ImageImage

Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Re: Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee 

Post#61 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am

mnstinks wrote:What has Gilbert ever done in the NBA other spend a million dollars on his own birthday?

He's been to the first round of the playoffs a few times.

Yay...
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#62 » by Comet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:33 am

Milwaukee isn't exactly a prime destination, but it's not a hellhole, either. Gilbert's bashing wasn't necessary. No one should take him seriously.

agentzerotoTO wrote:Let's be honest, no one wants to go to Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, or Memphis. Gilbert is basically speaking for every NBA player when he says no one wants to play in Milwaukee.

Every single NBA player? Almost every player would prefer New York, LA, or Chicago over Milwaukee, and a good majority of the league wouldn't want to be traded there, but others don't mind Milwaukee.

agentzerotoTO wrote:Do you think if Andrew Bogut could get the same money from LA, Chicago or NY, he would honestly stay in Wisconsin?

Probably not, but Bogut doesn't mind Milwaukee. He actually likes being here.

agentzerotoTO wrote:If the Bucks were contending, the situation might be a little different;

It would be very different. Gilbert doesn't care about team success, but many others do.

agentzerotoTO wrote:however, the team is rebuilding

Maybe not. We could potentially reload this off-season. We need to separate Mo and Redd and address our PF problem. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen, but hey, it can happen.

agentzerotoTO wrote:they haven't made the playoffs in ages

?

We haven't gotten past the first-round since 2001, but we made the playoffs 2 years ago (2006). Not that I enjoy first-round exits, but a 2-year span is hardly what I would call "ages".

agentzerotoTO wrote:and they don't have much cap flexibility in the coming years.

You have a point there, but until we're a legit contender, cap flexibility isn't worth very much.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,550

Post#63 » by Bernman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:34 am

I knew initially after I read Mike's post that it was fairly serious and one of the reasons he didn't appreciate Milwaukee was the segregation. I've always known that's the primary reason why Milwaukee gets a bad rap with athletes. You don't see nearly as high of a percentage of white athletes complaining about Milwaukee. The majority of athletes in the major sports are black, but in the night spots and downtown whites dominate numerically. If you're used to hanging out with white people all the time from your upbringing, it's probably not much of an issue. Fact is most black athletes didn't grow up in that environment. It's not that they're averse to hanging out with white people, just not perpetually.

BTW, I hardly think Milwaukee's segregation problem is blatantly racist. People overall in Milwaukee are blue collar and treat every dollar like it represents a represents every drop of sweat on their brow created from their thankless jobs. There isn't intrinsic satisfaction in the jobs themselves....money is the only rewarding part basically. Therefore, you'll have to pry it out of their cold hands. In turn many programs aren't funded which have long-term rewards like Milwaukee Public schools and the Pabst City Project. Milwaukee public schools of course requiring funding to allow blacks to move out of their inner city through education.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#64 » by REDDzone » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 am

I love how Raptors fans coming here trolling. How many players have refused to play for the Raps again?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,632

Post#65 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:02 am

beyond_the_arc wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:I'm very serious, except for the Baghdad part.

Note: I'm talking about Milwaukee proper. Not the 'burbs and such. I have no idea what life in a Milwaukee suburb is like. I'm sure it's lovely. And maybe the city itself has improved. But the segregation and the crime alone is just too much for me. I'm waaayyy too new school for those old school antics.

Minneapolis FTW. Seriously.

That's hilarious given how spread out and useless downtown Minneapolis is. Give me a cleaner city in St. Paul any day.

HuWha? St. Paul closes at 5, so that's just nuts. But yeah, I should have said Twin Cities FTW :). And you're nuts if you think downtown MPLS is spread out. It's too small to be spread out!

Now if I could swing it, I'd be chillin with Don Nelson in Maui, so Maui FTW!!!!
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#66 » by Hendrix » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:04 am

Raps have turned it around pretty decently in the last couple years. And I' pretty sure the bucks could too if they got a little better chemistry, and started making some waves in the east. Probably half of the NBA would be in the same position with free angents when the team is loosing, and disfunctional. What makes T.O, or the Bucks much different destinations then, Utah, Jersey, Cleveland, Indiana, Altanta, Denver, OKC, Minnisota, New Orleans, Memphis, or even San Anotnio, and Detroit if they had poor teams for a while?

Everybody wants to go to the Lakers, and people have never really wanted to play for the Clipps. Has nothing to do with weather, the city, the market etc... But has everything to do with winning, and salary imo. If the Bucks start winning again I don't think people will have any problem coming to Milwuakee, just my opinion.

agentzerotoTO wrote:Let's be honest, no one wants to go to Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, or Memphis. Gilbert is basically speaking for every NBA player when he says no one wants to play in Milwaukee. Do you think if Andrew Bogut could get the same money from LA, Chicago or NY, he would honestly stay in Wisconsin? Get real. If the Bucks were contending, the situation might be a little different; however, the team is rebuilding, they haven't made the playoffs in ages, and they don't have much cap flexibility in the coming years.

Dude, we we're on that list 2 years ago, and most of the Raptors time in the league.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,632

Post#67 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 am

Bernman wrote:I knew initially after I read Mike's post that it was fairly serious and one of the reasons he didn't appreciate Milwaukee was the segregation. I've always known that's the primary reason why Milwaukee gets a bad rap with athletes. You don't see nearly as high of a percentage of white athletes complaining about Milwaukee. The majority of athletes in the major sports are black, but in the night spots and downtown whites dominate numerically. If you're used to hanging out with white people all the time from your upbringing, it's probably not much of an issue. Fact is most black athletes didn't grow up in that environment. It's not that they're averse to hanging out with white people, just not perpetually.

BTW, I hardly think Milwaukee's segregation problem is blatantly racist. People overall in Milwaukee are blue collar and treat every dollar like it represents a represents every drop of sweat on their brow created from their thankless jobs. There isn't intrinsic satisfaction in the jobs themselves....money is the only rewarding part basically. Therefore, you'll have to pry it out of their cold hands. In turn many programs aren't funded which have long-term rewards like Milwaukee Public schools and the Pabst City Project. Milwaukee public schools of course requiring funding to allow blacks to move out of their inner city through education.

My son is biracial. I couldn't imagine raising him in MKE mainly because of the lack of diversity. Here, he goes to school and plays with kids of seemingly every race in the world. We live in Champlin, MN, a quiet little 'burb 20 mins north of Minneapolis.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Post#68 » by C_Money » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 am

For those of you that are bashing toronto, I'm just gonna let you know that Toronto is basically an exact replica of Chicago.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,956

Post#69 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:26 am

C_Money wrote:For those of you that are bashing toronto, I'm just gonna let you know that Toronto is basically an exact replica of Chicago.

Um, that's not a good thing you know
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#70 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 am

C_Money wrote:For those of you that are bashing toronto, I'm just gonna let you know that Toronto is basically an exact replica of Chicago.

Oh, well I'm sure we're going to bow to Toronto now that it's been compared to a city we hate.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,325

Post#71 » by rilamann » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:40 am

What a jagbag.

On behalf of the city of Milwaukee I dedicate this song to our good friend Gilbert Arenas (and Twirl too) haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70WN8DzSmQ

Somebody needs to make an Arenas mix to that song haha.

Edit to add im dancing on my desk great jam lmao.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#72 » by fam3381 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:40 am

Toronto's a cool town. It'd be a blast to live there at some point.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#73 » by REDDzone » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:48 am

Yea I like Toronto, its just funny to me that Raptor trolls come here talking smack about players not wanting to play here when they have a pretty big list of guys who have forced their way out of there.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#74 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 am

rilamann wrote:What a jagbag.

On behalf of the city of Milwaukee I dedicate this song to our good friend Gilbert Arenas (and Twirl too) haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70WN8DzSmQ

Aww that's sweet. How did you know I liked this song?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#75 » by Max Green » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:57 am

All things considered, Milwaukee is at the bottom of the rung compared to the other 29 NBA Cities. I would rank of us above Utah and Oklahoma, and probably Toronto, only because Toronto is still apart of Canada.

There's a reason why we pretty much have to overpay every free agent we sign. Anyways, I do believe that winning cures all, and if we can become a winning organization, more players will be willing to give our city a chance.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#76 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:11 am

REDDzone wrote:Yea I like Toronto, its just funny to me that Raptor trolls come here talking smack about players not wanting to play here when they have a pretty big list of guys who have forced their way out of there.

Actually look at the dude's name, AgentZeroinTO... that guy was probably just defending Gilbert... If I was being paid millions i'd live in Idaho or Saskatoon.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,285

Post#77 » by jokeboy86 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 am

This is Gilbert but I can't say that he's completely wrong. I was born and raised here in Milwaukee and there are some positive things about it but I'm 21 and African American and like many other African Americans in this city they will tell you what they really feel about this city. Most would tell you they would leave this city if they could. There are various news articles out there and have been for years that will prove this, Milwaukee is not an attractive place for African Americans period. I can't see myself living in this city for much longer and might move to ATL or NY with relatives. And I could also see why some NBA players might feel uncomfortable here. Yes, they would be rich but unlike bigger cities and other places, they would be surrounded entirely by white people. It can make somebody feel out of place quickly. It sounds silly to some people, but if you study African American history you'll see why it does bother some of us(not all)
Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#78 » by Ern III » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:57 am

DocHoliday wrote:I like Gilbert, and I'm not surprised by his comments. He just signed a 1kmillion contract...

Hey guys, at least you're not Utah fans. Who wants to live there?! Apart from Deron Williams... actually... forget I said anything.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#79 » by BrewCityBBQ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:15 am

You know I agree with those posters who say Milwaukee is very segregated. It is, its a problem that NEEDS to be addressed. I just wish Gilbert would come out and say this is why no NBA athlete wants to play in Milwaukee... Segregation, cold weather (during the NBA season)... anything. Name your reasons why.

But look to bash an entire city like he did is pretty weak. I love Milwaukee, but hey I'm a 26 year old white software developer who grew up here. But I love this city.
I've been to L.A.,San Diego,Long Beach,Seattle,Jackson Mississippi, Albuquerque New Mexico, Boston,Miami, Chicago, Denver some big and some small cities, and I still love Milwaukee. I know there are problems with the city, our leaders dont know how to manage ****. However, the city is improving, the night life is getting better. Theres hope for Milwaukee yet, and I'd just love to give a big flying f*ck you to Arenas, because as many of those who live in the city, we have pride and love this city for what it is.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#80 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:23 am

Jbizzness wrote:I've been to L.A.,San Diego,Long Beach,Seattle,Jackson Mississippi, Albuquerque New Mexico, Boston,Miami, Chicago, Denver some big and some small cities

Okay Johnny Cash. :wink:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks