ImageImage

Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Re: Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee 

Post#181 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:37 pm

jerrod wrote:i don't see how picking a city based on 1. how happy you'd be living there, and 2. how competent your employer is makes your priorities out of wack

sounds pretty logical to me

if any of you were choosing between jobs in different cities, aren't those the things you'd base your decision on?

Very good point. We hold athletes to a standard we don't hold ourselves to. We mostly look for jobs that pay well in locations that we'd like to live in. I don't have any friends who have mentioned that they primarily want to work for a company that leads its industry, but don't care how much it pays or where they have to live.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,947

Post#182 » by stellation » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:01 pm

That's a good point adam (and I do agree with it), but playing devil's advocate; how many of your friends work in seasonal jobs that pay them millions of dollars in a career where they only have to work for 10 years to set themselves up for life?

Actually I do know a couple of guys working in Dubai right now in an attempt to pretty much do just that.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#183 » by bigkurty » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 pm

stellation wrote:That's a good point adam (and I do agree with it), but playing devil's advocate; how many of your friends work in seasonal jobs that pay them millions of dollars in a career where they only have to work for 10 years to set themselves up for life?

Actually I do know a couple of guys working in Dubai right now in an attempt to pretty much do just that.

See the problem with that thinking is that it is all relevant. If you were good enough at something that paid you that much, you would still be a regular person and have different feelings and preferences about where you played no matter how blessed you knew you were. Just like RJ getting traded. It sucked for him cause he is forced to do it essentially to keep making that kind of money and that is part of that job but that doesn't mean he will like it. In the end, he probably took a few days to digest it, realized there was nothing he could do given thats part of his profession that pays him huge sums of money, and he probably just decided to accept it and make the best of it. Thats what any of us would do probably.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#184 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I doubt many NBA players care about unemployment rates or incarcerations rates. They care about 1. Night life and 2. the organization. Often in that order. For those players who care about the city night life, that's fine but I don't want you on my team. If you can't handle 6 months without top quality strip clubs and night clubs while making millions, I don't want you on my team.

For those that care about the organization and winning, those are who I want on my team. And yes, the Bucks have not been a good organization at all. Hopefully that's changing.

Well the thing is, its not like they have to go 6 months without it. Hell look at some of our own past douchebags. Gary Payton, Jason Caffey, and Anthony Mason all managed to get in trouble at a Toronto club during a roadtrip. So its not like the season even prevents them from these things.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#185 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:26 pm

stellation wrote:That's a good point adam (and I do agree with it), but playing devil's advocate; how many of your friends work in seasonal jobs that pay them millions of dollars in a career where they only have to work for 10 years to set themselves up for life?

For every person here who thinks NBA players should be happy to play anywhere, there's a guy starving in a third world country who thinks you and I should be happy with any job at all. If one of those people saw the jobs that I've turned down based only on location, they'd think I was a jerk. But among the American middle class, it's the norm.

I don't feel that I'm a jerk for turning down any jobs in cities I don't want to live in, so it's hard for me to think Gilbert Arenas is a jerk for not wanting to play in Milwaukee. On the other hand, I believe that a person should be judged on how good their word is, so if you sign a contract that says you will do something and then try to get out of it, I lose a lot of respect. NBA contracts say you can be traded anywhere, so you don't sign one unless those conditions are acceptable to you.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#186 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 pm

I don't think Gilbert is a jerk for not wanting to play in Milwaukee, but am not sure its necessary to trash our city on his blog.

Not that I care much either way, just felt the need to point out that there is a difference between not wanting to personally play here, and telling the world how "nobody wants to play in Milwaukee" (or whatever he said).
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#187 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Someone told me that there was a 11 page thread over Gil's comments on the Milwaukee board, but I didn't believe him. Christ, sensitive much?? Go ahead and post a video of that Sessions kid hitting the jumper over Gil to build your self esteem...if it already hasn't been posted. :lol:
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#188 » by BrewCityBBQ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 pm

Jbiz to JWiz, F*ck off.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#189 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Someone told me that there was a 11 page thread over Gil's comments on the Milwaukee board, but I didn't believe him. Christ, sensitive much?? Go ahead and post a video of that Sessions kid hitting the jumper over Gil to build your self esteem...if it already hasn't been posted. :lol:

Our board is like four times more active than the Wizards board, so you'd have to use conversion rates to understand how long this thread is. It's like a 2.75 page thread for you.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,944

Post#190 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:51 pm

I think about everything has been said on this one.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,222

Post#191 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I think about everything has been said on this one.

But we haven't discussed how lucky Gilbert is that the Wizards matched our Etan Thomas offer sheet........
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,944

Post#192 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 pm

Now we have :D
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks