ImageImage

Draft day follow up

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

barbados73
Junior
And1: 8

Draft day follow up 

Post#1 » by barbados73 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:13 am

With the Bucks trading for RJ and drafting Alexander, what are the Bucks next moves. It appears that they could use a starting defensive minded PF and veteran pass first PG. Looking around the league it looks like the possible PF's who might be available(realistically) would be the same old names, Varejao, Haslem, and I'm sure Denver would part with Nene, KMart, or possibly Camby for cap relief. As for the PGs there doesn't appear to be much other than the Hinrich, E.Watson type guys. What if the Bucks look to go another way? Sort of revisiting a deal that was talked about mid season. Trade Redd, CV, and Dez to Houston for McGrady and Scola. We have all said that Mo needs to play off a Kobe/Wade type guy and McGrady is that and Scola is just a smart, crafty young PF who would fit in the starting lineup nicely.

PG-Mo/Sessions
SG-McGrady/C.Bell
SF-R.Jefferson/J.Alexander
PF-Scola/FA
C-Bogut/Gadz

Try to fill out the bench with veteran role players. Just a thought.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Re: Draft day follow up 

Post#2 » by jerrod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:18 am

interesting
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,229

Post#3 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:24 am

Scola is reportedly going to sign overseas.......they were unsure he'd stay here.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
JustinCredible
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#4 » by JustinCredible » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:25 am

Not interested in having a team with our two biggest stars (McGrady and Jefferson) being injury prone. Interesting thought but not something I'd be on board with.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 am

Well, we're not moving Redd now IMO, they did the RJ trade to get him some offensive help. Right now I'd say the locks to be on the roster next year are Sessions, Bell, Redd, Jefferson, Bogut, Alexander, Gadzuric. I expect Mbah a Moute to either be here or in the D League, and Ilyasova could be here but he won't be traded.

That leaves Mo/Mason/CV as possible trade pieces.

Now, the two biggest questions are:

1. Does Hammond think a Mo/Redd backcourt can work, and furthermore, if he moves Mo does he feel Sessions is ready to run this team full-time?
2. What are the thoughts on CV? You have to think Hammond/Skiles do not want him as the starter, but that's just my opinion.

PG and PF are the positions in flux.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#6 » by Balls2TheWalls » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:42 am

Give me these 2 deals and call it a year:

CV + Des + 2009 Top 12 Protected 1st round draft pick

for

Kirk Hinrich

Mo Williams + 2009 2nd round draft pick

for

Udonis Haslem + Daequan Cook

Hinrich / Sessions / Bell
Redd / Cook / Bell
Jefferson / Alexander / Mbah A Moute
Haslem / Alexander / Gadzuric
Bogut / Gadzuric

I like that team a lot.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#7 » by paul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:43 am

yeah a really interesting thought, not sure it goes down but i do feel sure something will. Right now we've got the same problem we've had for a few years - every one of our starting 5 will want to shoot the ball and the one who many of us would like to see shooting more - bogut - will undoubtably be the one who will suffer from it.
I love the RJ trade, no complaints here, but I do feel like probably Mo and CV will be traded, possibly using Des' expiring and/or The Prince as sweeteners. As much as I want a Prince on our team and actually like him as a player (from what I've seen and read) I'm not sure he stays given the acquisitions of RJ and Alexander. Add a high quality defensive PG (maybe Hinrich) and a banging 4 (Maxiell? Haslem?) and this looks super sweet with a couple of additions, with the shots going in the right places.

Hinrich/Sessions
Redd/CB
RJ/Alexander
Haslem/Alexander
Bogut

Might be just me but I think that's top 2-4 in the east next year provided the chemistry and coaching works out, with scope for improvement in the future.

ETA - Great minds balls2thewalls, we posted that at virtually exactly the same time
Neptune_Balla21
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Neptune_Balla21 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:45 am

Clearly PG and PF are our biggest question marks right now... but I think the biggest hole of the two is at the 4. We are desperate for a tough, rebounding. defensive-minded power forward. There isn't one of those players on this roster right now, unless you consider Alexander a 4.

IMO Mo is expendable for sure, and you have the luxury of knowing Sessions is right there to play for you. If you pull off the Mo/Haslem deal you accomplish the goal of getting a rebounding hustle-freak PF and you still have a true PG waiting to be in control. Even at this point you have CV nd D.Mase to hopefully acquire a vet PG. Hinrich would be nice, and fairly realistic IMO.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#9 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 am

Why do we have all these grandstanding look at me threads?

Use one thread...to centralize all these topics that have to do with the NBA draft! Everyone is making new threads just to say "I got it first' instead of getting one or two threads with one topic...

Mickey and Paulpressey got their hands full so I will step back and let them continue to do a great job of managing this board...

It just gets blogged down and confusing...

This "Draft Day Follow Up" thread but reason of its own name should be locked until tommmorrow.
barbados73
Junior
And1: 8

Post#10 » by barbados73 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:08 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Why do we have all these grandstanding look at me threads?

Use one thread...to centralize all these topics that have to do with the NBA draft! Everyone is making new threads just to say "I got it first' instead of getting one or two threads with one topic...

This "Draft Day Follow Up" thread but reason of its own name should be locked until tommmorrow.

And then you go and start a new thread on the basic thoughts in this one(as for needing the PG and PF). I thought the point of these boards were for discussion and I had an idea that I wanted to run past everyone and get their opinion on.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#11 » by WRau1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:17 pm

I can't wait to see how Redd and RJ work. Redd spotting up, RJ slashing with Bogut HOPEFULLY drawing a double team.

I think if we can package CV/Mason/Future 1st for a shot blocker/defender at the 4 then we can still keep Mo at the point. A frontcourt of RJ/defender-shotbloker/Bogut will do wonders for the layup drill that has been going on for the last 3+ years.
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#12 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:26 pm

What about Krstic or Diop if we can dump some salary in a Mo deal? could Krstic play 4 or Diop to back up 5?

don't see NJ resigning both since they are in rebuild and Lebron sweepstakes mode

they have Lopez at center and a logjam of Yi, Sean Williams, Boone, and Swift at PF
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#13 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:31 pm

More Bang For The Bucks wrote:What about Krstic or Diop if we can dump some salary in a Mo deal? could Krstic play 4 or Diop to back up 5

don't see NJ resigning both since they are in rebuild and Lebron sweepstakes mode

they have Lopez at center and a logjam of Yi, Sean Williams, Boone, and Swift at PF

Sean Williams is the correct answer.

To make a contender out of the Redd, Jefferson, and Bogut triumvirate, we need one of the starting role players (at PG and PF) to be a Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

I don't think Hinrich is quite at that level.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Post#14 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:49 pm

If you ask me, the primary concern right now is trading Mo for pf depth or for a true pg. All draft day follow up concerns come back to this.

Mo for Haslem or Mo and Gadz for Varejao/expirings make a lot of sense. Mo straight-up for Andre Miller would be pretty sweet as well and would add about $1.5 mill to the sixers cap space this summer while giving the Bucks an ideal pg whom Sessions can model himself after.

The Nuggets might trade Camby for some cap relief, and I could see them wanting Varejao and some of Cleveland's expirings. A 3-team trade sending Mo and Gadz to Cleveland could work.

It all depends on whether you think Sessions and Bell can be the top two pg's on an otherwise very talented team, though. I do, so I would trade Mo for a pf and be done with it.

I'd even settle for Joe Smith, Damone Jones, and an unprotected #1 pick in 2011.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks