ImageImage

06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Re: 06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation 

Post#801 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 am

It's very possible that Randolph is available at 13, but if he isn't or we wanted to go a different route, Rush, Arthur, Speights, Greene, and others are nice prizes available at that spot. I have no issue trading down to Portland to shed a contract or two, especially if 2 of the 3 supposed players we identified at 8 are seemingly going to be available at 13.
Go Bucks!
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#802 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:14 am

Or maybe teams aren't quite as interested in Joe Alexander as we've been led to believe and the Bucks believe he can be had at #13.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,785

Post#803 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:14 am

europa wrote:
Blaze01 wrote:Someone on another board posted about a deal with POR\MIL that was done or about done...

What was the deal?

I'm curious to know what board and who it was that said this.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#804 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:17 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:Or maybe teams aren't quite as interested in Joe Alexander as we've been led to believe and the Bucks believe he can be had at #13.

I can't remember what user it was, but somebody made an interesting point, a rather funny one at that, about every team seemingly using Alexander as a smokescreen. More power to the Bucks if they can trade down, shed a few contracts, and still pick up Alexander.
Go Bucks!
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#805 » by steger_3434 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 am

trading down to unload contracts is not the "win now" approach that Wichmae has stated so I doubt that is the case. Sure, getting rid of Gadz or Simmons and still getting our guy will set us up for the future, but it doesn't do a damn thing for us next season.

This team is in serious trouble in respect to public opinion in the Milwaukee area. Trading down and unloading some contracts will look very poorly to the general public. In order to make make some noise and increase season tickets a move up getting a "mayo" type player, trading for a top prospect, or signing a big name free agent is the only way to go. Since the FA market won't be happening for us and all signs point to none of our key guys getting trading meaning no big name player coming back, it looks like trading up is the only way to draw interest.

Not saying that is what Hammond has in mind, but selling season tickets and drawing interest to this club has to be a little bit in Hammonds job description.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,260

Post#806 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:26 am

Randolph's got some physical tools and if he puts it together he could be a real gem. I wouldn't have a problem with him. If he's the guy that the Bucks are locked in on and they can dump Simmons and Gadz in the process I'm fine with that. He's a guy I include on the same tier as Alexander, Lopez, and others in that mid-lotto range.

Certainly not my first choice of deals but not one that I'd go **** over.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#807 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:32 am

steger_3434 wrote:trading down to unload contracts is not the "win now" approach that Wichmae has stated so I doubt that is the case.
No offense to wichmae, but he hasn't established the credibility of his sources positively or negatively. And even if he had, there's a new regime in charge now. I'm not calling him a liar by any stretch of the imagination, but to actually doubt logical conjecture on the basis of it not meshing with wichmae's vague statements? I don't know about that.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#808 » by steger_3434 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:35 am

adamcz wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:trading down to unload contracts is not the "win now" approach that Wichmae has stated so I doubt that is the case.
No offense to wichmae, but he hasn't established the credibility of his sources positively or negatively. And even if he had, there's a new regime in charge now. I'm not calling him a liar by any stretch of the imagination, but to actually doubt logical conjecture on the basis of it not meshing with wichmae's vague statements? I don't know about that.

Very true. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since I've hung out with him a few times, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea of what his sources are.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#809 » by aaprigs311 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:49 am

Joe Alexander will NOT be on the board at 13. No chance. I could understand if a few teams led us on to believe they were in love with him, but there appears to be a plethora of GM's who covet Alexander. On the other hand, I do think Randolph would be around at 13. Maybe if a team does trade up and steal Joe Alexander from us we make the trade with Portland to unload a bad contract or two. I still see us trading up to get #5 from Memphis or even #3 from MN if the right cards fall.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#810 » by bango_the_buck » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 am

Sigra wrote:So we are not trying to keep #8 and yet we are not aiming at other picks eather. Win Now. No rookies next year. Trading pick for vetaran help.

But what would trading for a veteran have to do with what Miami's doing with the 2nd pick? Unless of course we're trading for Shawn Marion... 8-)

Mo/Simmons/#8 for Marion anyone...?
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,940

Post#811 » by emunney » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 am

I don't think Randolph or Alexander will be there at 13... I still think Randolph should be, but I don't think he will be. My guess is we'd be looking at Speights/Arthur/Rush/Greene if we move down. That, or we'd only move down if Randolph or Alexander are there.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,637

Post#812 » by raferfenix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:00 am

I'm surprised there isn't more Gerald Wallace talk---many on this board (especially me) have been pining for him shortly after we chose to sign Bobby Simmons at twice the price.

Wallace certainly follows the win now scenario Wichmae is discussing, so anyone else jumping on the bandwagon of hoping it's him?
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,423

Post#813 » by randy84 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 am

I am all on board getting G.Wall. I definately think he would be a great upgrade on this team. Unfortunately I don't know how the Bucks could do it.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#814 » by aaprigs311 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 am

raferfenix wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more Gerald Wallace talk---many on this board (especially me) have been pining for him shortly after we chose to sign Bobby Simmons at twice the price.

Wallace certainly follows the win now scenario Wichmae is discussing, so anyone else jumping on the bandwagon of hoping it's him?

I'd love Gerald Wallace. He pretty much does everything well. What would it take though?
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,637

Post#815 » by raferfenix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:10 am

It's hard to say how much the Bobcats would value our pick, as Larry Brown has never been high on rookies and that team is in a win now mode. That team as currently constructed doesn't seem to be working though, if only for how injury prone both wallace and okafor have been.

MJ has always been a major Bobby Simmons fan, and despite his flaws he definitely is a Larry Brown kind of guy. Maybe a package of Simmons/CV and our pick could get a deal done for Wallace and change (wichmae referred to a package).
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#816 » by El Duderino » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 am

steger_3434 wrote:trading down to unload contracts is not the "win now" approach that Wichmae has stated so I doubt that is the case. Sure, getting rid of Gadz or Simmons and still getting our guy will set us up for the future, but it doesn't do a damn thing for us next season.

This team is in serious trouble in respect to public opinion in the Milwaukee area. Trading down and unloading some contracts will look very poorly to the general public. In order to make make some noise and increase season tickets a move up getting a "mayo" type player, trading for a top prospect, or signing a big name free agent is the only way to go. Since the FA market won't be happening for us and all signs point to none of our key guys getting trading meaning no big name player coming back, it looks like trading up is the only way to draw interest.

Not saying that is what Hammond has in mind, but selling season tickets and drawing interest to this club has to be a little bit in Hammonds job description.

The Brewers are in the same town as the Bucks and for many years, the Brewers couldn't have drawn lots of fans to the park even if tickets were for free. Look at the team now, Miller Park is regularly sold out and per capita, they draw fans better than any team in baseball i believe.

No question that the new stadium plays a big role in the greatly improved attendance, but the much better product on the field is also a huge reason for it. What did the Brewers do to finally change things besides firing Bando? They stopped trying to band-aid things each year in an effort to appease fans and act like they were trying to win now. They finally rebuilt fully and the right way. They stopped signing mediocre vets given the team wasn't near contention and instead pumped more money into the draft. While waiting for the kids to arrive, there were more ugly seasons of losing baseball, but smartly the team didn't waste money during this time by trying to win a few extra meaningless games. Now the youth has arrived and both the present and future looks bright, the city is very excited again about the Brewers.

Regardless what Hammond does this offseason, the Bucks aren't going to win 50 games and get the city all excited about the Bucks. If though Hammond does end up choosing the more rebuilding route that includes trying to shed bad contracts, he just has to be honest and up front with the fans about what he's trying to do vs pulling a Harris and place unrealistic expectations on the team. Fans then will start filling up the Bradley Center again at some point in his tenure if the fans see he actually has a plan that starts coming together. Winning and seeing that a real contender might be being built is what will finally bring not only fans back to the arena, but get the city buzzing again about the Bucks. If that takes an extra year or two, i'm all for it if the end result is good vs potentially trying to hard to win ASAP and thus limiting the teams ceiling over the next 4-5 years or so.

I'll do my best to support either direction that Hammond ends up choosing, the results are what he should be judged on. I just really hope that that Hammond doesn't think to short term in an effort to try and win right away, that we end up right back in that 38-44ish win range, without much upside or promise to go much higher.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#817 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:29 am

The Bucks are in more trouble than the Brewers were simply because the taxpayers will not be willing to fund an arena project for the Bucks as was done for the Brewers, so the Bucks need to start winning sooner rather than later, or at the very least playing like they did in their 41-41 season under Terry Porter where people were going to games and enjoyed watching that team because they played hard and as a team.
Debit One
Starter
And1: 87

Post#818 » by Debit One » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 am

europa wrote:If he takes Randolph instead of Love I may start a petition to bring back Larry Harris.

If the Bucks made that move (drafting Randolph while Love was still on the board) it would be the most frustrating move for me that the Bucks have ever made.

Well, next to signing Gadz to that stupid contract. :D
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#819 » by bango_the_buck » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:47 am

Draft Notes: Heat might deal way out of Beasley pick

By Chad Ford

It's looking clearer and clearer that the Bulls will be taking Derrick Rose with the No. 1 pick, so much of the attention in the draft is turning to the Miami Heat, who are slated to select second.

Michael Beasley is the obvious choice at No. 2, but the Heat's words and actions behind the scenes continue to point to a possible trade if Rose goes No. 1.

Sources said Heat president Pat Riley made a number of phone calls on Monday trying to gauge what was available to the Heat at No. 2 after finding out that Shawn Marion will not opt out of his contract.

One source told Insider that the Heat are revisiting trade talks with the Grizzlies. Insider reported several weeks ago that there was talk that Memphis would give up Mike Miller, Kyle Lowry and the No. 5 pick as part of a package for the No. 2 pick. The same source said the Heat are asking the Grizzlies to sweeten the deal by substituting Mike Conley for Lowry. The deal would be Conley and the No. 5 pick to Miami for the No. 2 pick and Daequan Cook.

That trade would land Riley the point guard he covets and still get him a high lottery pick in the draft. The Heat would likely choose between Kevin Love or Brook Lopez at No. 5.

While the price is high for the Grizzlies, they have great depth at the point guard position and could afford to lose Conley. Memphis' biggest need is at the power forward position, and Beasley appears to be a once-in-a-decade talent at the 4 -- a perfect fit for a young and upcoming Memphis team.

The Heat are also talking to the Timberwolves, Sonics and Clippers. The problem is the Wolves don't have much to offer. The Sonics can offer Chris Wilcox and the No. 4 for a deal that brings them the No. 2 and Mark Blount. That could save the Heat cap space. But it may not be enough.

The Clippers have a player that Riley covets deeply in Elton Brand. A deal that swaps Brand and the No. 7 pick for Marion and the No. 2 pick could be another alternative for Riley if he isn't comfortable with Beasley.

Think you've got the Rose-Beasley debate figured out? One respected NBA general manager who's drafting in the second half of the first round said the Bulls and virtually everyone else is getting it wrong.

"Michael Beasley is far and away the best player in this draft," the GM said. "He's going to dominate in this league. How could you pass on him? I know everyone is talking about character this and character that, but come on, he's not a bad kid."

As for Rose, the GM says he thinks he's overrated: "Derrick Rose is a good player, I get that. But he's not a franchise player. I don't think people are getting with Rose what they think they're getting. He's athletic and plays really hard. But he has just decent court vision and can't take over a game offensively."

When asked about the Heat possibly passing on Beasley at No. 2, the GM said, "It's a joke. He's so much better than anything the Heat are going to get offered. I don't understand it."

Some veteran GMs drafting later in the first round are scratching their heads at our last mock draft -- especially some of the high risers in the draft.

"Russell Westbrook is a role player who probably is a sixth man on a good team," one GM said. "How has he risen to a top-10 pick? I'd take Leandro Barbosa over him any day of the week. Westbrook is athletic, fast and plays defense, but a top-10 pick? I don't see it."

Here's another GM on Robin Lopez: "Can you name the last time a guy who averaged five rebounds per game in college was suddenly labeled a rebounder in the draft? Robin Lopez is a backup, not a lottery or mid-first-round pick."

Said another GM: "Name one international player who has made [it] in our league who's averaged five points per game or less in his home country. Alexis Ajinca is a workout wonder, but there is no precedent for a player with his poor production making it in the league. He's going in the lottery?"

One potential deal that could have an interesting impact on both teams? Sounds like the Suns and Clippers are talking about a deal that would send the No. 7 pick and Corey Maggette to Phoenix for Barbosa and the No. 15 pick.

That deal only works if Maggette decides not to opt out of his contract this week. If he opts out, Maggette couldn't be signed-and-traded until mid-July.

It looks like French swingman Nicolas Batum is ready to hit the workout circuit again. Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, told ESPN.com (and every team in the league) that Batum was cleared this morning by the respected Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute.

As we reported late last week, Batum ran into some trouble during stress echo testing -- a treadmill test that measures the health of the heart -- in Toronto and New Jersey, raising fears that he may have a heart issue.

Ndiaye said teams will get a full medical report on Tuesday morning detailing his physical. If teams are satisfied with the results, it should put Batum (who slipped to No. 33 in our last mock draft) back into the first round.

He works out for the Spurs in San Antonio on Tuesday.

The NBA released its Green Room invitations Monday. No huge surprises there. Sixteen players were invited. My advice is that three of them decline. Robin Lopez, Darrell Arthur and DeAndre Jordan are predicted to go anywhere from No. 12 to No. 28.

There's a very real chance that one of those guys sits in the room a long time before hearing his name called. My gut tells me Jordan is the most likely candidate to have a long night in the Green Room.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#820 » by El Duderino » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:59 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:The Bucks are in more trouble than the Brewers were simply because the taxpayers will not be willing to fund an arena project for the Bucks as was done for the Brewers, so the Bucks need to start winning sooner rather than later, or at the very least playing like they did in their 41-41 season under Terry Porter where people were going to games and enjoyed watching that team because they played hard and as a team.

Depends on how long a "rebuilding" plan took. If Hammond made moves that added say an extra year or so until results started being seen, but the long term future was brighter, i think that's also better for the franchise.

Say Hammond moved back a bit in the draft or traded Redd/Mo in moves that cleared a bunch of salary, thus this year the team wasn't very good, yea attendance would be poor. If though the next offseason, the cleared money allowed for Hammond to make a really good trade that involved taking on a bigger contract and the team then started to look very promising, i think it's worth it.

I do understand the position the Bucks franchise is in, apathy has set in big time, many sports fans in the city don't care about the Bucks. I'm just trying to point out that bad teams in pro sports can compound on those problems and really limit their future growth in regards to building a real contender if they put to much effort into patching together a team that's better right away, but there isn't a bigger plan to get beyond just being a solid fringe playoff contender. Teams that try to rebuild while also winning right away, fail more often than not at both things.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks