ImageImage

Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Re: Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee 

Post#41 » by El Duderino » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 pm

DannoMac20 wrote:Just like Charles Woodson hated coming to Green Bay, and now loves it. Players need to give it a chance.

I think that's reaching a bit

Woodson only signed with the Packers because we offered by far the most money. After playing in GB i think he views it as being not as bad as he expected, but a lot because the team has won and he was used to losing in Oakland. If the Packers were losing, my guess is Woodson would be counting the days until his contract was over.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#42 » by Profound23 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Well it appears he feeds off the booing and wants us to boo him when he comes to Mil. We should all cheer for Arenas really loud and honor him when he comes to Milwaukee. Offer him a key to the city then say "that is how we would welcome you if you were a Buck....no soup for you". And slap his hand.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#43 » by Chapter29 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 pm

europa wrote:It's hard to argue with what Gilbert is saying because he's just being honest - most players don't want to play for the Bucks. And even if a player is going from a bad situation like the Nets were in this past season to Milwaukee, it's still being viewed as a major step down in the eyes of many players - especially the ones who care more about image than winning like Gilbert Arenas.

But what I find really amusing about Gilbert's comments is he seems oblivious to the fact that players aren't exactly rushing out to play for the Wizards either. Somebody might want to ask Gilbert if he knows when his team's last 50-win season was. Here's the answer:

Gilbert, it's been three decades since your team had what would be considered by most estimates to be a great season. By comparison, the Bucks' legacy in that time looks Celtics-esque. I always find it funny when players rip on Milwaukee and they happen to play for teams that have been even worse then the Bucks for a longer period of time. I think it reveals quite a bit about who they are and what they really care about.

I've said before that I think Arenas is arguably the most selfish player in the NBA. He's not a guy I'd want near my team since I don't think he has a true commitment to winning. The Wizards can have him and I wish them the best of luck trying to contend with him.

This is all true, but you do realize that he is most likely talking about the non basketball stuff. I mean who cares if you don't win games as long as you look good doing it and can go out on the town and live large right?
Giannis
is
UponUs
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#44 » by fam3381 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:20 pm

I think the best thing to do would be absolutely nothing. Don't cheer or boo, just act like he's not even there. I think it's obvious from the way Gil plays, acts, blogs, etc that his primary concern is attracting attention wherever he goes. He'd much rather be booed than go unnoticed.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,224

Post#45 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 pm

The disconnect Gilbert has with reality is one reason why the NBA is the third tier sport, far below baseball and the NFL.

We really don't have to take this personally as "Milwaukee" because you can substitute in Memphis, OKC, Cleveland and a bunch of other either cold weather or small markets. As noted above, the average NBA multi-millionaire basically wants a warm place where he can get down the ladies. That's fine, but then they will continue to leave marginal dollars on the table that the other sports will get.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#46 » by europa » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 pm

Chapter29 wrote:This is all true, but you do realize that he is most likely talking about the non basketball stuff. I mean who cares if you don't win games as long as you look good doing it and can go out on the town and live large right?

Yup. Arenas strikes me as the kind of player who would much rather be living in New York and win 30 games a year than live in Milwaukee and win 50 games a year. The guy's all about image. I don't believe he truly has any interest in winning.
Nothing will not break me.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#47 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, he's sort of right. No one is demanding to come to Milwaukee. Doesn't change the fact that Milwaukee is a great city. All this does is add more intrigue to Bucks-Wizards matchups, games that are usually crazy enough to begin with.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#48 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 pm

LoL Fam w/ Mequon FTW. I just moved from Mequon to Grafton. When we were looking at houses, we drove through the neighborhoods that Gadzuric, Bogut, Skiles, etc live in. The houses are pretty impressive.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#49 » by Troubadour » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Let's be honest, no one wants to go to Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, or Memphis. Gilbert is basically speaking for every NBA player when he says no one wants to play in Milwaukee. Do you think if Andrew Bogut could get the same money from LA, Chicago or NY, he would honestly stay in Wisconsin? Get real. If the Bucks were contending, the situation might be a little different; however, the team is rebuilding, they haven't made the playoffs in ages, and they don't have much cap flexibility in the coming years.
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#50 » by THE DINJ » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 pm

agentzerotoTO wrote:Let's be honest, no one wants to go to Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Memphis, or Canada.
Fixed.

Sorry, too easy :)
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#51 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 pm

A Raptors fan coming to troll about how no one wants to play in Milwaukee? Really? Maybe the Raptors fans shouldn't forget their not to distant past.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
RamonSessions
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#52 » by RamonSessions » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 pm

agentzerotoTO wrote:Let's be honest, no one wants to go to Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, or Memphis. Gilbert is basically speaking for every NBA player when he says no one wants to play in Milwaukee. Do you think if Andrew Bogut could get the same money from LA, Chicago or NY, he would honestly stay in Wisconsin? Get real. If the Bucks were contending, the situation might be a little different; however, the team is rebuilding, they haven't made the playoffs in ages, and they don't have much cap flexibility in the coming years.

Get out of here, when it comes down to it, its all about the game and when it comes to Gilbert Arenas his game is just so flawed by the attitude that he carries, he will never lead a team to the Finals, he might piggy back on some championship team just to get his in the future but he will NEVER lead Washington to the Finals playing the way he does--

agent Arenas to TO ? :lol:
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#53 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:46 pm

LOL @ Canadians.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#54 » by emunney » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:52 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:But the segregation and the crime alone is just too much for me.

Hey, if that's your reasoning, you should be calling Gilbert out more than anyone. He's in D.C., the segregation and crime capitol of the country.

PS Also actual Capitol of the country.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#55 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 am

mbucks22
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#56 » by mbucks22 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 am

agentzerotoTO wrote:Let's be honest, no one wants to go to Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, or Memphis. Gilbert is basically speaking for every NBA player when he says no one wants to play in Milwaukee. Do you think if Andrew Bogut could get the same money from LA, Chicago or NY, he would honestly stay in Wisconsin? Get real. If the Bucks were contending, the situation might be a little different; however, the team is rebuilding, they haven't made the playoffs in ages, and they don't have much cap flexibility in the coming years.

Well, you live in Canada, so I wouldn't really be trashing any other city.
beyond_the_arc
Starter
And1: 46

Post#57 » by beyond_the_arc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am

SupremeHustle wrote:I'm very serious, except for the Baghdad part.

Note: I'm talking about Milwaukee proper. Not the 'burbs and such. I have no idea what life in a Milwaukee suburb is like. I'm sure it's lovely. And maybe the city itself has improved. But the segregation and the crime alone is just too much for me. I'm waaayyy too new school for those old school antics.

Minneapolis FTW. Seriously.

That's hilarious given how spread out and useless downtown Minneapolis is. Give me a cleaner city in St. Paul any day.
Postby SubyWill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Magic fan checking in, holy **** Harris is legit. Your GM should be fired.

No ****.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#58 » by Andrew34r » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:47 am

While I have no intention of ever moving back to Milwaukee for several reasons with very little to do with city itself.... I take these comments personal. But I will say this...winning makes a city look a heck of a lot better as does the facility. Take the Brewers for example, you a have some top players now saying they wouldnt mind playing in Milwaukee. Get a great arena with a state of the art lockeroom and practice facility. Make some noise in the playoffs and the perception will change...maybe not in Gilbert's eyes but that would make perfect sense because he cares about himself and not winning.
mnstinks
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#59 » by mnstinks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:06 am

What has Gilbert ever done in the NBA other spend a million dollars on his own birthday?
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#60 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:16 am

Balls2TheWalls wrote:A Raptors fan coming to troll about how no one wants to play in Milwaukee? Really? Maybe the Raptors fans shouldn't forget their not to distant past.

Yeah I agree, I think most players want a winning environment and money. But those perceptions aren't the same any more.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.js ... 4025_12708
around the 2:40 mark

Players agents have actually inquired about their players coming to Toronto. Gilbert's comments were way out of line though, players like this douche handicap markets for no reason.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks