ImageImage

Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Re: Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee 

Post#121 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:39 pm

trwi7 wrote:Wish I still had some of my sociology stuff to put up with crime statistics by city. The best I can find on the internet is from 2005. Since Minneapolis was brought up earlier I'll use that too.

All of this is based per 100,000 population.

Murder:

1. Atlanta 20.9
2. Milwaukee 20.6
3. Minneapolis 12.5

Forcible Rape:

1. Minneapolis 106.9
2. Atlanta 51.8
3. Milwaukee 26.9

Robbery:

1. Minneapolis 687
2. Atlanta 664
3. Milwaukee 501

Aggravated Assault:

1. Atlanta 938
2. Minneapolis 648
3. Milwaukee 479

Burglary:

1. Atlanta 1,544
2. Minneapolis 1,471
3. Milwaukee 786

Larceny/Theft:

1. Atlanta 4,410
2. Milwaukee 3,725
3. Minneapolis 3,452

Motor Vehicle Theft:

1. Atlanta 1,337
2. Milwaukee 1,140
3. Minneapolis 1,035

Total Crime Index:

1. Atlanta 8,965
2. Minneapolis 7,412
3. Milwaukee 6,678

Yeah Atlanta and Minneapolis are so much safer than Milwaukee. :roll:

Not sure where you got this, but what about Washington DC?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,301

Post#122 » by soboMP3 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:42 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Whether or not an NBA city or MLB city is attractive or not has way more to do with the state of the team than the city that it is located in. Not that the city isn't a factor, but I believe it to be secondary.

Case and point with the Brewers. We have one of the blackest teams in baseball: Weeks, Hall, Fielder, Cameron (one of the reasons he signed was the presence of numerous black players), Sabathia (who is loving the atmosphere here). The Brewers have created a winning culture and it creates a free agent buzz for players of all colors and nationalities.

The Bucks have in all truth been a horribly run franchise that has burned players (Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Dez Mason) in recent history. That doesn't go unnoticed around the league. We haven't won since the Big Three almost 8 years ago. We haven't had a real coach since George Karl. We have a leader (Redd) who is not a leader and is a shot happy no defense one way player. We have a #1 draft pick that hasn't had the impact that other #1's have had recently (not knocking Bogey, I love the kid, but this is an outsiders view). Why would NBA players be excited to come play for us?

Now that we have better structured management and we are bringing in quality leadership off the court and on the court perhaps our culture will begin to change.

As far as the city goes, I've been to places all over the world and still love Milwaukee and will probably always call it home, even if I do move somewhere else for awhile. Segregation is definitely a problem, but it's a complicated problem that will not be solved in a short period of time. Like nature, the tigers hang out with the tigers, the lions hang out with lions, the zebras hang out with the zebras. It's not a crazy idea, it's an inane trait in our brain. This is how it's become in Milwaukee. This dates back quite a long time when immigrants came into Milwaukee in the early 1900's and it was much easier for the Italians to stick together as well as the Polish, Germans, Swedes, Jewish, blacks, hispanics, etc.

I would like to point out that you don't have to be black to have experience racism. As a white person can tell you, it is not always a friendly experience to go into neighborhoods where you are the minority. I go to establishments in black areas, hispanic areas, etc and the experience is sometimes no problem, sometimes a big problem. I analyze each situation and make future plans accordingly.

Supreme obviously had some bad experiences and chose to move away. Thats his perogative and every American has the right to pursue happiness, if he found it in MPLS, then more power to him. But I don't think you should trash this city just because it didn't work out for you. Whether you believe it or not, Milwaukee is a very diverse city and is home to many ethnically diverse cultures.

Excellent post. I don't really have a problem with Gilbert's comment because they are out of pure ignorance, as he has not lived here, and has only been here a handful of times. I do have a bigger problem with similar comments from fellow Milwaukeeans. A lot of the time, it seems like Milwaukee's suburbs/outlying areas loathe the city of Milwaukee and perpetuate an image of self-hatred. That kind of thing infuriates me.

Milwaukee is a great place. The city, particularly, of course has many problems that will take a long time to solve. There is no quick solution to MPS, unemployment, and crime. They will take time and cooperation from the entire county. Only then will it improve. But I love living on the East Side. There are so many great neighborhoods in Milwaukee to live in and do things - East Side, UWM, downtown, Third Ward, Fifth Ward, Marquette, Bay View, Riverwest. All have very diverse populations and so many things to do.

I imagine most players that come here stay at the Pfister and hit one of the clubs on Milwaukee St. and thats about it. Of course this place will look bland... Especially when the schedule dictates coming here in the winter/early spring when most of the time the city seems like a ghost town. If we make the ECFs again, sometime maybe the visiting team will see Milwaukee when its warm and green :D.
bandini
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#123 » by bandini » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm a frog.

I enjoyed the city of Milwaukee during the 6 months i lived at my grandparent's home. Loved Mazoo's, Caroline's Jazz club (Big O and The Shakers !!! each wednesday).. and all places where i could drink a beer.

I lived South Milwaukee and there was a warmful corner bar where people miss me so much. So certainly, i was just a tourist, i don't have to bother with the daily tasks but anyway i loved this place.

But i'm very recognizing with this town where i did my first steps in USA.

Gilbert is a joke. I have the chance to visit Washington. Great place but donwtown is awful (banks, banks, banks all around) and too difficult to find a good records shop.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#124 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:02 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I'm very serious, except for the Baghdad part.

I figured you weren't serious, it's just that if you haven't lived there don't say it. I've got buddies living there right now and I'm sure they would rather be in Milwaukee. Nuff said.

I've lived in Wisconsin almost 40 years, and have been in and out of businesses and residences all over Milwaukee and never had a problem with anyone. I've been all over the world too, and while there are a few nicer places you can do a lot worse than Milwaukee. There are plenty of things here you won't find anywhere else in the world that make it special.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#125 » by BrewCityBBQ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Heres a very positive outsiders opinion from L.A. that came into town for the new Harley Museum:

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-milwaukee6-2008jul06?parent=family-kids&type=interests

Milwaukee

Beer. If that's your first thought after hearing the word "Milwaukee," you haven't been here lately.

In the last decade, the country's 25th largest city has gone through such a massive revitalization that "cosmopolitan" is a more apt description than "blue collar." Have a Pabst if you wish, but there's a whole lot more to sample, whether it's microbreweries and organic coffee or modern art and architecture.
thefloorgeneral
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#126 » by thefloorgeneral » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:26 pm

The thing that most people looking from the outside don't understand is the fan base in Wisconsin. As has been stated before, Milwaukee (or all of Wisconsin, with the exception of Madison) is primarily blue-collared, hard-working middle class. We don't go to the games to sit next to Spike Lee, Jack Nickolson, or to watch a superstar who's on trial for rape. We go because we're die-hard fans, we love the game, and we enjoy the company of the thousands of other people just like us, chugging our Miller Lite and eating a brat.

Milwaukee will never be a place for athletes to become famous through association, and not through their skill on the court. When we've made noise on the national level in the past, it was because we had some genuine talent, doing what they were paid to do. Isn't that what sports are all about? And, as mentioned before, that's why the NBA continues to suffer when compared to the NFL and MLB, because the hip-hop generation of cry-baby "super"stars have turned into a spectacle of self.

The Gilbert's of the NBA can stay in their star-studded metros, I don't want them here.

It doesn't help that Milwaukee continues to have a bad rep from the way things were in 60's and 70's. It's not the same city today. The downtown area is one of the cleanest I've been to in comparison to it's size. The crime thing is completely over-dramatized. Although the numbers don't lie, the bad areas are very concentrated any more, as with any city no matter where you are. The segregation is still there, but with the variation in income being so little in comparison, I have never felt it to be a "racist" city.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but things like this get me fired up. I'll be at Buck Bradley's drinking a cold one...
Fandom
Junior
And1: 1

Post#127 » by Fandom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:33 pm

A nice civil discussion; hat's off to everyone so far in this thread. I live in an outlying suburb of Milwaukee, but I actually don't have a problem with the city of Milwaukee itself; I do, however, have a problem with Wisconsin weather and that's usually the first thing that comes up when I talk to someone who is not from here. While we usually have a really nice hot Summer, the Winters are just too harsh for my wife and I which is why once the kids graduate from high school, we're moving out-of-state ASAP; we prefer hot, sticky and humid weather year round!
Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#128 » by Comet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:Not sure where you got this, but what about Washington DC?

Washington Crime Statistics and Milwaukee Crime Statistics

Murder

Washington = 5.75 times the national average
Milwaukee = 2.40 times the National Average

Forcible Rape

Washington = 1.33 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.14 times the National Average

Robbery

Washington = 3.11 times the national average
Milwaukee = 2.20 times the National Average

Aggravated Assault

Washington = 2.19 times the national average
Milwaukee = 0.96 times the National Average

All Violent Crime

Washington = 2.63 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.49 times the National Average

Burglary

Washington = 0.97 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.19 times the National Average

Larceny or Theft

Washington = 1.04 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.45 times the National Average

Car Theft

Washington = 2.83 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.75 times the National Average

Arson

Washington = 0.00 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.93 times the National Average

All Property Crime

Washington = 1.27 times the national average
Milwaukee = 1.44 times the National Average

Property crime is slightly worse in Milwaukee, but violent crime is much worse in DC, especially murder.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#129 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:51 pm

0 Arsonists in WDC? Must be a cushy place to be a Fire Fighter.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,676

Post#130 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Bernman wrote:
Mike, I don't know if I've discussed this with you already, but you should consider making a documentary on the issue if you're really passionate about it.

I would, but that would require me to spend time in Milwaukee. :tooth

It's definitely something to think about. At the very least the research would be revealing.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#131 » by Diggr14 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 pm

that just means WDC is at the national average.

I too like this discussion, it has been very above board.

As someone who lived in Madison for years and now live in Wauwatosa, I have loved being in Milwaukee. Im frequently downtown and I like the area. Yes, the city is segregated, but people typically are more comfortable around people that look like them and that they can relate with. It's been that way since the dawn of man... it's not changing anytime soon. But it also doesnt mean that the societies dont interact. They do!
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#132 » by halfHAVOC » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 pm

adamcz wrote:
halfHAVOC wrote:but also lol im from new jersey/new york area i would never want to move to the midwest. once you get used to the nightlife and whatnot here its like u can't just leave it , always something exciting to do.
Just depends on what your interests are. NY caters to my interests with all the jazz clubs, museums, symphony, etc, but NJ does not. As far as I'm concerned (and again talking only about my own interests) there's nothing to do in NJ. It's just a place with a billion highways and strip malls, and a very high cost of living. I do enjoy the diversity, which yeilds great restaurants and grocery stores among other things, but I don't think it has much in the way of culture. I'm anxious to leave.

lol depends where you live in NJ

but mostly when i go out with my friends we go to the more northern areas in NJ or near the college scene if not we hit up the city which isn't very far.

minus the city, NY is pretty boring theres nothing else really to it thats why NJ/NY doesn't matter where u live u still have access to the city.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#133 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:15 pm

doesn't matter where u live u still have access to the city.

I have "access" to every city in the world via an international airport 30 minutes from my place, but that's a very relative term. For me, NYC is 1.5 hours and $20 away on the train. That means I'm not going to check out a jazz club on a week night, and I'm not often going to stop by the museum on Sunday when I also need to squeeze in grocery shopping and other chores. To me there is a big difference between living in an area that has the things you want, and having "access" to an area that has the things you want. Unless you live in Hoboken/Jersey City or Seaucaus (undesireable places IMO), you don't have quick and painless access to NYC, which means the "metropolitan" lifestyle is something you experience one or two days a week as opposed to 24/7.

I'm not knocking on NJ either - just pointing out that different people prefer different things. For people who prefer smog and 10x the average national housing price, NJ could be great (only a joke!).

To me personally, the ideal places to live are the cities that offer a reasonable cost of living, and some approximation of what NYC offers culturally. And contrary to what "every" basketbal player thinks, I prefer cold to heat. Minneapolis would be a good example.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#134 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Paschke's response to Agent Zero.

http://www.nba.com/bucks/features/Paschketball.html
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#135 » by Fort Minor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:21 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I'm not sure what this means. You think I moved away from MKE after we had our son? I haven't lived there since '91. I got married in '02 and we had our first in '04. MKE was a mere fart in the wind at that point.

No, that was not my assumption. I was more focused. I assumed that you had moved away, and now since you've had your child, you "couldn't imagine raising him" here.

SupremeHustle wrote:Good for you. Sounds like you're happy there. Where in Milwaukee do you live?

I live in Riverwest, in a community which is basically broken up into "the west side of Humboldt" and the "east side of Humboldt." I live on the east side of humboldt, which definately isn't as bad in general, but it's not like I don't venture over to the other side (considering none of my friends on the block anyways). Went to Gaenslen Elementary School, then to MEC Middle school, then to Riverside High School. The only one of those three that had any diversity problems was MEC.

SupremeHustle wrote:Have you been talking to my agent or manager? Or both?

It just seems to me like you hardly even try to imagine a "good outcome" from raising your child here, at least from the info you've given the board, considering there are many people around here that grow up with diversity all around them.

SupremeHustle wrote:Quiet the contrary, actually. The most important things to me when looking for a house is diversity and a great school system. For me, it's about giving my kids all the opportunities and advantages I couldn't imagine (heh) getting living in a place like Milwaukee.

Huh? I don't see how you could've mixed my words up this way, but what I meant was that if everyone had your line of though (i.e. "I could never imagine raising my children there"), the diversity problem would be incredibly hard to fix, and everyone who could afford it would move out of the city.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by Fort Minor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:27 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I've never run into a person of color who has said that, unless you count Fort Minor, who has friends of all races, shapes and sizes, but even he admitted to a segregation problem.
[/quote]

Of course there's a problem. It cannot and should not be ignored. I'm just saying, in my opninion, the average person in Milwaukee experiences more diversity than people are led to believe.

power4wardjinx wrote:Atlanta's the promised land in the deep south, Fort Minor -- it 's the capital of the deep south. Been that way for 25 years. There's a black middle class there, there is opportunity there; there is an economy there. Lately, Atlanta folks have been beefing about the real estate market, but at least Atlanta is tied in. I've lost a lot of friends to Atlanta.

It's been going on for so long -- the black brain drain out of Milwaukee -- I can't believe it's even an issue or arguable at this point.

So what is your point? Stay in Kill-waukee and die?

I've been there just short of a dozen times (have family there), and it seems eerily similar to Milwaukee in my opinion, like it's MIL's older brother. And actually, when put up to concrete facts, it's worse than "Kill-waukee." I guess I just don't see how Atlanta can be so revered while Milwaukee is put in the public ****ter file. If someone would like to steer me away from my ignorance, I'd love to here why Atlanta > Milwaukee, and please, do it better than p4jinx did.

EDIT: Props to MD for letting this discussing carry out, and props to the board in general, for being to discuss this in such a manner where emotion does not get this best of them.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,676

Post#137 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm

It's all good, Fort. I went to Riverside for a hot minute, too. I had to catch the city bus from Kneeland St. in the Hillside projects. You know where that is?
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by Fort Minor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:51 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:It's all good, Fort. I went to Riverside for a hot minute, too. I had to catch the city bus from Kneeland St. in the Hillside projects. You know where that is?

That actually isn't that far from MEC, right (on King and Pleasant st.)? Like a mile west if I;m remembering correctly.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think you'd know it as MEC middle school since you said you moved in 1991. I think it was still the Pabst building then.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,556

Post#139 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:53 pm

People seem to be worried about violence calling Milwaukee "Killwaukee". A city is only as dangerous as the parts of it you hang out in. I was down there a month ago to visit some friends. Had dinner at Cafe Hollander, then to Paddy's on Murray and then finished the night at Trinity downtown. Never once did I fear for my life. If you hang out at places where violence is a possiblity, then sure, the city could be dangerous.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#140 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:54 pm

This thread goes to show that we here on this board seem to talk about city issues much more in depth and often than the city of Milwaukee does. Usually it centers around the business aspect of the city, now we're delving into some really serious issues that has plagued this city for awhile. We all recognize the segregation problem Milwaukee has, but in typical Milwaukee fashion, the people in charge of the city seem to turn a blind eye to it. RealGM FTW. F. T. W.

Now quick, we need another NBAer to bash Milwaukee Public Schools or the Milwaukee Police Department.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks