run another shot. Howard is a great talent but he is our most valuable trading piece that is actually available so many think we will explore moving Howard for another player more suited to play with Kidd and Dirk.

In general, Mavs fans really like the idea of doing a deal for Redd but there are questions about his defense and his contract.

Dallas Gets:
Michael Redd
#7 or Yi

Milwuakee Gets:
Josh Howard

Considering the talent level between Howard and Redd is not that high, I think 7 or Yi is too much to give up in addition. Don't think that helps us much.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager

Post#77 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed May 7, 2008 8:03 pm

Dirkenstien41 wrote:

Dallas Gets:
Michael Redd
#7 or Yi

Milwuakee Gets:
Josh Howard

The problem with that offer, is that we get it with no vasoline. No thanks.

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#78 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 7, 2008 8:04 pm

Dallas Gets:
Michael Redd
#7 or Yi

Milwuakee Gets:
Josh Howard

Edit: double post
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#79 » by Nowak008 » Wed May 7, 2008 8:05 pm

Redd+09 first lottery protected for Howard+Stack
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#80 » by Johnny Newman » Wed May 7, 2008 8:08 pm

Dallas Gets:
Michael Redd
#7 or Yi

Milwuakee Gets:
Josh Howard
Thats to much for Howard. I know Redd is a non defending chucker. But damn. I almost spit my beer out laughing at this lopsided deal. I know we all got our purple glasses on here and over value. But Howard isn't that much better. Doesn't deserve a high first of Yi. Next you be talking us into taking on Dampiers contract too I suppose. :rofl:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks